• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Song of Ice and Fire/A Game of Thrones

Waterpokes

This week's episode was pretty meh. For sure the worst episode of the season so far.

+ Bolton/Jamie/Brienne scene was good.
+/- Cat/Robb/Freys scene was good. I know what happens to them, since I've read the books, but they have really dumbed down the impact of the Red Wedding. RW doesn't only kill off Robb and Cat, it kills off Grey Wind and several of Robb's soldiers. As of right now, the only ones who will die are Robb and Cat. No Greatjon, no other Umbers/Mormonts and little impact of Grey Wind will make RW underwhelming. And RW is one of the biggest events in the book! They have for sure underused Robb/Cat this season.
+ Varys/Littlefinger scene. They've talked about Littlefinger being dangerous, without showing him being dangerous. This scene however made Littlefinger dangerous again. Him "killing" Ros was great and his "Climb" speech was good.
+/- Ramsay/Theon torture scene was good (not in that way). Viewers get to see how Ramsay breaks Theon down. I do wish that Theon/Ramsay scenes were less shown. Theon is going to be there for a long time, and after a while, it will just turn gruesome instead of adding anything to the story. It is already terrible right now, but it does give info to the audience.
- Osha/Meera arguing? Guess they need to give Bran some airtime, but really? I personally find Bran's story to be very bland, but them fighting over rabbits? Really?
- Too much King's Landing. They are really pushing Tyrion into every goddamn episode, which is stupid. I know he has a lot of content, but do they have to show Tyrion every goddamn episode? Sometimes I feel they just make up some Tyrion scenes in each episode just for the sake of it. Tyrion/Shae & Tyrion/Podrick being examples of that.

This week's episode was rubbish.

Please stop ruining Baelish's character. Please.

ebevan91

I thought it was an OK episode. Probably the weakest of the season, but it moved plots along.

I do agree about
Robb's bannermen being absent. I made a little remark in my head about Ramsay's little "Do I look like a ****ing Umber?" or whatever... I said to myself "well we really haven't SEEN any Umbers at all so I don't blame him."

ebevan91

The 2 week wait for episode 9 is going to be hard.

Especially when you know what's going to happen.

Waterpokes

The 2 week wait for episode 9 is going to be hard.

Especially when you know what's going to happen.

Hopefully the Jon and Daenerys content in Episode 9 won't overshadow the real meat of the episode.

I do hope they keep making the show like they did with Episode 8. Not too many characters, focusing on a select few (King's Landing/Daenerys/Arya/Sam). This episode was much better then the previous two. Less jumping around different characters and overall better pacing.

And just read A Clash Of Kings this weekend. Made me really appreciate Catelyn.

ebevan91

Yes I absolutely enjoyed the tighter focused episode 8.

Episode 9 should be the same according to the preview.

ebevan91

So... what do you guys think?

Waterpokes

So... what do you guys think?

Man, that was gruesome. I've now read the books, but I was still in shock after watching it. Got goosebumps when "The Rains Of Castamere" started playing and when Catelyn saw Roose Bolton having armour on. That was when things hit the fan for me.

I wish we got to see more loyal Stark bannermen. Would have loved to see Umbers, Mormonts and Manderlys, even though I do believe a Manderly was present at the wedding. I wish they made a bigger deal out of it, considering Manderlys will have a huge presence in the later books.

ILK~CMP

Neo Redux
I absolutely loved it. Watching it with friends (of whom only some had read the books), not many knew/appreciate the significance of "Rains of Castamere." A few buddies and I recorded the rest of them just to see their reaction...man, it was fantastic! Having known the Red Wedding was coming though, my heart was racing all throughout the wedding scenes.

I know some fan's were complaining about the change in Bolton's line when he stabs Robb (from "Jaime Lannister sends his regards," to "The Lannisters send their regards"). I was fine with it, to be honest, as keeping it "Jaime..." would imply to casual fans/non-readers that Jaime had something to do with the RW. Plus, it would ruin Jaime's redemption arc.

Though Catelyn's final moments was slightly changed, I think the silence was a wonderful decision...truly a powerful moment. Props to Michelle Fairley!

Grey Wind

I wish we got to see more loyal Stark bannermen. Would have loved to see Umbers, Mormonts and Manderlys, even though I do believe a Manderly was present at the wedding. I wish they made a bigger deal out of it, considering Manderlys will have a huge presence in the later books.
I agree. I think the reason they killed off Talisa/Jeyne was to give it more of an impact though, because we hadn't really seen much of the bannermen in the show compared to the books.

Though Catelyn's final moments was slightly changed, I think the silence was a wonderful decision...truly a powerful moment. Props to Michelle Fairley!
I did enjoy how it played out, but I kind of wish that they had shown more of Catelyn's hysterics. The "Don't cut my hair, Ned loves my hair" line really got me when I was reading the scene. Agreed on Fairley though, her acting was wonderful.

Looking forward to Joffrey's death now (whenever that is).

ebevan91

My money is on season 4 episode 2 for that since George is writing that episode himself.

Grovyl

Who dun dug diglett?
I'm currently in the middle of Book 5, but I've been keeping up with the seasons.

House Stark of course.

Bokk

The finale was fantastic.

The Red Wedding is a tough act to follow, but I felt this episode had some great moments:

Arya killing one of the Frey soldiers. I'm glad they were able to fit that in this season. In the books, she first kills a guard while escaping Harrenhal. I thought it was funny how the Hound, instead of forbidding Arya from killing someone again, simply tells her to warn him next time.

I'm pleased to see Bran's story line picking up the pace. While I like the Reeds, his story has been way to slow.

The scene between Jon and Ygritte. I think Rose Leslie is a superb actress, and her performance didn't disappoint.

Some concerns/complaints:

I'm sick of the gratuitous torture scenes. I look forward to the end of them.

I hope we see Coldhands in the future. I understand that not every character can be included, but I think he should be in the show.

Waterpokes

This episode was actually not that good. The best part about the episodes were the Arya/Hound/Frey scenes, both of them. Grey Wind's head on Robb was pretty brutal, and makes me hate the Freys even more. Otherwise, it was very lackluster.

I can't wait for Shae to die next season. I didn't like her in the books, and I dislike her even more now. I hate the fact that she even got an own scene for herself. I'm afraid they'll have someone else then Tyrion kill Shae next season. I hate the fact that they spent so much time in King's Landing this season, with silly filler scenes like Tyrion/Shae, Tyrion/Cersei, Pod/*****s. For everyone who has read the books, we all know King's Landing is the place to be at next season. They could have put more time and effort into Robb/Cat instead. I mean, Cat was barely in this season, and it should have been their season. They really dropped the ball there.

And the Daenerys scene was cringeworthy. Really? They could have ended the season with the wildings marching on the wall/Castle Black, or have Stannis & crew going North. Instead they gave us a Daenerys scene which was really bleh.

Overall, I would say Season 3 was better then Season 2, but not better then Season 1.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Big fan of the show, but got a ways to catch up since I don't have HBO right now :(. Will be getting it again via a 3 day free preview though (hopefully)... so I'll be doing my best to catch up on it show wise.

SimH8

I really hope Stannis and the Brotherhood give the Boltons and Freys justice. What they did to my favourite character was disgusting.

ebevan91

Finished ADWD last week. Several things are left hanging, so I hope The Winds of Winter is out next year as expected.

It seems like every damn POV ended on a major cliffhanger, then you have the POVs from AFfC that weren't addressed in ADwD either.

Aegon

I watched the first episode yesterday and enjoyed it immensely, so I ordered the Season 1-2 box-set this morning. I do plan on reading the books in the future.