• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Rival Battle for Club Champ! (669)

turtle twig

Although I am disappointed by this loss, I can only hope it means something somewhere down the line.

From what I gather, Shooti made a remark about Pokabu and Mijumaru that they were "nothing to write home about." Once again, another racist remark about Ash being from another country.

I hope they reveal some motivation or back story with Shooti, like they did with Paul. Because this rivalry appears to be based on regional backgrounds as opposed to training styles.

Cobalt_Latios

Actually that was a move ordered by Shooti. At first I thought it was focus energy because of its ability but it can't learn it. Bulbapedia mentions it was cheer up, a move that raises both attack stats.
Ah, that would definitely explain things.

@Locormus, excellent explanation on things. I guess part of the problem is being unable to understand Japanese, and going purely by interpretation. But otherwise, I wholeheartedly agree with what you're getting at.

Also, this is just something personal, but I want Aloe to flat out sweep Ash with that... Mirohoggu, is that it's name? The evolved form of Minezumi. Why? Because if Ash loses to her, he'll be forced to actually train some of his pokes for round 2. I really want that to happen.

C_L

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Interesting battle, from the looks of the pics (I'll watch it later). If it wasn't for Pikachu and Tsutarja, Ash would have lost badly.

It looks like Janovy only exists to beatdown Pikachu. Tsutarja might have another little rivalry with it though. The bird is decent, and Pururiru is too.

Obligatory Team Tier list:

Tsutarja > Pikachu > Mijumaru > Pokabu > Mamepato

Krizor

Evil Genius
Post like this are just plain dumb... -_-

Did you even know the movesets from Ash's current team? all of his pokemon are ROOKIES, are BEGINNERS, have no EXPERIENCE -_- sure levels don't exists in the anime but come on! Ash is not perfect, and his lost was justified because it looks Shooti is training harder than him. This **** would be boring if Ash won all the freakin' time.

You have to work harder in order to get your goals. Thank God the writers keep it real, that's why I love this show.

How was my post dumb? I was just giving my honest opinion on the match, insulting someone just because you don't like their opinion is pretty dumb to me.

And I'm not saying Ash needs to win every battle, but since Shooti is a new trainer, the playing field needs to be leveled. He shouldn't be having landslide victories against a seasoned trainer and Ash should be able to beat him a few times before the League. I can't buy this rivalry if Ash is going to continuously get his ass handed to him by a rookie trainer all the way until they have a huge match at the League, that's just bad writing and not believable at all.

garfield15

Digi/Pokemon lover
Also, this is just something personal, but I want Aloe to flat out sweep Ash with that... Mirohoggu, is that it's name? The evolved form of Minezumi. Why? Because if Ash loses to her, he'll be forced to actually train some of his pokes for round 2. I really want that to happen.

C_L
That would be totally awesome. It'd be some good writing too.
Tsutarja > Pikachu > Mijumaru > Pokabu > Mamepato
I think Pikach is still a bit over Tsutarja even though they know the same moves.

Mamepato is way over Pokabu. Mijumaru, yeah he can hang in the middle.

Mijumaru: Missed a single Water Gun and died.
Pokabu: Missed half a dozen of Embers.
Pikachu: Did well enough for the first time in Isshu, against a Flying type..
Tsutaja: Without a doubt the best in this battle.
Mamepato: Blocked by Protect and nothing else.

Sinnoh:

Buizel: Hit a pokemon
Staraptor: Took out a pokemon it had a disadvantage against.
Gliscor: Made Torterra pant.
Grotle: Did nothing really.. I'm a fan, but I think it got knocked out and its Energy Ball got nullified by Light Screen.
Pikachu: Hit a pokemon.
Monferno: Took out a pokemon.

So at the lake Acuity battle, although there may have been as many pokemon taken out on the opponents side as in this battle, most pokemon got a move or two in and generally performed better to my knowledge, Staraptor kept going even after getting hit by Torterra's Stone Edge for example. At least that's tons better then what Mijumaru, Pokabu and Mamepato did.
That's really not a fair comparison. You're comparing the second rival battle (technically first at full power) in BW to a later one in DP.

all but Mamepato now have a decent win.
What about Pokabu beating Baoppu or Mijumaru beating Yanappu or Mijumaru knocking out the two Darumakka (well, they were unconsious. That counts)
Doesn't Shooti have his sixth pokemon already? I thought that I heard him mention a full battle when he entered the Battle Club, and then when he heard Ash say that he only had five pokemon Shooti waved him off, but he got coursed back to battle him by Iris and agreed to a five on five.
Oh right. I missed that. Okay see that? Shooti's got a full team. Satoshi does not.

Also, why was everybody getting annoyed at Water Pulse causing Confusion on Tsutarja? Doesn't Water Pulse have a chance of Confusion?

typhlosion/starmie

well its certain to me now that tsutarja will be the infernape of this series. what i mean by this is it will slightly overshadow the other starter pokemon which really excites me as i simple love it. the personality the design and the smug look are just fantastic. i think it will only slightly overshadow pokabu and mijumaru because they also have decent plot lines.. mijumaru loving ash... and the usual fire type abused crap thing for pokabu ISSHU REGION ROCKS!!!

