• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Series of Pokemon Battles!

Hey, I've never read any of anyone's work here, and I realize you're all very well known, so I decided to start by reading this. I like the concept, and how you have it as just pure battling. Of course there is the little speck of comedy in there, but everything needs that. I was also one who sent in an idea for you guys to write about. I hope it gets sent out for people to read, and I hope you guys have fun writing it.

That's all I came here for, and I'll be reading this a lot, don't you worry!

~fuzzy out~

Brian Random

I WAS FROZEN TODAY!!
Firstly, I would like to thank Iceking and Tale for welcoming me as part of the team. Looks like we’re going to have some fun. *Smiles evilly* Now, the responses…

Sike:
Never wound a Dunsparce's pride.
I’m not a believer, follower or anything by amen! =D

When Iceking set me up with a task to write up a battle scene between a Dunsparce and a Steelix, which wasn’t an easy task, at some point I thought ‘ah… David and Goliath match number… whatever.’ But I didn’t want to see a stone being thrown at a giant’s head, where’s the fun in that? I wanted to make this battle exciting, and make everyone think, ‘what a match’ and ‘that was amazing.’

Don’t be ashamed about forgetting a pokemon’s move. A lot of people do that. I, myself, checked if Dunsparce can learn Flail. I had a suspicion it did, even though I never used it.

Overall, glad you have enjoyed it.

Hahaha(x infinity)bvc87:
*Checks errors* O_O;;; Stupid MS Word!! >_< *Punches computer screen*

Iceking and Tale checked my work, like it was some sort of test. They were looking for quality, not errors.

*Winces* >.< And still the Dunsparce fights on... wow.
Yep, I felt that too. I think everybody did. XD

^_^; By the way, just what did Rocky not do?
He didn’t help out much. He did help Dunsparce and Daryl out in a way but he didn’t give much support. Dunsparce wanted to take out his frustration on him, so he did. XP

Sandos:
Why, thank you. ^^ The first one was Iceking’s and the second one’s mine. If Iceking is to read your review, I think, he’ll be very hurt. Personally, I find his battle scene funny, as stated before.
I just think the amount of hits Tackler took was a bit much to be realistic, and maybe more than just one Flai to win the battle would have also been more realistic. But yeah, I liked it.
There’s a lot of people out there who can take a lot of damage and can still go on. That Flail did do some damage, enough to knock the Steelix down. I know I haven’t mentioned this in the fic, but the Steelix was only momentarily dazed. Why didn’t I mention this? I wanted to keep everyone in suspense.

Fuzzyqwilfish:
Hey, I've never read any of anyone's work here, and I realize you're all very well known, so I decided to start by reading this.
Well, I’m mainly known for my comedy and romance one-shots, not for my main one (the one I’ve been working since the beginning of time). Iceking is well known here, because of his comedy and horror fics. Tale is well known too... I think.

I like the concept, and how you have it as just pure battling. Of course there is the little speck of comedy in there, but everything needs that.
Not being bad or anything but how many times have I heard that? Still, thanks. ^^

Last edited:

sandos

Don't Blink
^Oh...sorry Iceking. It just wasn't to my kind of taste that's all.
There’s a lot of people out there who can take a lot of damage and can still go on. That Flail did do some damage, enough to knock the Steelix down. I know I haven’t mentioned this in the fic, but the Steelix was only momentarily dazed. Why didn’t I mention this? I wanted to keep everyone in suspense.
Okay then. Thanks for replying.

~sandos;448;

Zero Nexus

Stand up, go for it
sorry but i just had to bump this thread to say...this...is...BRILLIANT! its an amazing idea, and especially how you used ideas from the simpsons, but especially...

MOLEMAN!!!!

IceKing

Sexorific!
Note: We are currently no longer accepting review requests because we are behind in our work and have 8 battles to write. However, we are very happy to take applications for new writers

If Iceking is to read your review, I think, he’ll be very hurt.

Yeah, let me tell you, I've been bawling ever since I read that review ;__; In fact, I was so upset, I'll use it as a scapegoat for lack of updates!

