• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Real Rival Rouser! (655)

DaDonYordel

The Gazing Eye
I am thoroughly dismayed on how Torterra was handled in this episode, just wished it could've damaged Drapion even more as it could've been easily taken out by Gliscor by the end of the episode.

But no.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
But you complained about Turtwig back then too.

I complained back then because Turtwig originally felt like a Bulbasaur clone.

It's actually possible that Chimchar was initially going to be Paul's central pokemon, and it was changed to become Ash's in order to create a more interesting story

Possibly. But they just wound up making Infernape into the next Charizard, screwing over his other pokemon.

Candy-Sama

Kawaii Power
Aw man, Torterra seriously needed a win. Infernape is awesome and I get that he needs to shine in this episode, but two wins would've been enough. Torterra should have at least used the swallowing energy ball strategy and weakened Drapion even more. Still, the battle in general was pretty epic.

By the way, does anyone know what Paul and Reggie were saying after Ash sent out Torterra? I think I heard something about Paul also having a Torterra from Reggie and I guess Paul was just happy Torterra got poisoned.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
I complained back then because Turtwig originally felt like a Bulbasaur clone.

You even said yourself that it lost it's "peacekeeper" traits not long after being caught, and in attack terms Razor Leaf was the only move the two shared.

Seriously do you hate DP so much that you constantly bring up AG any chance you get to bash it?

AG is dead and DP is soon to follow, then what you gonna compare BW to AG as well?

AG was not the be all end all saga of the series dude.

Back on topic, I felt this was the best battle i've seen in ages, and we're not even at the climax yet.

TrainerOfLegend

I have really mixed feelings about Torterra's loss to Drapion. I realize that it made a lot of sense to have Drapion take down three of Ash's Pokemon like that, making a super-comeback. But now Torterra is Ash's only Sinnoh Pokemon to not have a single victory against Paul, sans Gible of course. Pikachu's beaten Froslass, Staraptor's beaten Weavile, Buizel's beaten Gastrodon, Infernape's beaten Ursaring, Aggron, Ursaring, Ninjask, Ursaring, and will obviously beat Electivire, and Gliscor seems very likely to either beat or draw against Drapion. However, Torterra is the only one of Ash's Pokemon that could afford to lose to Drapion. Gliscor just returned and needs to show off its strength, so it couldn't lose. Pikachu's finally got his uber-powers back, so he couldn't lose there. And Infernape's...well, Infernape. So I guess that Torterra was the logical choice to lose.

Also, I may love Infernape, but having it take down Ninjask on top of Aggron and Electivire seems like overkill. Infernape may have all rights, reserves, and copyrights to kick Paul's butt, but I would have rather seen Gliscor's aerial maneuvers or Torterra's ultra-defense take on Ninjask.

And now that I'm finished with my rants...Infernape still rocks out loud. And Drapion is absolutely insane powerful, just like Ursaring. Heck, Drapion may be even worse, given the fact that it poisoned five of Ash's Pokemon. And the one that it didn't poison, it crushed without mercy. So, yeah. Wow.

We don't know if Infernape actually beats Electivire or if it is Pikachu.

Right now I'm considering that Drapion and Gliscor knock each other out, like 3 minutes into the episode.

Ash then uses Pikachu/Infernape, and then after taking a beating, returns Pikachu/Infernape and throws out Infernape/Pikachu who KOs Electivire.

I'm leaning towards Infernape vs Electivire first, then Infernape gets Blaze(after all he has retained alot of damage from Ninjask and Toxic Spikes). Blaze Infernape deals massive damage, and knocks Electivire back, but Infernape is also badly hurt, so Ash returns him and goes with Pika

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
^ I don't know how many times people have said it, but Infernape vs Electrivire is confirmed to be the last battle of the match.

wind21

I found this episode to be rather peaceful. It felt like there was much less pure strategy in this episode and more spur of the moment battling, which works to Ash's advantage, I suppose. I'm mildly surprised Ash has done much more switching than Paul has, but I like it. Even if this is Paul's strategy to wear down Ash's pokemon for his last fresh one to come in to play and sweep away, Ash isn't worried about it- and he wasn't particularly worried about it when facing Conway, either. He's willing to try things out. Pikachu vs. Frosslas (sp.) was my favorite battle (like some other people have said), and I liked how different everything looked when Hail was in effect. I thought it was neat how Frosslas sort of creeped up on Pikachu and scared it at the beginning, and I also liked how calm Ash looked when he was following Frosslas with his eyes.

