• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Race to the Finish [Pg13]

The Jewel of Life

A Gift From Arceus
Hello there. I vanished from Serebii for a while... but I'm back now and ready for some fanfiction action!

However, I have a few notices.

I'm sure all of you have heard people ask you to not just say that their fanfic was great, but tell them why it was great. Do that for me too. I love criticism, and I most certainly wont get mad if you bash by fic as long as you tell me why it is bad and avoid being too harsh.

Okay then. This is a journey fic. I probably just lost about half of my potential readers there, but don't worry, for two reasons. Number one- I'm doing this as practice for using a cliche plot in a totally not cliche way, if that makes any sense. My second reason is that this has a huge twist to it. However, if you want to find out what that twist is, then read the first chapter. Or just skip to the last line. That works to.

~Chapter I: School Out, Adventure In~

The early summer sun had always felt nice on Isabella’s head, but not as nice as it did today- the last day of school. Breathing a sigh of relief, the pale-skinned girl walked back home after a day that had seemed almost endless. She was more than ready for summer to begin. But this wasn’t the beginning of just any summer- it was the beginning of her thirteenth summer. Isabella’s parents had given her a pokemon when she was ten, but hadn’t let her take it out on an adventure. Today, she would finally begin.

Thinking about this made Isabella all the more excited, and so happily she skipped through her small hometown of Cherrygrove. In her bliss, Isabella seemed not to notice the two boys chatting in front of her. When she finally realized, Isabella bumped into the short blond-haired boy who proceeded to bump into his far taller redhead friend.

“Aww, Bella, do you have to be so clumsy? Finally we’re thirteen and all of our parents are letting us take our pokemon all around the region. Don’t ruin it.” The taller of the two boys, having finished his statement, was now eyeing Isabella with a smirk.

“For the love of all that is right, are you EVER going to stop calling me ‘Bella?’ I’ve told you hundreds of times, my name is Izzy.”

This time it was the blonde who spoke in his astonishingly deep voice. “Uhhh… so Izzy, are you coming with us on our big journey-adventure thing or what?”

“Huh? What was that Carlos? Oh right… the journey. Well no duh I’m coming! Or at least, I will as long as Ace over here calls me Izzy instead of Bella.” Isabella spoke the last word in an obnoxious and ‘bratty’ voice, emphasizing her hatred of this nickname.

“Whatever, Izzy then,” murmured Ace. “Just go get your pokemon and meet us at the north exit to the town. We should start there; I see no point in going to the four houses that some retards call ‘Newbark Town.’”

“’Kay, I’ll make it quick. See you guys soon.”

Now Isabella was able to continue along the small dirt road that led up to her humble house. Completely ignoring the dirt collecting on her dark jeans and the locks of black hair, long and curled, which fell across her face, Isabella sprinted in the door to her tiny home and rushed on up the stairs to the bedroom she shared with her four-year-old sister. Immediately after entering Isabella flopped down onto the bed that belonged to her to catch some breath before she had to grab her pokemon and head out with Ace and Carlos. But the peace was short-lived; within a few seconds Isabella’s mother appeared in the doorway.

“Someone seems excited to be heading out with her pokemon.”

“Hell yeah!”

“Isabella! Don’t use that kind of language in this household!” In response to this, Isabella rolled her eyes cynically. Her mother noticed. “Ah, you remind me so much of myself. That is why I want you to have this.”

Now Isabella was curious. The black haired girl gazed intently at her mom’s hands as they pulled out a green backpack- the same shade as Isabella’s t-shirt –that appeared to be already full.

“Wow mom… thanks.”

“Oh, this old backpack isn’t all; I already filled it with a couple extra outfits, some crackers, a water bottle, and of course some money. I also put in your pokedex and pokegear. Finally, I found a few extra pokeballs from when I was a trainer and slipped them in there.”

“Really? All that! Thank you so much Mom! I’ll be sure to be careful and all that on my journey and stuff! Oh yeah, and I will also come back home to see you sometimes, mmm kay?”

“Of course my little flower, now go out there and get them!”

Satisfied with what she had done for her daughter, Isabella’s mother walked out, showing just a hint of reluctance as she passed through the door. Isabella herself was putting on her hand-me-down backpack with a big grin on her face and an excited aura about her. Finally she could travel the region with her pokemon.

That’s right, her pokemon. In her haste, Isabella was very close to leaving without him. Rolling her eyes, Isabella walked up to her cabinet and grabbed a red and white sphere off of it, only to place said sphere on her belt in a specially designed holder. But the sphere, which was called a pokeball, seemed awfully light. Zeke must have snuck out.

