• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Simple Kalosian's Story

Hello dear reader! So this evening I didn't particularly feel like writing for any of my ongoing fics, but I wanted to write something. I was in a bit of angsty mood, and I had just watched a video on Pokemon X, so I ended up forming this One-Shot. It's my first try at a more tragic Pokemon story, and I've been writing it late at night so it might not be amazing, but I hope you enjoy it!

Quick Rating Warning - let's put it at a T/PG-13 for violence.

2vNHmuc.png

Credit to AmericanPi for the banner!

Pokemon training has never been something I've talked about in what feels like forever until today, since whenever I do, memories come back to stab me in the head with unforgiving intentions.

Yeah, I know, it sounds weird coming from the mouth of a person like me, right? That the way I feel about my journey is not a sunshine-and-rainbows cardboard cutout. After all, isn't a Pokemon journey one that gives someone the thrill of the outside world alongside a powerful partner that shares the deepest bond possible with you? Well, my story gives me several... emotions, you see. Emotions that still taint my way of living to this day.

My journey first begun back in Lumiose City. My mother, my father, my little sister, all three of them greeted me with beaming grins on that day - the day of my thirteenth. We all celebrated the day with my mother's glorious Sitrus Pie, while my sister gave me joke upon joke about how I was going to become an edgy emo before long now that I was a teenager before earning a few ruffles of her flowing indigo hair in return.

But on that day, I got a true surprise when my father brought from behind his back a delicate mahogany box with a golden clasp, before placing it in front of me, encouraging me to open it. Eyes brimming with wonder, I unfastened the clasp with gentle hands before lightly lifting the lid, only to gasp in surprise at the red-topped sphere. I was informed that today was finally the day I could strive to become the Pokemon trainer I had always dreamed to be. And by my side would be the partner my family had always known I'd never refuse, not even if my life was on the line.

That very same evening, I packed for the journey. Potions, money, food that would last for months inside my backpack, anything that was needed for my journey was packaged neatly into one of the pockets. My sister didn't leave my side throughout that whole time, making sure I didn't forget any key items and giving a supporting punch to the shoulder every so often. Trixie, my new Fennekin, also often gave me a few nuzzles to encourage me, assure me that the adventure I was preparing to be the main star of would be one I'd never forget, and that we'd be partners no matter what.

The birthday ended, and the new morning made itself known. A plentiful amount of tears were exchanged between all family members as I waved them farewell, and up until now I still remember my sister's last words to me on that day.

"Brother, you shouldn't return while you're taking on your challenges... I understand that you'll need plenty of time to train... but promise you'll come back for your fourteenth birthday, ok?"

The "I promise" I gave in return made her eight-year old self beam through all of the tears, and Trixie and I made our way towards the outside world with our goal set - to take down all eight Gym Leaders, and win the Lumiose Conference taking place two weeks before my next birthday.

Trixie and I, we started off by training out on Route 4. We'd ask fellow trainers for battle if they happened to pass by, and while the win-to-loss ratio was initially telling as to how I'd only just started this whole training business, I soon learned strategies to take on opponents with Trixie. Once we had mastered our first tactic, the two of us were practically falling over our feet as we ran to the Santalune Gym.

Viola wasn't much of a challenge for us. Trixie's Ember practically guaranteed that she and I would claim our Bug Type Gym badge on the first try. As we bid farewell to our first important fight and the calming atmosphere of the city, it was time to take the long and tedious trip to the next Pokemon Gym - belonging to Grant, a Rock Type user.

Along the way, we encountered a new friend and partner to us - a young but excitable and battle-ready Flabébé. I chose her name to be Bella as our new trio began training upon the cliffs of Route 8, and to the delight of all of us, Trixie made a colossal change as she evolved into Braixen. We all found our way through Ambrette Town, and chased the waves alongside Route 8. By the time we reached Cyllage City and its Gym, we had cooked up the perfect tactic to see this battle result in a victory.

And sure it did, as not only did we steal the win away from Grant, but Bella also evolved, transforming into a Floette in front of my very eyes. It was a day to celebrate, as our journey continued as a time of pure joy, when there was always a battle right around the corner.