Written by Negrek: Sneasel versus Scizor, requested by The Mighty Medicham

The forest stretched out into one continuous blur, trees and undergrowth smearing together into nothing more than a dark band to either side of her vision, framing the fleeing form of her prey, which was bounding off into the rushing darkness. She fairly flew through the woods, not even noticing the thorns slashing at her legs or the branches reaching down to claw at her eyes. She darted around the trees and leapt over fallen logs without conscious effort, not even thinking, only reacting as obstacles came at her faster than she could even comprehend. Her entire being was focused solely on her distant quarry, the bobbing tail of the fleeing stantler, and her body had become one with the chase, merely flowing around every obstruction effortlessly as she charged through the dark tunnel of trees, pursuing the pale smudge at its end, growing steadily closer…

Something hurtled out of the canopy at a speed almost matching her own, slamming into her side with incredible force. She came out of her hunting trance startled, disoriented, stumbling to a halt, her head spinning with confusion and pain ripping through her back as her unknown assailant attacked without waiting for her to regain her bearings. She staggered sideways, thrown off-balance by the creature now clinging to her back, attacking her fragile wings. Fighting to come to her senses, she reached behind herself, slashing with her great claws in hopes of dislodging her foe. She gasped with pain as one of her metal-sheathed wing cases was wrenched around by a particularly vicious attack, but at last had a target for her own strikes. Her pincer finally found something warm and thrashing and, clamping down on it, she tore it from her back and flung it to the ground in front of her.

The sneasel landed in a balled-up position and rolled backward, then swiftly uncurled and propelled himself forward again, leaping towards her face. She brought up her claws to block, snatched him out of midair, and pivoted to slam him into the side of a tree, holding tight so his deadly long-clawed paws were pinioned securely.

“What’s this, now?” She snarled. “You have a lot to answer for, just attacking me out of nowhere like that.”

The sneasel struggled in her grasp, eyes agleam with a feverish hatred. His back claws dug into the treebark as he attempted to lever himself free of her grasp, but she merely leaned forward slightly, letting her weight do most of the work of keeping him held fast. “I have a lot to answer for?” he shrieked. “You’re the one who attacked her without any reason! I’ll make you pay for what you’ve done to her!”

She smirked slightly, watching his anger expend itself in futile writhing against the chafing grasp of her pincers. “Done to whom, now?” she asked. “If you’re going to be this irrationally dramatic, you could at least be specific about it.”

“Ilirria! Illiria, the zangoose you attacked just yesterday. When I found her, she was so badly beaten I could hardly recognize her. And when she told me who had hurt her so badly, and it was you... I vowed that I would do everything I could to avenge her. And I’m going to make you pay.”

The scizor chuckled lightly as the sneasel began to struggle again. “Zangoose? Yes, I do believe I remember her. She was hunting in my territory, of course. Thought she could steal prey right out from under my nose, did she? But she got the comeuppance of any thief—and if she couldn’t best me in battle then oh well, so be it. That’s the law of the jungle my friend, and if this “Illiria” was too weak to defend her own audacity, then how am I at fault for it?”

“You…” The sneasel choked, and the scizor was delighted to see his eyes glisten slightly, and whether the forming tears were from anger or sorrow, she did not care—they were an amusing sight in either case. But then her small opponent suddenly snapped his head forward, hissing a violent curse that came out with a blast of freezing air, shards of ice riding in the cutting breeze and slamming straight into her face, swiftly coating it with a thin layer of ice. She reared back instinctively, claws flying up to protect herself from the icy wind, and the sneasel dropped lightly to the ground.

His feet had hardly touched the earth before he bounded up again, an outstretched set of claws raking across her midsection, not powerfully enough to pierce her reinforced chitin but cutting a furrow in her armor nonetheless.

Cursing her foolishness and indulgence in gloating, she shook off the icy wind as best she was able and tried to respond to the sneasel’s renewed assault. His small size was aiding him now, however, and her sluggish response was no match for his dexterity. The dark-type seemed to be everywhere at once, worrying at her from all angles and doing surprising damage despite his disadvantage when pitted against her natural elemental resistances. He latched onto her side, claws finding a seam in her carapace and dug in, prying up the section of armor in an excruciatingly painful manner, then darted nimbly to the side as her claw came slashing through the air.