“Zeke? Where did you go buddy? It’s time that we got going- there is an adventure to begin and my friends are already waiting with their partners.”

A small cry was heard from under the bed, and ‘Zeke’ pushed his head out to gaze at his trainer. Confused for just a second, the fox-like pokemon flicked his black ears and examined Isabella with harsh blue eyes. Those eyes lit up when he realized what his trainer had meant and, overflowing with happiness, the dark creature leapt up onto his trainer’s shoulder, tapping her lightly with his tiny red feet.

“Zor zorua!”

“Alright, dude, let’s get on the road!”

Isabella patted her zorua on the head, messing up the flame like tuft of fur a little bit in the process, and walked out of her bedroom. From there she stepped a little faster down the stairs and out the front door, looking back once just to savor the last sight of her home before the big journey.

A few glances around and Isabella spotted her friends on the outskirts of town, obviously losing their patience. Not wanting them to wait any longer, Isabella jogged up to them, wincing a little when Zeke gripped her shoulder hard to keep his balance.

“Okay guys, I’m here! That means we’re all ready to go. So… are we gonna go or what.”

Ace glared at Isabella and she almost laughed at the scene of his chickorita glaring in the same way. Carlos was less bothered by her lateness and was simply patting his mareep who was giving off small sparks in her pleasure.

“Okay then, Bella, thanks for keeping us waiting. Lets go- onward to Violet city.”

“It’s Violet town you dip. By the way, my name is Izzy, not Bella. Get it right.”

“Seriously you guys, don’t spoil the fun of the adventure by arguing. Come
on mareep, let’s get started.”

“Eeep! Mareeep.”

“There, see you two? Be enthusiastic like Bo Peep, okay?”

“Fine.”

“All right.”

With this agreement, the trio stepped out of the town that they had all grew up in and onto a new and unfamiliar route filled with trees, grass, and hordes of pokemon. A flock of pidgey flew by overhead while a sentret who had been running along the side of the road stood on its tail and watched the trainers pass by. Occasionally, a ratatta would dart across the path and into the undergrowth beyond. However, the surplus of pokemon didn’t spark much interest in the trainers; sentret pidgey and ratatta were weak, common pokemon that were not very impressive in battle. As such, this first day of adventure passed with little conversation and almost no excitement.

All too soon, the last rays of sunlight were fading from the sky and Isabella, Ace, and Carlos decided that it was time to make camp. Although none of them had even tried to battle or capture a pokemon, the group had covered a decent distance and they were all proud of having got this far. With the three of them and their pokemon all working together, the trainers managed to build a camp. In the center was a campfire that Carlos’s mareep had lit with some sparks, and near the campfire was the sleeping bag that belonged to Carlos himself. Ace had brought with him two hammocks, and so he gave one to Isabella to put up in a tree and sleep in. But the dark hour before bedtime was the perfect time to talk around the campfire.

“So… Izzy, Carlos, what do you think we should do once we get to Violet ci- sorry, town?”

“Hey! You called Izzy, uh, Izzy! How nice of you. More to the point though, I want to become the greatest contest coordinator the world has ever seen. People will be amazed by the beautiful attacks of my even more stunning pokemon. Oh, and my pokemon will be strong too, so they can easily win the battles that also take place in contests.”

“Nice. Making pokemon look pretty may be fine for you, but I want to make them uber powerful fighting machines. That’s right; I am going to take on the gym challenge. One day I, Ace, will be the most powerful trainer in the world! Yeah, I’ll not only beat the champion of Johto, but of every other region too. No one will be able to stop me. Heck, I may even capture a legendary because I will be just that strong.”

“Those are some lofty goals Ace… So then, what about you Izzy?”

“Hmmm, well contests seem kind of fun, and gym battles provide an awesome challenge and I would have a great rival in Ace, but I feel I have a different calling then you two.”

“Oh, and what might that be Be- Izzy?”

“Oooh, I know! Do you want to be a pokemon breeder?”

“Or a famous dragon tamer?”

“Or a park ranger who helps the environment?”

“Or a member of the sinister team rocket who steals innocent children’s pokemon and exploits them for evil purposes and destroys all of Johto.”

“Come on Ace, be serious! But anyway, no. I don’t want to be any of those.”

“All right then,” said Carlos in a matter-of-fact kind of way. “Tell us. What will you be?”

“I don’t know what you guys will think of this, but I’d like nothing better than to train the greatest medalist team there ever was!”