The next challenges weren't much at all. After Bella evolved yet again into a Florges while our trio was navigating Reflection Cave, Korrina barely stood a chance, and thanks to Trixie's Fire typing, Ramos was a doddle. I may have only owned two team members, but they were all I needed as my companions, my friends, my soulmates in this adventure we were all taking on together.

By the time we had returned to Lumiose to take on Clemont, our bond was inseparable. During the battle with the Electric Gym Leader, Trixie evolved a second time, reaching her final form of Delphox. Her new Psychic abilities that she had gained upon evolving caused us to win the battle almost instantaneously, leading us to a fifth badge. After the victory, I considered returning home, just for a day. I could go and see my little sister again, and be embraced in the warm comfort of my parents.

But I never did. After all, the promise was for my fourteenth, and my little sister said that she hoped I'd prioritise my training until then.

My path took me to Laverre City, where I took on Valerie and her Fairy Types. She was quite the challenge, but Trixie's handy resistance led us to yet another victory, and yet another shiny badge to add to my collection. My two Pokemon and I were next whisked away to Anistar City, where Olympia's Team stood no challenge to our now unstoppable teamwork. We had perfect chemistry - nothing could stand in our way anymore.

The final Gym, belonging to the Ice Type master, Wulfric. That final battle, I thought about everything that had taken me here. The determination of my Pokemon. The light at the end of the road that was the Lumiose Conference. My sister, giving me a celebratory cheer in my head whenever something went well. Everything.

My passion. Trixie's passion. Bella's passion. That's what led to victory that day. And as the final spot in my badge case became dusty no longer, I cried out in pure delight.

I took the road back to Lumiose City. I reached the Conference the very morning before it took place, successfully signing up with my full set of Gym wins. Then the Conference began.

Despite succeeding against all eight Gyms, nothing had prepared me for the talent of the other competitors in the Conference. But even if I was knocked out in the first round, and even if I had to wait a whole year until I took on that challenge again, I was satisfied. My friends had taken me this far just as I had to them, and that, for me, was enough.

But, as I made my way to the stadium exits, finally able to take a break, finally able to reunite with my family outside these very doors, a sudden crash behind me caused me to freeze. I would've taken it as a simple enraged Pokemon, if it wasn't for the screams slowly becoming more frequent, louder as the crashes became plentiful. My hands brushed my Poke Balls, ready to fight any attacker who could be trying to destroy the stadium.

My legs found themselves able to move again, and I shot for the exit door. I was hit with a blast of fresh air as I passed through, but I became instantly disturbed when the Summer sky of this afternoon was replaced with a grim crimson. I rushed out and turned to the stadium, completely in shock at what I saw.

The stadium was being torn apart from the inside out, by a Pokemon that... seemed like something out of an old legend I once read, but... not, at the same time. Zygarde, the Pokemon of Order, a legendary being who most frequently took the form of a green snake. Said to watch over the Pokemon World, and step in to save it if the dilemma became too life-threatening. The colossal snake I could see, however, was glowing a bright red. I cursed. Something wasn't right. Every fibre of my being screamed to run, get away from that beast, but something stirred within me.

My family. My dear, dear family. My caring, loving family who had come to see me battle. They were still in there. And I had to save them.

My body screamed at me to stop, but I wasn't listening. I practically kicked the doors down, cursing again at myself for not knowing my way around this stadium in the slightest. I turned corners and followed corridors, not stopping until I burst out to look at what remained of the tournament area. All I could see was rubble, rubble everywhere, and the Pokemon causing it all.

Where was my family?! Had this Pokemon... had this Pokemon...

My next step was completely illogical. I threw out my two Poke Balls, screaming the names of my two partners. Both of them formed in front of me, and I commanded them to try and attack Zygarde. At that moment, the colossal snake turned to face us, and before we even had a chance to react it charged up an attack I couldn't recognise and fired it at the ceiling above us.

In a split second. It was all in a split second. The ceiling cracked, and several chunks fell in such a place so that it would directly impact me, but Trixie and Bella... they... they jumped... and then the rubble found its mark... from there I... I passed out.

Everything became fuzzy until my eyes fluttered open. I found myself in a hospital, and instantly began to panic as I recalled the events that had happened when I was last conscious. I shakily tried to escape the duvet, only to hear the sound of doctors mumbling that I was awake. Then, I registered all of the tubes, with liquid flowing into my body to keep me alive.

I later discovered that a week had passed since that incident. I was found with Trixie and Bella lying on top of me after the Gym Leaders and Champion successfully dealt with the event, which I later learned was caused by a seemingly benign but secretly malicious group named Team Flare, and I was instantly hospitalised after the doctors realised how much blood I had lost from the impact of falling rubble.

I then... I then asked... I asked about who lived and who died. I asked about my family. Asked about Trixie and Bella. I demanded answers.

The only reply I was offered... that reply. "I'm so sorry. But they didn't make it."

I screamed. I cried. I denied them. Yelled at them to say that wasn't what happened. My hospital bed suddenly felt pointless. I'd just lost all of those who mattered to me most, and all those people could say was "I'm so sorry"? None of them deserved that. Bella, Trixie... my sister, Kayley. My parents. Nothing f**king mattered to me anymore. The people who motivated me to carry on, those who... who... kept me living, were now all dead. All because of some f**king evil scheme by a man who didn't care for the consequences. Didn't care for anyone. Didn't care for the being he mind-controlled into causing this mess. Didn't care for any emotions except his own.

All I wanted to do was die. If those who supported me were gone, I'd have no reason left to continue for another day. But the doctors kept me in the hospital bed, and I was too weak to try and resist.

To this day, I still don't know why I chose to keep on living. Once I had recovered, I was allowed to leave, and emerged from the hospital on my fourteenth birthday, when there was nobody, not even the wide grin of my sister to greet me. I felt so, so alone, but I guess at that point I just didn't have the courage to take my own life. My mental health was permanently damaged, and I've had to take counselling in Santalune City to deal with the trauma. I couldn't talk about my story without ending up in a panic attack until today, and I'm still too scared to enter Lumiose City, or even eat another Sitrus Pie.

I've never tried to train a Pokemon ever again. I don't think I ever will either. I just want to stay alone for the rest of my life.

Alone, and never attached to anything ever again.

Last edited:

Mia Blaze

I'mma gonna Deku in the face, Kacchan
Deep as hell man, based on the XYZ seires ending? I like it.

Scared so much that they never trained again, that is is realistic response to the situation and nice portrayal of the characters. Overall, pretty good.

Deep as hell man, based on the XYZ seires ending? I like it.

Thanks! I just couldn't help but look at that climax and wonder what the consequences would've been like for just a random trainer, so I ended up going along the tragic route.

Scared so much that they never trained again, that is is realistic response to the situation

I felt like that's how somebody would react if they had everything they cared for taken away from them, and I guess my idea was somewhat accurate!

and nice portrayal of the characters. Overall, pretty good.

Thanks! The six main characters (the boy, his parents, his sister and his two Pokemon) were the key pinpoints of the fic, so I had to make sure the people and Pokemon around the boy were represented in such a way so that the reader understood why the boy cared for them so much. I'm glad that showed!

TikTok13

Oh, I have a title?
What happened to the happy little stories!?

Bloody hell, this was actually fantastic. Although I didn't realise it was linked to the XYZ anime arc, it was still really good, and your darker writing style definitely needs some more attention.

Overall, a thumbs up. :)

What happened to the happy little stories!?

I felt angsty last night. This is how I chose to expel my angst. The happier stuff should be back soon though.

Bloody hell, this was actually fantastic.

Aww, thank you!

Although I didn't realise it was linked to the XYZ anime arc,

Understandable. The anime changed it from the games a lot. It left a space open for a tragic story though!

it was still really good, and your darker writing style definitely needs some more attention.

I write darker stuff when I'm more in the mood for it. However, when those moods arise, what results is a piece of tragic fanfiction just for the sake of reading and crying at! Seriously though, thanks.

Overall, a thumbs up. :)

Yay!

Interesting one-shot you have here. There’s always a lot of untold stories happening in the background of all these grand events that we never get to see, so reading one as impactful as this is a treat. Your ending is very gut-punchy, too.

By the end, though, I’m not sure if the impact of the scenes leading up to the climax in the Lumiose Conference was as strong as it could be? I know that you had to go through all the gym leaders to establish that the protagonist is a good trainer and that he earned his place in the conference, but I feel like this space could have also been used to strengthen the protagonist’s bond with his Pokemon. We get from your narration of the gym battles that they’ve formed a strong enough bond for them to be a strong team and for the Pokemon to evolve, but we don’t get to see how the protagonist did just that. How did he treat his Pokemon? What did his Pokemon see in him that made them decide that he was a good trainer to stick with and trust? Taking your time to explore these aspects of your characters would make gut-punchy endings like what you have here even more gut-punchy and impactful.

I say that because you already do something to that effect in your ending, where your protagonist vents out his anger toward Team Flare. And the shift in the tone of your narration — from the more storytelling voice of the gym battles to this very personal ending — struck me as a bit jarring because of what I say above. I think injecting that personality into the rest of your narration would make the whole story tighter — especially considering that you chose the first-person POV, which relies a lot on the personality of your narrator — and make it overall more gut-punchy. (Apologies for using that word a lot — it was the first reaction I made after reading the ending and it stuck for this entire review. Oops.)

Overall it’s a good read, and like I said, I do like what you set out to do with this story and how you ended it. I just think it can use a little more work in the middle so that it matches the impact of your ending. Good job with it! :)

(And as a side-note: I’m a bit envious of your prolificness ahaha. Good luck with all of your projects!)

Interesting one-shot you have here. There’s always a lot of untold stories happening in the background of all these grand events that we never get to see, so reading one as impactful as this is a treat. Your ending is very gut-punchy, too.

Thanks, I guess? I tried to go for something like that.

By the end, though, I’m not sure if the impact of the scenes leading up to the climax in the Lumiose Conference was as strong as it could be? I know that you had to go through all the gym leaders to establish that the protagonist is a good trainer and that he earned his place in the conference, but I feel like this space could have also been used to strengthen the protagonist’s bond with his Pokemon. We get from your narration of the gym battles that they’ve formed a strong enough bond for them to be a strong team and for the Pokemon to evolve, but we don’t get to see how the protagonist did just that. How did he treat his Pokemon? What did his Pokemon see in him that made them decide that he was a good trainer to stick with and trust? Taking your time to explore these aspects of your characters would make gut-punchy endings like what you have here even more gut-punchy and impactful.

I can see what you mean. Maybe I should've tried to do that a little more.

I say that because you already do something to that effect in your ending, where your protagonist vents out his anger toward Team Flare. And the shift in the tone of your narration — from the more storytelling voice of the gym battles to this very personal ending — struck me as a bit jarring because of what I say above. I think injecting that personality into the rest of your narration would make the whole story tighter — especially considering that you chose the first-person POV, which relies a lot on the personality of your narrator — and make it overall more gut-punchy. (Apologies for using that word a lot — it was the first reaction I made after reading the ending and it stuck for this entire review. Oops.)

I kinda felt like making the trainer at first and the trainer after the incident almost like two completely different people, the latter of whom was severely traumatised. I could've gotten that across a little better maybe?

Also, it's fine to use the same word twice! I do it quite a lot.

Overall it’s a good read, and like I said, I do like what you set out to do with this story and how you ended it. I just think it can use a little more work in the middle so that it matches the impact of your ending. Good job with it! :)

Thanks! For my first ever tragic one-shot, I'm glad that you like it.

(And as a side-note: I’m a bit envious of your prolificness ahaha. Good luck with all of your projects!)

Aww thanks! I'm personally a little jealous of how well you can do subtle yet impactful stories through dialogue. And thank you! I wish you luck in your projects too.

DreamSayer

Name's Adam.
To sum it up, this story is essentially just a summary of a trainer’s journey around Kalos. However, the entire story felt like one long exposition and we were never given the chance to really know these characters. The story did not show any part of his journey, it only told us about it. And I know that this was intended to be a one-shot, but stories like these don’t work very well as oneshots. One shot stories work better if you use already established characters and even if you don’t do that, you shouldn’t try to summarize what could otherwise have taken several chapters.

The disconnect between the character and the reader became apparent the moment the story failed to even tell of the name of the main character. And like I’ve stated before, we didn’t really see his relationship to his pokemon. We got a small segment with him and his family and that was about it. That caused the eventual tragedy to not be as impactful as it would’ve been.

I think the story would’ve been better if we got to see him with his family then a lot more of the league part and cutting out his journey since it didn’t matter anyway. That way, we’d see his relationship with his family, followed by us seeing his relationship to his pokemon from their battle at the conference. If you’d done that, then one would be heartless not to feel anything from seeing things going bad really quickly afterwards.

Regardless of these issues, the story was by no means unreadable. It was a bit fun and enjoyable, but it just wasn’t as powerful as it would’ve been which it could’ve.

Chibi Pika

Stay positive
Heya! So I read this last week, but I wanted to take my time to think about the reasons why I liked certain aspects of it, and why a couple other aspects didn’t quite do it for me as effectively as your other stories. Didn’t wanna be like, “hmmmm doesn’t really do it for me” without giving you proper reasoning, you know?

First of all, I gotta give you props for even writing it, as tragedy one-shots are a tricky beast indeed. I liked the language you used to describe all the powerful emotions the protagonist was hit with, and you definitely did a good job conveying that level of sheer hurt without it feeling overblown or forced. Where I think the story falls a bit short, however, is in the “summarized” feel that it had. Now, don’t get me wrong--I know some summarizing was necessary. Obviously you can’t show their entire journey. This is a one-shot! But I think interspersing a few first-hand scenes of their journey into the story might have made it easier for the ready to really feel their bond, you know? Even just getting to see a few cute moments of Trixie and Bella would go a long way towards making the reader feel a connection to them (we get all these emotions from the protagonist, yeah, but not from them, which makes it harder to connect to them.

For example, I felt a lot more of a connection with the sister character, just from that small bit of time we spent with her. Hopefully that shows what I mean.

I also think the opening paragraphs of the scene would benefit from this. Rather than the protagonist summarizing how their journey ended in loss, having it open with a small snippet of the scene where he loses everything. Because I do like the idea of the story being a foregone conclusion, and going into it knowing it’s all gonna go south. But that bit about how not all journeys are sunshine and rainbows… did feel a little cheesy, yeah… xP (And I only say this because I’ve written a one-shot that did that exact same thing, so it’s not just you, trust me.) xD

Anywho, all that said, I really do like getting to see you try out all these different genres with your stories, and I’d definitely want to see you do something like this again, cause like I said, the emotions were excellently portrayed. I just think the narrative needs a few tweaks to help those emotions shine better.

Good luck, and happy writing!

~Chibi~;249;;448;

To sum it up, this story is essentially just a summary of a trainer’s journey around Kalos. However, the entire story felt like one long exposition and we were never given the chance to really know these characters. The story did not show any part of his journey, it only told us about it. And I know that this was intended to be a one-shot, but stories like these don’t work very well as oneshots. One shot stories work better if you use already established characters and even if you don’t do that, you shouldn’t try to summarize what could otherwise have taken several chapters.

I can understand what you mean. I tried to emphasise a trainer telling the story rather than the story actually taking place in a similar way to a JourneyFic, but if it's not the best way of appealing I can see that.

The disconnect between the character and the reader became apparent the moment the story failed to even tell of the name of the main character.

That was actually an intentional act on my part. I wanted to see if I could still write an impactful story without naming the main characters since I've seen it done before.

And like I’ve stated before, we didn’t really see his relationship to his pokemon. We got a small segment with him and his family and that was about it. That caused the eventual tragedy to not be as impactful as it would’ve been.

I can see where you're coming from. I might rewrite this one day with more bonds between the trainer and his Pokemon.

I think the story would’ve been better if we got to see him with his family then a lot more of the league part and cutting out his journey since it didn’t matter anyway. That way, we’d see his relationship with his family, followed by us seeing his relationship to his pokemon from their battle at the conference. If you’d done that, then one would be heartless not to feel anything from seeing things going bad really quickly afterwards.

I felt like including the journey should've been there since to me it made more sense that we should see the journey that brought the trainer to the conference, since that's where his bond with his Pokemon grew the most.

Regardless of these issues, the story was by no means unreadable. It was a bit fun and enjoyable, but it just wasn’t as powerful as it would’ve been which it could’ve.

Ok! I'm glad you at least somewhat enjoyed it.

Heya! So I read this last week, but I wanted to take my time to think about the reasons why I liked certain aspects of it, and why a couple other aspects didn’t quite do it for me as effectively as your other stories. Didn’t wanna be like, “hmmmm doesn’t really do it for me” without giving you proper reasoning, you know?

Yep, and thanks for that!