Blitz Lucario

Ash got is his but kicked in this episode. Some of Shooti's pokemon were way to powerful.
And does anybody know who that guy was that helped Team Rocket?

Graham Aker

And I'm not saying Ash needs to win every battle, but since Shooti is a new trainer, the playing field needs to be leveled. He shouldn't be having landslide victories against a seasoned trainer and Ash should be able to beat him a few times before the League. I can't buy this rivalry if Ash is going to continuously get his ass handed to him by a rookie trainer all the way until they have a huge match at the League, that's just bad writing and not believable at all.

This is Pokemon dude. The writers are lazy as hell, and this show never had great writing anyway. I don't expect the writers ever to step out of their comfort zone, and make Ash superior to his primary rival. The underdog story is so easy to write, and that's what they use for Ash in terms of his main rival. Next season is probably going to be the exact same thing, with the rival, and the same with the one after that. Rinse, and repeat. It's sad, but you al should be used to this by now.

Though really I just want to see Ash use Infernape, Sceptile, Snorlax, Heracross, Gligar, etc. just to see Shooti's reaction. But of course the writers won't do that because that at this point because that woud make Ash>>>Shooti, and we can't have that when we have the same old, same old formulaic way main rivals are handled now can we?

TsukiMirage

Rikudou Master
To be honest, I think Shooti has been done pretty well for a rival. Unless it's later shown that he catches and releases weak pokemon, It seems that his training method is similar to Ash's and I think that could have a big impact later on.

MonkeyX

i really dont get how shooti is so good, but maybe we'll learn more about him later like they did with paul, at first he was just some dude but then we met reggie and learned who he is

for all we know shootis uncle is adeku, very unlikely but im just saying maybe someone taught him how to kick butt

also any future(or present) tsutarja users feel good after this one?

garfield15

Digi/Pokemon lover
Though really I just want to see Ash use Infernape, Sceptile, Snorlax, Heracross, Gligar, etc. just to see Shooti's reaction. But of course the writers won't do that because that at this point because that woud make Ash>>>Shooti, and we can't have that when we have the same old, same old formulaic way main rivals are handled now can we?
Or, another option, if they did that, we would know Satoshi would win no sweat. And that's really boring.

playerking

Sick of dealing with idiots.
I knew there would be many Don Geroge's like joy's and jenny, so yay and also great episode, i liked Pururiru battling.

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
Pathetic, honestly I wouldn't have minded Ash's loss but it was a LANDSLIDE!!! >:/

Shooti only revealed 3 pokemon, 2 technically because we know he had a Tsutarja.

It was a 2 over 5 victory for Shooti and the guy just started on his journey. I really did not see the point of this episode. Just plain horrible IMO and a huge blow to all the training Ash ever did in his trainer career.

For all those saying that Ash has rookies for pokemon, spare me. Shooti has 5 new pokemon and has them all at a high level. If Ash didn't train his pokemon thats his fault.

I lost a lot of respect for the writers and Ash because of this episode. I would be sorely disappointed if Ash ends up battling Shooti at the League and wins.

Now please excuse me while I release some of the steam I built up due to this atrocious episode.

arceus7

Arcane Of The Wild
Ok everyone needs to get off Ash's case. He did good it's just that most of his Pokemon were just weak. I mean what about Shooti? I mean I started thinking this after BW 001 and this has come back to thought. Shooti to me seems a little too good at battling for a rookie. I'm not saying he isn't a new trainer but throughout the whole series whenever we've seen a new trainer they were never this good. I mean if I didn't know better I would say that Shooti was an experienced trainer based on this battle. Seriously he had Janobii by the Sanyo gym battle and also a Hatopoo and Puruiuu? They way he executed his attacks and the power of those attacks like Grass Mixer. Seriously something is off with Shooti just saying.
Shooti isn't a beginner, he went to a pokemon learning school so he has experience, this is his first pokemon journey though, ash had all new pokemon and they aren't trained and shooti has 2 badges and some great pokemon so I would call hax if shooti did not win.

garfield15

Digi/Pokemon lover
It was a 2 over 5 victory for Shooti and the guy just started on his journey.
Except he has two badges and a full team with two (well, maybe probably one) evolved Pokemon and Ash has one badge and a semi-complete team with no evolved Pokemon except a Pikachu that can take out evolved Pokemon.
I really did not see the point of this episode. Just plain horrible IMO and a huge blow to all the training Ash ever did in his trainer career.
You're confusing an entire career with the Pokemon he just started out with which should not be compared as they are two different levels
For all those saying that Ash has rookies for pokemon, spare me. Shooti has 5 new pokemon and has them all at a high level. If Ash didn't train his pokemon thats his fault.
No, I am not going to spare you. He does have only rookies for Pokemon (minus Pika and probably Tsutarja), he has not trained them enough and one of his Pokemon only knows two moves. And I don't get it. You admit that it's Satoshi's fault that he lost, but then you say the battle was a bad one and lose respect for the writers. So what? Is it everyone's fault now?

