• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Shape of Things To Come (483)

Weav-vile

Totally!
The Hikozaru in the lab had a completely different voice to Shinji's, so unless Shinji is some sort of psychotic voicebox surgeon, it's safe to assume they're different members of the same species.

The voice issue is not an excuse for that. Did you forget they've been changing Jame's Masukkipa's voice over and over? =P

But I still don't think Shinji's Hikozaru is that one we knew on DP #001.

And, ah, when did they mentioned that Shinji is a beginning trainer? o_O

- Nozomi

Shift

I'll learn you good!
Actually, it's not that. Using a Pokemon that has a type advantage does just that, gives you the advantage. Your Pokemon can probably deal greater damage against those who are weak to its type or nullify an attack it's resistant to. (A water-type move can put out a fire attack, a grass-type Pokemon will absorb a water-based attack.) However, this could probably work for other situations that aren't so favorable as well. Jsut because an opponent has an advantage doesn't mean you can't win. Come on, even in the games, I bet you've used a Pokemon against its type advantage at least ONCE. OH WAIT, the first rival battle. You don't have a choice.
Of course; what I'm saying is that in the anime, it seems like they're going so far to show that a Pokemon can win even with a disadvantage, that they essentially always seem to overcome it and win, and that the one with the advantaged is ultimately destined to lose.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
The Hikozaru in the lab had a completely different voice to Shinji's, so unless Shinji is some sort of psychotic voicebox surgeon, it's safe to assume they're different members of the same species.
Well, he does have an unsually deep voice.....

Hmmm...your right.

The Lab sounded like AiAi from Monkey Balls.
This one sounded like Aipom, if Aipom was Hikozaru, and if Aipom possibly wasn't a showboater but instead a flaming butt monkey.

The voice issue is not an excuse for that. Did you forget they've been changing Jame's Masukkipa's voice over and over? =P
That is only for Masukippa. Hikozaru has not experienced any major trauma.

uber gon

Accept Change
So Onix's attack was Stealth Rock? I always thought the rocks would be more shuriken shaped?

Anyway, who here wants to bet Stone Edge is gonna be showcased soon.

Crystal Clair

Aside from the shitty animation, this episode was pwnsome. ..... mostly cuz Shinji was in it 8D

What does Shinji keep saying when he returns his Pokemon? Its sounds like skanaiyaz or something.
I'm curious as I hear it all the time

I liked that remake of the old Johto battle song.....
Dont hit me for this but
Does a remake of a Johto song mean a remake of Johto?
XD just kidding

^ASH^

Beginning Trainer
Quoted for truth; I also guess we have no reason to think Shinji is a beginning trainer... Look at his skills as a trainer, c'mon! IMRO, he's far a most experienced trainer than Ash is. Shinji rocks and I see no reason for people to dislike him and/or argue about his appearences. Some people just complain a lot about pointless things.

- Nozomi

Nice to see someone agree with me =]

They did mention he just started around when Hikari did
My Japanese knowledge isn't that good but I'm sure I would understand it if they said Shinji is a begginner and I don't think they said so =X

(irc, and I wonder if that's the same Hikozaru as in DP 1?)
One last thing: are you saying that Hikozaru is not the same one that ran out of the lab? That's new to me.
No it isn't
I think it's really hard to believe that in between the little time was after after Hikari chose Pochama and left Shinji came chose Hikozaru then caught Elekid that amazingly well trained and caught 3 Mukkuru and learned to battle very well
And as I said - if I recall correct than Shinji introduced himself to the Professor meaning they never met before so Shinji probably caught Hikozaru as a wild Pokémon like a lot of other wild starters we saw

but I think he might of had Elekid with him wayy before that. Perhaps he has a very tough and strict father who trained him (Gabster: OMIGOD< IT IS AJEKI!!!!!!!).

This is also may be the reason why Shinji started to treat Pokémon like that... let's hope they really will let us know the reason and that it will be something interesting like that

EDIT: And Hyota sure looks angry when he's giving over the badge.
No he isn't - he just gave him the badge then Shinji took it and said "thanks"

Does it really make a difference? We never found out if Drew was just a beginning trainer in AG, and he was far more skilled/talented than May was.

Shinji is just one of those Smogon freaks who spend their days analyzing the stats of every Pokemon. That's why he's done so well.

