• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A slightly original volt turn team.

Zachmac

My first attempt at Volt Turn; a team without Scizor.

I need to get better at names...
373.gif
227.gif
242.gif
462.gif
479-w.gif
620.gif

So, after seeing it's rising popularity, I decided to give Volt Turn a shot myself. The main reason I tried this was because it looked like fun, doing damage and swapping to my team's best counter for each pokemon. However, almost every volt turn team I've seen consisted of the combination of both Scizor and Rotom-W. I wanted to keep my team original, even if it was slightly, so I decided I'd only use one of them.

373.gif

Salamence @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Att / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
With the fall of the Battling Academy, I know longer have any signature pokemon. Sure, we plan to make a new clan, but sig pokemon isn't going to be part of it. In other words, I'm able to opt out my Gyarados for something else. Infernape made a nice scarfer, but it worked best without. So, I decided to swap Gyarados as something that could work to revenge kill +1 pokemon and work as a late game sweeper at the same time; Salamence. Outrage is when my team is ready to sweep, but Dragon Claw is when I must revenge kill something and my enemy still has a steel type or ice shard somewhere in their team. Earthquake is decent coverage, and can sometimes help defeat teams that happen to be weaker to ground. I chose Rock Slide over Stone Edge and Fire Fang because Stone Edge wouldn't be seeing much use out of revenge killing Volcarona/Tornadus, and I don't want to risk the accuracy when Rock Slide will KO them anyway, and Fire Fang is just two weak for my liking's.

Base 100 speed isn't that bad for revenge killing either. Most Volcarona run modest natures, and it's got enough speed to outrun +1 Dragonite, Gyarados, Haxorus, Scarf Hydreigon, and adamant Salamence.

227.gif

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 Spd
Impish (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stealth rock
- Whirlwind
- Roost
- Spikes
Though the SkarmBliss core isn't really as common in 5th gen, but from my experience, it's still pretty good. I needed something to absorb powerful, physical hits, and realizing my team had a Chansy, I swapped Jirachi out for Skarmory. Spikes is useful, with how many swap outs my team causes. Stealth Rock is also pretty good, being able to hit pokemon immune to spikes. Whirlwind phazes, and is ideal on Skamory. Roost is reliable recovery.

242.gif

Blissy @ Leftovers
Ability: Nature Cure
EVs: 252 HP /252 Def/4 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Att)
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Wish
- Seismic Toss
With all the swap outs I'd be causing, stealth rock would benefit my team a lot. She is my team's cleric, healing status and health of her teammates. Seismic toss allows her to take out the lati twins one on one. I chose Blissy over Chansy mostly because of leftovers, and Psyshock is usually just a 3HKO anyway. There isn't really much to say other then my team is weak to residual damage and status, and she fixes it.

462.gif

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 144 HP / 252 SAtk / 112 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
Hidden Power Fire allows it to hit Scizor, Ferrothorn, and the occasional Bronzong for super effective damage, helping to clear to way for my Salamence's sweep. Volt Switch supports this teams strategy as a volt turn team, and also provides STAB against Skarmory. Flash Cannon and Thunderbolt are mostly fillers, but they are still reliable STAB. It's EVs are just enough to outrun the standard Skarmory to prevent an extra layer of spikes. This also allows it to outrun a choice band Scizor before it can U-turn away as well.

Anyway, this guy hits like a truck. A volt switch from it is just as tough as a U-turn from banded Scizor. It also 2HKOs the standard Ferrothorn in the rain, so I don't need to worry about Politoed.

479-w.gif

Rotom-W @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 26 HP / 252 SAtk / 228 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Hidden Power [Fire/Grass]
The standard scarf Rotom-W. It gives my team a bulky volt turner, and also a powerful water move in Hydro Pump to help it take on threats like Landorus. Volt Switch is not only standard, but also adds on the team's strategy. Trick is handy for swap ins such as Chansy. Finally, I gave it HP ice to smack Ferrothorn, which my team would otherwise have problems with. It may seem strange to use two choice scarfers, but I really enjoy the speed, and it can't revenge kill some pokemon Salamence can. The EVs may seem a bit weird, but they're just enough to outrun a max speed scarf Politoed and Jolteon, as there is nothing else notable to outrun after those two, and it won't have a speed tie with enemy rotoms as a lot will carry HP ice or flawless IVs, along with a timid nature, and HP fire brings it down to only 30 speed IVs. I may use HP grass to lure out Gastrodon, but it fails to OHKO the standard set.