“Medalist?”

“Right on Ace, the best medalist team ever. I’ve got the spirit, so let’s…
POKEATHALON!”

To Be Continued...

Last edited:

Misheard Whisper

The Fire of Dragons
Hello there. I vanished from Serebii for a while... but I'm back now and ready for some fanfiction action!

However, I have a few notices.

I'm sure all of you have heard people ask you to not just say that their fanfic was great, but tell them why it was great. Do that for me too. I love criticism, and I most certainly wont get mad if you bash by fic as long as you tell me why it is bad and avoid being too harsh.

Okay then. This is a journey fic. I probably just lost about half of my potential readers there, but don't worry, for two reasons. Number one- I'm doing this as practice for using a cliche plot in a totally not cliche way, if that makes any sense. My second reason is that this has a huge twist to it. However, if you want to find out what that twist is, then read the first chapter. Or just skip to the last line. That works to.
I must say, I already like your style.

~Chapter I: School Out, Adventure In~

The early summer sun had always felt nice on Isabella’s head, but not as nice as it did today- the last day of school. Breathing a sigh of relief, the pale-skinned girl walked back home after a day that had seemed almost endless. She was more than ready for summer to begin. But this wasn’t the beginning of just any summer- it was the beginning of her thirteenth summer. Isabella’s parents had given her a pokemon when she was ten, but hadn’t let her take it out on an adventure. Today, she would finally begin.
Let me just check this with you first. Are you of the club that doesn't believe in capitalising Pokemon or individual species? If you are, that's OK by me; I just like to know so that I know it's not a mistake.

I don't see anything terribly wrong with this paragraph, except for your use of the word 'today'. I'm not sure on the exact grammar rules for this, but in my experience, using words like 'today' and 'yesterday' in the past tense are a no-no. They imply that the story is taking place right here and right now, which it's clearly not. I suggest replacing it with something like 'that day'.

Thinking about this made Isabella all the more excited, and so happily she skipped through her small hometown of Cherrygrove. In her bliss, Isabella seemed not to notice the two boys chatting in front of her. When she finally realized, Isabella bumped into the short blond-haired boy who proceeded to bump into his far taller redhead friend.

“Aww, Bella, do you have to be so clumsy? Finally we’re thirteen and all of our parents are letting us take our pokemon all around the region. Don’t ruin it.” The taller of the two boys, having finished his statement, was now eyeing Isabella with a smirk.
This kid's statement seems a bit redundant. I can't imagine him giving that detail in real life, and you don't even need to dump it on the readers because you basically explained it a couple of paragraphs ago.

“For the love of all that is right, are you EVER going to stop calling me ‘Bella? I’ve told you hundreds of times, my name is Izzy.”
That quote mark should go inside the question mark, if it and its partner are even necessary at all.

This time it was the blonde who spoke in his astonishingly deep voice. “Uhhh… so Izzy, are you coming with us on our big journey-adventure thing or what?”

“Huh? What was that, Carlos? Oh right… the journey. Well no duh I’m coming! Or at least, I will as long as Ace over here calls me Izzy instead of Bella.” Isabella spoke the last word in an obnoxious and ‘bratty’ voice, emphasizing her hatred of this nickname.
This is where I invoke the classic author's mantra: Show, don't tell. If you just say: 'she said, placing an annoyed emphasis on the last word.' or something to that effect, it, combined with what she has already said, gives us the idea that she doesn't like being called Bella.

“Whatever, Izzy then,” murmured Ace. “Just go get your pokemon and meet us at the north exit to the town. We should start there; I see no point in going to the four houses that some retards call ‘Newbark Town.’

“’Kay, I’ll make it quick. See you guys soon.”
Haha, zing! Again, the single quotation mark goes inside the punctuation. (I'll stop pointing this out from now on if it happens again.)

“Really? All that! Thank you so much Mom! I’ll be sure to be careful and all that on my journey and stuff! Oh yeah, and I will also come back home to see you sometimes, mmm kay?”

“Of course my little flower, now go out there and get them!”
Because 'my little flower' is a form of addressing someone (sickeningly motherly though it is :p), it needs to have its own clause; that is, a comma on either side of it.

Satisfied with what she had done for her daughter, Isabella’s mother walked out, showing just a hint of reluctance as she passed through the door. Isabella herself was putting on her hand-me-down backpack with a big grin on her face and an excited aura about her. Finally she could travel the region with her pokemon.

