• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Riveting Rivalry! (931)

Omegaz

Captain Amourica
Greninja vs Sceptile was a good battle, but it didn't outdo Infernape vs Electivire, my personal favorite (and best) battle out of every League ever.

it is at least Top 3 though. Infernape vs. Electivire was very good and then I'd say Charizard vs. Blastoise rounds out the top 3.

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
What's wrong with seeing the occasional struggle? I was a little turned off by how Confident Ash felt through out the entire battle like he knew he couldn't lose to Sawyer... I'm happy Ash believe in his guys, but even I'd be a little worried if all I was left with was a disadvantage

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
What's wrong with seeing the occasional struggle? I was a little turned off by how Confident Ash felt through out the entire battle like he knew he couldn't lose to Sawyer...

SSS knew for sure he was going to lose. Did you not see him break in tears at the last attack...while Ash did nothing of the sort?

That was such a fantastic oh crap moment for him. Poor faux leprechaun.

Holy157

Greninja vs Sceptile was a good battle, but it didn't outdo Infernape vs Electivire, my personal favorite (and best) battle out of every League ever.

While Infernape vs Electivire was good because it was well done in terms of tension and being a well excuted battle. Ash-Greninja vs M-Sceptile was that, maybe not at the same level, but it simply made up for it by being by far the best animated battle EVER. It was like watching a piece of art, while at the same time you got to listen to that kick *** music. The voice actors actually went at it as well.

I do seriously expect Ash-Greninja vs Zard-X to to take it a step further, which I can't really imagine though since Ash-Greninja vs M-Sceptile already was so damn good. What we got previously when Ash and Alain battled was already good, but a full 6 on 6, that might be good enough to salvage the entire League and Ash-Greninja vs Zard-X being even better than Greninja vs Sceptile? Yes please.

Really, where as the Sinnoh battle was good because of how it was done, the Kalos battle(s) make up for it by being beautiful to watch.

Last edited:

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
While Infernape vs Electivire was good because it was well done in terms of tension and being a well excuted battle. Ash-Greninja vs M-Sceptile was that, maybe not at the same level, but it simply made up for it by being by far the best animated battle EVER. It was like watching a piece of art, while at the same time you got to listen to that kick *** music. The voice actors actually went at it as well.

I do seriously expect Ash-Greninja vs Zard-X to to take it a step further, which I can't really imagine though since Ash-Greninja vs M-Sceptile already was so damn good. What we got previously when Ash and Alain battled was already good, but a full 6 on 6, that might be good enough to salvage the entire League and Ash-Greninja vs Zard-X being even better than Greninja vs Sceptile? Yes please.

Really, where as the Sinnoh battle was good because of how it was done, the Kalos battle(s) make up for it by being beautiful to watch.

now imagine a league with sinnoh's quality and kalos's animation...

ash greninja vs m sceptile was amazing. but infernape v electivire was better really. I can't wait for zard X vs ash greninja

Darkness Angel

Lover of Fate-Chan
I really enjoyed the battle between Mega Sceptile and Ash Greninja thought it was handled. Very well and the mega Shuriken was huge. Goodra's battle against Slurpuff was nice but wasn't a fan of the double ko.

I really enjoyed the battle between Mega Sceptile and Ash Greninja thought it was handled. Very well and the mega Shuriken was huge. Goodra's battle against Slurpuff was nice but wasn't a fan of the double ko.

Same man, it felt so emotional seeing how far our boy ash has come. And that serena blush at the end felt so good to see. I wonder how she will react to ash in the next episode?

kaitlynbrannan

shiny hunter <3
i didn't like the double ko's either. but I'm still rlly happy that ash is in the finals and I'm super hyped for ash greninja vs charizard x.
although i liked greninja vs sceptile, i still prefer infernape vs electivire, now that i think about it
the animation in this episode was fantastic, wow ??!

Jacob2145

I have one gripe about this battle - the Pikachu vs. Aegislash match. Although I think that the trick Ash thought of was amazing, what's with the floating pieces of wood? I mean they were literally levitating in the air for a good 15 seconds just for Pikachu to pull this trick off.

Also, this match made me sad - the Aegislash line is one of my favorite of all time and they didn't get even one win against Ash's mons.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Well, that was a mess.

1) Those pieces of wood should have fallen down faster. They just...kept defying gravity for the sake of giving Pikachu a chance to take down Aegislash.

2) And as soon as that battle is over, all of Pikachu's bruises just disappear, but the audience is told once Pikachu is back that he's damaged. Seriously? Why even remove the bruises?

