• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Rush of Ninja Wisdom (820)

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
This has to be one of my favorite episodes of XY. Bonnie, Pikachu, and Dedenne doing their cute ninja playtime was adorable to watch. Clemont's failure was actually funny, too bad he didn't say "it felt bad" (blasting off). Overall Sanpei seems like he will return at least once to deal with his ninja village. Frogadier was amazing and now I see why Pikachu couldn't tutor Froakie with Quick Attack. Pikachu's Quick Attack wouldn't compare to Frogadier's Quick Attack. Overall, this episode had cuteness, action, humor, and some nice character development and nothing overstayed its welcome.

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
Did Froakie learn Quick Attack? The Bulbapedia page lists it as one of his moves and he was initially keeping up with Frogadier when they rushed at the TR mecha with QA. Maybe he's learnt the basics but not mastered it like Frogadier has.

World Turtle

So with how Froakie is compared to Treeko was anyone else reminded of that episode where Treeko learned Bullet Seed? A Grovyle was even in the episode to further the parallel with Sanpei's Frogadier. The only difference was instead of learning the intended move-Bullet Seed/Quick Attack, Froakie learned Double Team instead.

So with how Froakie is compared to Treeko was anyone else reminded of that episode where Treeko learned Bullet Seed? A Grovyle was even in the episode to further the parallel with Sanpei's Frogadier. The only difference was instead of learning the intended move-Bullet Seed/Quick Attack, Froakie learned Double Team instead.

Yeah, the AG parallel is definitely there. Not that I'm complaining; this could signal great growth for Froakie if this is true.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
For a ninja episode it was not perfect, as I would imagine that serious training of that caliber would take years upon years to truly master. However, the opening battle was interesting to watch as were the various ninja nods that screamed Naruto at several parts. Team Rocket did their job well by providing a final test for what Froakie had been trying to learn and giving him a chance to actually apply it. I do think it was a little bit of a cheat for Froakie to change the move into Double team at the last moment because Double team is already spammed too much in the show and is usually overpowered to boot but that is only a minor quibble from me.

All things considered, I will say that this is maybe one of the better episodes so far. Koga would be proud.

Pokegirl0102

Now this was a great episode giving Froakie more development and learning a new attack as well. Though it does have me wondering will Sampei brothers actually show up in the anime and would Sampei be recurring, if so then could mean Froakie won't evolve :/, i really hope thats not the case.

Vernikova

Champion
^ It got moved to troll the unknowing viewers.

I thought it was an okay episode. I liked Sanpei's voice, and Bonnie's ninja tactics was kind of cute. That's really all I needed to like the episode, Froakie learning Double Team wasn't really interesting to me.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Sanpei's voice sounded like Clemont's, but a tad deeper. I think Sanpei is doomed to never achieve his dream just like Ash...and seriously, Venusaur? What's so ninja about it? I was expecting a Ninjask or an Accelgor.

And Ash? You really lost because of evolution. His Water Pulse and Bubble were stronger than Froakie's...so evolve the damn thing in the future on-screen!

p96822

Evolve me please
Sanpei's voice sounded like Clemont's, but a tad deeper. I think Sanpei is doomed to never achieve his dream just like Ash...and seriously, Venusaur? What's so ninja about it? I was expecting a Ninjask or an Accelgor.

And Ash? You really lost because of evolution. His Water Pulse and Bubble were stronger than Froakie's...so evolve the damn thing in the future on-screen!

Will that would be focusing his Pokémon do some they may or may not want to do. Also Froakie is still new to Ash so it would take time to train it.

This episode was a big step up from last week's episode for sure. The animation in this one was really good. The battle between Froakie and Froagadier was extremely well done. The animators have been on fire with the XY battles so far. I thought Sanpei was a very likeable COTD(??). I still think there's potential for him to return, and I would love to see that. Maybe we could actually get to see him fight his brothers later down the line. I don't think he's a League rival, though considering Serena flat out stated their goals are different and I think that was meant to be taken as a sign that Sanpei isn't collecting badges. Normally, training episodes are very hit or miss for me but the creativity they had with this worked so much better than a lot of the DP training episodes, which I felt lacked originality and for the most part were Pokémon doing attacks for the most part. Here, they were creative with it and focused more on making an entertaining show.

There's not much to say about Clemont, Bonnie, and Serena. It was the same old, same old. Clemont's invention gag of him blasting off was different than the usual, though so that was good. Bonnie was back with her cutesy acts and while I am not a Bonnie fan, I think the Bonnie fans will be pleased with her this episode. What they're doing with Serena is interesting. She has had very limited screen time in most episodes, but you get the feeling she is learning and coming to grips with what it is to be a Pokémon trainer. TRio were so-so this episode. They were plot devices once again, but they did their job and I was fine with them.