620.gif

Mienshao @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
- High Jump Kick
- Fake Out
I needed a powerful, physical force to add to my team. Mienshao was the best solution. I would usually prefer Infernape, but with Magnezone, it's fire STAB would be unneeded. Hidden Power Ice allows it to hurt Gliscor, it's otherwise counter, while allowing me to KO unboosted dragons. U-turn helps keep offensive momentum, and Fake Out also aids in scouting. Hi Jump Kick is very power, even with it's 10% chance to miss, Regenerator could make up for any damage taken. It Blissy with ease, and easily handles an even slightly weakened Gastrodon, which are two pokemon who can prove to be very troublesome for Magnezone and Rotom-W.

Testing

Nothing at the moment​

I really want help with this team. It's ranking is usually around 1,000 on Smogon, which is pretty underwhelming. At least to me. I want it to at least reach 1,150 points before I'm satisfied.

Last edited:

Soperman

The One and Only
If you want a bulky counter to the Lati twins, I would suggest going for a Bulky Gyarados set, or a different bulky Water type. Lati@s rarely ever carries an electric type attack, so that could work. Jellicent is one example.
Besides that, use U-Turn to your advantage against Latios. On Infernape, if you see Latios, use U-Turn to damage it a ton (if you're faster than it)
...Then again that only works with Scarf.
Besides that, your team looks good.

Sevans

Battle Subway Boss
Putting it out there; I love Jolteon with Volt Switch. Hidden Power[ice]. max speed. and two other moves; I use rain dance and thunder. Max speed on Jolteon with an air balloon, and it may help you outspeed fast stuff. It also pairs nicely with Gyarados.

I would say U-turn over Protect on Jirachi. Jirachi is sorta slow, so you can U-turn and give the pokémon coming in a turn without being hit instead of switching them in.

Zachmac

Putting it out there; I love Jolteon with Volt Switch. Hidden Power[ice]. max speed. and two other moves; I use rain dance and thunder. Max speed on Jolteon with an air balloon, and it may help you outspeed fast stuff. It also pairs nicely with Gyarados.
Though I won't add it without a good reason to.
If you want a bulky counter to the Lati twins, I would suggest going for a Bulky Gyarados set, or a different bulky Water type. Lati@s rarely ever carries an electric type attack, so that could work. Jellicent is one example.
I wouldn't have a good way to handle sub calm mind though...

Maybe vaporeon? It could use wish to help heal teammates like Jirachi, and phase the calm mind latis away.
Besides that, use U-Turn to your advantage against Latios. On Infernape, if you see Latios, use U-Turn to damage it a ton (if you're faster than it)
The latis have 110 base speed. Infernape only has 108. :/
I would say U-turn over Protect on Jirachi. Jirachi is sorta slow, so you can U-turn and give the pokémon coming in a turn without being hit instead of switching them in.
Actually, if I do end up swapping Ferrothorn for something else that doesn't have SR, I'll be giving Jirachi SR > Protect. If not, U-turn it is.

Edit: Eh...Vaporeon isn't working for me. I'm not sure if Jellicent would be much help either, as it can't do anything to them in return. :/

Last edited:

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
Considering your running a volt-turn team, wouldn't a spinner be very beneficial to your team? You could replace ferrothorn with forretress looking something like this;
Forretress @ leftovers/steel gem
Careful
Sturdy
252 hp ev's x atk ev's x sp def ev's
Gyro ball
Stealth rock
Spikes
Rapid spin

Edit: Brave would be a much better nature
Just do a damage calc to make sure it ohko's the Latis is all

Zachmac

Considering your running a volt-turn team, wouldn't a spinner be very beneficial to your team? You could replace ferrothorn with forretress looking something like this;
Forretress @ leftovers/steel gem
Careful
Sturdy
252 hp ev's x atk ev's x sp def ev's
Gyro ball
Stealth rock
Spikes
Rapid spin

Edit: Brave would be a much better nature
Just do a damage calc to make sure it ohko's the Latis is all
Even if it did KO Latias, there is always HP fire.

I'll try that I guess, but I don't think I'll be satisfied, having a spinner would be nice....Maybe I'll give Tentacruel a shot, since they don't usually carry Psychic moves.

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
and hp fire doesn't hit forretress? If it's at full hp a hp fire won't kill it (sturdy) a lagging tail could also work for an item, just going to throw that out their

SilentOmen

Shadow of Prophecy
and hp fire doesn't hit forretress? If it's at full hp a hp fire won't kill it (sturdy) a lagging tail could also work for an item, just going to throw that out their

If forretress' utility is to spin away hazards, Forry won't be at full HP to make sturdy effective, meaning an HP Fire will likely OHKO it.

Dragonicwari

Artistically angry
Your right, max special attack latios will Ohko max sp def max hp forretress 100% of the time, if you really need that function don't use him, (just did a damage calc)

zerocielX

Togekiss Trainer
Old Forry is nothing but set-up fodder. If you need a Rapin Spinner, Hitmontop is a viable choice. It has two great abilities and good stats to work with.

