• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Seventh Pokémon?

Elementman-Novapoke

A Seventh Pokémon?

So, as we all know, on any given person's Pokémon team, they can have up to six Pokémon.
But Why?
What's stopping the trainers from carrying an extra Pokéball with them, which contains another Pokémon? What's to stop them from having seven - or more! - Pokémon on their team?

Would there be any punishments; if so, what?

Yeah...

Opinions / Ideas / Discuss.

espeon13x

Espeon Trainer
well, with the number of types, it was making it so you cant have most types, that way it teaches you coverage by the fact that with those six pokemon you have to cover all 17 types.

cheesehenderson

What Is Love?
They actually covered this topic in the Pokémon Special comic. In it, it's just widely accepted that a team of six is just the most comfortable.

Sapphiredragon929

A r t i f i c e.
Obviously, the number six is good enough. Why seven? Six pokemon raised to the best of your ability could trump nearly all the ingame trainers. You can raise more, keep them in the box...=/

Yeah, it's not THAT painful to switch pokemon from boxes.

Elementman-Novapoke

-__-
I wasn't complaining or anything.

It was a question from curiousity.
If, the Pokémon world was real, or in the animé, even, what would happen if a trainer was caught with 7 Pokémon on them?

Do y'all understand now?

DarkLemmy2

I have Nothing 2 say
-__-
I wasn't complaining or anything.

It was a question from curiousity.
If, the Pokémon world was real, or in the animé, even, what would happen if a trainer was caught with 7 Pokémon on them?

Do y'all understand now?

I remeber in the anime, Ash caught a Krabby and it telaported to Oak. But there was also the gut who had Charmander before Ash had a pile of pokeballs on the table

Last edited:

Eaglehawk

Banned
Seven Pokemon is overkill. It's just like Triple battles that my friends so strongly urges. It causes a balance disruption to the whole gameplay. Seven pokemon is an uneven and unreasonable amount. First of all, seven is a prime number that cannot be divided into any other number beside one and itself. Six is a balanced number, a perfect number. Seven gives the player too much of a choice, making the game easier to play.

CliveKoopa

Yeah. That was in "Mystery at the Lighthouse" and Ash was really panicing when Krabby dissapeared and Brock said that you can only carry six pokemon and the rest go to whoever gives you the Pokedex, in Ash's case that is Prof. Oak. From Brock's comments, what would have happened if he or Misty caught a seventh Pokemon as they don't have pokedexes. How would the pokeball transfer system, however it works, know where to send their Pokemon?

Trainmaster718

ORAS is here!
I don't know if I'd want to have more than six...
I've just become so accustomed to having six or less Pokemon, I've never really wanted to have more (except when I'm cloning on Emerald). Besides, then things would get waaay to easy. The Elite Four would no longer be challenging at all.

If trainers carried more Pokemon, then training them all evenly will take longer... and battles will also be longer too... 6 is just the right amount to have :/

Elementman-Novapoke

Ugh.

Yes, I KNOW that 6 is a good number! What I am asking is, if the Pokémon world was real, and a trainer was found to have 7 Pokémon on their person, what would happen to the person?

Like, what punishments would they get, etc?

oooo

Well, if they were found to have been carrying too many pokemon, their badges would probably be revoked. For example, after they see Brock using ground types, they could choose from grass types that they are carrying intead of electric - it would be unfair, because they havea bigger pool to choose from.

R_N

There's no law stating they can't have more then 7. In real life there'd probably be no consequences. 6 would just be the preferred "official" style, probably couldn't participate in things like Gym Battles at most.
Even then you could probably still carry your 7th around if you wanted to.

Kitsune

This Place is Death.
It is assumed that Poké Balls, an advancement that is already nothing short of amazing, have the ability to sense and transfer the Pokémon to the storage system.

A trip to Bulbapedia isn't all that hard, ladies.

As for the punishment; I'm not sure. It would depend. Assuming that the technology didn't force you to follow the rule, I would imagine that there wouldn't be much of a punishment. And if there was, it would probably be a simple fine and an order to deposit said extra Pokémon.

FlameRose

I think the punishment could be having your Pokemon training license suspended/taken away, if you're a registered trainer. If Brock and Misty were Gym Leaders, then they would be, and the Pokemon would probably be sent back to their homes and whatnot. For the person who mentioned Damien, I get the vibe he WASN'T a registered trainer, just a kid who had bought tons of Poke Balls and had found lots of wild Pokemon.

However, I wonder: what if you had six Pokemon but were just delivering a Pokemon to someone who lived, say, two cities away? Would you get in trouble for that?

R_N

Well, if they were found to have been carrying too many pokemon, their badges would probably be revoked. For example, after they see Brock using ground types, they could choose from grass types that they are carrying intead of electric - it would be unfair, because they havea bigger pool to choose from.

You can do that anyway. It's called a "box" and it wouldn't be unfair.
Shoot you can carry a grass & an electric type at the same time, you know.

Kitsune

This Place is Death.
Logically, wouldn't it be illegal for a non-registered trainer to use Poké Balls?
Kind of like someone without a hunting license going out and, well, hunting.

Buying might be alright, but I think using them wouldn't be considered appropriate. I think the whole ten-year old thing got less strict as the series progressed. It's a rather stupid addition imo.