Leaping backwards, he latched briefly onto the tree to which she had previously pinned him, grinning broadly, then leapt at her again, somersaulting through the air and striking at her face as he flew past. He caught hold of one of her wingcases with the edge of a claw so that he flipped around abruptly, slamming his paws into her back. She lurched forward, growing dizzy from his quick acrobatic maneuvers. He let go of her back and skittered through her legs, tripping her up, then sprang again at her face. This time, she was able to bring her claw up in time, though, and dealt him a vicious backhand to the jaw. Her sanguine armor was marred with a splotch of darker blood as he tumbled backwards, for once not landing gracefully and sprawling on the leaves. She leapt at him with a hungry fury, huge claws descending to rend him in two.

Still, he was surprisingly quick to recover and used her own zeal against her, taking the blow from one of the attacks but grabbing her other claw firmly and twisting it around so her off-balance body slipped sideways and crashed into the loam as well. Then he was up and fighting again, contemptuously spitting a broken tooth off to the side.

She struggled to stand against the increasingly bold rain of blows falling on her exoskeleton. She couldn’t rely on her natural defenses forever, she knew, but nevertheless was willing to take a moment now and figure out how she was going to defeat the dark-type nuisance. Clearly, flailing about as she had been doing up to now wasn’t going to work.

Suddenly, the sneasel hit home, sliding a razor-sharp claw into the joint where her shoulder met her neck. Shrieking, she reared back instinctively, spinning in an attempt to reach him with a claw slash, even as warm ichor gushed from the deep wound and dribbled down her back, turning the sneasel’s pelt a gooey rust-red. Sudden inspiration hit through the blinding shock of the pain and she kept on spinning, faster and faster as she kicked into a full-on swords dance, slashing at thin air and shadowboxing in a perfectly coordinated warm-up routine, still spinning at an incredible rate. The sneasel screamed angrily, his voice swirled away by the vortex of wind that surrounded them. His clawhold grew desperate as centripetal force caught hold of him, and he scrambled for a better grip. The hemolymph oozing from her deep wound made her armor slippery, however, and he swiftly lost hold, spun out from the wildly gyrating scizor. He turned midair, dizzied but hoping to compensate, but then clipped the side of a tree trunk and went limp, unresisting as he skidded into the ground.

She whirled out of her swords dance with practiced ease, stopping with shocking abruptness and charging forward even as dead leaves and decaying matter still whipped through the air around her, riding the air currents generated by the spinning attack. Her wings hummed—painfully, as they were the part of her that had been most badly damaged by the sneasel’s assault—stirring yet more wind out of nowhere, her raging temper manifesting itself in the pure energy singing through the air around her, streamers of glittering silver twisting into the raging burst of air. With the adrenaline rush from swords dance, she hardly noticed the pain, feeling only exhilaration as the silver wind swept out around her, shrilling an eerie series of high-pitched notes as it slashed across the forest floor ahead of her, shredding leaf matter and kicking up debris. The sneasel had been rising, wobbly and stiff, obviously badly affected by his high-speed encounter with the tree, but was now knocked down again, the silver wind tearing thin gashes across his pelt as the glimmering strands of bug-type energy cut into him.

The scizor herself came running up in the attack’s wake, slamming an armored foot down on the sneasel’s chest as he weakly attempted to raise himself again, leaning over him with a mocking grin. He hopelessly tried to wrap his claws around her leg and heave her off him, but was clearly exhausted, doing nothing more than scratching the thick metallic lacquer on the surface of her armor. She pressed down harder so that her thick claw dug into his chest and drew blood, asking, “So, little sneasel, how does it feel? You came here to avenge your dear friend, and now you’re lying here as weak and helpless as her, just waiting for me to deliver the final blow. Although,” she mused as he gasped for breath, wiry frame not holding up well to the weight of her metal-clad body, “I admit I’ve had less fun watching you suffer than I did her.”

She had only a split second to realize that she had gone too far. Sudden anger awoke in the sneasel’s expression again, and with a brief, desperate cry, he summoned up the last of his strength, determined to get back at his tormentor for her sins both past and present. She jerked her head back as a sudden bright light shot from the dark-type’s paws, pure steel-type energy rippling out in iridescent waves, reinforcing the strength of his claws and honing their edges to more lethal points. He swung at her leg, and metal claw met metal plating with a rending crunch, punching deep into her flesh.

The scizor could only gasp, not even able to summon the energy to shriek with the sudden pain, but toppled over, leg giving way in response to the crippling injury. Fortunately, instinct or luck let a kick from her good leg land squarely on the side of the sneasel’s head, and he went limp at last, out cold.

