• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Real Rival Rouser! (655)

gliscor&yanmega

Buizel's lacked any real major battles in Sinnoh, the only thing close to a major battle was when it fought against Maylene's Lucario and it tied so there's not really anything memorable abotu Buizel and I had hoped it would get a chance to show it's true colors after all the training it was put through under Dawn and Ash's care. That is why I thought it would SHINE for once.

As for Drapion and Torterra, despite the fact that Torterra didn't know any Ground type moves, Drapion would have been at a disadvantage due to the Ground type's resistance to Poison type moves.

And I've always considered Gliscor a "Poison" type just by looking at it's coloration. Not the best way to find out but there you have it. So pardon me for not being able to memorize the type combinations of all 493+ Pokemon revealed so far :|

Buizel got a lot of battles and screen time during Sinnoh. To me Buizel has shown it is a powerful Pokemon. It's all a matter of opinion and in the end it's what the writers want.

Torterra gets neutral damage from Poison type moves, hardly a disadvantage for Drapion. If anyone was at a disadvantage it was Torterra since Grass type moves don't do much damage to Drapion.

I can understand someone could mistake Gliscor for a Poison type(Being a Scorpion more then the color). I just thought considering the anime and the games have been out for a while and Gliscor has been part of the main cast, that everyone would know it's type along with all the other Pokemon on the main cast. That's just me though.

Drapion was using Pin Missle which to my knowledge does work on grass types--

It's super effective against Torterra too, so Torterra was really the one at the disadvantage.

uber gon

Accept Change
What was that green attack Ninjask used? Leech Life?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
LOL, who cares?

Staraptor already beat Paul at Pokeringer. Torterra not getting a win is a shame, but oh well. Torterra never had any hope of reaching Sceptile's level of power anyway.

Gliscor's bound to win or tie with Drapion.

Overall, Ash's Hoenn team was far superior to the Sinnoh team, (bar Infernape being better than Torkoal obviously), and it goes to show you what lack of accomplishments this team really had.

gliscor&yanmega

What was that green attack Ninjask used? Leech Life?

I think it was Giga Drain.

Overall, Ash's Hoenn team was far superior to the Sinnoh team, (bar Infernape being better than Torkoal obviously), and it goes to show you what lack of accomplishments this team really had.

Your opinion doesn't equal fact.

I don't see the point in comparing Pokemon in the way you are doing, it's very inaccurate, and can be very bias.

uber gon

Accept Change
Clearly in the Pokemon world "Not Very Effective" does not exist when it logically should.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Your opinion doesn't equal fact.

I don't see the point in comparing Pokemon in the way you are doing, it's very inaccurate, and can be very bias.

Mind explaining? Infernape is far better than Torkoal, but what else?

Everyone else is either tied, (like Corphish and Buizel), or the Hoenn Pokemon are superior.

gliscor&yanmega

Mind explaining? Infernape is far better than Torkoal, but what else?

Everyone else is either tied, (like Corphish and Buizel), or the Hoenn Pokemon are superior.

I said I don't get the point in comparing Pokemon. And if we are going to compare then why compare Pokemon based on their type?

Comparing Pokemon makes no sense since there is a lot of different opinions that will be brought up and it will never be proven in the anime first hand.

It's your opinion that Hoenn is stronger/superior/better/whatever then Sinnoh, where as I feel like comparing Pokemon is a waste of time and makes no sense.

Besides, the Hoenn Pokemon have nothing to do with this episode so I don't even know why you bothered even mentioning them, especially when you made a thread saying the exact same thing(Even though it got closed).

stormno27

I don't find this battle intense, I think it's kinda of dual! They should have ash take on someone new and hopefully elite 4. I would like to see Ash take on someone important like Lucian. heck, even a battle against james and ash would be more interesting. So many episodes are wasted on the paul battle. and what is up with the obession with the blaze, the writers seem obessed with it. They should of gave Paul a suicune or a black and white pokemon. but the writers are so predictable. I-ALREADY-KNOW-THAT-ASH-WILL-WIN-BECAUSE-APES-BLAZE-WILL-SAVE-THE-DAY-AND-PAUL-WILL TURN OVER A NEW LEAF LIKE GARY.

cloudk

hates you.
I don't find this battle intense, I think it's kinda of dual! They should have ash take on someone new and hopefully elite 4. I would like to see Ash take on someone important like Lucian. heck, even a battle against james and ash would be more interesting. So many episodes are wasted on the paul battle. and what is up with the obession with the blaze, the writers seem obessed with it. They should of gave Paul a suicune or a black and white pokemon. but the writers are so predictable. I-ALREADY-KNOW-THAT-ASH-WILL-WIN-BECAUSE-APES-BLAZE-WILL-SAVE-THE-DAY-AND-PAUL-WILL TURN OVER A NEW LEAF LIKE GARY.

All the buildup and the monkey's story is pretty much for this battle. Of course there will be huge hype on this, esp on blaze, which Chimchar previously has trouble controlling. ALL of us know Ash is going to win, but we don't know HOW, hence us watching the episode.

gliscor&yanmega

I don't find this battle intense, I think it's kinda of dual!

Well that's your opinion.

They should have ash take on someone new and hopefully elite 4. I would like to see Ash take on someone important like Lucian. heck, even a battle against james and ash would be more interesting.

