• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Strong Sleeper: Komala's Secret (999)

Hammad80

Very boring episode. The only good part was watching Komala battling Ash and Kiawe and it’s backdtory with principal okido.

Rating: 3.2/10

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
Ikr? Sun & Moon fillers are way better and entertaining than from previous seasons (only talking about XY and BW here tho). :p

I think Sun & Moon is the only SoL anime I'd ever like just cuz is Pokemon lol.

The fillers from Johto to DP weren't really that entertaining either though; they got old by the end of Johto actually.

I like sol anime so SM fits in there with the others.

Red and Blue

So was Jigglypuff finally getting a taste of her own medicine a conclusion to her character arc? If so I hope she finally stops drawing on people for falling asleep.

DatsRight

Ikr? Sun & Moon fillers are way better and entertaining than from previous seasons (only talking about XY and BW here tho). :p

Same, they seem to fit in so many fun little details and roles for the cast into these sorts of episodes in SM, while previous seasons things got formulaic quick. I think the writers have a lot more grasp of what they want to do with the SOL antics compared to the action stuff, which is more by-the-numbers besides the odd good battle.

This is a standard filler but a fun one, as many have stated. Nice to see Jigglypuff again, and Samson and Komala finally getting a limelight episode (one empty spot I expected to stay empty checked off again, you impress me SM). Shame they didn't use the opportunity to show Samson's Vulpix again though.

We get some nice characterisation from Samson Oak here, he's a kook with corny puns, but he does seem intelligent and his Pokemon is a beast.

Team Rocket make a cameo, though establish their interest in capturing Ultra Beasts and remember Jigglypuff. Also first time we've ever seen Bewear neutralised by another Pokemon....or just about anything for that matter. Amusing fantasy, what the hell was Wobbuffet imagining though? XD

Nice details got in throughout the episode, the whole class is actually practicing battling, Litten, Marowak and Turtonator all get to fight again at last (even if it's short lived), the Litten vs Lycanroc rivalry continues, Popplio seems to be catching onto learning Sing (like that SM is foreshadowing moves being gradually learned so often, instead of being DEM power ups with no buildup), the Poke-choir was cute too (though Turtonator seems to provide baritone XD). They also remembered that Ash can swim too (no lifting logs though, 1 out of 2 ain't bad :p).

Jigglypuff actually got a happy ending with it's worthy opponent, even it's AG swan song yanked it's chain. Nice it got some limelight to make it worth reappearing instead of just being back to a running gag.

Last edited:

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
The "who's that pokemon" is the best part of this episode

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia

This might be biased but I found BW's fillers to be good enough for the most part, but I will say SM fillers are great. I was only ever able to get through XY's fillers sometimes (the Rotom episode, Haunted house episodes and the mirror one) the rest were boring.

DatsRight

This might be biased but I found BW's fillers to be good enough for the most part, but I will say SM fillers are great. I was only ever able to get through XY's fillers sometimes (the Rotom episode, Haunted house episodes and the mirror one) the rest were boring.

I think BW was experimenting with the free reign they got from not having to put TR in every episode anymore, so were creative with the new twerp-only episodes. Even when TR returned to normal, they weren't in every episode, and I think since they hadn't done 'classic Ash vs TR' in a while they tried a bit harder with it.

XY was when the old formula was starting to lag altogether. The best fillers were early on when things were more comical and they were still trying a bit with the TR plots, but as things got more serious, the personalities started to wane and the companions weren't abrasive or goofy enough to hold episodes on their own like the BW/SM cast, so they kept needing TR or something flashy to interrupt the story in a monotonous way unless a big battle or arc needed setting up. Clemont had a fun special at the end though.

SM once again has taken off a heavy leech and the writers are experimenting again. I suspect the SOL will start to wear thin eventually and the writers will grow into a formula again, hopefully they'll find another new direction before it gets as robotic and dreary as the COTD/TR formula ended up after five series.

I tend find that the fillers get better when the writers find new ways to spruce it up in some way and make it unpredictable. When it goes back to old formulas, they seem to lose passion and things get robotic again. I guess they struggle to find interest in trying to make the same outcome play out different after so long (e.g. the good guys beating TR, the COTD's problems being solved), with the current SOL right now, things can go any direction they want.

Last edited:

xEryChan

Demon Child
This was such an underwhelming episode, if I’m being honest, and it was definitely one of the worst, if not the worst, filler episodes I have seen from the SM anime.

I really do not have anything to say about it, that’s how bad it was to me. Like come on, they could not have come up with something better than the plot of a fight between Komala and Jigglypuff. It was so boring, I found myself falling asleep while watching. I will admit that the ending makes me wonder if Jigglypuff is leaving the show. That last few minutes kind of felt like a farewell to Jigglypuff when it flew off.

I give this episode a 5 out of 10. I really did not like it.

DatsRight

This was such an underwhelming episode, if I’m being honest, and it was definitely one of the worst, if not the worst, filler episodes I have seen from the SM anime.

I really do not have anything to say about it, that’s how bad it was to me. Like come on, they could not have come up with something better than the plot of a fight between Komala and Jigglypuff. It was so boring, I found myself falling asleep while watching. I will admit that the ending makes me wonder if Jigglypuff is leaving the show. That last few minutes kind of felt like a farewell to Jigglypuff when it flew off.

I give this episode a 5 out of 10. I really did not like it.

While the plots are simple, it's really no different from nearly every previous series' plot coming down to battling Team Rocket.

While I understand they are divisive and of required taste with fans of the previous series, one of the things I like about these episodes is that, while simplistic and laid back, the handling is diverse. The cast aren't trapped in a formula with these.

I especially like seeing the protagonists want to handle something more pacifistically rather than just battling all the time (usually through a generic curb stomp), meaning we get more times of them being crafty and eccentric while still playing on the Pokemon's abilities. Ash's solution to the Morelull episode is another example. This is something that makes the SM cast feel more colourful.

I do hope Lana and Popplio 'conducting' is a sign of things to come.

Ditto. They seem to be Inkayling more and more to potential performer ambitions for Lana this series. If they go to Hoenn and they introduce Contests to her, that might Seel the deal for her. :p

Last edited:

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
To be completely honest, I found this episode pretty underwhelming. The plot didn't really feel like much of a plot, and while there were some entertaining moments, those moments couldn't really make up for the overall blandness of the episode.

Team Rocket was a waste of screentime, as usual. I'm glad the writers didn't resort to the old formula of using Team Rocket as the source of conflict in an episode, but Team Rocket being in the episode just for the sake of being in the episode, without really doing anything of significance, is almost as bad.

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
I gotta be honest, this episode was so underwhelming to me. The plot did nothing to stand out. It felt like Ash and his classmates learned about Komala, here comes Jigglypuff to for drama purposes, and boom, episode over. Like what? That’s it? I get it was supposed to be a filler episode but some filler episodes can be memorable. This one, on the other hand, is easily the worst episode from the SM anime so far.

I also do not get why the writers insist on bringing Team Rocket back each episode just to have them in the show. They hardly did anything. They pretty much served no purpose whatsoever in this episode.

SONW

Of all the characters of SM, the ones I least interested to me were, of course, Komala and Oak.
This episode was really fun, and did something that I found incredible, explained a gag. Since the beginning of the series the Komala was beating on that bell, I particularly always found it annoying because it only took time and had no meaning. But this episode changed my view of the two, I like them more now.
This is not an episode I could skip, for sure.
Again, SM "fillers" are less "fillers" than in other series. Also, once again the pancake run episode was mentioned!

Leonhart

Imagineer
I also do not get why the writers insist on bringing Team Rocket back each episode just to have them in the show. They hardly did anything. They pretty much served no purpose whatsoever in this episode.

Frankly, I felt the same way about Purin. The fact that she came back into the series simply to appear in non-eventful episodes such as this one is almost as bad as the Rocket-dan's pointless meddling.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I wish we had gotten to find out where Professor Burnet was heading on her business trip.

I wonder what happened to Komala's original log.

Shouldn't they have covered their ears? Why did they cover their eyes?

How can Rotom shoot video in different angles while asleep?

Why is Professor Kukui surprised at a sing-off battle? Has he never seen Pitch Perfect?

I always thought it was because Jigglypuff was using the move Sing, but I guess it's just the tune of that song, sung by anybody, that does it.

I wonder where Jigglypuff's HQ is, that we saw in the Nebby Teleport episode?

Ditto. They seem to be Inkayling more and more to potential performer ambitions for Lana this series. If they go to Hoenn and they introduce Contests to her, that might Seel the deal for her. :p

Have you evolved into Principal Oak?

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
JIGGLYPUFF IS OFFICIALLY BACK!!!!!!

It was just fun seeing Jigglypuff again. I was always so confused as to the way Jigglypuff was left off. It got one random episode in Hoenn, and then never appeared again. It's like they expected to keep on using it, but just never got around to it and eventually forgot. Glad to see it back. Shame that the voice actor change from however many years ago means that the song sounds completely different, so there was some nostalgic value lost.

That being said, the episode itself was a bit boring and plotless, but I'll give it a pass, just because of the amusement of seeing Jigglypuff again.

What I found interesting was the parallels between this episode and the last one Jigglypuff had a major appearance in. In Jigglypuff's last episode, it met up with a Whismur that had the ability Soundproof, making it a Pokémon that could actually stay awake while Jigglypuff sang. Jigglypuff got a buddy from that (at least until the end), and here, we see a very similar thing occurring. Interesting to note.

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
Back to normal life but with one new member added to Kukui's family, and with our old narrator back. It's nice to see the story of how Komala and Samson met. And what a surprise to see Jigglypuff return and meet with a Pokemon that completely outdoes her. So it seems the Jigglypuff Song is a Brown Note kind of thing no matter who or what it comes from, and it got the Pokemon herself. After all this time, she finally lost and even took it well.

Goodness, that guy in the red shirt in Samson's flashback is as chill as that Goomba from that fandub of the Super Mario anime movie.

Well, I do hope they change the opening's footage when the Ultra Task Force arc starts.

So now the dub has its own Jigglypuff Song BGM, and it's great. And it's nice to hear that one silly track over the second time everyone awakened with graffiti on their faces. Other than that, the music was its standard good.

The first good filler of Ultra Adventures.

Vipsoccermaster

Not too shabby of a filler. Like @Ryu Taylor said, it's back to normal for now. I hope the Narrator enjoyed his time off. Anyway, the story of how Samson got Komala was good to hear. And since we have Jigglypuff, I was like, "Oh boy, here we go again." Although it was nice to see Jigglypuff finally getting a taste of its own medicine. It actually enjoyed it, much to everyone's surprise.