• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Scizor Conundrum

Scaldaver

Limitless
Hi everyone! It's been a while since I frequented the forums, and I need your help. Or, more accurately, my youngest brother does.

The situation is thus: my younger brothers are playing through HGSS and after every gym they battle. My youngest brother wants to bring a little sauce to the party, and wants a Scizor. He asked me what the best setup would be, and I realised I've completely forgotten the intricacies of breeding mechanics. What I think is possible:

Level 1 Scizor with Technician, with Bullet Punch, Brick Break, Night Slash, Aerial Ace.

Keep in mind as I outlay my theoretical procedure that he's limited to before Chuck:

1) Catch a Heracross - breed it with Ditto until until you get a Male with Night Slash (online says it learns it at level 1).
2) Train Heracross to level 19, making sure it learns Brick Break and Aerial Ace.
3) Breed the Heracross with a Scyther until the Scyther has Technician and the Night Slash, Brick Break and Aerial Ace (as these moves are TM's, they'll be passed down right?)
4) Evolve level 1 Scyther into Scizor, thus making it learn Bullet Punch.

Okay, are there any flaws in this procedure? If so, what's the closest you can get on a single cartridge before Chuck? Thanks for your help, I'm unable to test this myself (I gave him my cart) and he has limited play time, even during a global pandemic!

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
The thing is that female Pokémon before Gen VI couldn’t pass on any moves except ones that both parents can get through level up and both must have said move. So only Night Slash would be passed on. Brick Break and Aerial Ace would only be passed on if Heracross learned it through a TM.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Actually, Brick Break and Aerial Ace are TM moves that Heracross gets naturally, so they will always be passed down, as Scyther can learn both via TMs, too.
Is that how it works? Breeding specifics have always confused me and I thought that only the father could pass down moves that are learned naturally and TMs only if both parents know them.

Scaldaver

Limitless
Hi guys, I thought to update this with the results (turns out he WAS curious enough to test it). It turns out that most of the procedure works out, except for the Night Slash. Turns out despite level 1 Heracross having Night Slash, it 'learns' 4 other moves at level 1 that bump off Night Slash. So we've been able to extract:
Scyther, Ability Technician, Moves: Aerial Ace, Brick Break.

Evolving ought to grant Bullet Punch (he has to wait 'til Friday to get Metal Coat though!), then levelling up will get Pursuit in the short term, Night Slash in the long term! Thanks for the comments.