I'm sorry for Torterra; Rock Climb just hasn't worked the way it was supposed to, giving Torterra a "speedy" attack. Torterra just has had a tough time with offense, not just at the last gym, where Rock Climb was no good and Leaf Storm/Energy Ball combination didn't do too much damage to Electrivire, but also in the episode pretty soon after against Claydol, where Leaf Storm/Energy Ball was completely stopped.

I absolutely love Gliscor, the way it smiled at Ash to say it was okay after it seemed a little weary. I'm glad it's getting a chance to shine in this battle, and it's the first pokemon who's really, really surprised Paul in this battle.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Infernape should not have taken out Ninjask to be honest, it felt pointless. We know Infernape is strong, why did it need to take out that bug?

Either Torterra or Gliscor should have taken out Ninjask.

Silver_Seoul

They just had to demonstrate that Infernape can take out three Pokemon, because God knows the fanbase would have rejected him taking any less. Smart, writers, very smart.

TrainerOfLegend

They just had to demonstrate that Infernape can take out three Pokemon, because God knows the fanbase would have rejected him taking any less. Smart, writers, very smart.

Apparently having Pokemon sweep is the new trend.

firestar319

The Marauder
torterra. really sucked

And those 3 words just sum up how I felt about this episode. The battle is overall one of the best battles ever, but they did Torterra no justice. Seriously, a win couldn't be given to Torterra? No of course not. The ape on steroids definitely had to claim another win. On the bright side, Gliscor had some epic aerial batling skills goin on.

7/10 (It would be higher if it wasn't for that monkey on drugs...)

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Best Wishes couldn't get here sooner if this is all i'm gonna hear and see for the next few weeks.

Seriously enough complaining just enjoy the match for what it's worth.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I'm starting to hate Infernape now...

Is it really necessary for Infrnape to get 3 wins? Caue its obvious it will beat Electivire.

Staraptor could have taken down Aggron w/ Close Combat.
Torterra could have taken down Ninjask.

So far Torterra is the only Siinoh pokemon (excluding Gible), not to win against Paul's pokemon.

lets recap

Ash vs Paul fights.

Starly vs Starly [Paul's Starly]
Aipom vs Chimchar [Aipom]
Pikachu vs Elekid [Tie]
-
Turtwig vs Chimchar [Chimchar]
-
Gligar vs Gliscor [Gliscor]
Chimchar vs Ursaring [Chimchar]
-
Turtwig/Grotle vs Honkrow [Honchkrow]
-
Staravia/Staraptor vs Honchkrow (Pokeringer) [Staraptor]
-
Lake Acuity Full Battle
Buizel- Beat no one. Lost to Ursaring.
Gliscor- Beat no one. Lost to Torterra.
Staraptor- Beat Weavile. Lost to Ursaring.
Grotle- Beat no one. Lost to Honchkrow
Pikachu- Beat no one. Lost to Ursaring
Chimchar/Monferno- Beat Ursaring. Lost to Electabuzz.
-
Sinnoh League (so far)
Buizel- Beat Gastrodon. Lost to Drapion
Staraptor- Beat no one. Lost to Drapion
Torterra- Beat no one. Lost to Drapion
~
Gliscor- Hasn't beaten anyone, hasn't lost. (May Beat/Tie w/ drapion)
Pikachu- Beat Froslass, Hasn't lost.
Infernape- Beat Aggron, Ninjask, hasn't lost (Will most likely beat Electivire)

so lets recap.

Staraptor
0 Ties
3 Losses [1 Starly, 1 Staravia, 1 Staraptor]
2 Wins [2 Staraptor]

Aipom
1 Win

Pikachu
1 Tie
1 Loss
1 Win

Torterra
0 Ties
4 Losses [1 Turtwig, 2 Grotle, 1 Torterra]
0 Wins

Gliscor
0 Ties
2 Losses [1 Gligar, 1 Gliscor]
0 Wins

Infernape
0 Ties
1 Loss [Monferno]
4/5 Wins [1 Chimchar, 1 Monferno, 2/3 Infernape]

Buizel
0 Ties
2 Losses
1 Win

Gible
Never fought Paul.