Do we have to compare Shinji and Drew? don't get me wrong - I understand why you would compare the two considering they have the same role on the show but they doesn't MUST to be EXACTLY the same and we don't need to try and compare everything with May when it isn't related to her at all...
If we must to compare them- May was a begginer herself when she met Drew and Drew obviously was more experienced but it is less important to know if Drew also started his journey only a little before May or already traveled a lot before because anyway it is logical and easy to accept that he is better then her
But now we see that Shinji has good straregies and he really seems to be much more than a begginer trainer
And I'll qoute myself: "in this episode when Shinji hear that the gym is a rock type he frightened a little and said that he goes to the Pokémon center - maybe there he contacted his home/someone that take care of his old Pokémon and took back Azumarill for this battle?" it is possible that this what happened... we can't know for sure just how we can't know about Drew but here it seems to be more important because Ash is already an experienced trainer unlike May who just started when she met Drew

The only rival we know that didn't start before Ash was Gary, and he started at the same time as Ash and was better than him at the start too, so what's the difference?

The difference is that if two people start at the same time it is logical that maybe one will get ahead of the other
But when we have an experienced trainer then we think that the rival should also be at least a little experienced and not a begginer and what I said about the possibility that he contacted someone to take back Azumarill let me think I'm right and he isn't a begginer
Also if they wanted him to be a begginer why they didn't simply show that he get his first Pokémon from the professor? and that whole thing about them saying how "special" his Elekid is...

He's a rival. Rival characters are always stronger than the heroes. Gary, Drew, and Nozomi were all better than Ash, May and Hikari. Even if Ash has been training for a long time, Shinji is a rival, thus that makes him talented and a strong rival to Ash.
And this doesn't have anything to do with the possibility that Shinji really is an experienced trainer and the possibility that this time we will get to know that for sure...

You know, that seems to be the case many times, where the Pokemon that should be disadvantaged wins. Yeah, that's right! They try so hard to show that
type doesn't always matter, that in essence, they show that type never matters.
But it is logical to see alot of Pokémon with disadvantage win at battles
There is much more other than the Pokémon's type like the moves he use, the strategy the trainer thinks of, how well the trainer knows to make the surroundings to help him and more
Types are not everything... but sometimes we does get to see that the type helps

EDIT-
What does Shinji keep saying when he returns his Pokemon?
If I recall correct then for Azumarill it was something about how useless it was and for Hikozaru he probably said something similar
I liked that remake of the old Johto battle song.....
Me too =]

And it's really late here now so I think I'll go to sleep... good night

Last edited:

Umi Mizuno

☠ one girl army
Does a remake of a Johto song mean a remake of Johto?
Everything's hinting that. First Johto Pokemon make a lot more appearances than the D/P pokemon themselves, than Marina gets a cameo, and now a remake of a Johto song. They have to be doing this on purpose. >>

And the attack that Onix used that slammed Elekid and Hikozaru must've been Stealth Rock, it looks like it is. o.o
http://www.serebii.net/attackdex-dp/stealthrock.shtml

crimsoneagle

WHERE IS THE MILK!!!
shinji is awsome just say that, and did wut he had to do to win
so the question is can ash win too or will he have to have a rematch?

Anonymous Trainer

<-----Facewall
Throughout my years of watching the anime, at one point type does matter, then in another situation it doesn't. It keeps going off and on. It's quite clear that the writers are purposely putting in this 'glitch'. If I've never seen the Ash vs Brock where Pikachu defeats his Geodude by zapping it I would have been completely ****** at this episode.

Crystal Clair

If I recall correct then for Azumarill it was something about how useless it was and for Hikozaru he probably said something similar
You know the exact romaji for what he said? (Cuz I tend to say that a lot in Pokemon ranger, and to say what Shinji says would be that much cooler)
Btw I too dont think Shinji is a beginner trainer..... I also dont think he's ten. In fact I told my my friend who goes here that people here think Shinji's ten and she was like WTF?!. I think he's at the absolute least 12

Magical Needle Smash

You know the exact romaji for what he said?

Your earlier guess was pretty good as far as pronunciation goes. It's tsukaenai.

And, ah, when did they mentioned that Shinji is a beginning trainer? o_O

The only concrete information regarding Shinji's past is the fact that he started from Tobari City, and that comes from his bio on the official site. The anime hasn't told us anything at all so far. If there are quotes from the creators/writers or something that explain the character's background, I'd be interested in hearing it, but until we get an episode that tells us more about his past, I guess there isn't anything to go on.

