• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A solution to cloning!

^^torpedo^^

Onions? Where??
awesome idea!!!, (its a big project BTW...)

Gymmo

Hmmm, I've read the whole topic now, and you're saying that a sytem could be implented on the WFC server that looks at Pokémon with the same IV and hidden ID. That wouldn't work indeed. But what if the Diamond/Pearl card saves the Pokémon you traded from R/S/E over and doesn't allow the exact same Pokémon to be traded over? Then the massive cloning could be stopped in the 4th generation.

Last edited:

Arion

Ultimate Guitarist
Hmmm, I've read the whole topic now, and you're saying that a sytem could be implented on the WFC server that looks at Pokémon with the same IV and hidden ID. That wouldn't work indeed. But what if the Diamond/Pearl card saves the Pokémon you traded from R/S/E over and doesn't allow the exact same Pokémon to be traded over? Then the massive cloning could be stopped in the 4th generation.

I concur, but that would really restrict freedom of players and there is a possibility of catching the same exact pokemon in the wild and you wouldn't be able to trade it.

Gymmo

I concur, but that would really restrict freedom of players and there is a possibility of catching the same exact pokemon in the wild and you wouldn't be able to trade it.

Freedom is already restricted, by the pal park. Also, catching the exact same Pokémon and trading it over, then you must catch a Pokémon with

- The exact same ID
- The exact same hidden ID
- The exact same IV

The chance that that would happen is smaller than that Diamond/Pearl is cancelled fur US and Europe. And if you are the one one earth that has managed to did it, then you can always transfer to another D/P and trade it back from that cartridge.

Darkfall

Abuses SHIFT + ENTER
But it'll take ALL the fun out of the game. The fun in pokemon is to train your team to be able to progress through the game and then catch all the pokemon. with clones you'll be able to fill your pokedex with lvl100 everythings as soon as you can trade...
I REALLY want a mew too but i don't want one if i have to get a clone one which ruins all the fun.

As long as it's a clone Mew thats a low level I don't particularily care. Unless Nintendo plan on some online events, it'll be the only way I can get one that doesn't involve certain cheat devices which shall remain otherwise uninvolved in this discussion.
Since I am against said devices, and there are no events in my area anytime soon, I would need to get a Mew online, cloned or otherwise.
Now, I understand and agree that if Shiny Mew/Celebi/Jirachi/Deoxys/Lugia/Ho-oh etc etc began to be spread through the online world, then yes, a few peopel would use them and life would get tedious.... however cloning is only a problem if people let it become one, so the problem is'nt cloning itself, but the people who do it for certain reasons.
Besides, I don't care for Mew or any of the event pokemon enough to go to America or Japan just to get one, it's a small bit of data that I could get online without spending any money aside from any possible onlines costs and the price of the DS.
So, although I dislike it, the easiest and probebly only way for me to complete my dex 100%, is to get my hands on a Mew and other pokemon like it, is online, most of which will probebly be clones.
I never said I liked or agreed with cloning, but if it's there, might as well get the benefits.

Arion

Ultimate Guitarist
Freedom is already restricted, by the pal park. Also, catching the exact same Pokémon and trading it over, then you must catch a Pokémon with

- The exact same ID
- The exact same IV

The chance that that would happen is smaller than that Diamond/Pearl is cancelled fur US and Europe. And if you are the one one earth that has managed to did it, then you can always transfer to another D/P and trade it back from that cartridge.

Good point, but I doubt nintendo will do a thing about it unless there is some sort of suggestion using power of numbers to let them know that this could be a problem to some people, and that it might even cause some people to boycott nintendo or wifi, but i think nintendo wouldn't care for the wifi part. :club:

Leebui

Questionable...

- The exact same ID
- The exact same IV

The chances of getting the same ID and secret ID are guaranteed as long as you caught the two Pokemon in the same game. All your Pokemon that you own on your game have the same Trainer ID and secret ID to identify that they are yours. So the only thing you really need to match us is the IVs. Also, I said before, Nintendo won't make that kind of system because even though it's a small chance, it STILL CAN HAPPEN. There's no foolproof way to remedy it without some mess up somewhere down the road.

