• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Shape of Things To Come (483)

^ASH^

Beginning Trainer
I really liked the episode and it got me to realize that Shinji is my favorite character after May
I can't see what's the problem with a Pokémon beating a Pokémon that has a type advantage on it... it isn't the first time that happened and the anime is just more realistic than the games so Geodude could block the attack

I also can't understand people that say that "Shinji is a beginner trainer" or that "Hikozaru is Shinji's first Pokémon"
If I recall correct in DP3 Shinji introduce himself to the Professor so we can be sure that he didn't got Hikozaru from it and just caught it in the wild like Ash could get a wild Naetoru... and also this prove that unlike how some people think hikozaru is NOT Shinji's first Pokémon... at least not for sure - Shinji's first Pokémon is probably one of Elekid/Hikozaru and in my opinion it's much more logical for it to be Elekid because Shinji's Pokémon and Ash's Pokémon are "rivals" (Pikachu and Elekid - both are 3 stages electric type / Naetoru and Hikozaru - "rivals" because of their battle / Mukubird and Murkrow - birds) so probably Elekid is also Shinji's first Pokémon like Ash's Pikachu
We have no reason to think Shinji is a beginner trainer - so what if Elekid and Hikozaru didn't evolve? alot of Pokémon the main characters own never evolved despite having them for a long time (Squirtle/Cyndaquil/Totodile/Cacnea/Geodude and more)
So what if he only have with him 2 Pokémon at the moment? Ash also came to Sinnoh with only 2 Pokémon with him and Shinji could do exactly the same... why? we can't know the reason - maybe it has something to do with the reason he started to treat Pokémon like tools and not friends: maybe something happened with some of his Pokémon that caused him to lose faith in them and release them all or leave them at his home or with someone except for Elekid that maybe he still had a little of sentimental feelings for it (and I really hope that there will be a good reason for why he started to treat Pokémon like that)
Also in this episode when Shinji hear that the gym is a rock type he frightened a little and said that he goes to the Pokémon center - maybe there he contacted his home/someone that take care of his old Pokémon and took back Azumarill for this battle?
In my opinion Shinji is an experienced trainer and it's more logical this way... but we don't have a proof wheter he is or not =X I hope we will find out soon

This is the second time it's been stated that Shinji's Elekid has exceptional power (the first being way back in episode 3). They're either trying to hint that Shinji and Elekid have been together for a long time or that this Elekid is a special pokemon, not unlike how Pikachu used to be.
This also may add to the idea that Elekid was his first Pokémon... also remember that the first Pokémon we saw that he have is Elekid and that in his first battle with Ash and also in that gym battle he saved Elekid for the final of the battle (and yes I know he used Elekid before Hikozaru in the gym but he returned it and used it after Hikozaru lost)

Weav-vile

Totally!
I also can't understand people that say that "Shinji is a beginner trainer" or that "Hikozaru is Shinji's first Pokémon"
If I recall correct in DP3 Shinji introduce himself to the Professor so we can be sure that he didn't got Hikozaru from it and just caught it in the wild like Ash could get a wild Naetoru... and also this prove that unlike how some people think hikozaru is NOT Shinji's first Pokémon... at least not for sure - Shinji's first Pokémon is probably one of Elekid/Hikozaru and in my opinion it's much more logical for it to be Elekid because Shinji's Pokémon and Ash's Pokémon are "rivals" (Pikachu and Elekid - both are 3 stages electric type / Naetoru and Hikozaru - "rivals" because of their battle / Mukubird and Murkrow - birds) so probably Elekid is also Shinji's first Pokémon like Ash's Pikachu
We have no reason to think Shinji is a beginner trainer - so what if Elekid and Hikozaru didn't evolve? alot of Pokémon the main characters own never evolved despite having them for a long time (Squirtle/Cyndaquil/Totodile/Cacnea/Geodude and more)
So what if he only have with him 2 Pokémon at the moment? Ash also came to Sinnoh with only 2 Pokémon with him and Shinji could do exactly the same... why? we can't know the reason - maybe it has something to do with the reason he started to treat Pokémon like tools and not friends: maybe something happened with some of his Pokémon that caused him to lose faith in them and release them all or leave them at his home or with someone except for Elekid that maybe he still had a little of sentimental feelings for it (and I really hope that there will be a good reason for why he started to treat Pokémon like that).