Landing hard on the forest floor, she could only lie still for a moment, involuntary tears of pain leaking out from beneath her squinched-shut lids even as ichor ran from the nasty wound. After a few moments, she succeeded in forcing herself to sit up and have a look at the wound. It was bad, all right—the sneasel’s claw had ripped her carapace clean open and damaged the muscles anchored beneath. It would be ages before she would be able to walk again, much less run. Snarling, she kicked viciously at the already-unconscious sneasel, then shakily got to her feet, limping painfully away to find somewhere to lie low for a while. For a moment, she thought wistfully of the chase, and of the stantler now bounding off somewhere far away, safe from her pursuits for a good long time. It looked like berries and water until she could manage more than a weak hobble, but there was no time to wait around here, bleeding and moping—the woods were always hungry, and a nearly immobile sneasel was an attractive target for any other large predator. It was the law of the jungle, and now, thanks to that little dark-type rat, she was stuck at the bottom, just hoping to eke out a living until she was up to full form again.

She just hoped something came along and ate the sneasel before he woke up.

-Negrek

Last edited:

Sike Saner

Peace to the Mountain
Damn, now that was satisfying. =) Nice, fluid, well-paced action there. Plus, the Sneasel and the Scizor were well-written as characters. Between them, I particularly liked the Scizor; I just enjoyed the frell out of her attitude. I think this specifically was what really won me over:

I admit I’ve had less fun watching you suffer than I did her.

That’s just delicious. ^^

Other highlights:

But then her small opponent suddenly snapped his head forward, hissing a violent curse that came out with a blast of freezing air, shards of ice riding in the cutting breeze and slamming straight into her face, swiftly coating it with a thin layer of ice.

Very nice. Icy Wind is definitely done justice there.

He latched onto her side, claws finding a seam in her carapace and dug in, prying up the section of armor in an excruciatingly painful manner, then darted nimbly to the side as her claw came slashing through the air.

Ouch, even I felt that. o.o Makes me think of what it must be like to have a toenail ripped off—and then makes me imagine that sensation multiplied by a thousand. o~o

Also, the very last line made me smile. XD Classic.

So, then. Overall, an entertaining, high-quality read. I frelling loved it. ^^

Last edited:

sandos

Don't Blink
Wicked job, Iceking! The language used was really effective for this, and the ending was particularly good, as we didn't know if either would survive. In the beginning, I thought it was Sneasel running through the forest at first. But a whole load of attacks were well-written there. The characters were well-designed, too, and the plot was fairly cool. I like the way each episode has a plot, not just a battle. The first paragraph really drew me in, with brilliant description. The only bad thing was description of the characters. You could have been creative with that. It's a bit short, but after all, it is, primarily, a battle. Probably my favourite bit was when Sneasel flipped over Scizors wings and kicked her in the stomach. I just love agile moves. :)

Overall, I really liked it. Expect more reviews from me in the future!

By the way, have you any legendary battles planned? Or any involving a Caterpie? I would love to read that.

~;262;

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Sike Saner

Ah, the scizor was definitely my more favorite character out of the two. I had so much difficulty writing the sneasel's dialogue that I started to not like him much after a while. I'm glad that you liked the last, line, too--I debated for a while whether or not to take it out when I was revising, but I'm glad I left it in now. ^^

Thanks for the lovely review! I'm happy that you enjoyed the battle.

sandos

I'm glad you liked the description for the most part and the ending, as well--I really enjoyed writing the ending (and yeah, I wrote the above battle, not IceKing. XD He just posted it himself.)

The only bad thing was description of the characters. You could have been creative with that.
Could you clarify that for me a little more or point out where exactly you're talking about? I'm afraid I don't quite know what you're getting at. ^^;

By the way, have you any legendary battles planned? Or any involving a Caterpie? I would love to read that.
There weren't any on the last battle list I got, no.

Thanks for the review!

sandos

Don't Blink
Oh, by description of the characters I just meant their physical appearance, any facial trademarks, etc. But well done, I enjoyed it. :)

~;262;

Negrek

Lost but Seeking
Thanks. As to the description, yes, I think I see what you mean now... I didn't consider their physical appearances very important to the scene, so I didn't dwell on them much; sorry if that detracted from your enjoyment.