• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A special "winter arc" has been announced for the anime

Gamzee Makara

Flirtin' With Disaster
Yeah....

I'm gonna wait for more concrete information before panicking &/or judging anything.

I think everybody who is leading the freakout charge is having their Gen IV-related hangups & Goh Derangement Syndrome get in the way of sound judgement.

Remix2

Yeah....

I'm gonna wait for more concrete information before panicking &/or judging anything.

I think everybody who is leading the freakout charge is having their Gen IV-related hangups & Goh Derangement Syndrome get in the way of sound judgement.
Or people rather be cautious before being hype right now since the last major arc(the darkest day arc)wasn’t that good.

BlueDragonfangirl

Bleh i haven't enjoyed a single special of this series, if Dawn returns and actually does things with Ash this time I might be interested. So far I've been dissapointed.

santiagus

I watched Pokemon anime for 20 freaking years
I love how we know what will happen at the end of the year and we have no idea of what will happen next month.

TheLink

Eunie is as Eunie does.
If the winter arc is the same quality as the recent two-parter then I don’t have super high hopes for it. I didn’t hate it and it gave some decent development for Chloe but as far as a special featuring a returning character it was very lackluster.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
If the winter arc is the same quality as the recent two-parter then I don’t have super high hopes for it. I didn’t hate it and it gave some decent development for Chloe but as far as a special featuring a returning character it was very lackluster.
I don't think it was lackluster for a returning character but rather lackluster for the returning character and Ash's bond. I still like how they utilized Dawn for Chloe tbh

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
I don't think it was lackluster for a returning character but rather lackluster for the returning character and Ash's bond. I still like how they utilized Dawn for Chloe tbh
That two-parter could have used another episode to help round things out a little better.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
It was lackluster because of the backbone plotline. You can substitute almost any other character (even a CotD, though this would be a bit more make believe), bend the writing to mold to Chloe, and nothing much changes. It doesn't help that the said plotline is self-resolving and didn't matter much ultimately.

This arc would have been better if it had more tie-ins with Contests that never happened.
Yes it would have changed, this episode won't be as impactful if it WASNT dawn, this episode works well because of how we already know Dawn and her establishment. It didn't need more tie ins with contest to execute what it already had
Or it could have made Ash and Dawn meet much earlier rather than the last half of the second episode.
Nope, this arc wasn't about Ash and Dawn at all, it's focus was on Chloe and Dawn, with Ash as an added bonus in the end

TheLink

Eunie is as Eunie does.
Nope, this arc wasn't about Ash and Dawn at all, it's focus was on Chloe and Dawn, with Ash as an added bonus in the end

I understand your point, but isn’t a good reason why most folks want older characters to return is to see them interact with Ash? I’m kind of repeating this from a different post, but using older characters to develop the new ones isn’t bad in theory, but if they don’t interact with Ash in a meaningful way then part of the return feels wasted. Especially if said returning character was an active traveling companion.

The development Chloe got from the special may end up being great - if it sticks and actually leads to a coherent character arc.

masdog

Or it could have made Ash and Dawn meet much earlier rather than the last half of the second episode.
Besides fan service, how does that help tell the story they were trying to tell, which was focused on Chloe/Koharu?

masdog

Ash could have added his two cents about his experiences with Dawn to further add to Chloe's development and doing so let Chloe know that he's not a reckless idiot...at times.
Which would be instantly undercut by Dawn talking about all the times he was a reckless idiot while traveling through Sinnoh.

Everything doesn’t need to revolve around Ash, and it was a stronger story because Ash wasn’t there for those Dawn/Koharu moments.

Ultra Beast Lover

My main problem with the companions showing up is that I dunno if it's simply an attempt at fan pandering or the staff finally realized that they were sitting on a goldmine of storytelling potential. If it's the former then I'm annoyed that they aren't letting all of them interact with Ash as much because, aside from the Alola gang, it's been a long time since they've traveled together. If it's the latter then 1. what took so long and 2. I'm still annoyed because I don't know if it'll last past this saga so this could be our last chance to see Ash with the other companions for a while.

I don't know if it's fan pandering because, while they certainly hype the appearances, it doesn't seem as though they're milking it. Heck, when this series began we didn't know if there would be any past companions, and I feel like the staff would have advertised this as a feature of the saga. And honestly, aside from the continuity, the old characters do seem to kinda act like COTDs which I don't think the staff would normally do if they were just there for the fans. I mean, look at Iris, you could take out the continuity nods and replace her with a generic powerful trainer and get the same result.

Yet, perhaps you could argue that this is technically fan pandering since, due to the fact that you could replace Dawn, Iris, Korina, and possibly Gary with COTDs, then there's no point to it other than to get the older viewers to watch but then... why not do this earlier?

I suppose we could ask the staff but they're not going to outright tell us that it's fan pandering.

Really hope this is Legends Arceus stuff