Last edited:

TicoPokemonMaster

I frankly don't mind that Infernape has taken out three pokemon. It Torterra I'm having a problem with. This goes to show that the writers can't balance a team with more than 2 fully evolved pokemon. The show would go back and forth with pokemon, especially when Chimchar came. It came and it was all about it. then turwig evolved. then staraptor got it time, then back to Chimchar, then to grotle, then back to Monferno, then Buizel, then Infernape, then Torterra.

Show wise , Ash still has a long way to go. It kind of funny coming into the Sinnoh league think that Ash would show his pokemon true strength only to down play pokemon like Torterra.

shac

Like many, I hate the fact that torterra did not get a win. However i won't mind much if Ash gets to realise what he was doing wrong with terra - how he can't handle a tank, and how he needs to work on that. As long as he mentions that someway, I am all good.

Hikari Paradise

Forever Alone
It doesn't get much better than this. Infernape was awesome with it's blast burn and pikachu finishing off froslass was also pretty cool. I kind of felt bad that torterra and staraptor got the short end of the stick but they at least made a good effort. Can't wait for the next episode.

Last edited:

uber gon

Accept Change
So I guess Giga Drain is less implied tentacle rape and more energy beams with energy draining capabilities. And here I thought Japan was all for the tentacle rape.

KGB13

Man of Mystery
Honestly, this episode was just OK to me.

All the battling was cool, but besides Drapion, I am not impressed in the least by Paul's new pokemon. Ninjask went down like a common fly with one Mach Punch from Infernape, and it only took an Iron Tail and Volt Tackle from Pikachu to KO Froslass. I'm quite sure if you replaced Ninjask and Froslass with Torterra and Ursaring, this battle would have been a lot better.

Hopefully the next episode makes up for this one.

Poke Master 7

Boulder Trainer
After watching the episode, now I really gotta say some of those KOs from Drapion were really just there only for the sake of making it the beast of Pauls team. Buizel was KOed by a single Pin Missile despite the only damage it had taken before coming from it touching the Toxic Spikes an attack that only affects pokemon that switch in (Nice one writers obeying the game effects with Paul vs Barry with Spikes, yet saying screw it with Ash)

Staraptor I'll forgive since it was clearly tired when it was recalled, though what was Ash thinking having Staraptor strike high with Aerial Ace despite striking low being more advantageous with Drapion.

Finally the end of the nightmare, Torterra's was the worst of them all. How the hell does Drapion simply stop a 683.4 lb pokemon in mid flight as its jumping towards it and then just hold it in mid air? I know pokemon likes to have physics look the other way, but that was just contrived on ridiculous levels. Had this been following physics, the force of Torterra's jump would have gone somewhere, not just vanished like it did. You can't just catch a pokemon that heavy and nothing happen, it just doesn't happen.

But aside from that, the battle was great once Drapion left the field and even the part when it came back and got smacked by Giga Impact with Gliscor using the recoil from hitting Drapion to get away.

Also does anyone find it kinda ironic that the writers gave Paul, a trainer with the opposite training methods of Ash, a Froslass, the opposite evolution to Glalie, a pokemon of Ash's?

streetlightdsb

Uni hiatus
After watching the episode, now I really gotta say some of those KOs from Drapion were really just there only for the sake of making it the beast of Pauls team

Agreed. Plot power strikes again!

I can't even begin to describe how ****** I am about Torterra losing so Infernape can get an extra win AGAIN. I was shouting at the screen for gods sake.

That being said- Gliscor's battling against Drapion, Pikachu's believable win against Froslass and Infernape's KO against Ninjask were cool and saved the whole thing from being a disappointment.

Incidentally, it seems like most of the time Infernape uses Mach Punch to finish a battle (Croconaw, Jolteon, Aggron Ninjask) do you guys think it's coincidence or are the writers trying to establish it as his "finisher move?" If they are, I totally called it a while back XD

Anyway, here's how I think the kills should be/have been distributed throughout the whole battle.

Ash:
Staraptor- Nothing
Buizel- Gastrodon (DP186)
Infernape- Aggron(DP186) Electivire(DP188)
Pikachu- Froslass(DP187)
Torterra- Drapion (DP188) Withdrawn after using Synthesis.
Gliscor- Ninjask(DP187)

Paul:
Aggron-Nothing
Gastrodon-Nothing
Electivire-Pikachu (DP188) Torterra(DP188)
Ninjask-Nothing
Froslass-Nothing
Drapion- Buizel (DP187) Staraptor(DP187) Gliscor (DP188)

But no. Overusedape MUST have 3 kills. Now people will be saying Torterra is Ash's weakest for years :S