I thought this battle sucked.

Not because of the type disadvantages, but because of the wasteful fights.
Elekid beat all of them. (I'm counting Onix as he lost 'cause of Static) and Hikozaru and Azumarril was left in the dust.
... Boring...

PANCAKE

I can't smile :|
Hmmmmm.... Seems like I'm the late one here to post. :(
Now I know what a p!ssed fart in a vacuum cleaner feels like.

I guess the highlights for the episode for me were the abilities. It was pretty cool to see Zugaidosu shake off Elekid's static with unconventional. Stealth rock was a nice touch too. I like seeing poor little monkeys squished like grapes! Another thing I never knew was that Onix always kept it's Japanese voice (I'm the new guy so spare me the nerdy lectures).

I'm also glad to see that the rival/Shinji is actually SEEN earing his badge insted of dangling it in Ash's face in a later episode.

On a final note, it seems Shinji scolded his Pokemon when he recalled them. Kinda looked like it ticked Ash off pretty good. Yaaaaaawn...it's late.

7/10 from me. I agree with those who said the animation was a little bland like watered down Kool-Aid. Can't wait to see Ash's battle.
-PANCAKE-

[IMG139]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v221/Gravyyy/eep.png[/IMG139]

"Hmm..it appears Hyouta has sent out a Rock Type pokémon. Most Rock Type pokémon can learn ground type moves, and being at level 12, my Hikozaru will more than likely faint with one shake of the screen. Hikozaru's Attack Stats are quite high, however. So perhaps I can KO his Zugaidos in one hit? If not, I'm sure I'll be able to walk over to Hikozaru in the middle of the match and give him a Super Potion. Useless."

Next time on POKETTO MONSUTAA: DAIMOND AND PEARL!!!: Ash decides to level up his Naetle by battling Mukurus in the tall grass. Will Naetle grow to level 17 by the end of the episode?! Will Ash delete one move to make way for Curse?! Will he backtrack to the next town to purchase some more Pokéballs?! Will he discover that Murkrow isn't exclusive to his version?!

PS: Dude, that was the best laugh I had all week!

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Pretty average episode, set-up if you will for next week.

This is exactly why Shinji better not be at every single Gym battle, his character will be so boring and repetitive if he shows Ash up at EVERY single Gym.

Please, writers, you have a good character here, don't ruin him by overshowcasing him or making him repetitive.

In fact, next time we see Shinji I hope we see him LOSE to someone for once, I don't care who he loses against, but seeing him do nothing but win all the time is going to get old fast.

Anonymous Trainer

<-----Facewall
I wasn't happy with the fact that he won the match either. It's quite clear now judging by the episode arrangement that Ash is going to lose. I seen the battle a few hours ago and even though I'm not that fond of Shinji, I found it quite one of the most intense gym battles in the series.

PANCAKE

I can't smile :|
This is exactly why Shinji better not be at every single Gym battle, his character will be so boring and repetitive if he shows Ash up at EVERY single Gym.

I agree to an extent. I'd be content seeing Shinji do about 2-3 more gyms, losing and winning some. It was nice to see him battle for his badge, something that hasn't been elaborated on if I'm correct. I remember plenty of times a badge or ribbon case was shown with the rivel having one or two up on the hero. I thought it would have been cool to see Harley or Drew have their own episodes showcasing them in a contest without May around. Speaking of which, heres hoping Nozomi gets the same treatment like Shinji did! Just don't over saturate it.

Dax

Legend
Nozomi is a very powerful performer and coordinator watching her lose to Hikari would be interesting because Hikari is just beginning.

About Shinji even that we don't know anything about him I think he's powerful and he strategy to fight is interesting. He knows what he's doing and he takes risks. It would be interesting if in the anime they explore how he became a trainer. Considering that he is practically in most of the episodes they will do it. I would love to see his reaction if he loses to a gym leader.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The first half of this battle was mehish and made Shinji look like a dues ex, I don't buy Geodude and Onix fainting at all. It was done so poorly that it makes Ash's cheapest wins look like nothing at that rate.

I guess this is proof that even the rival characters battle the same way the heroes do, pretty lame.