• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A solution to cloning!

Leebui

Questionable...
But even if they are identical surely the computer can figure out "hey, there are two pokemon exactly the same with the same id number and the same hidden values, there isn't supposed to be, this has been cloned"
a more sophisticated version of my first post should work.

There's still a small almost impossible chance that they can have the same EVs, it's possible, I've tried. However, we can keep arguing about this forever, nothing going to change either way.

The system might not work at all if Wi-Fi isn't hosted by a server, but instead just each others games emitting a signal. The system could be used as a patch, but here's the problem, they're not going to patch it via internet. This is likely as when the D/P gltches were discovered, I never saw the option of receiving the patch via Wi-Fi, if even possible. It had to be fixed at select stores or by sending it to Nintendo directly.

I'm sure Wi-Fi would be flooded by online events as much as cloned GBA Event Pokemon, also, cloning is still possible in D/P, via trading flaws. >_>

pokemistress

Real-life Gothorita
Lee You really seem to know what you're talking about, will you join my club when it gets approved?
Also cloning will be possible, absolutely, always will be... That's not really all that bad. The only thing i havea problem with is that it's inevitable that the WIFI system is going to be filled up with cloned pokemon making everything way too easy and not fun. It won't even be trading any more.
And it's unfortunate that the Id for all mews are the same but surely there's gotta be something that can distinguish them.

Leebui

Questionable...
You really seem to know what you're talking about, will you join my club when it gets approved?
Also cloning will be possible, absolutely, always will be... That's not really all that bad. The only thing i havea problem with is that it's inevitable that the WIFI system is going to be filled up with cloned pokemon making everything way too easy and not fun. It won't even be trading any more.

If you're talking about me, we'll see, just post when it gets approved here.

Well, you said yourself that it is inevitable. So I guess we'll just all have to live with it. Also, I never found trading to be exactly my cup of tea, so even with all the cloning and online events that will flood the place, battling will still be fun. Honestly, my perfect EV-bred Dodrio can kill any Mew, original or not.

If I were to join your club, wouldn't I be the only one that would support cloning, at least even moderately?

Nintendo_6444

Tails the Bouyzel
But it'll take ALL the fun out of the game. The fun in pokemon is to train your team to be able to progress through the game and then catch all the pokemon. with clones you'll be able to fill your pokedex with lvl100 everythings as soon as you can trade...
I REALLY want a mew too but i don't want one if i have to get a clone one which ruins all the fun.
Ruins the fun?! So what if its a clone, still somone went out and got the original, so, pretty much, it does not matter...

That made no sense right?

~~;444; "Right..."

pokemistress

Real-life Gothorita
No i'm fine with cloning.
What I hate is that people will clone and trade the clones.
Think about it if you can make as many mews as you like you'll give them away to anyone.
That applies to every other pokemon in the game.
It won't take long until someone makes a perfect bred dodrio just like yours and clones it and everyone will have it.
THen battling will become boring because everyone will have ridiculously good teams that they just got given from other people and the honest people who don't want to trade for level 100 perfect bred whatevers will suffer because there'll be so many cheaters who'll kick our asses.

And to nintendo 6444 how fun will it be when the first day ou get your copy of diamond or pearl you can get every pokemon in the dex the minute you plug it into wifi? It'll be awful. You'll still be able to get a mew without cloning, you'll probably just have to work harder for it.

Last edited:

Goldliop

Powerplay Champion
it won't work, because of the promos... as previously stated,
if they had put in other measures to stop against this... then maybe,
but as it stands,
wi-fi looks like it might be broken...

Jonah

herd u liek mudkips?
Personally, I'm all for cloning, and all for getting Mew's and shiny Mew's on Wi-Fi when D/P has it's English release (I've already reserved at least one of each). I don't see what the fuss is about. If you don't like it, don't go on Wi-Fi.

Then again, I'm the sort of guy who doesn't care whether the Pokemon I get in trades are legit or not (That is, my Mew and Celebi that someone traded me on Silver. I don't know for sure, but I was told that the person who had traded them to the person who traded them to me had a Gameshark and had sharked them.). Except if they're Mew's or Deoxy's in the 3rd generation (In which case they won't obey you unless they're legit). So I'm biased. But I sure hope you don't ruin Wi-Fi for me, pokemistress.

Last edited:

K-os

Bullet Punch
This could work. Even thoguh cloning is cheap, this will prevent lies about the background of the poke.

~K-os

pokemistress

Real-life Gothorita
Which reminds me...

When I was catching Dittos, they had the same exact IV's. Does it mean that they're clones, since I actually caught both Dittos?