Donphan is a good choice too, but he's too predictable.

Zachmac

Old Forry is nothing but set-up fodder. If you need a Rapin Spinner, Hitmontop is a viable choice. It has two great abilities and good stats to work with.

Donphan is a good choice too, but he's too predictable.
A spinner would be nice, but I've already got wish support, so my main problem will be status. Also, I want a spinner that can handle the lati twins.

Blissy, maybe? Walls the heck out of both the latis, and can use heal bell for support. I think I'll give that one shot. They don't get over 400 HP, so they shouldn't be able to set up on it with substitute. It even has stealth rock, though I may miss the spikes.

Edit: Tested both Chansy and Blissy. Chansy worked best for me, though I'll have to out predict my enemy to avoid swapping in on trick. Updating OP.

Last edited:

Zachmac

Bumping again...

Plus, I think I need something to tank physical hits, mostly fighting type. I'm considering Skarmory or Gliscor, but I don't know who to replace. I'm considering Jirachi, but that has a much easier time healing my teammates then Chansy does. Help?

Yellow De Viridian Grove

I think Gliscor>Jirachi could world. It might open you to Lati twins, especially trick variant as Chansey will lose it'd Eviolite.
You could even try SudDisable Gengar>Jchi

Swagga09

On infernape, life orb>> expert belt. He's gonna need all the power he can get.

Zachmac

On infernape, life orb>> expert belt. He's gonna need all the power he can get.
Oh, that reminds me, I swapped expert belt for a scarf to help fend off +1 dragons.

Anyway, I usually don't like using the life orb. I don't think the recoil is worth it.
I think Gliscor>Jirachi could world. It might open you to Lati twins, especially trick variant as Chansey will lose it'd Eviolite.
You could even try SudDisable Gengar>Jchi
I like both of those pokemon, so I'll probably get around to testing those sometime tomorrow.

GoldenGengar

Gengar Forever <3
1.Gyarados@Leftovers
Ability:Intimidate Moxie
Nature:Adamant Jolly
Ev's:252Atk/4SpDef/252Spd
-Substitute Ice Fang
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge Earthquake
Earthquake and Ice Fang for type coverage.

2.Jirachi@Leftovers
Ability:Secrene Grace
Nature:Careful
EV's:252HP/226SpDef/32Spd
-Wish
-Thunderwave
-Iron Head
-U-Turn Zen Headbutt
Even though U-Turn will be good for scouting. Zen Headbutt will do you even better cause of extra flinching along with already good power+STAB.

3.Chansey@Eviolite
Ability:Natural Cure
Nature:Bold Calm
EV's:252HP/4Def/252SpDef
-Stealth Rock Softboiled
-Heal Bell Counter
-Wish Toxic
-Seismic Toss
Even though Stealth Rock would be nice cause of switching. Softboiled will be awesome for healing plus her great bulk. Counter simply cause its gonna
double the power after Chansey takes that one powerful hit. Toxic to perhaps stall a little with that and Softboiled. Perhaps to even make your
Sweepers job easier.

4.Infernape@Choice Scarf Life Orb
Ability:Blaze
Nature:Naive
EV's:128Atk/128SpAtk/252Spd
-Close Combat
-Overheat
-U-Turn
-Stone Edge
I would replace Choice Scarf with Life Orb. Simply cause of doubled power and not being locked into one move only. Other than that pretty good set.

5.Rotom(W)@Choice Scarf
Ability:Levitate
Nature:Modest Timid
EV's:4HP/252SpAtk/252Spd
-Hydro Pump
-Volt Switch/Thunderbolt
-Thunderbolt Hidden Power (Ice)/Hidden Power (Fire)
-Trick
Volt Switch if you feel like scouting and if you aren't worried about that then Thunderbolt. Go with either Hidden Power (Ice) or Hidden Power (Fire)
Im guessing your gonna go with Ice cause you already have it though.

6.Celebi@Leftovers Choice Specs
-Hidden Power (Ice) Shadow Ball
-U-Turn Psychic
-Leaf Storm
-Earth Power
I would go with Shadow Ball for more coverage and nicer base power. Then Psychic for STAB and good power along with coverage, even though scouting
can be good.

Zachmac

1.Gyarados@Leftovers
Ability:Intimidate Moxie
Nature:Adamant Jolly
Ev's:252Atk/4SpDef/252Spd
-Substitute Ice Fang
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Stone Edge Earthquake
Earthquake and Ice Fang for type coverage.

2.Jirachi@Leftovers
Ability:Secrene Grace
Nature:Careful
EV's:252HP/226SpDef/32Spd
-Wish
-Thunderwave
-Iron Head
-U-Turn Zen Headbutt
Even though U-Turn will be good for scouting. Zen Headbutt will do you even better cause of extra flinching along with already good power+STAB.