Ash isn't going to battle the Elite Four. He will however fight Takuto, someone new.

So many episodes are wasted on the paul battle. and what is up with the obession with the blaze, the writers seem obessed with it. They should of gave Paul a suicune or a black and white pokemon.

The episodes with Paul is hardly wasted, at less not in my opinion. A lot gets done in those episodes.

People don't seem to realize that Chimchar struggled with Blaze, and so did Monferno(Not as much but still it did). When it evolved into Infernape it mastered it. Since Paul's main concern with Chimchar was it's Blaze, it makes perfect sense for Blaze to be shown. It's plot, not obsession.

Why should Paul have a legendary? We already have Takuto who has one. I don't see why they "should" have done anything of that sort. Same with the 5th gen Pokemon.

but the writers are so predictable. I-ALREADY-KNOW-THAT-ASH-WILL-WIN-BECAUSE-APES-BLAZE-WILL-SAVE-THE-DAY-AND-PAUL-WILL TURN OVER A NEW LEAF LIKE GARY.

Predictable? So you knew what would happen all threw out Sinnoh? I really doubt that. All writers are predictable at some point or another. And in cases like these, it's always obvious what will happen because it's a theme in many shows, games, books, etc... just like how "Good" always beat "Evil", it's predictable but that doesn't mean it's not interesting.

Nostalgic Hybrid

Judged By Username
Drapion looks pretty awesome, and toxic spikes was an awesome idea. I just looked at the screencaps, nevermind the actual battle, and didn't realize that the dig/blast burn was used to get rid of the spikes. Really? Creative, I guess.

I knew that Staraptor wasn't really gonna accomplish much of anything.
I feel bad for Torterra though. Ever since it evolved, it could never get the wins like it did when it was a Turtwig. Ash just can't build a defensive strategy for the guy. I mean, that was the whole point of the speed thing, yes? Torterra is still trying to run around and charge at the enemy and then gets its own weight thrown against it. What a shame, thinking Ash would adapt better.

Also, Mach Punch one-shotting something again? Why learn Giga Impact when you can have Mach Punch!

Are we sure it's Reggies and not one that Paul caught and put on the same stuff as that tank bear of his? Cuz the second it was able to lift and toss Torterra of all pokemon with reletive ease, it became time to get that thing tested. I mean do the writers even pay attention to weight past Snorelax anymore? It would have been better if Drapion's grabbing of Torterra backfired due to it not being able to counterbalance the weight of the giant turtle it was holding and it fell allowing Ash to take advatage of that and have it use Bite to keep it in place as it landed on it KOing it.

Like the Mach Punch that sent a 700-800 pound or so Aggron flying back to a wall half way across the stadium? No, they never do.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Everyone else is either tied, (like Corphish and Buizel).

Wait wait wait! Did I just read that? Cyber thinks a pokemon from Hoenn and Sinnoh are equal! But in another thread he said Corphish is superior. Quick someone for the love of god sig it!

On topic;
Um, I'm pretty sure the Hoenn team had an extra region to go to. So they had 8 gyms, 1 league and every battle, and 7 frontiers to be in. That's hardly fair comparing them to a team that has been in 8 gyms, 1 battle in a league.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
On topic;
Um, I'm pretty sure the Hoenn team had an extra region to go to. So they had 8 gyms, 1 league and every battle, and 7 frontiers to be in. That's hardly fair comparing them to a team that has been in 8 gyms, 1 battle in a league.

Who said I was counting BF? In the actual Hoenn league they were shown superior to the Sinnoh team, sans Torkoal for Infernape obviously.

Grovyle evolved later on made it stronger, but Grovyle was still powerful in its second stage.

KingMinun

Dawn/Sinnoh Fan!
Who said I was counting BF? In the actual Hoenn league they were shown superior to the Sinnoh team, sans Torkoal for Infernape obviously.

Grovyle evolved later on made it stronger, but Grovyle was still powerful in its second stage.

Yeah but remember, they were the only pokemon used, Sinnoh league is different.

Kabuto

little punks!
LOL, who cares?

Staraptor already beat Paul at Pokeringer. Torterra not getting a win is a shame, but oh well. Torterra never had any hope of reaching Sceptile's level of power anyway.

Gliscor's bound to win or tie with Drapion.

Of course you don't have anything nice or worthwhile to say. Ever.

The only reason Torterra seems weak is because Infernape is Ash's center Pokemon, like Sceptile was in AG

Last edited:

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The only reason Torterra seems weak is because Infernape is Ash's center Pokemon, like Sceptile was in AG

Which is odd, because in early DP, Turtwig was Ash's star Pokemon winning matches right and left.

Go back and watch some of DP's early Gym battles and the tag battle arc, Turtwig was the star and was constantly winning matches.

Kabuto

little punks!
Which is odd, because in early DP, Turtwig was Ash's star Pokemon winning matches right and left.

Go back and watch some of DP's early Gym battles and the tag battle arc, Turtwig was the star and was constantly winning matches.

But you complained about Turtwig back then too.

Also, Chimchar wasn't on Ash's team back then. Turtwig proceeded to take a backseat. This also happened when Paul's Torterra was introduced.

It's actually possible that Chimchar was initially going to be Paul's central pokemon, and it was changed to become Ash's in order to create a more interesting story

Last edited: