• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Stand-Up Sit-Down! (509)

KGB13

Man of Mystery
I think this episode was great. I liked all the battles and TR NOT trying to steal Pikachu or getting blasted off somewhere.

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
It was an okay episode, it was nice to see Zoey. It's a shame Dawn lost even thought Zoey had given her tips. (But it was her first few double battles before).
If Shellos has the ability Storm Drain I wonder how Glameow managed to use Shock Wave while it was standing next to it.

wind21

I actually feel more ill today than I felt yesterday. Go figure.

It's a little bit of a frustrating time to try to review episodes, since there's a predominant sense of "been there, done that" on this site right now. I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to say that predictions are that Ash will lose to the trainer who's appearing specifically for the league (and one does show up), there will be some excuse for Dawn to leave the group and Ash to go to the new region, and so forth. It's sapping all the excitement of the league, especially since not all of these details have been confirmed. But what was proven right via the preview at the end of the episode for Ash's first round Sinnoh league match has been enough to say "Well, we've been here before, and so we know what's going to happen." Not that I don't think that any of this is wrong; more than 99.9% likely, if you had to say something, those predictions are the logical ones to make. But what's surprising/saddening to me is that even the homepage of this site has essentially listed some of these predictions as facts, citing what's happened in previous regions as support. I suppose none of this should bother me, but part of the fun of actually coming to a pokemon site, besides learning information, is to hopefully meet some people who have similar interests about the show. And for me, I want to enjoy the league; I want to think something is going to come out of it. And that's part of the reason I'm doing these reviews: Sinnoh has been amazing. It's important to stay in the moment, and considering how long it takes for the league to come around, it's a shame if it's not enjoyed more.

Well, sorry about that, I needed to get it off my mind. Zoey's 3rd appearance is a little better than her second, although I still think she struggles from the writers trying to make her a perfect coordinator, and doing that at the expense of our heroes. Here, it's Dawn who can't find the medicine in her bag needed for Zoey's injury, Brock producing it from his own bag (of course!), Dawn remarking who needs Nurse Joy, and then Brock working himself into a fitful range. That actually reminds me...once there was something Paul said to Dawn that sent her into a fitful rage as well back at the first gym. It really seems like the writers were trying to establish cross-interactions for Dawn/Paul and Ash/Zoey, but in the end basically gave up, especially after they decided to make Paul an experienced trainer rather than someone starting out. So now, there's not as much need for Ash to respect Zoey and Dawn to respect Paul since those 2 rivals are worlds apart; if Paul is a better trainer than Zoey, it's b/c he's more experienced and not necessarily more creative or talented. Wow! What a tangent that was. But getting back here, Brock's reaction causes Zoey to murmur to herself about how she liked it better when Dawn talked. Again, I think this is a little forced; Brock, despite his flaws, is very helpful when it comes to taking care of injuries and would normally give pointers about what he's doing, not start yelling b/c of a compliment.
The other negative would be Zoey's rematch with Jessie, which is again one-sided. The writers even try to make Zoey seem heroic in agreeing to battle by showing her grimacing due to her injury, but the scene just made me roll my eyes (it's very forced).

On the other hand, I think Zoey's helping Dawn out with her contest move was pretty neat. I'm not exactly sure why Zoey takes such a liking to Dawn (Paul's rivalry with Ash is much more understandable), but I'll say it's b/c she sensed that at heart, Dawn isn't too confident in herself. And considering how much Zoey likes to wisecrack and look cool (and boy, how the writers tried to oblige her in the beginning), Dawn is the perfect person to influence in that way (Dawn wants to look up to and admire somebody). Ash later on provides the perfect balance for Zoey with respect to Dawn's development: Zoey gets Dawn started as far as contest tactics are concerned; Ash is Dawn's training partner at times, but more importantly encourages her, even if Dawn doesn't succeed at what she's trying to do (to the pt of naivety from Ash). Speaking of Ash, his double battle with Dawn is actually pretty good, and Pikachu gets Buizel back for Buizel's cheap victory in Buizel's capture episode. This battle also is the first attempt at ice aqua jet, which is a move that's used a few more times at important moments later on in the storyline.

Last edited:

Lance The Champ

The Aura Guardian
Meowth looks pretty awesome dressed like a gentleman

G50

No longer posting
This episode was ok... It was cool to see a West Sea Pink Shellos for the 1st time. Shellos is so cute and shy, getting nervous around strangers. It was great that Dawn was learning how to do a double Contest Battle. Interesting how it was Buizel and Buneary vs Shellos and Glameow. It was funny when Buneary used Ice Beam on Buizel when it was in mid-air using Aqua Jet, and it ended up freezing it. It was funny when Buneary winked at Pikachu and then Dawn scolded it.

42/100

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I thought it was cute how Misdreavus and Glameow encountered Ash and friends and led them to Zoey. I also loved Marina's cameo and seeing her do an appeal with Feraligatr. I cackled when Dawn's double appeal practice went wrong, but seeing Buizel practice the Ice Aqua Jet was fab. I also liked that Jessie showed up in her Jessilina disguise.

Shellos extending it's neck like that. What the actual.... what?
No really, that was unexpectedly creepy!

JudySpell

Banned
So Zoey was shown getting hurt and this whole episode served as Contest practice. As a Contest fan I liked this episode. 7/10

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Zoey episodes are always cool and I just wish she had an east sea Shellos instead of a west sea one hee hee. Any ways Dawn and Buizel failing the ice Aqua Jet was unfortunate, but at least Dawn learned about the double performance format.

Zoey's injury seemed bad and I'm glad that she carried on and helped Dawn anyway. It's times like these that made me like Zoey a lot. :)

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
I liked the conversations with Zoey and her new Shellos was adorable. Buizel and Buneary were good, but what excited me is that Dawn will have another chance to do a double appeal since those are the rules of the Grand Festival.

Alloutℯ

Banned
It was nice to actually see Zoey engage in a battle despite her injury. I mean, how many times has the show emphasized the absurd notion that injured humans cannot direct their Pokemon in battle. But this time, they at least somewhat work around that rule.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
It was nice to actually see Zoey engage in a battle despite her injury. I mean, how many times has the show emphasized the absurd notion that injured humans cannot direct their Pokemon in battle. But this time, they at least somewhat work around that rule.

It was never a rule: injured trainers usually just lack the stamina to issue commands.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I thought it was sweet how Nyarmar and Muuma approached Hikari and the others to seek help for Nozomi, and the fact that we saw Marina and her Odile on Nozomi's laptop was fantastic. It was kind of Nozomi to demonstrate the Double Performance format with her Nyarmar and Karanakushi, as well as seeing Buoysel's Ice Aqua Jet for the first time.

Daizy

I call you honey
Marina's Croconaw has finally evolved and she's competing in Sinnoh contests. I find it odd that they keep showcasing Marina and even turning her into a coordinator just for the hell of it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
This episode showcased one of the Shinou saga's greatest aspects, which was the focus on training. I just really enjoyed watching Hikari practice for the upcoming Yosuga Contest.

Scorbunnie

Why did Zoey sound upset when Dawn and the others found her injured? She made it sound like she didn't want to be found instead of her being gracious and thanking everyone for their concern.