First of all, I gotta give you props for even writing it, as tragedy one-shots are a tricky beast indeed.

I learned that while writing it, actually.

I liked the language you used to describe all the powerful emotions the protagonist was hit with, and you definitely did a good job conveying that level of sheer hurt without it feeling overblown or forced.

Thanks! I think I learned how to do emotional impact in short stories through writing a modern fable as a class project about six months ago. I see it at least somewhat paid off.

Where I think the story falls a bit short, however, is in the “summarized” feel that it had. Now, don’t get me wrong--I know some summarizing was necessary. Obviously you can’t show their entire journey. This is a one-shot! But I think interspersing a few first-hand scenes of their journey into the story might have made it easier for the ready to really feel their bond, you know? Even just getting to see a few cute moments of Trixie and Bella would go a long way towards making the reader feel a connection to them (we get all these emotions from the protagonist, yeah, but not from them, which makes it harder to connect to them.

I've been told this multiple times in these reviews, but I think I understood the clearest here. I can entirely get where you're coming from, and if I ever rewrite this then I'll be sure to include some with them!

For example, I felt a lot more of a connection with the sister character, just from that small bit of time we spent with her. Hopefully that shows what I mean.

Yep, it does. I guess at least you felt a connection with his sister though, that's pretty cool.

I also think the opening paragraphs of the scene would benefit from this. Rather than the protagonist summarizing how their journey ended in loss, having it open with a small snippet of the scene where he loses everything. Because I do like the idea of the story being a foregone conclusion, and going into it knowing it’s all gonna go south. But that bit about how not all journeys are sunshine and rainbows… did feel a little cheesy, yeah… xP (And I only say this because I’ve written a one-shot that did that exact same thing, so it’s not just you, trust me.) xD

I guess that's what happens when I write a fic while feeling angsty. I go into extreme edgy mode. I understand though, and that makes sense!

Anywho, all that said, I really do like getting to see you try out all these different genres with your stories, and I’d definitely want to see you do something like this again, cause like I said, the emotions were excellently portrayed. I just think the narrative needs a few tweaks to help those emotions shine better.

Awesome! I'm glad that you like it. And I'm enjoying writing new genres too. It's somewhat refreshing as I try out each new style, and sometimes come back to an old one :p

Good luck, and happy writing!

~Chibi~;249;;448;

Thanks, and I wish you good luck too!

JX Valentine

Ever-Discordant
I'd hate to echo what others have said (especially since it may be beating a dead horse at this point), but I can't help but agree about the first half of the story. See, tragedy is also a difficult genre to write for, but it's a little more demanding than comedy because it's a strict balance. If you bog the story down with too many details, you'll drown out the emotions you're trying to evoke. If you go overboard with the emotions, then the end result sounds melodramatic. You have to be extremely aware of your word usage and how much information you divulge.

So that's the main reason why the build-up doesn't quite work. You know how they say "show, don't tell"? What that means is that, generally speaking, a story is stronger when you have action instead of summaries. If you "show" your characters interact (through scenes complete with dialogue and actual, physical action), it's far, far stronger than simply summarizing what went on, which is to say that it evokes a stronger emotion. This is because we can see your characters do their thing and, in the process, visualize them, which in turn helps us to form emotional attachments. By contrast, summarizing removes us emotionally by denying us of our ability to visualize, not to mention it kinda feels like a slog to get through.

This isn't to say that there's nothing here worth saving, of course! The second half of the fic has a lot of potential. (Right up until the paragraph wherein the narrator swears, of course. Then it kinda feels a little heavy-handed instead, especially when you have them rant about Lysandre—because, among other things, how would he know what actually happened if he just woke up?) Absolutely, it's dramatic to watch this kid get to the end of his journey, feel all pumped and unbeatable, and then face the horror that is a legendary pokémon rearing its ugly head and destroying everything in its path. Absolutely, it's terrifying to watch this trainer practically kick down a door and frantically hunt for his family. Absolutely, it feels terrible to watch his inner monologue fire off questions about where their family is and what's going on.

