• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Rival Battle for Club Champ! (669)

Sapphire Kirby

Evaluation time!
So this is our hero? Well I’m disappointed. Whenever Ash is around Trip he becomes more obnoxious than usual. As much as I hate Iris (which is a lot), she is right: Ash was such a kid. He did not take this battle seriously. He unwisely sends out Tepig, Oshawott, and Pidove only to have them be one-shoted instantly. He waits until he loses two Pokémon to Tranquil to send out Pikachu, and actually used his brain. When Pikachu goes down to Servine, he again uses his head and has a strategy to beat Servine with Snivy. When he sees Trip send out his water type Frillish, Ash foolishly switches out Snivy and let Pidove get murdered. Rather than attacking safely he goes for broke with a physical attack now knowing the damage it could spell out for him and is rewarded with his own Snivy going down.

Snivy and Pikachu were the only competent battlers for Ash, and Trip is right to think Ash is a loser. Ash can be a great battler, but his skills were reset so we can watch the same old song and dance. I’m tired of Ash losing badly to his rivals until the league. If the writers really want to “start from a new beginning” then let’s see an equal rivalry for once. Let’s see the two learn from each other and keep us at the edge of our seats when they battle. But no, we go through the same thing every saga because the executives only care about making money off of the kids who won’t watch the next sage so they can reuse the same plots over and over again.

Let’s look at something else: Team Rocket. They bore me. I know everyone else and their grandma loves serious TR, but a high speed chase and jet packs does not make up for a quick shift in personality (whether it’s still there or not) in my book. Perhaps if I felt TR actually earned and strived for their super spy skills rather than becoming Unova’s most wanted for the sake of the plot, I might like this better.

Finally, let us take a look at the animation. I am sick of seeing the Pokémon do their poor CGI attacks against a swirling background. While these backgrounds are not new, they are abused in this episode. Does Trip really need to call his attacks against the swirling background? Is the background of the battle club not good enough for him?

Before I end this, I’ll share with my loving readers the few good things about this episode.
*Perce is voiced by DAN GREEN!!!
* Iris calling Trip a kid for being all talk. She’s still a hypocrite, but at least she can use her powers for good.

Yeah, that is it. This episode doesn’t have much going for it, but I still watched it anyway. At least I know the future will hold better episodes.

RIP people killed in the great van crash of 2011. You will be missed by everyone except the writers.

AmericanPi

Write on
- Is it just me, or does Pierce look a LOT like Tobias from the Sinnoh League?
- It was interesting to see another Don George; the multiple-Don-George thing took me completely be surprise.
- PIDOVE SHOULD NOT HAVE GONE DOWN SO EASILY!!!
- I <3 Ash's Snivy!!! She just shows how awesomely fast and smart a Snivy can be.
- Attract and Hex = Win.
- I'm kind of annoyed that Ash lost so easily yet kept on battling. Heck, if I were Ash, I would have given up a long time ago.

- However, I am annoyed at Ash being so STUPID and getting defeated... again. >_<

Vipsoccermaster

Just watched this episode. It was okay, but at least Pikachu and Snivy pulled through. Ash was just hyped up for the battle against Trip and had no plan to defeat his Pokemon until having Oshawott and Tepig lose.

The Snivy and Servine battle was pretty cool, as well. Snivy was an exceptional battler.

jscholfield

Pokemon Breeder
first ten dubbed episodes of black and white i give it 10/10 i hope then next ten episodes just get better and better

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
I finally got to watch this episode yay.

Really enjoyed this episode, it was a good battle and I think it reveals just which of Ash's pokemon are truly starter pokemon (Oshawott, Tepig and Pidove) and which ones have had some experience. I was quite happy with how it panned out however I think I would have liked Ash defeat just one more of Trip's pokemon with Pikachu then I would be 100% happy :D.

I was quite happy with what happened because it doesn't matter how experienced you are, you have to have pokemon trained to some extent to be able to have a chance. Just think, no matter how much you have played the pokemon games you would have difficulties defeating a level 25 tranquill with a level 10 tepig. By the way, I know anime does not equal the games I was just making a point.

I liked Brock, woops I mean Cilan talking about what abilties do, in this case Super Luck. Also, was it just me or does Trip sound more like Barry this episode than he did in Episode 1? It was so like Barry I was expecting 'You'll be getting a fine for that' when tranquill was defeated but then I remembered that it was actually Trip.

Anyway, good episode, looking forward to the next one yay :D.

*Jean Grey*

Night Triumphant
- Is it just me, or does Pierce look a LOT like Tobias from the Sinnoh League?

Pierce is sooo much better-looking than Tobias, but I get your point I wonder if they're making one or more Tobias look-alikes haunt Ash in every region after Sinnoh to ensure Ash doesn't win any Leagues....

turtle twig

This dub was annoying (at least until something explains it later).

Trip kept saying "Basic," which is losing some meaning. What is he talking about?