That’s right, her pokemon. In her haste, Isabella was very close to leaving without him. Rolling her eyes, Isabella walked up to her cabinet and grabbed a red and white sphere off of it, only to place said sphere on her belt in a specially designed holder. But the sphere, which was called a pokeball, seemed awfully light. Zeke must have snuck out.
The bolded sentence is something like an internal thought, but it's written in the third person with no indication of being anything other than narration. Using terms like 'that's right' in narration is a bit iffy, especially when you use the present tense in a past tense situation. I suggest turning it into a thought - That's right, my pokemon! - or something to that effect.

“Zeke? Where did you go buddy? It’s time that we got going- there is an adventure to begin and my friends are already waiting with their partners.”
Same here as with 'my little flower'.

A small cry was heard from under the bed, and ‘Zeke’ pushed his head out to gaze at his trainer. Confused for just a second, the fox-like pokemon flicked his black ears and examined Isabella with harsh blue eyes. Those eyes lit up when he realized what his trainer had meant and, overflowing with happiness, the dark creature leapt up onto his trainer’s shoulder, tapping her lightly with his tiny red feet.
Oh god, what is this thing? It's not a zorua, is it?

“Zor zorua!”
. . . Damn. I hate these things. Anyway, I'm sorry. I'll try not to be biased, but I dislike the little rodent already.

Isabella patted her zorua on the head, messing up the flame like tuft of fur a little bit in the process, and walked out of her bedroom. From there she stepped a little faster down the stairs and out the front door, looking back once just to savor the last sight of her home before the big journey.
OK, it seems you are of the 'no capitalisation' mindset. I'm one of those writers who capitalises them all, but, as I said before, I'm totally cool with that. I won't flame you for it like some of my classmates at that school of thought would.

A few glances around and Isabella spotted her friends on the outskirts of town, obviously losing their patience. Not wanting them to wait any longer, Isabella jogged up to them, wincing a little when Zeke gripped her shoulder hard to keep his balance.

“Okay guys, I’m here! That means we’re all ready to go. So… are we gonna go or what.”
Beep beep, missing question mark alert!
Ace glared at Isabella and she almost laughed at the scene of his chickorita glaring in the same way. Carlos was less bothered by her lateness and was simply patting his mareep who was giving off small sparks in her pleasure.
The spelling is 'chikorita' sans the extra 'c', mmkay? Also, the word 'scene' doesn't quite fit here. Perhaps 'sight' would work better? I dunno.

“Okay then, Bella, thanks for keeping us waiting. Lets go- onward to Violet city.”

“It’s Violet town you dip. By the way, my name is Izzy, not Bella. Get it right.”
You know, I'm pretty sure it is Violet City. Or is that the joke?

“There, see you two? Be enthusiastic like Bo Peep, okay?”
Snrrk

With this agreement, the trio stepped out of the town that they had all grew up in and onto a new and unfamiliar route filled with trees, grass, and hordes of pokemon. A flock of pidgey flew by overhead while a sentret who had been running along the side of the road stood on its tail and watched the trainers pass by. Occasionally, a ratatta would dart across the path and into the undergrowth beyond. However, the surplus of pokemon didn’t spark much interest in the trainers; sentret pidgey and ratatta were weak, common pokemon that were not very impressive in battle. As such, this first day of adventure passed with little conversation and almost no excitement.
When listing, put a comma after every item except the penultimate. In this case, you need one after 'sentret'. Also, does this mean that these three kids have never, in their entire lives, left their hometown? I find that hard to swallow. (That's what she sai - *is bricked*)
All too soon, the last rays of sunlight were fading from the sky and Isabella, Ace, and Carlos decided that it was time to make camp. Although none of them had even tried to battle or capture a pokemon, the group had covered a decent distance and they were all proud of having got this far. With the three of them and their pokemon all working together, the trainers managed to build a camp. In the center was a campfire that Carlos’s mareep had lit with some sparks, and near the campfire was the sleeping bag that belonged to Carlos himself. Ace had brought with him two hammocks, and so he gave one to Isabella to put up in a tree and sleep in. But the dark hour before bedtime was the perfect time to talk around the campfire.
Nothing much bothers me about this paragraph, but something bothersome struck me while reading it. What are these kids' relationships like? I mean, it's evident that they know each other, but that's just about it. I don't know if they've been friends since they were in diapers or if they just met last week and hit it off. Do they have any history together? We need backstory as well as frontstory to make a good fic.
“So… Izzy, Carlos, what do you think we should do once we get to Violet ci- sorry, town?”

