• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Super-Electromagnetic Hyper Class Battle! (1166)

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure
Umm what?

Electivire ability did work back in DP tho? It rendered all of pikachu’s electric attack useless even back then. I’m not sure what you mean.

It’s a work of art, is what it is. 90s screensaver art, but art nonetheless.
Ah fine my bad
Looks like I forgot since I never thought Ash would have made the same mistake twice, against Paul in the SL I mean.
Still think it's too overpowered for Electivire to absorb that insane amount of power but whatever.

Kuzehiko

Pokemon is a multi-billion dollar IP. It's not like they can't, they just don't want to. :(
Yeah I know, I was joking xD
But they really have bad taste when it comes down to choosing an animation studio company lol

Oh, it totally can.

It's just that the fillerish style of the anime keeps the marketing relevant, compared to a simple yearly 24-episode deal.
I know it can, it was joke but I don't understand why you think they don't hire a good animation company to just keep the anime relevant?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Gengar: I jobbed
Torterra: First time is always the roughest, kid.

==============

When you see those fancy arms swinging and dancing in your screen, you know it HAS to be an Iwane episode...

Overall, good episode all around and better DP promotion than that Dawn two-parter. My main issue is how they had Ash winning here. I know they do this sort of stunt so far but this time it's quite jarring. Guess Tomioka got nostalgic of Ash's match against Brock back in the day? I dunno, it feels off. If they wanted the Z-move finish so much at least have Pika use it on Luxray or Rotom instead. Feels like a cheap tatic to increase the tension and make it seem like Ash's the underdog. I mean, again, I know the anime is no stranger to this kinda stuff but when there's barely any actual battles, things like that kind of taint what would be a great episode.

All in all, very good episode and battle with a dissapointing closure.

When you see the end shot, you see 4 silhouettes in the background. So what if Bea isn't in the Master Class?

Cynthia's face look a bit... Evil here?
Yeah, I don't think Bea will be in Master Class.
I think Ash will beat her for a spot on it.
About the episode itself, it was quite good.
Funny that Ash still comes as the underdog, when the audience cheered for Volkner at first and remained in silence when Ash was presented!
That narrator was way too biased. Ash isn't just a newcomer but also the winner of the Battle Frontier and Champion of Alola League
After skimming through the episode again to see if missed anything, can i just say moving JPEG rotom is my favorite bit of ‘animation’ from the episode?

UB-h9l.gif

Man that really put a smile on my face.
Gotta cut corners so the budget can be used for the better battles

Anyway, can't believe Volkner is using Fan of all forms. Really dissapointing he picks the one with the redundant ability.

Should've been Mow form because at least you can say he is using it to counter ground types with a super-effective type (it's also handy for opposing rock types)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Should've been Mow form because at least you can say he is using it to counter ground types with a super-effective type (it's also handy for opposing rock types)
Ground-types are jokes in an anime where the main lead must absolutely destroy them with his Electric-type ace.

Which is why some Ground-type users stupidly set up their fights surrounded by water.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
The " best Journies ever looked " in terms of being consistently well-animated is Ash vs Visquez. I also made sure to rewatch that just for this comparison and I definitely feel that was decidedly better than this battle(both animated by Iwane) with the movement, impact of hits, battle choreography, etc superior. I'd say that's a completely fair standard.
That's probably because that episode took some time to get its battle started. This one? It only had a minute of Ash and Volkner talking.

Kuzehiko

It also looks better than most pre-XY battles. I think people have seriously forgotten even DP's Gyms don't look as impressive animation wise if you go back and watch them now.
Well yeah I agree DP animation battle weren't that impressive compared to the likes of BW, XY and most in JN but that was at least 11 years ago either way.
Also I meant overall XY battle animation.

D

Deleted member 384931

I didn't make the comparison. My standard for this battle and all of Journey's battles is Journeys itself. It's pretty clear that XY-style battle animation is unlikely to ever make an appearance again.
Which is q shame, but understandable

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I didn't make the comparison. My standard for this battle and all of Journey's battles is Journeys itself. It's pretty clear that XY-style battle animation is unlikely to ever make an appearance again.
Tbh it suprises me that the visquez is also still the one i think is the best in this series. Though i guess we have to consider what effects the pandemic had on everything after.

Kuzehiko

I mean you did compare this battle animation wise to some of XY's or am I wrong? :|
Yeah unlikely to return although I wish it could.

I mean you did compare this battle animation wise to some of XY's or am I wrong? :|
Yeah unlikely to return although I wish it could.
I didn't mention XY's battle animation at all before prompted to. I just said the animation in this battle was underwhelming and again, that just with the standard of previous better Journeys battles.

Kuzehiko

So my question is who is strong is current Cynthia compared to Raihan and Lance?
Do you guys think she's stronger or weaker than them?

Kuzehiko

Yesterday but 11 years ago Ash vs Paul's 3 part battle episode aired. In said episode Cynthia says she believes Ash and Paul will make to the Champions League in the future or what we know as *PWC* a day later Cynthia appears and is revealed to be in Master Class of the PWC. With this I have no doubts that Paul will come back to challenge in the PWC. He might even be in Master Class now.