• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Ruin With A View! (278)

Battra

A very good episode Ash & May are continue their journey to Odale Town, May tries to catch her first Pokemon and fails, though I don't like Ashes lecturing of May that she needed to battle the Pokemon before throwing a Pokeball, especially since Ash caught a Caterpie by just throwing a Pokeball. Nice intro for Team Magma (TM) it's to bad they and Aqua both get hosed later in the series in the way of development. It's to bad Max joins up next episode when I originally watched this episode I was hoping that it was just going to May and Ash traveling together maybe introduce the male lead from Gen 3, but alas no. Lastly I got to say the opening for Pokemon Advance is by far my favorite of all the opening they've had for 4kids run.

Jesse GS the II

I was frozen today!
A good transitional episode, though the main plot is kind of unengaging since we know we won't see Umezu again. But Kotoki Town isn't really all that special in the games, so I'll give them credit for putting those ruins there and making a story around 'em.

The opening scene where Haruka tries to capture Ruriri is hilarious. I love these early episodes where Haruka doesn't know a Poké Ball from a hole in the ground, as the dynamic between her and Satoshi is very well written. And this time, everything about the Rocket-dan's subplot is excellent - especially the visuals. It's funny seeing them all crammed into one phone booth (with the receiver pushed against Nyasu's eye when Sakaki hangs up on them), and I love their happy expressions when they pop up from the ground and shout "Tunnel completed!" only to find that they're not actually inside the building. But the biggest laugh I got was when they whisper the opening of their motto - and then Sonansu screams his part like usual and blows their cover, which is revealed to be crouching behind a rock no less than three feet away from the heroes. That's classic Rocket-dan stupidity right there.

The Magma-dan, despite what they'll end up being, is actually kind of intimidating in this one, even though I don't know why they're armed with Hellgar instead of Guraena. I'll admit, it really bugs me when the AG episodes depict Pokémon living in Hoenn that you can't actually catch there in Ruby and Sapphire. (I know the games don't equal the anime, but still...)

Starlight Aurate

Just a fallen star
It was a good episode, happy that we had Team Magma in it, although I would have liked to see Harlan. I guess it doesn't matter much, and we don't need him for every Magma appearance. Still a very good episode.

Tadashi

kiss my greens
Ahaha, May reminding Ash about her bike... where have I heard that before? >D

Oh man, May trying to catch that Azurill was funny... poor Torchic tried so hard! And Pikachu licking the bottle of ketchup! Too cute!

Team Magma was great in this episode! Very intimidating and ruthless; exactly how villains should be. Good episode overall.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
I love these the three episodes when it's just Ash and May. I felt they were going to be more shippy but instead Brock showed up plus two of May's rivals later on in the series. That's when I stopped watching advanced generation.

danparker

I remember this episode on the day when they aired the 2 Advanced episodes back in March 2003. This was the first (And only episode during my teenage year) Advanced episode I've seen. I immediatly liked the way May is designed. Somehow, I didn't mind her replacing Misty. I thought she was all right.

Hibachi

Grass Pokemon Expert
I thought this was a good episode. I thought it was funny when May reminded Ash about her bike when she wanted him to slow down. It's too bad that May didn't catch the Azurill. However, she got some good advice from Ash about having to weaken it first. I thought that it was interesting that Team Rocket is now responsible for a Team Rocket base in Hoenn. I thought it was a good introduction for Team Magma. I was glad that Ash and May were able to escape from the room they were trapped in, and eventually reach Professor Alden. Luckily Team Magma was impatient and left early or they wouldn't have been able to see Relicanth. I thought it was cute how we were able to see Pikachu's fondness of ketchup again.

Sonic Boom

@JohanSSB4 Twitter
Kind of a coincidence that May tries to catch an Azurill of all things, when someone who traveled with Ash just a few days ago wanted a Marill so badly once before. Convenience, or a slap in the face? =P

This episode had a pretty dark atmosphere not seen in many others. It made team Magma out to be a very big threat. Which, considering the Groudon/Kyogre episodes later on, and the way Team Rocket was handled beforehand, is something very worth noting.

Yet, the episode still felt a little lackluster. Team Magma's introduction could have waited for maybe 2-3 more episodes, and the entire episode could have introduced May into the ways of Pokemon training, which would be expected for her second episode. It's an episode that's forgettable, overall.

I really like this epsiode becauce you see team magma so soon unlike team glatice witch yo have to wait around70 epsiodes to see them is action.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Great team Magma episode

And i loved to see Azurill, it was cute...

BlueDragonfangirl

This episode was funny. The begining was my favorite part, it showed Ash can be a mentor when he needs to be. They should really do this for the next series, get rid of Brock and have two newbies travel with him. It'd be much better.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Great second episode, though with just a duo and not the usual trio, the cast felt empty. I didn't like that right there.

Loved that Team Rocket was assigned to stay in Hoenn though Gio probably didn't care much about the region. Team Magma debuted, but they didn't appear again for a while.

Loved Relicanth's leap out of the water. It was magnificant. 9/10

KGB13

Man of Mystery
This was a pretty good episode. I found May and Torchic failing to catch Azurill and TM's introduction entertaining. I also found it funny how that Archeologist looked just like Brock but with a pony tail.

saar

Shiny Flygon
Cool episode. Team Magma's first appearance was ok. Not something special, but pretty good. Dark pokemon- cool.

Jorah

What do I put here?
May's first capture attempt reminded me a lot of Ash's first time except it was with a Poké Ball and not a rock. Torchic didn't stand much of a chance against an Azurill it seems. There's nothing like getting ganged up on by the Azumarill line to get a rookie trainer started. It's actually really nice to see Ash act as a mentor here and not as some over-excited kid who acts like he' never traveled outside of Kanto. I like the Team Magma made an appearance so early on in the series. Their intrusion of the Pokémon Center was a little exciting. Team Magma seemed a little badass with their threats and stuff too. There were some standard Team Rocket procedures in this episode too. I don't really like Relicanth so I don't care about it appearing here. The episode was very nice overall.

Caseydia

Ace Trainer
This is I guess why I liked Hoenn because of how they made Ash after being in Johto for all that time. They should have did the same thing for BW. They didn't even have to change the age or anything. Just the attitude.