Arion

Ultimate Guitarist
Well I think ultimately it will just come down to people against cloning not trading or sometimes not using wifi at all the way some people are diehard radical about clones, and cloning. If the radicals that are totally against cloning and want nothing to do with it when it comes down to it they probably won't be able to use wifi to its full potential, and if they do they would constantly be looking and checking out the past and talking to people about person that they want to trade with before they trade with them. I think that the general public should not be afraid of cloning i think that sharked and ARed pokemon will be the problem.

POKErUsAm

Macho man!
Meh :/

If I trade to someone who has a cloned pokemon, I don't care really. I mean, I don't clone and I am not the one cheating so...

green dragonite17

Agent under fire fan
i think you can check the Area it was Caught if it was Traded by a Trainer then it'll Say Somewhere Far away also the Ot/Trainer will tell you too.

Navneet

**Legendary Maven**
(blah) << cloning

ok....no iffence or anything but i think cloning is the most ga.... thing ever ....i would never do that to my precious games .......i hate evrybody that clones

Pokemonger49777

IT'S ASHER JESUS!!!
Does anybody besides me think that nintendo will take the glitch out of the new copies?

Darkfall

Abuses SHIFT + ENTER
Does anybody besides me think that nintendo will take the glitch out of the new copies?

I doubt it myself.
It's already there so why spend extra money altering the cratridge and stuff? Just keep pumping em out... anyone who really wants to clone would find an earlier copy anyways so...

super groudon

Master Of Shadows
well heres what i think:
i don't think your system will work,
people get past them,
not only that if you clone then it is the exact copy as the original,
so what's the problem???
personally i don't understand,
the only thing you should be concerned with is hacked pokemon....

Darkfall

Abuses SHIFT + ENTER
well heres what i think:
i don't think your system will work,
people get past them,
not only that if you clone then it is the exact copy as the original,
so what's the problem???
personally i don't understand,
the only thing you should be concerned with is hacked pokemon....

Allow me to explain:
The Problem with Cloning.

Ok, everyone knows a shiny pokemon is rare, special even. Now, say one person was lucky enough to find a Shiny Mew. That Mew would be exceptionally special, even more coveted, a lot rarer then any other Mew and almost any other pokemon.
So, a shiny Mew is a pretty rare thing, you don't see them everyday...
Now, if that person cloned their shiny Mew, it'd be less special... the more they clone it the less special it becomes...
Now, pretend this person has made 100 clones of the Mew and is trading them over WiFi...
All of a sudden, (almost) EVERYONE has a shiny Mew... which makes the shiny Mew have a special percentage of 0%.
Cloning would make the rarer pokemon, shiny or otherwise, redundant, if you wanted, you could probebly gt yourhands on any shiny pokemon you want, as well as a million other people.
So, if everyone on wifi had a shiny Mew, don't ya think it'd be dull? If EVERYONE had a Shiny Mew, don't ya think the Shiny Mew would no longer be such an amazing thing to see?
The experience of seeing a shiny anything would be totally lost... it's like when you tell a young child Santa isn't real, then the magic of Christmas goes away, see what i'm getting at?
That's my anology, take it or leave it but I think that just about sums up the evils of cloning...
It's like...Shiny Pokemon Hyper Inflation, as the number of shiny Mews goes up, the value of them goes down.

Darkfall

Abuses SHIFT + ENTER
why is everybody against cloning...?

Not everyone is against cloning.
Most of the people in this thread will be against it though, considering the nature of the thread.
If you look at the Cloning Good or Bad style threads you will see there is a decent protion of Serebii.net users that clone etc.

Pokemonger49777

IT'S ASHER JESUS!!!
Don't be hatin' against cloning. It's not always bad or good. I mean cloning your huntail if your friend has a gorebyss, okay. Cloning your shiny wurmple a thousand times to have loads of shinies, just plain gay.

juggernaut911

Awesome OOBER n00b
(The official cloning thread is just full of people saying what they've cloned)

A lot of people think that the emerald cloning glitch has ruined the fourth generation because there's no way to tell between the clones and the "real" pokemon. This means that the Wi Fi trading thing will be full of Shiny Mews and everyone will have one and they won't be special and the whole wi fi trading will be flooded with clones.

I think i have a solution! (me of all people!)

Whatever hosts the trades can look at the Id numbers of pokemon, and then register who has that pokemon and if it sees two with the same Id number it can stop both/all of them from being traded by having a list of cloned pokemon. I think that would work.

u could legally have 2 mews!!! how would it know their legal???