• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A somewhat important debate

Murton

Once you were lost.
It's not about Christ. The early christians stole the holiday from the pagans to help ease the transition.
In fact, celebrating birthdays is a pagan custom.

Aren't you thinking of Easter right now?

Cometstarlight

What do I do now?
Both. If you think you have any original holidays, have I got bad news for you.

Dude, you're way off subject right now. It's not about holidays

Megaton666

Swampert Trainer
Dude, you're way off subject right now. It's not about holidays

I didn't change it deliberately, it happened naturally. Are you sure you're not just asking me to stop because you're offended? Because that could happen.

Lulu_used_SunnyDay

Petal Blizzard
Well it's pretty bad if you're either trying to shove it down someone's throat or if you're making your belief your own standpoint in a debate (things such as " I think this is wrong because I love god and if you don't respect this you'll all burn in hell").

But if you're simply saying you're religious, like somebody can say what's their fav ice cream, then it's fine XD

Dragon Trainer X

良い感じ!
thank you all for your advice. i totally agree, there is nothing wrong with simply saying that you love your own God. im not going to reply to that comment the anonymous person sent me. there is no point

Good for you. As a Christian, walking away from a fight shows that you are meek, which is a good thing. You're strong in spirit, and that's how the Kingdom of God will be yours.

I do not mind one bit about others openly stating that they are a certain religion, as long as it doesn't get out of hand. Don't worry, I have a long tolerance for all kinds of stuff (I get it from my sister. I have the patience of a saint at this point, no joking). Frankly, in my perspective, I will not go as far as to say that God is real, but I won't deny that He is either. I'm sort of in between, and I ponder over it instead of immediately diving into being a Christian, you know what I mean? My dad says that it's good that I'm questioning my religious beliefs. Anyone else think so too?

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Good for you. As a Christian, walking away from a fight shows that you are meek, which is a good thing. You're strong in spirit, and that's how the Kingdom of God will be yours.

I do not mind one bit about others openly stating that they are a certain religion, as long as it doesn't get out of hand. Don't worry, I have a long tolerance for all kinds of stuff (I get it from my sister. I have the patience of a saint at this point, no joking). Frankly, in my perspective, I will not go as far as to say that God is real, but I won't deny that He is either. I'm sort of in between, and I ponder over it instead of immediately diving into being a Christian, you know what I mean? My dad says that it's good that I'm questioning my religious beliefs. Anyone else think so too?

I agree with you; I do think it's beneficial to question your beliefs and find out what's really right for you as opposed to just going along with whatever society/your parents/your friends throw at you. I also respect your neutral perspective toward the existence of God, because I'm the exact same way. I don't necessarily believe in any sort of deity, but I certainly won't rule out the possibility.

The thing that gets me is when people try to force-feed someone their beliefs or when people insult others for having faith. For the first point, it's wrong to do so because people should be allowed to believe whatever they feel is right, and by telling them what to believe, you are impeding their own spiritual growth AND disrespecting their individuality. For the second point, I think it's stupid for people to argue over religion or whether or not God is real. In the end, does it really matter who's right and who's wrong? You should believe what you want to believe, regardless of whether or not it can be proven true or even if it makes sense, because the point of a religion is to have faith in something, not to belittle or fault somebody else wrong for not believing the same things that you do. It doesn't really matter if God/Ra/Odin/Marduk/Arceus exists or not, what matters is that your convictions were strong enough to withstand doubt and that you (hopefully) found, in light of that, self-meaning.

sanae

stop trying to be god ☆
wait. you said this is "an important debate", but then you tell us not to argue.

isn't that redundant?

Profesco

gone gently
Just posting to say I moved this into Debates today, so any posts before this one that aren't up to the "Debate standard" have a reprieve. Posts after this, though, ought to aim to be more than completely useless.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I would first like to bring up a translated Pokedex entry for Reshiram courtesy of Pokebeach.

Reshiram entry from Pokebeach said:
Reshiram: A legendary Pokemon that can burn the world to ash with flame. It will help a person construct a world of truth.
I bolded something interesting. Why are we constructing a world of truth when the truth already exists?

Well, this argument came from Pokemon (let's not lie, it's not truthful), and Pokemon came from Japan. Japan is predominantly Shinto and Buddhist, so let us look at the four noble truths of Buddhism. Though Buddhism is a religion, let us take its secular purpose.

1. Suffering is inevitable.
2. Suffering comes from desire.
3. There is a cure for suffering.
4. One needs to follow "The Noble Eightfold Way" to cure suffering.

Now the last bit may sound like an ideal for people, but lets not forget that we're talking about two side of the same coin, and that this is supposed to go into a more structured lifestyle that goes beyond what we normally see in front of us.

wikipedia since I'm lazy said:
Prajñā is the wisdom that purifies the mind, allowing it to attain spiritual insight into the true nature of all things. It includes:

dṛṣṭi (ditthi): viewing reality as it is, not just as it appears to be;
saṃkalpa (sankappa): intention of renunciation, freedom and harmlessness.