It was great that Ash and Froakie were shown training together. That's something that is very great to see with Ash. He's the trainer, not the Pokémon so he doesn't have to be jumping in the trees or trying to run in the water. He's not a Pokémon ninja so doing ninja stuff isn't necessary for him, but Ash is always very determined to learn and train with his Pokémon and that's really great.

So all in all, it was a very good episode. One of XY's best so far.

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
Oh hi Chris Patton. Nice seeing you here in Pokemon.

Really wish Maile Flannigan did his voice. With all the Naruto references it would of been perfect.

Wonder if he is a rival and if we will meet his brothers later on.

Damn this is like AG 2.0 (not a bad thing) I wonder if the writers even know. They can't be the same ones from 10 years ago can they? I know the guy in charge is new.

HoundoomFan

shy shipper
I hope Sanpei well be Ash's main rival or at the very least shows up again. He seems like a pretty cool and interesting trainer. Also like that he's pretty nice & helpful instead of Ash's other rivals during the series. Get something different than main rivals who are just a jerk to Ash.

I also found it interesting that Froakie learned a different attack than the attack that it was trying to learn. Pretty sure this is the only time that happened (or it doesn't happen often), so great to see something new.

I'm kinda disappointing that it looks as though Froakie won't evolve, since Ash doesn't have an evolved starter water pokemon. Since Sanpei has Froakie's 2nd evolution and his bother has the 3rd evolution, there's really no need for it to evolve like with Dawn's Piplub >.>

Though ether way, great episode. It was pretty funny as well (Ash trying to run on water XD) and glad glad it wasn't just mostly filler.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
I hope Sanpei well be Ash's main rival or at the very least shows up again. He seems like a pretty cool and interesting trainer. Also like that he's pretty nice & helpful instead of Ash's other rivals during the series. Get something different than main rivals who are just a jerk to Ash.

I also found it interesting that Froakie learned a different attack than the attack that it was trying to learn. Pretty sure this is the only time that happened (or it doesn't happen often), so great to see something new.

I'm kinda disappointing that it looks as though Froakie won't evolve, since Ash doesn't have an evolved starter water pokemon. Since Sanpei has Froakie's 2nd evolution and his bother has the 3rd evolution, there's really no need for it to evolve like with Dawn's Piplub >.>

Though ether way, great episode. It was pretty funny as well (Ash trying to run on water XD) and glad glad it wasn't just mostly filler.

1) Sanpei's goal doesn't get in the way for Ash. Therefore, he really doesn't count as a rival.

2) Sanpei's Frogadier's existence doesn't stop Ash from evolving Froakie, just like the Electabuzz Baseball Girl had a Bayleef and he also did. Besides, Ash has an unsettling low amount of Pokemon this time, unlike how in BW he had a full team before reaching the third Gym (and team rotation was handled badly till the end) and the final evolution his team had was...Tepig to Pignite some time during the SEVENTH Gym no less. It doesn't seem he's increasing his team number before the third Gym of this region arrives...unless of course he does get into Mega Evolution.

Last edited:

HoundoomFan

shy shipper
1) I understand that. Though he does want to get stronger as a ninja along with Frogadier, he'd might want to see how he'd fair at the pokemon league. He also said looking for strong trainers to battle at the beginning, and what better place to look than the pokemon league for strong trainer battles?

2) Good points. Though still with Froakie & Frogadier's rivalry along with Sanpei's brother having the final evolution, I'm still a little worried that they'll try to have a whole Froakie evolution line rivalry thing. But this season has surprised me so far, so I'm not saying anything's for sure yet.

Last edited:

WaterDragon trainer

Freak Like Me
This was a pretty mediocre episode. I just feel like we've seen this kind of scenario more than once in Pokemon. On a plus side, I did like Bonnie playing around as a ninja.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
1) I understand that. Though he does want to get stronger as a ninja along with Frogadier, he'd might want to see how he'd fair at the pokemon league. He also said looking for strong trainers to battle at the beginning, and what better place to look than the pokemon league for strong trainer battles?

2) Good points. Though still with Froakie & Frogadier's rivalry along with Sanpei's brother having the final evolution, I'm still a little worried that they'll try to have a whole Froakie evolution line rivalry thing. But this season has surprised me so far, so I'm not saying anything's for sure yet.

Treecko had an episode where he battle and trained witha. Grovyle

Man, I am disappointed with Chris Patton as Sanpei here: I've heard much better from him than I did here-- seems like he just completely phoned in his role here and he sounds pretty bad in the role. *sighs*

Last edited: