1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We're currently having an issue where e-mails sent to gmail accounts are not going through and are bouncing back. We're currently working to resolve this matter and apologise for any inconvenience
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

A saga don't focused on the games's quest. What's your opinion?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Animé Discussion' started by Jeal, Nov 15, 2018.

1. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

One of the reasons why the anime is so critized is repetitiveness, thanks to the repetitive plot of the games of collecting badges and compete in the league. But what if the anime had a saga entirely focused on something other than the games 'quest, such as the games' villains? Or original villains? Or an original quest? Or both? I definitely think that the anime would improve if it stopped following the games's story. What's your opinion?

2. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Rei Claus

But people hate Sun and Moon because it isn't like the other previous series and hardly focuses on the Island Trials.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Prof. SALTY and Twilight-Kun like this.
  3. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Sun and Moon don't focuses on anything, really.

4. Red and Blue

Red and Blue Well-Known Member

If Ash wins the Alolan league then sure. For Gen 8 they can give him something a bit different to do then gyms or whatever challenge Gen 8 has.

5. Zhydra

Zhydra Master of Chaos!

The Anime is meant to advertise the games, if it doesn't make any attempt to adapt the plot into it... then it isn't doing anything for the game it advertise.

Plus for Jeal. Since when has the anime EVER been faithful to the games plot, do the letter?

04n70n10 likes this.
  6. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

I never said anything about plot, I was talking about gyms.

7. AznKei

AznKei Pump It Up Prime 2 Girl

Well, Ash is made for battles to compete in the gyms/trials/leagues. What other goals would he do to make him interesting in a long term?

If I have anything to criticize about the anime is the companions/classmates being sidelined and not enough developments on their own.

8. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

They can always create an original goal for the anime.

9. shoz999

shoz999 Name's Looker, Detective Looker.

Personally. I not only think this can absolutely work but through this newfound freedom, it could potentially be one of the greatest story-lines of the anime! The idea your suggesting has actually been done before through what many Pokemon fans consider to be the greatest or most overrated story ever done in the history of Pokemon. This is the Pokemon Adventures Gold, Silver, Crystal Story Arc and it EARNED this!

[​IMG]
    In the Pokemon GSC Story Arc, there are no official gym battles and yet it has the greatest depiction of the Gym Leaders out of any medium, possibly even better than the games.

This is widely considered by most Pokemon fans as the greatest or the most overrated story arc in the entire Pokemon Adventures series, the breakout story arc that set Pokemon Adventures identity in stone, the answer to early hit storylines of Dragon Ball Z' Frieza arc or Bleach's Soul Society arc. Why? It did the unthinkable or what many you could say the seemingly impossible. It told practically everyone's story without straying away from the main story. Think EVERY single character you can think of from Gen 2 and imagine each and every one of them playing an important role in the main story. I'm talking about not just the three main protagonists but Johto Gym Leaders, Kanto Gym Leaders, Elite Four members, the tragic villain, supporting characters from Kurt's granddaughter to Bill the PC administrator of the entire Kanto-Johto region. Almost every character plays an important role in the final battle of the story and guess what? They explore this not through the eyes of a Gym challenger but through the eyes of a thief who wants revenge against Team Rocket, a trouble making but good-hearted adventurer searching for this thief and a assistant to Prof. Oak who plans on catching all 256 Pokemon of the Johto and Kanto regions. Their names are Silver, Gold and Krys and they've accomplished their goals and none of it has to do with battling the Pokemon Gyms. There's not a single Gym battle featured in this story arc.

In fact I would have to say the GSC story arc does the most justice for Gym Leaders than any storyline, even possibly better than the games! In both the games and anime, we often see Gym Leaders restricted to weaker levels of Pokemon. Here, we see them not as Gym Leaders going easy on new challengers but as masters over their typings creatively wielding some of the most ridiculously powerful Pokemon unimaginable showing that type-advantages aren't everything! We see this not through accepting challenges but instead doing their other duties of Gym Leaders by protecting the Johto and Kanto regions from evil groups and participating in a Gym Leader Tournament to display their skills with absolutely no restrictions except their own imagination and understanding their own Pokemon's limits. It's not just that but we get to see what most of the Gym Leaders thoughts are on these events and what their goals, problems and dreams are.

And guess what? That's only one story arc! There's over 20 of these. So of course the anime would benefit from this GREATLY if done right with superb execution. It would be a huge chance to explore all sorts of lore that's barely explored!

10. AznKei

AznKei Pump It Up Prime 2 Girl

Ok, so do you have an idea of your own that could work well in the anime?

For me, I had my fan project in which the goal is more like a Showcase/Contest/Battle hybrid with fast paced precise real time actions unlike the turn-based RPG stuffs from the mainstream games, and a judge ranking system that evaluates how skillful the character is, whether his/her Pokemon took damage, how fast the opponent got defeated, the overall style, than just beating the opponents and collecting the rewards, but I doubt this would translate well in the anime.

11. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Yeah, the GSC arc is my favorite. Gold is the best protagonist in Adventures. So funny and cool.

One of the reasons why the Adventures manga is so great is because of creative liberty it has. Just 4 out of 11 arcs had gym battles.
    An original goal? Well, It could be something like the games's battle frontier.

I liked your idea. How would it work?

12. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist R.I.P. Mr. Hillenburg

I mean, the Orange Islands didn't follow any game's quest. Heck, it was basically a proto-Alola, with the important part occurring before the battle.

FlygontheRavager likes this.
  13. Ash-Pikachu

Ash-Pikachu Well-Known Member

The moment Ash was introduced and was completely mesmerized by powerful trainers competing with each-other on TV established Ash's goal of being a Pokemon Master which includes being the most powerful trainer. I really don't see how Ash would be able to reach his goal without completing Gym Battles and Pokemon Leagues to be given access to the Champion's League where he can definitively prove that he's the best. Honestly though, I would love for arcs such as the Battle Frontier to return. Not only did it encompass an immense amount of Ash's growth as a trainer, but it also illustrated how much closer Ash was getting towards reaching his goal. The only thing that makes it stale is the unrealistic occurrences of battling trainers trainers who frankly have no place in the League (Tobias and Alain) which sets an absurd precedent for what's required for Ash to move forward and the lack of renowned competitions that can effectively push Ash towards reaching his goal.

14. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Well, that's no problem. They can make Ash the champion and so make a saga with original plot. Is not that the reason he loses leagues? Because the writers can't think out of the box and keep following the games's repetitive plot?

15. Ash-Pikachu

Ash-Pikachu Well-Known Member

What I'm saying is that there's really no way of doing so without completing gym battles and winning the pokemon league which stems from the main quest in the main pokemon games. Whether he reaches his destination isn't the issue, it's going about doing just that without deriving a lot from the games is the issue. I felt as though people are saying it's easier than it actually is.

16. Epicocity

Epicocity Well-Known Member

There's nothing inherently wrong with following the games or having repetition. Boil down any core concept and it can seem repetitive. Look at One Piece: boil it down and you have "Luffy arrives at island -> Engages in conflict -> Leaves island". By that token we can say the Pokemon anime is no different. And sure, there's repetition, but the details are what make each saga...each saga. So, I don't think repetition or the games' plot is what constrains the series by any nature.

In fact, I'd argue that the game plot provides an accessible structure to anyone and has been part of the reason SM is so difficult to approach at a plot level. We can all slip into the series when it follows the game plot because we hear the words "on his way to XX city" and we'll know where we're at. Picking up won't be so hard. Those evil guys? Oh, I know them! These evil guys are different, but I know everyone else so I can focus on getting to know them.

SM, even, can be slipped into because its so episodic with very little carrying over from episode to episode (see how Necrozma and Aether have had little effect on the current episodes), but does present a different problem because it doesn't follow the game.

Sorry, this is long and meandering, so I'll get to the point. I think both approaches can be good or bad, however, I'd argue splitting from the games becomes the greater gamble than continuing to stick to it ad nauseum. When you split, you have nothing but your own plot to stick to (and marketing). This can either turn out really good...or really bad. It's likely going to be one or the other with little middle room. High success, but high risk of failure. When you stick to the games, you're mired, perhaps, but it's safe. We know it. We know what we're in for, and that's a comfort.

So what's the bottom line? Sure, I wouldn't mind a differing plot from the games, but I'd prefer it to have some time to be developed because otherwise it could go off the rails quicker than Ash's development at the beginning of BW.

Ash-Pikachu likes this.
  17. Power Up

Power Up Gone for two weeks

If anything, I'd want Ash to participate in a tournament that makes him a Pokemon master. Endgame if you will

LilligantLewis likes this.
  18. Ignition

Ignition Aizawa is my mood 25/8

Depends on the basis of the saga

LilligantLewis likes this.
  19. MidnightMelody

MidnightMelody Degrassi Student

SUMO tried and failed hard. What we need is a different writing style that does not change the genre into something stupid like SoL. If Pokemon went full on shonen that would be fine. As much as people seem to hate to admit it Pokemon has had elements of a shonen before so for them to adapt into that fully would work. As for OG arcs I think if toss into the series instead of stupid pointless fillers like SUMO has it could work if it had a end result

janejane6178 likes this.
  20. Jeal

Jeal Well-Known Member

Yeah, the anime becoming shonen would be great. XY was close, but still wasn't enough.

janejane6178 likes this.