“Hey! You called Izzy, uh, Izzy! How nice of you. More to the point though, I want to become the greatest contest coordinator the world has ever seen. People will be amazed by the beautiful attacks of my even more stunning pokemon. Oh, and my pokemon will be strong too, so they can easily win the battles that also take place in contests.”
Who is speaking here? I managed to work it out thanks to a couple of hints, one of them a couple paragraphs down, but it confused me for a few moments, and I lost the flow of the story (though that's most likely my fault. I'm reviewing as I go, so there's not much streamlining going on. Ehehe.)

“Nice. Making pokemon look pretty may be fine for you, but I want to make them uber powerful fighting machines. That’s right; I am going to take on the gym challenge. One day I, Ace, will be the most powerful trainer in the world! Yeah, I’ll not only beat the champion of Johto, but of every other region too. No one will be able to stop me. Heck, I may even capture a legendary because I will be just that strong.”

“Those are some lofty goals Ace… So then, what about you Izzy?”
I said I wasn't gonna mention this again, but . . . NAMES ARE SEPARATE CLAUSES. (Apologies for the CLOD, but, well, meh.)

“Hmmm, well contests seem kind of fun, and gym battles provide an awesome challenge and I would have a great rival in Ace, but I feel I have a different calling then you two.”
Well contests? What's a 'well contest'?

HINT: I'm just being snarky - what I mean is that you need a comma to show that 'well' is an interjection and not a modifying adjective. Also, that sentence kinda runs on a little bit. Be careful. You do better than many authors I see around, but you're still on dangerous ground.

“Oh, and what might that be Be- Izzy?”

“Oooh, I know! Do you want to be a pokemon breeder?”

“Or a famous dragon tamer?”

“Or a park ranger who helps the environment?”

“Or a member of the sinister team rocket who steals innocent children’s pokemon and exploits them for evil purposes and destroys all of Johto.”
DRAGON TAMERS OMG :D

Either way, that last quote needs a question mark, too.

“Come on Ace, be serious! But anyway, no. I don’t want to be any of those.”

“All right then,” said Carlos in a matter-of-fact kind of way. “Tell us. What will you be?”

“I don’t know what you guys will think of this, but I’d like nothing better than to train the greatest medalist team there ever was!”

“Medalist?”

“Right on Ace, the best medalist team ever. I’ve got the spirit, so let’s…
POKEATHALON!”

To Be Continued...
Wahahaha, love the twist. Actually, I read the last line first, then went back to see how it was a twist, but meh. Also, Pokeathlon doesn't have that second 'a'. I know some people pronounce it that way, but it's not how it's spelled. Also, the English version of HG/SS removes the first 'a' as well, so it's just Pokethlon. I'm not sure what you're aiming for, but everything else is in English, so yeah.

Anyway, a promising start to a promising fanfic. Just slow down a little, proofread a bit and you'll be rocking. Don't be discouraged by all the mistakes I pointed out - you're definitely in the upper quartile of fanfiction I've read recently, grammar-wise.

So, I'm quite liking the dynamic you have going with the characters, though like I said before, I'd like to see some backstory. The same goes for Bella's :)P) desire to pursue being a Medallist. I want to know where this comes from. Even saying that she saw a match on TV and was entranced by the magnificent athleticism of the Pokemon she saw there would be a start.

Personally, I can't stand the Pokethlon (I don't like minigames, especially ones I suck at, haha) but I may well keep reading this. Keep up the good work, for despite its flaws, this is, overall, some good work. (b")b

Mew, it's been a helluva long time since I did a review that thorough. Thank you! I feel alive again~

xXTeam-RocketXx

Pro Deidara Lover!1
I loved it! It was really involving and I felt like you had a great feel for the characters. I don't have anything I can suggest to improve it honestly. Please update soon!

The Jewel of Life

A Gift From Arceus
@Misheard Whisper: Thank you for taking the time to do such a large review. As far as I- and my language arts teacher -are concerned, I am the queen of grammatical errors when typing. Also I typed that paragraph at practically midnight. Also... bah, I'm just making excuses. Anyway, I'll try to proofread more when I write the next chapter. Also, the word 'Pokethlon' just plain annoys me, so I changed it to 'Pokeathlon'. The second 'a' was a typo.

P.S. I planned to give quite a bit of background in some kind of miniplot in the next chapter, so I decided to leave a lot out in the first. Probably not the brightest idea. Also, when the trio arrives in Violet city, Ace will rub the fact that it actually is a city in Isabella's face. So in other words, yes, that was the joke.

P.P.S. Oh no, a 'that's what she said' joke! Everybody, duck and cover!