Śīla is the ethics or morality, or abstention from unwholesome deeds. It includes:

vāc (vāca): speaking in a truthful and non-hurtful way;
karman (kammanta): acting in a non-harmful way;
ājīvana (ājīva): a non-harmful livelihood.

Samādhi is the mental discipline required to develop mastery over one's own mind. This is done through the practice of various contemplative and meditative practices, and includes:

vyāyāma (vāyāma): making an effort to improve;
smṛti (sati): awareness to see things for what they are with clear consciousness, being aware of the present reality within oneself, without any craving or aversion;
samādhi (samādhi): correct meditation or concentration, explained as the first four jhānas.

According to the secular purpose of Buddhism, we should practice these things to break free from a world of suffering, and more into a world of truth. Truth is not only validity, but it is also seeing beyond what we see as one person.

The moral of the story is that we should look beyond ourselves for truth, but we all have ideals that are inside of us that would make things turn toward our favor. Let's hold both sides of that coin. Use the right mindset to see beyond us for truth, but hold our hopes and ideas sacred for ideals.

And no, I'm not really a Buddhist.

Malanu

Est sularus oth mith
Is it rude to say that you love God?
After all Christans, like me, are very devoted to God.
Someone keeps telling me that its rude to say that you love God Just because some other religions dont belive in God

What should i reply back? Do YOU think that its bad to say you love God?

I'm late to this one.
1) You have every right to proclaim your love of god. BUT you do need to also respect the beliefs of others. That you love god is (to me) no more than me saying I love my wife. I do however say it a bit much for some folks. It's sad that people feel that way. I'm an Atheist, but I have no problem with someone with your level of commitment. It would get tiresome hearing it over and over (as is said to me in my situation).

2) Those people love their religion/Diety/dog whatever in their way and some folks don't have a stomach for that level of dedication.

3) Finally it also depends on how you go about saying that you love god.

So it could be you, but more likely it's the people/person having an issue themselves that they don't like to look at in a mirror.

It depends. If you're at your church saying you love God and everyone there obviously agree, then yes it's fine.

If you're walking down the street screaming "I love God", then no you're not right. Because I sure as hell don't walk down streets screaming "Religion sucks, there's no God."
It's rude to say certain things that will possibly offend others. Though I don't say my sentence mostly for the fact that there are too many insane religious people who will kill others just for having another belief. Crazy. This is a main reason why I find religion overly insane.

It's cool, you love God, you believe in something. I'm fine with that. But when you're talking to someone and you don't know what their beliefs are and saying crap like "I love God, he's awesome, he does everything. You better love God too". Then yes, there's nothing more rude than someone trying to shove opinions down other people's throats.

Last edited:

pikadon92

Raiden Maximus
It doesn't matter if it's correct to say so or not. The very least I know is God loves me.

Last edited:

Celestial Moth

Guardian of the Tree of Time
I don't think its offensive to say you love god at all, because the very people that might see and or hear this are already thinking negative things towards your positive behavior.
Love is never negative no matter the situation, it can only be considered negative because of a lack of understand in which love basically is.
If you understand everything then you can not hate it, thus you often do love everything if you understand everything.
This is one of the reasons people believe in their heart that god loves them because "it" does and we understand that.

MissDigitalis

love at first sting
Hmm... my first thought was "no but it's silly to love something imaginary" but when I think more about it, I think it is a bad thing.

Why would you love the Christian god? It's clearly not "omnibenevolent" as it claims to be. Think about how the Christian god orders the death of women children and homosexuals.
Saying you love such a monster is kind of bad taste.

Zevn

Lost in Translation
Is it rude to say that you love God?
After all Christans, like me, are very devoted to God.
Someone keeps telling me that its rude to say that you love God Just because some other religions dont belive in God

What should i reply back? Do YOU think that its bad to say you love God?

Context, and situation obviously apply to whether or not it's rude to say. In this context if I were to simply say; "Well, I love unicorns, and I am very devoted to them" with no explanation it would be very pointed and rude.

I do though, and I am.

People give lots of different names to their spirituality.

Why would you love the Christian god? It's clearly not "omnibenevolent" as it claims to be. Think about how the Christian god orders the death of women children and homosexuals.

I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent.

*cough*

Stop breaking divine law MsDigitalis.

*coughing fit*

I want to give you a hug.

Love is never negative no matter the situation.

I call bullhonky. There are tons of situations where love is bad.

-Loving to rape
-Loving to murder
-^plenty in this vein
-Loving an abusive mate
-Loving an abusive parent
-^more like this too
-Loving yourself too much (unhealthy)
-Loving someone else too much (unhealthy)

*sigh*

-Loving a non-existent, violent, vengeful, rapacious, petty, hypocritical, aloof deity to the extent that it gives you excuses to neglect your fellow man.

Scientific American: Religious Experiences Shrink Part of the Brain

Last edited:

Kingsley

do my dance
I don't think there's anything wrong with saying you love God, but shoving religion in someone's face is rude.

It's slightly annoying if you bring it up out of nowhere, yes. But if it's just in your sig or in a place it wouldn't be annoying, then yeah, it's fine.

Cipher

Nothing to be done
Not in nearly as bad taste as this post.