3) Double ties? Really?

4) That overuse of Frenzy Plant was just ridiculous. Sceptile should have had a cool down period. But no, he kept going at it anyway. It stands to reason he should've been dead earlier.

5) If they're going to emphasize the fact Aegislash's King Shield reduces attack power, why not point out repeatedly using Leaf Storm lowers the user's attack just as much? Taking that off only makes SSS look like, yes, a genius. But if it had been there, oh boy, Sceptile would've been dead meat already.

6) STOP SAYING SSS IS THIS TERRIBLY AMAZING TRAINER, ASH.

Eh. Just my two cents.

diakyu

Yes, this top four contestant is clearly a terrible Pokemon trainer...

Holy157

That little theme they played after Greninja got hit by Leaf Storm and was running on Frenzy Plant was cool. Any name on it?

Why can't they play Stand Tall for the entire fight between Ash-Greninja and M-Sceptile again?

Last edited:

doofinc

get rillaboomed
The dub music kills the hype like seriously. Is there like a rule to play notes with no energy when this soundtrack was created? It's not even the voice acting the voice acting in here was pretty good (aside from a too-long-lasting painful jaaaaaaa from Greninja in the transformation). Hell, the best part of the battle in the dub was the part before the transformation since they didn't change the music. I never thought music was such a big part in enjoying TV shows but the dub has proven me wrong for the worse. Just use something different with more energy, like a full version of Stand Tall, or anything but what they put for standard battle music.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Honestly, what is wrong with the dub and the music? Everything simply died. All the tension just plain died. I'm not asking for the Kingdom Hearts soundtrack but put some more effort into this thing than just elevator music.

This was a very good episode and I enjoyed the battle between Ash and Sawyer.

Epicocity

Honestly, what is wrong with the dub and the music? Everything simply died. All the tension just plain died. I'm not asking for the Kingdom Hearts soundtrack but put some more effort into this thing than just elevator music.

My feelings precisely. The dub wasn't too bad, and the Ash/Sawyer golden mind field scene was actually really good. Then Stand Tall played, thought it would be good...and then it ended and all of the tension died. Everything in the episode I could no longer bring myself to care about, no matter how good the animation and voice acting was. And I even felt Sawyer's voice actor did a great job with his final "Leaf Storm" but the music said otherwise, so it was lost.

Frozocrone

Miraculous!
Well, that was a mess.

1) Those pieces of wood should have fallen down faster. They just...kept defying gravity for the sake of giving Pikachu a chance to take down Aegislash.

2) And as soon as that battle is over, all of Pikachu's bruises just disappear, but the audience is told once Pikachu is back that he's damaged. Seriously? Why even remove the bruises?

3) Double ties? Really?

4) That overuse of Frenzy Plant was just ridiculous. Sceptile should have had a cool down period. But no, he kept going at it anyway. It stands to reason he should've been dead earlier.

5) If they're going to emphasize the fact Aegislash's King Shield reduces attack power, why not point out repeatedly using Leaf Storm lowers the user's attack just as much? Taking that off only makes SSS look like, yes, a genius. But if it had been there, oh boy, Sceptile would've been dead meat already.

6) STOP SAYING SSS IS THIS TERRIBLY AMAZING TRAINER, ASH.

Eh. Just my two cents.

1) It was - I'm going to turn a blind eye to it though because Pikachu's been sha.fted so it's good to see him pull off moments like this.
2) Animation can be sloppy at times (also the writing for XY overall but eh)
3) They've been rushing the league ever since Ash had to face off against that Furfrou trainer.
4+5) I was surprised by this more than 3 Grass moves on the same moveset, considering they were pretty consistent. For Leaf Storm, I guess since it's high power and SE, it should still be making a dent regardless of drops but Frenzy Plant (especially since we've seen Cynthia/Paul use variations and needed to cool down) was a blunder.
6) SSS? Super Saiyan Sawyer? I don't rate Sawyer as a rival, not really threatened Ash at all so I agree.

Daniel31

HopingGaryReturns
A lot of people have been asking that question for a long time. I watch both the raw and dub regardless and it's a huge difference. I mean I liked some of the intro songs they made back in the day and even the remix they did for XY season 1 wasn't too bad either...but overall...I don't get it. The episode itself was ok, cool strats, nice golden moment between Ash and Sawyer, and Ash-Greninja vs Sceptile was fine. I wonder if they'll actually do something better with the music in the next episode (probably not).