• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Stravia is Born! (481)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
Good Luck, Starly!

On their way to the next town, Ash decides to train his Starly ready for the next gym. However, while training, Starly gets caught up with many flying Pokémon as they get trapped by Team Rocket. Can Ash rescue his feathered friend?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreamcoat

Wow, seems its damaged brain wasn't THAT messed up after all since it had enough cells left to help all the caged birds =0

Maestro Kinético

Boring and looong. I loved the swablus though. The escened of Team Rocket sunbathing were totally unnecesary, as well as the 'inside the cave' escenes.

Another filler.

Amakusa Ryu

All is Unknown
It wasn´t expected Mukuru´s evolution, but I enjoyed the episode. But Mukubird is a flying type; How can Ash train a flying Pokemon for a Rock Gym?

pokemaster95

King of pirates
he is not going to use his new pokemon it has bee comfirm he will use naetoru aipom and pikachu.

Weav-vile

Totally!
I loved the episode!
Ash's Mukkuru proved to be a cool and good leader freeing its other birds friends and managing to evolve in such a cool way... And Mukubird is so cute! <3
Another moment I liked was the one in wich Team Rocket were resting by the sun... LOL, I missed that kind of thing happening on the show! I hope their costumes become more sofisticated from now on too...
And, uh... I really don't get people who always complain about a thing that is just perfect. I mean, ok, everyone's got their own opinion, but criticizing a good episode like this is just dumb, seriously. =)
And about Ash traininh his flying pokémon, y'know... Ash'll always be a noob, ROFL! xD
Just kidding ;P

- Nozomi

Gravy

Contaminated KFC
Boring and looong. I loved the swablus though. The escened of Team Rocket sunbathing were totally unnecesary, as well as the 'inside the cave' escenes.

Another filler.

Yeah, because those cave scenes didn't do anything to help differentiate Mukuru from Ash's other pokémon, and it would have been so much more relevant to see Ash and co. wandering around the wilderness instead!
And seemingly pointless scenes involving fan service? Why, the animé has never done anything like that before! *cough*MARCHOFTHEEXEGGUTORSQUAD*cough*
And yes, I agree. Character development and pokémon evolution certainly DOES equate to filler material!

Anyway~

I really liked this episode. For one, the animation was lovely, but I expect as much from anyways. There are one or two minor slip-ups, but it's no different from the kind of mistakes Iwane and co. usually make, and I really love his drawing style. It's a lot more 'cartoony' than a lot of the other animation directors, and it allows him to experiment a bit more with character expression and movement.

But anyways...the episode itself was great fun, if somewhat standard to a certain degree. Mukuru, the dear blessed brain damaged thing, got it's final moment in the spotlight, and I for one thought it made for a perfect last hurrah.
Mukuru's new found personality was a welcome treat, and I was honestly surprised at how well it was handled, especially since the poor thing has had such a small amount of focus up until this point. It's leadership abilities and planning skills were quite impressive (although they did remind me of Noctowl's first episode a wee bit), and as likely as it may be, I hope they manage to incorperate this into Mukubird's personality too. I think it would prove to be interesting in a 'Turning Over a New Nuzleaf' scenario, for example.
Though if I may say so, I thought Mukuru's evolution felt far too much like a last minute tack-on. It'd been nice if the lil' guy had been a little more involved with that Team Rocket bout instead of Bonsly. I know Bonsly evolves in the next episode and all, but his involvement really didn't make much sense at all. But it's a minor complaint.

And of course, you had all the little in-betweens as well. If I'm quite honest, I actually did laugh at Female COTD's introductory scene and I was amused by Brock's ineptitude. It's made me realise that all Brock really needs for those little skits are some good facial expressions and over-the-top animé poses and he's all set. Compare Greggle poisoning him in this episode to Greggle poisoning him in, say, the Pokétch ep. The difference in 'funny' is quite noticable.

Random points of interest;

-She may have been the unholy spawn of Bugsy and…uhh…wasserface new gym leader. But she was still cute.

-I agree with The Benmeister. Team Rocket do seem a lot more competent as of late. You have to give 'em props for a trap like that, especially when it manages to net them that many pokémon.

-Did anyone else notice Hikari's 'WOAH!' expression as the group slid down into that trench? I thought it was amusing~

-The way Meowth said 'Mukuru' was cute.

-Hooray for the ever changing voice of the all powerful Mayor McCheese.

-Gotta love that Fearow poking it's head out of the ground before the earth explodes and a shower of birds fly through the resulting hole.