Seeing these first episodes dubbed just keeps reminding me that BW has a long, long way to go for improvement.

matt0044

Trip kept saying "Basic," which is losing some meaning. What is he talking about?

Seeing these first episodes dubbed just keeps reminding me that BW has a long, long way to go for improvement.

Trip's catchphases and Iris's are present in the JPN version. As is the dialogue and story.

Rebeccag

Good episode but i get really annoyed when they make Ash out to be a newbie trainier. Oh and whoever said they should turn whenever Trip said basic into a drinking game i so agree same with Iris and little kid, although I was glad she called Trip out. That was funny Im still liking Clian though
The don george thing was kinda cool I liked that twist. Snivy is so cool i love her. Trips Frillish is kinda cool as well but can they stop making Pikachu get beat so badly.
Thats who pierce reminded me of. Tobias its the curly hair!. That truck incident kinda scared me a bit though
Starting to think Snivy might be the story Pokemon rather than Tepig now ala Chimchar.

tajd

they arent going to change the music again are they only reason i started watching english dub again because they brought back the the japan score which is amazing

i did hear dub music in one battle same syneithinzer crap we heard in sinnoh better be a once off

10 ep in doing good so far

cant believe ive being watching pokemon for 14 years

Swampert_trainer

Laughs at thunder
This episode was great. The battle between Ash and Trip was quite intense. I'm surprised that Ash has not mentioned Trip being so much like Paul.
Ash probably doesn't even remember Paul. :rolleyes:

It was obvious that Ash would lose this battle, since the writers like having Ash loose every rival battle until his win in the league, but the battle could have been handled a lot better. 3 OHKOs is not something Ash should be experiencing against new trainers. It's obvious that Tripp has been training more than Ash, seeing as how he has a full team of 6 and two badges already, but simply using "Tripp has been training more" as an excuse for Ash's poor choices is not enough.

Ash SHOULD have been training more. Ash's Tepig should know more than 2 move. It's obvious that the writers are making a fresh start, but they've gotten so good at writing battles in Sinnoh that it should have carried on here. Ash should be utilizing counter shields and spin dodges. The moves Ash has learned should still be a part of his arsenal. It's a new region, but it has only been 10 episodes from Sinnoh. The viewers have not forgotten that Ash has learned all these moves. There is no need to have Ash forget all he has learned in Sinnoh so that new viewers can enjoy the show more, because if they're watching the show now, then chances are they have watched Sinnoh.

Ash loosing was predictable, but it could have been handled a lot better.

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
Still my favorite episode of Best Wishes/Black and White. Good battle. I love Dan Green as Pierce.

DarkWobbuffet

BEEEEAAAARR!!!
I think they should have turned this episode into a drinking game and drink whenever Trip either said "basic" or "basics"

I wouldn't advice that. People would probably die from alcohol poisoning.

gliscor&yanmega

Surprised at Pierce's voice. Was expecting something different. I don't think it really suits him but it's a good voice nevertheless, same person who voices Knuckles and Yugi, thought I recognized it.

I was also expecting a more deeper voice for Frillish since it's suppose to be male. Servine's seemed to fit. Tranquill was alright as well.

Team Rocket is blasting off again...but this time with rocket packs and not by a Thunderbolt, awesome.

"Basic" is simply just the basics of something, in this case Pokemon, being a trainer, all that. Trip is more of the type that goes by the book over just doing whatever happens like Ash. Trip uses Abilities and Type to his advantage as well as have moves work with each other(Such as Double Team + Work Up, and Water Pulse + Hex). That kind of stuff is basic knowledge for any trainer knowing what they're doing and aren't just going with the flow.

Doesn't Trip realize that Ash is from Kanto? He knows nothing about Unova pokemon. Thus, he didn't know that Frillish had Cursed body. Now the second leaf blade was stupid since he did know about Fillish's ability.

gliscor&yanmega

Doesn't Trip realize that Ash is from Kanto? He knows nothing about Unova pokemon. Thus, he didn't know that Frillish had Cursed body. Now the second leaf blade was stupid since he did know about Fillish's ability.

Trip does know Ash is from Kanto, that's something Trip makes fun of about Ash because Kanto region is more of a rural area where as Unova is more of an urban area.

I'm not sure if Cursed Body is different in the Anime then it is in the Games, but Ash would have to attack other wise Snivy would just be sitting there doing nothing. So Ash was going for luck since he had nothing else to turn to.

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast

Ash was using that leaf blade as a move to try and knock out frillish in one move so the ability didn't matter to him. Unfortunately, it didn't work and the ability activates and frillish then finished snivy off.

DarkWobbuffet

BEEEEAAAARR!!!
I'm not sure if Cursed Body is different in the Anime then it is in the Games, but Ash would have to attack other wise Snivy would just be sitting there doing nothing.

That is a good point. What the heck was Ash, or anyone for that matter, supposed to do against Frillish? Both of Snivy's grass attacks were disabled, normal attacks wouldn't work, and apparently all of a sudden Attract can be dodged.

Frillish seems a little... overpowered in the anime.