Quoted for truth; I also guess we have no reason to think Shinji is a beginning trainer... Look at his skills as a trainer, c'mon! IMRO, he's far a most experienced trainer than Ash is. Shinji rocks and I see no reason for people to dislike him and/or argue about his appearences. Some people just complain a lot about pointless things.

- Nozomi

Last edited:

Bliksem

The Quirky Quilava
[IMG139]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/eep.png[/IMG139]

"Hmm..it appears Hyouta has sent out a Rock Type pokémon. Most Rock Type pokémon can learn ground type moves, and being at level 12, my Hikozaru will more than likely faint with one shake of the screen. Hikozaru's Attack Stats are quite high, however. So perhaps I can KO his Zugaidos in one hit? If not, I'm sure I'll be able to walk over to Hikozaru in the middle of the match and give him a Super Potion. Useless."

Next time on POKETTO MONSUTAA: DAIMOND AND PEARL!!!: Ash decides to level up his Naetle by battling Mukurus in the tall grass. Will Naetle grow to level 17 by the end of the episode?! Will Ash delete one move to make way for Curse?! Will he backtrack to the next town to purchase some more Pokéballs?! Will he discover that Murkrow isn't exclusive to his version?!
Classic gold.

But who's to say Shinji doesn't see things like that XD. I love how the anime's going right now.

Shinji's not a beginning trainer. Anyone who believes so is obviously missing the amount of skill and experience he shows. Sure, he may have studied Pokemon, but to be able to think on your feet like he does requires training. I'd like to note that Shinji seems to catch on to his opponent's strategies far quicker than Satoshi does. His battles are more entertaining to watch as it seems like both sides take their fair share of damage.

Seeing Azumarril lose is VERY amusing. That's the best Hidden Power I've ever seen.

Last edited:

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
They did mention he just started around when Hikari did (irc, and I wonder if that's the same Hikozaru as in DP 1?) but I think he might of had Elekid with him wayy before that. Perhaps he has a very tough and strict father who trained him (Gabster: OMIGOD< IT IS AJEKI!!!!!!!).

Also, Shinji ties with Yami for deepest voice for such a young kid. Honestly, I believe he's only 10. o.0

The Great Butler

Hush, keep it down
I think I've got a guess as to why Hyota seemed angry at Shinji: it looked to me like Shinji pushed Elekid WAY too hard to pull out a win against Zugaidos.

Look at Serebii's pics from the end of the battle, Elekid looks like it's going to keel over dead yet Shinji kept pushing it.

EDIT: And Hyota sure looks angry when he's giving over the badge.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Does it really make a difference? We never found out if Drew was just a beginning trainer in AG, and he was far more skilled/talented than May was.

Shinji is just one of those Smogon freaks who spend their days analyzing the stats of every Pokemon. That's why he's done so well.

Bliksem

The Quirky Quilava
Regardless. I never cared, and that's all that matters to me. I find Satoshi/Shinji's relationship more interesting than May/Drew's. In the end, whether or not Shinji has had training experience in the past will work well for people's opinion of him. If he's a rookie, then he's just incredibly talented. If he has experience, then he's just skilled.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Yeah.

However, it was alot different then when Ash wins. I mean, usually the GL congratulates them and says how their the best and everything. Hyouta was like "Good job."

However, if Shinji releases Azumarill as I suspect he might (thus may be why Hikari freaks out), I suspect Hyouta may get somewhat angry.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Regardless. I never cared, and that's all that matters to me. I find Satoshi/Shinji's relationship more interesting than May/Drew's.

The point is the fandom cared, so why are you acting like Shinji is the only character people ever tried to find out about when he started? The writers barely delved into Drew's past so they will probably barely go into Shinji's either. Their dynamic consists of something comparable to those real-life smogon nutjobs who battle with bots all day and calculate EP's in their games all day, to Ash, who is basically your typical trainer who cares about his Pokemon.