-Jessie in a bikini wins. Who needs Hikari when you've got a real animé babe to model swimsuits.

-You've also gotta love the stereotypical animé villainess laugh demonstrated by Jessie as Mukuru was blown back by Dustox's Gust.
Unless of course you're Ashy-boy. Because then you can't really like anything Jessie related, ne?

Pokemaniacneo

Why did everyone think Mukkuru was brain damaged? Did somthing happen in an episode or somthing?

Jash Thor

Bringer of Lombax
-I agree with The Benmeister. Team Rocket do seem a lot more competent as of late. You have to give 'em props for a trap like that, especially when it manages to net them that many pokémon.

This was what stuck out to me most during this episode. It's great to see Team Rocket finally seem like competent villains. It's sad to see them constantly portrayed as rejects who can't get anything done. This is the kind of treatment they need more often. Also, the music during their sequences was spectacular. When their giant bird-house machine was assembling, there was a very ominous violin arrangement playing, and it was perfect. It helped a lot in making Team Rocket seem more...evil.

If I ran the show, Team Rocket would appear less frequently. And when they did appear, there would be no stupid Giovanni sequences and they would forego the lengthy (and now tired) introduction. Team Rocket can still seem like a goofy, rag-tag troupe of rebels, but make their appearences mean something. It's about time Team Rocket is given some respect.

Otherwise, I liked the episode alot. Mukkuru was great to watch, and it was a smart move to evolve him quickly. Hopefully he won't dissapear and Ash will continue to use him for battles, and not just aerial search and rescue.

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
-She may have been the unholy spawn of Bugsy and…uhh…wasserface new gym leader. But she was still cute.
Natane?
-Did anyone else notice Hikari's 'WOAH!' expression as the group slid down into that trench? I thought it was amusing~
As I stated in the speculation thread, it was one of those little bitty animation details that you really have to be paying attention for. One of the reasons Makoto is an excellent addition to the animation crew.
-Gotta love that Fearow poking it's head out of the ground before the earth explodes and a shower of birds fly through the resulting hole.
Twas my personal favorite piece of animation in the episode. That particular scene had so much going on in it that I had to replay it about 3 times to actually absorb what was happening.

uber gon

Accept Change
So was Mukkubird's new attack Brave Bird?

You know by this point I thought there be more people talking about the episode.

Maestro Kinético

Yeah, because those cave scenes didn't do anything to help differentiate Mukuru from Ash's other pokémon, and it would have been so much more relevant to see Ash and co. wandering around the wilderness instead!
And seemingly pointless scenes involving fan service? Why, the animé has never done anything like that before! *cough*MARCHOFTHEEXEGGUTORSQUAD*cough*
And yes, I agree. Character development and pokémon evolution certainly DOES equate to filler material!

If its focused that way for me it is. It's like I can't have my own opinion or something. I loved the Rival Confrontation epp and the drama of it, but this one was just meh. Mukkuru evolved very early in the season and it's evolution didn't have an specific reason. I would have loved more drama. And again, the bikini escenes were not necessary (I don't remember what happened in that Kanto epp that was unnecesary but if there was something I didn't like it too) The Giovanni escene was lame, those Giovanni escenes have to dissapear. But again a very good animation with beautifully coloured landascapes.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
So was Mukkubird's new attack Brave Bird?

I'm leaning more towards Aerial Ace, cause it seems like it plus the training in the begining was similar to when he was tring to teach Swellow the move, i still think it's a bit early for Brave Bird to be learned and used.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
The animation in this episode was gorgeous.

I love the expressions the characters have, and it makes me sad that all episodes don't look this good. Great animation alone can make even the worst filler worth watching.

I like how they built up Bonsly a little bit at the end as it battled and watched Mukkuru evolve. Mukkuru was nice in this ep, too bad we've seen so little of it before it evolved.

Overall this was a great episode. Has to be in my top 5 favorite D/P eps so far.

Hikozaru390

I think Mukkubird evolved a little early. I mean, sure, Ash had already caught Pidgeot as a Pidgeotto, Noctowl had no evolutions, and Taillow only had one, but this is too early to be evolving even a 3-stage Pokémon. We haven't even gotten to the first gym yet!

Otherwise, the episode was pretty good.

Bliksem

The Quirky Quilava
I loved this episode, and I'm glad that they finally gave Mukuru some much needed attention. An evolution helped too; I was tired of the poor thing getting its tail feathers handed to it. I suppose had it not evolved now, it would've been too weak to actually accomplish anything significant. But I'm thrilled at the pace D/P is going at the moment. I hope it stays like that.