And absolutely, it's heavy to see the destruction knock him out a split second after his pokémon are taken down, and it's heavier to see them wake up in the hospital, completely alone. Those images, in rapid succession, are dynamic. We feel the panic our narrator goes through, and we're invested in whether or not he'll make it out alive—and, more importantly, whether or not his family and pokémon will. So really, if you lopped off the first half of this fic (perhaps by having them interact with his pokémon at the beginning to establish their relationship to him, along with perhaps a note or few about seeing his family in the stands before Zygarde even shows up), you'll end up with something stronger and more poignant. Or alternatively, you could do what Chibi advised, depending on whether or not you believe you can tell this story without bringing up the character's background. (I kinda think you could, though, because most of the action is focused on a single point in time. This isn't necessarily a story about this trainer's journey or the bonds he has with his pokémon but rather a story of how he lost his family and, incidentally, his pokémon as well. It could be both, of course, especially if you do decide to develop the first half of this fic further.)

But ultimately, the main thing to remember is that when it comes to emotions, less is more. Keep in mind that every word counts when it comes to an emotional fic and that if something isn't adding more to the emotional aspect of your story (as in, if something is there just to add background, rather than to push the plot and emotional tension forward), then it may be a good idea to trim it. b)'')b

I'd hate to echo what others have said (especially since it may be beating a dead horse at this point), but I can't help but agree about the first half of the story. See, tragedy is also a difficult genre to write for, but it's a little more demanding than comedy because it's a strict balance. If you bog the story down with too many details, you'll drown out the emotions you're trying to evoke. If you go overboard with the emotions, then the end result sounds melodramatic. You have to be extremely aware of your word usage and how much information you divulge.

So that's the main reason why the build-up doesn't quite work. You know how they say "show, don't tell"? What that means is that, generally speaking, a story is stronger when you have action instead of summaries. If you "show" your characters interact (through scenes complete with dialogue and actual, physical action), it's far, far stronger than simply summarizing what went on, which is to say that it evokes a stronger emotion. This is because we can see your characters do their thing and, in the process, visualize them, which in turn helps us to form emotional attachments. By contrast, summarizing removes us emotionally by denying us of our ability to visualize, not to mention it kinda feels like a slog to get through.

Yep, and that's why I think I might wait a decent amount of time, improve my writing and all that fun stuff, and then give this a bit of a rewrite.

This isn't to say that there's nothing here worth saving, of course! The second half of the fic has a lot of potential. (Right up until the paragraph wherein the narrator swears, of course. Then it kinda feels a little heavy-handed instead, especially when you have them rant about Lysandre—because, among other things, how would he know what actually happened if he just woke up?) Absolutely, it's dramatic to watch this kid get to the end of his journey, feel all pumped and unbeatable, and then face the horror that is a legendary pokémon rearing its ugly head and destroying everything in its path. Absolutely, it's terrifying to watch this trainer practically kick down a door and frantically hunt for his family. Absolutely, it feels terrible to watch his inner monologue fire off questions about where their family is and what's going on.

And absolutely, it's heavy to see the destruction knock him out a split second after his pokémon are taken down, and it's heavier to see them wake up in the hospital, completely alone. Those images, in rapid succession, are dynamic. We feel the panic our narrator goes through, and we're invested in whether or not he'll make it out alive—and, more importantly, whether or not his family and pokémon will.

I feel like I rushed a bit of the earlier part to reach the more dramatic second half, and that might just be why the first half didn't turn out so well. At least I know what part I did well, and I'm looking forward to the day I decide to rewrite this!

So really, if you lopped off the first half of this fic (perhaps by having them interact with his pokémon at the beginning to establish their relationship to him, along with perhaps a note or few about seeing his family in the stands before Zygarde even shows up), you'll end up with something stronger and more poignant. Or alternatively, you could do what Chibi advised, depending on whether or not you believe you can tell this story without bringing up the character's background. (I kinda think you could, though, because most of the action is focused on a single point in time. This isn't necessarily a story about this trainer's journey or the bonds he has with his pokémon but rather a story of how he lost his family and, incidentally, his pokémon as well. It could be both, of course, especially if you do decide to develop the first half of this fic further.)

I'll bear this in mind for future!

But ultimately, the main thing to remember is that when it comes to emotions, less is more. Keep in mind that every word counts when it comes to an emotional fic and that if something isn't adding more to the emotional aspect of your story (as in, if something is there just to add background, rather than to push the plot and emotional tension forward), then it may be a good idea to trim it. b)'')b

Yep! Thanks for letting me know!