The only rival we know that didn't start before Ash was Gary, and he started at the same time as Ash and was better than him at the start too, so what's the difference?

In the end, whether or not Shinji has had training experience in the past will work well for people's opinion of him. If he's a rookie, then he's just incredibly talented. If he has experience, then he's just skilled.

Or here's the simple answer:

He's a rival. Rival characters are always stronger than the heroes. Gary, Drew, and Nozomi were all better than Ash, May and Hikari. Even if Ash has been training for a long time, Shinji is a rival, thus that makes him talented and a strong rival to Ash.

You act as if this is the deepest thing the writers could go into, when we already have our answer, Shinji fits into the rival stereotype and that's why he's strong. The problem is the writers could turn him into a Gary Stu if they're not careful, and that's why a lot of people wish he didn't win this Gym battle, the writers are on the road to making him boring and predictable.

Irene

Rather bizarre
Will he discover that Murkrow isn't exclusive to his version?!

Tsk, THIS is why the poor thing isn't appearing yet!
Go play Diamond damnit!

Shift

I'll learn you good!
I can't see what's the problem with a Pokémon beating a Pokémon that has a type advantage on it... it isn't the first time that happened and the anime is just more realistic than the games so Geodude could block the attack
You know, that seems to be the case many times, where the Pokemon that should be disadvantaged wins. Yeah, that's right! They try so hard to show that
type doesn't always matter, that in essence, they show that type never matters. Water vs rock: rock wins. Electric vs. rock: electric wins. Everyone vs. Wobbuffet: everyone wins. The Pokemon you think would win never wins. Never.
And that's where the flaw comes in, because it pretty much destroys the purpose of strategy. They might as well make a new rule that says, "Always use the Pokemon without a chance; you'll win." Sorry for going off on a tangent...

So yeah, Shinji's a jerk that needs to be brought down to Earth. But are you saying that Hikozaru is not the same one that ran out of the lab?

Last edited:

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
So yeah, Shinji's a jerk that needs to be brought down to Earth. But are you saying that Hikozaru is not the same one that ran out of the lab?
The Hikozaru in the lab had a completely different voice to Shinji's, so unless Shinji is some sort of psychotic voicebox surgeon, it's safe to assume they're different members of the same species.

Hikarii

Two i's, not one!
Actually, it's not that. Using a Pokemon that has a type advantage does just that, gives you the advantage. Your Pokemon can probably deal greater damage against those who are weak to its type or nullify an attack it's resistant to. (A water-type move can put out a fire attack, a grass-type Pokemon will absorb a water-based attack.) However, this could probably work for other situations that aren't so favorable as well. Jsut because an opponent has an advantage doesn't mean you can't win. Come on, even in the games, I bet you've used a Pokemon against its type advantage at least ONCE. OH WAIT, the first rival battle. You don't have a choice.

You know, that seems to be the case many times, where the Pokemon that should be disadvantaged wins. Yeah, that's right! They try so hard to show that
type doesn't always matter, that in essence, they show that type never matters. Water vs rock: rock wins. Electric vs. rock: electric wins. Everyone vs. Wobbuffet: everyone wins. The Pokemon you think would win never wins. Never.
And that's where the flaw comes in, because it pretty much destroys the purpose of strategy. They might as well make a new rule that says, "Always use the Pokemon without a chance; you'll win." Sorry for going off on a tangent...

Shift

I'll learn you good!
The Hikozaru in the lab had a completely different voice to Shinji's, so unless Shinji is some sort of psychotic voicebox surgeon, it's safe to assume they're different members of the same species.
Oh, I see; I can never watch the eps myslef, so I wouldn't know.

Another thing I noticed is Shinji is essentially a manifestation of those trainers who abandoned Pokemon so many times in season 1 due to they supposed "weakness". I guess someone like Shinji would have been the one who abandoned that Oddish in the Hidden Village ep. I had trouble figuring out what was so wrong with Shinji releasing them the way he does, but after seeing that ep again, now I get it.