3.Chansey@Eviolite
Nature:Bold Calm
EV's:252HP/4Def/252SpDef
-Stealth Rock Softboiled
-Heal Bell Counter
-Wish Toxic
-Seismic Toss
Even though Stealth Rock would be nice cause of switching. Softboiled will be awesome for healing plus her great bulk. Counter simply cause its gonna
double the power after Chansey takes that one powerful hit. Toxic to perhaps stall a little with that and Softboiled. Perhaps to even make your
Sweepers job easier.

4.Infernape@Choice Scarf Life Orb
Ability:Blaze
Nature:Naive
EV's:128Atk/128SpAtk/252Spd
-Close Combat
-Overheat
-U-Turn
-Stone Edge
I would replace Choice Scarf with Life Orb. Simply cause of doubled power and not being locked into one move only. Other than that pretty good set.

5.Rotom(W)@Choice Scarf
Ability:Levitate
-Hydro Pump
-Volt Switch/Thunderbolt
-Thunderbolt Hidden Power (Ice)/Hidden Power (Fire)
-Trick
Volt Switch if you feel like scouting and if you aren't worried about that then Thunderbolt. Go with either Hidden Power (Ice) or Hidden Power (Fire)
Im guessing your gonna go with Ice cause you already have it though.

6.Celebi@Leftovers Choice Specs
-Hidden Power (Ice) Shadow Ball
-U-Turn Psychic
-Leaf Storm
-Earth Power
I would go with Shadow Ball for more coverage and nicer base power. Then Psychic for STAB and good power along with coverage, even though scouting
can be good.
1. You're kind of missing out on the point of the set, but I swapped it out for Salamence anyway.

2.Zen Headbutt didn't help me with anything in specific, but same as before, I swapped it out anyway.

3.You're missing the point again. I wasn't using chansy to stall my enemies out of health, it's just support.

4.I gave the Choice Scarf to my Mence, but I don't exactly like the extra damage from life orb.

5.Wait, I gave it modest? I guess that was a mistake, I'll swap to timid.

6.Psychic isn't really good coverage, but I swapped HP ice for HP fire because of HP ice's lack of use and HP fire can help me with problems with Ferrothorn. Leftovers over specs just because I like the freedom of moves on it. It can use Leaf Storm then U-turn to remove the sp.att drop, for example.

zerofield

i miss miror
Change Rotom back to modest, it really really needs the extra power, and with that scarf its fast enough. Keep volt switch on it too, scarftom really needs it. You might be able to run thunderbolt and switch, as your team seems more worried about sub DD gyarados than it does dragonite or scizor.

I reccomend using stealth rock over spikes on skarmory and running wish/protect/heal
bell/seismic toss on chansey, allowing for a much better support pokemon.

With rotom, infernape, chansey, and salamence on the team, celebi could afford to use recover instead of earth power. The only thing earth power really hits better than hp fire is heatran, and with the forementioned pokemon heatran shouldn't be the biggest problem. You could check speed tiers and find out how much speed celebi needs to outrun certain pokemon and add the rest to bulk, as celebi really appreciates the extra hp.

Don't listen to bad raters.

Zachmac

Change Rotom back to modest, it really really needs the extra power, and with that scarf its fast enough. Keep volt switch on it too, scarftom really needs it. You might be able to run thunderbolt and switch, as your team seems more worried about sub DD gyarados than it does dragonite or scizor.
I never removed Volt Switch...
I reccomend using stealth rock over spikes on skarmory and running wish/protect/heal
bell/seismic toss on chansey, allowing for a much better support pokemon.
I might try that...
With rotom, infernape, chansey, and salamence on the team, celebi could afford to use recover instead of earth power. The only thing earth power really hits better than hp fire is heatran, and with the forementioned pokemon heatran shouldn't be the biggest problem. You could check speed tiers and find out how much speed celebi needs to outrun certain pokemon and add the rest to bulk, as celebi really appreciates the extra hp.
I'll take this into consideration as well. Recover would probably mean it'd rely on Chansy less, and I just had a couple battles where it'd would of come in handy.
Don't listen to bad raters.
I didn't actually make any changes because of him, I was just stating why I wouldn't.

Except the modest vs. timid. I think timid was standard, thought I'm not completely sure why. But meh, while I'm checking the speed tiers, I may as well check that part out as well for my final decision.

Edit: Checked out speed tiers. Rotom is keeping modest as timid doesn't outrun anything notable, and celebi is down to just 32 speed EVs. I'll try out recover as well to see how it works.

Edit 2: Just found myself rain tank Dragonite weak. Giving Celebi HP ice, but keeping HP fire on rotom.

Last edited: