• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A (sort of) Hyper Offense Team

So I've been using this team on PO for a while now and it seems to win a few more battles than it loses but I'd like it to be better. So I decided to come here and pick your brains a bit. This team started as a Hyper Offense team but then it turned into a mixed team. Its still mostly offensive but I lost my screener (for the most part) and I use both offensive types. So anyway, here's the team.

Lead
482.png

Azelf (Focus Sash)
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
EVs: 252 Spe, 252 SpA, 4 HP
Moves: Psyshock
Flamethrower
Light Screen
Explosion

I had a dedicated dual screener here but it seemed a wasted slot on my team, so I decided to have an attacker with slight screen support. I chose Azelf because of his great offensive stats and his mixed move pool. Psyshock is to do a little pysical damage without investing EVs in attack. Flamethrower seems to hurt most of the leads I've been running into for at least neutral damage. This set is useless against Tyranitar but I haven't run into one yet. Explosion is so that I can go out with a bang and Light Screen sets up Dragonite against Ice Beams. I went with Focus Sash over Light Clay because Dragonite is normally my second guy out so he didn't need the extension.

Physical Sweeper #1
149.png

Dragonite (Yache Berry)
Ability: Multiscale
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, - SpA)
EVs: 252 Spe, 252 Atk, 4 HP
Moves: Dragon Dance
Outrage
Return
Waterfall

Dragonite is one of my new (again) favorite pokemon. Multiscale combined with Yache Berry means that at full health Dragonite takes neutral damage from an Ice type attack. Factor in the Light Screen (Ice Beam seems to be the most prominent Ice attack I run into) and its almost a resistence. That gives him an excellent turn for set up. One Dragon Dance and then he's ready to sweep. His move set has changed a lot and I can't decide even now what I want on him but this is what he has right now. I tend to run Outrage over Dragon Claw. At one point it was Dragon Tail when Azelf was running Stealth Rock but it didn't do well. Return is an amazing move and I've come to love it. It hits everything hard except Steels and Rocks and even then the boost makes a dent. The last slot has changed a lot. its Waterfall now to deal with Rock types and Heatran pluss it hits most Steels pretty hard after the boost.

Physical Sweeper #2
534.png

Conkeldurr (Flame Orb)
Ability: Guts
Nature: Adamant (+Atk, -SpA)
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 HP, 4 SpD
Moves: Bulk Up
Mach Punch
Payback
Stone Edge

Conkeldurr is one of the guys that I'm liking a lot this gen. I have always been a Machamp man, but I gave him a try and he's a monster. This guy, like Machamp, is not going to be outspeeding anyone anytime soon so his nature and EV spread reflect that. I dumped a lot into HP to give him some more bulk since I do use a turn to set up with Bulk Up. A boosted Mach Punch from his gigantic attack will do serious damage to all except Psychics and Ghosts. That's why I have Payback. Stone Egde is the last move, and it was Earthquake, but Stone Edge lets me take down both Chansey/Blissey and Skarmory.

Physical Sweeper #3
466.png

Electivire (Expert Belt)
Ability: Motor Drive
Nature: Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
EVs: 252 Spe, 252 Atk, 4 HP
Moves: Thunderpunch / Wild Charge
Fire Punch
Cross Chop
Earthquake

Electivire was meant to be the Electric cover for Gyarados, but Gyarados got cut and Electivire stuck around. I think He's a great sweeper though he does require a little help to do it effectively. Basicly I switch him in on an Electric attack. Motor Drive absorbs the damage and increases his speed on stage and it sets him up to sweep right away which most guys can't do. Thunderpunch used to be my main STAB but I've run Wild Charge a few times and I like the difference in damage. The recoil is the only thing that makes me run back to Thunderpunch. I run Fire Punch instead of Ice Punch because I only have one other Fire move on the team. Earthquake is to take out other Electrics and Cross Chop makes for great coverage.

Special Sweeper #1
65.png

Alakazam (Life Orb)
Ability: Magic Guard
Moves: Focus Blast
Psychic / Psyshock
Grass Knot
Shadow Ball

Though frail, Alakazam is a very effective sweeper. He is another of my sweepers that requires no set up turn to sweep. His blaznig speed and high special attack make him a great revenge killer from time to time. With Magic Guard, Life Orb causes no damage and still gives the boost plus I take no damage from hazards giving me more of a chance to survive a hit or two. Focus Blast wrecks Dark types, Shadow Ball wrecks Ghosts and other Psychics, and Grass Knot takes out most bulky Waters and slow Rock and Ground types like Hippowdon. The last slot is a toss up. Doing physical damage comes in handy from time to time but I usually run Psychic for that little bit extra.

Special Sweeper #2
121.png

Starmie (Wise Glasses)
Ability: Natural Cure
Moves: Rapid Spin
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Surf / Hydro Pump
Starmie is another favorite of mine. Quick, powerful, able to spin away hazards, and a great move pool. I gave him the EV spread of a sweeper but gave him Rapid Spin to clear away anything that is harming my team. BoltBeam is a given. It covers a lot of threats. Surf or Hydro Pump is for STAB and the need of another water move on the team. I like Hydro Pump but I usually run Surf beacause Hydro Pump just misses too much. I used to run Recover but I don't think I will anymore. I like hitting and not letting my opponent have time to breathe.

So there it is. Like I said, it does pretty good but i think it can be better. So fire away. Any suggestions will be appreciated and considered. Thank you.

Last edited:

complete legitimacy

pack that fudge
I don't think you grasp the basics of HO. First, keep the Dual Screener. Deoxys-S is better than Azelf. Secondly, mixed teams may do well against unprepared teams, but generally you must go either all physical or all special. Even if you go special, Alakazam has got to go. Dragonite should be replaced with Salamence. Electivire has got to go. Never use Wise Glasses. And get Drain Punch on Conkeldurr. It shows how inexperienced you are with using this team when you say you haven't run into a Tyranitar lead yet. It's in one of the top five in usage (about every one in five teams), and it's sent out first 95% of the time.

I'm actually not that inexperienced and I've battled with this team on Pokemon Online for the last 3 days in at least 40 battles and haven't even seen a Tyranitar. And I did say that this team started as Hyper Offense and that I changed it. All of the things you suggested I covered in the first paragraph if you had read it.

As for your suggestions, you didn't offer any alternatives to what you say has to go. I've tried Drain Punch on Conkeldurr but Mach Punch seems to help me out more in the revenge killing area. What do you suggest I use in place of Wise Glasses?

I'm sorry if I seem pissy but you just tore me and my team down without trying at all to understand it or help me in any way. Thank you for what little you did suggest though.

complete legitimacy

pack that fudge
Well either you run a HO team, or you don't. There's not much in between. Use a Life Orb instead of Wise Glasses. If you run mixed, you are now walled by both Skarm and Bliss, instead of just Skarm or just Bliss. Once one is gone, the others can have a party on the other one. And for replacement pokes, look for ones that are actually good.

Life Orb sounds good I just wasn't sure where to put it so I guess I'll try it on Starmie. Skarmory hasn't been a problem for me yet but every other Blissey/Chansey I run into gives me some trouble. Honestly I haven't seen many teams using both of them this gen. Ferrothorn is very common but I haven't had any trouble with him.