Hmm... Maybe they're just twins ^^
But serioulsy if you don't want WiFi to be ruined by clones, no matter if you think it's possible to stop it or not, join Trainers Against Clones (it's in clubs)
Thankyou.

Wild Cherry

Magma Commander
(The official cloning thread is just full of people saying what they've cloned)

A lot of people think that the emerald cloning glitch has ruined the fourth generation because there's no way to tell between the clones and the "real" pokemon. This means that the Wi Fi trading thing will be full of Shiny Mews and everyone will have one and they won't be special and the whole wi fi trading will be flooded with clones.

I think i have a solution! (me of all people!)

Whatever hosts the trades can look at the Id numbers of pokemon, and then register who has that pokemon and if it sees two with the same Id number it can stop both/all of them from being traded by having a list of cloned pokemon. I think that would work.

The Japanese arent gonna do that.

No-one cares what people do, simply, ignore it and walk away,if you don't want to trade for a shiny mew on Wi-fi thats yourm problem not mine.

pokemistress

Real-life Gothorita
The Japanese arent gonna do that.

No-one cares what people do, simply, ignore it and walk away,if you don't want to trade for a shiny mew on Wi-fi thats yourm problem not mine.

I never said it was your problem... It's inevitable that some people will be in favour of cloning... It's an easy ride... That's why everyone loved the Rare Candy/Masterball Duplication glitch in R/B but it ruined the game because everyone had lvl100 everything's and it just wasn't fun any more. That's why they fix these problems.

Miao

Looking at the success of Netbattle I very very much doubt that clones will ruin the 4th gen.

And as for cloning for IV's/Shinies, if everyone uses a shiny, the trendy ones wont be :D However... the technical fix sounds like a good idea, but what do you do about the ones that only show up once or twice? Should the system detect those as well?

Also a more simple method would be to keep track of trainer ids, what, your id is cloning like mad? Sorry, you're banned from the network for he next month, sorry. It's a little more vicious but I wouldn't be surprised if that's the solution. Also cloning will possibly only exist for the subset of pokemon in the 3rd generation, making the new ones in the 4th a bit more tricky. Who says the dominant in demand legindaries are going to be just the old ones?

Oh and yes I'm a newb here, hi ^^;

pokemistress

Real-life Gothorita
Hello!
Well my club is approved and just waiting for members! (see sig) I do't see why they should ban people, just if it sees two of the same pokemon (ie the real one and a clone), make sure they can't be traded.
I'm not a technical person, i don't know how it works but join my club so we can talk about it and work out a cure!

xgina

Banned
If you don't like it, don't get trades over WiFi. I'm practically never going to get any events in my town due to lack of people. So naturally I don't care about cloning. But if you stop cloning, only somebody very stupid will give me one.
Ever thought that maybe people have their fun by cloning?

Miao

Hello!
Well my club is approved and just waiting for members! (see sig) I do't see why they should ban people, just if it sees two of the same pokemon (ie the real one and a clone), make sure they can't be traded.
I'm not a technical person, i don't know how it works but join my club so we can talk about it and work out a cure!

Well... I'm just starting out here, I dont want to hop in and join any clubs if that makes sense :) I want to see what nintendo does, or what they're doing already. ;038;

One nice limiter is that you can't tell what people are trading up as far as IV's and sensitive stats go, except maybe shiny status. *pokes around the forum some, since apparently this is a toasty topic*

Mmm... lovely smilies ;355;

Goldliop

Powerplay Champion
im sure you can find people who will be willing to play with teams that aren't silled with cloned mews...
and i'll post my friend code once io get dp...
just as i assume everyone else will:)

Bad Skitty

Caught em' all
personally I dont see how cloning can 'ruin wi-fi and make it not fun'

there is absoloutly no difference between the origional and the clone, except there are two of them.

if I played colosseum for 60 hours to get ho-oh normally I wouldnt swap it as I spent all the time, and possibly the money just to get the one pokemon, same with XD. with cloning, little Johnny down the road who cannot afford a gamecube and disgustingly expensive game, can have a copy of mine. now there are two happy faces instead of one. this is what I use cloning for.

I think it is more greedy to limit people to one pokemon per $60 game or hold events in one or two places in the entire world so that even though you played good money for that game, you can never ever finish it 'normally'.

I glad there is a cloning glitch. serves greedy money grabbing, selfish nintendo right. .....its the karma they perfectly deserve.

I will be offering clones of all my legit shiny pokemon, legit lugia and ho-oh and legit jirachi and celebi.