Last edited:

Crimsonlink

Crimson Champion
You're confusing an entire career with the Pokemon he just started out with which should not be compared as they are two different levels

I didn't mention pokemon, I mentioned his training career.

No, I am not going to spare you. He does have only rookies for Pokemon (minus Pika and probably Tsutarja), he has not trained them enough and one of his Pokemon only knows two moves. And I don't get it. You admit that it's Satoshi's fault that he lost, but then you say the battle was a bad one and lose respect for the writers. So what? Is it everyone's fault now?

How is it everyone's fault? The battle was bad, plain and simple IMO. Maybe you are getting the wrong message from what I said. The writers made a mistake IMO with the battle and Ash should not have lost as badly as he did.

Also I ask that you don't go overboard defending this episode. My opinion makes perfect sense for those that agree with my points and you aren't required to reply to my post.

BTW don't expect me to change my mind due to your post.

Juputoru

M-m-m-m-onobear?!
-Dento recognizes Shooti from a gym challenge. Makes sense.
-Oh my god the Don Georges are just like the Jennys and Joys
-Shooti's surprised that Dento's tagging along with Ash. I can't blame him.
-Remember back in DP when full battles were big effing deals? Apaprently Shooti doesn't agree with that, since he asks Ash for a full battle! ...but Ash only has 5 Pokemon. Oopsie.
-Ash shows off his one gym badge. Shooti's not impressed by it. Again, I can't blame him.
-Iris pulls the "kodomo ne" stuff with Shooti, which stops him long enough for Dento to talk him into a battle.
-Round 1: Hatooboo vs Mijimaru! Result: Miji gets curbstomped. Hatooboo is FAST.
-Round 2: Hatooboo vs Pokabu! Result: Pokabu gets curbstomped, but slightly less quickly since Hatooboo spends a minute doing Double Team crap. Shooti knows a suspicious amount of strategy for a beginning trainer.
-Round 3: Pikachu gets in the ring, and...oh, wait, TR break.
-Aw sheet, it's the cops!
-Back to Ash vs Shooti! Ash finally puts a strategy out of his ***, which means that Hatooboo is going DOWN.
-And now Shooti sends out Janoby. Ash is surprised for some reason, then recalls Pikachu's embarassing loss to Shooti's Tsutarja way back when.
-Back at OH FUCK IT'S THE FUZZ, a truck saves TR. The cops chase after them. ...a car truck chase? In POKEMON? Who woulda thunk it?
-TR+cohort end the chase by flying away on jetpacks. I guess this is one way to lure in the "impressed by JETPACKS and EXPLOSIONS and CAR CHASES" crowd(read:everyone)
-Pikachu just can't catch a break against that Janoby. Someday you'll win, buddy. Someday.
-Of course the writers can't resist matching one of Ash's Pokemon against their evo.
-This is the smuggest match *ever*.
-Just as I was going "goddammit Ash, USE ATTRACT ALREADY", he uses attract. Good to see that Attract won't go to waste.
-*insert crude joke about Janoby enjoying that Vine Whip a bit TOo much here*
-Ash wins this round, but he still has to get through 3 more of Shooti's Pokemon. Looking at the time here, I have a suspicion he's not going to be able to do that.
-Oh boy, it's ghost jellyfish time! And Mamepato time!
-And Mamepato's down in record time thanks to Water Pulse.
-Shooti's talking smack to Ash again. Nice to see a geniune ******* as a rival.
-Ash has Tsutarja use vine whip, which makes the cheerleading section(well, mostly just Iris) throw a fit.
-Apparently Ash really should have known that this random ghost jellyfish he's never seen before has the Cursed Body ability.
-Not even Attract is working here - ghost jellyfish(whose name I can't spell and I don't feel like looking up) dodged it!
-And now Tsutarja's confused. Great.
-I have no idea what the hell Purirurrudrghdfkfhg just did, but it looked like Tsutarja got some mental scars out of it.
-Ash lost. Of course. I can't WAIT to see the flood of complaining about this.
-Despite Ash's embarassing loss, everyone seems pretty happy at the episode's end. I think Dento's rubbing off on them.

This was a good episode. Shooti seems like the type that's focused on getting a strong team super-fast(but he still respects his Pokemon, unlike a certain rival from last saga), and I'm interested in seeing how the writers will make him crash and burn.

garfield15

Digi/Pokemon lover
-Dento recognizes Shooti from a gym challenge. Makes sense.
I was surprised the writing staff actually included something like that. It's like "hey, see that canon and logic? We don't forget it all the time!"
-TR+cohort end the chase by flying away on jetpacks. I guess this is one way to lure in the "impressed by JETPACKS and EXPLOSIONS and CAR CHASES" crowd(read:everyone)
Well, personally, it's not the EXPLOSIONS and CAR CHASES that solely impress me. It's that it's Team Rocket specifically doing these things.

shac

I guess Ash just was not ready for Shooti to be this strong already. I mean we did not expect him to be this strong; how would Ash? Shooti has already got past the second gym. Who expected that? I wonder why he is backtracking though? Isn't he supposed to go away from Shippou in the direction not towards the first gym but the other way?