• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Super-Electromagnetic Hyper Class Battle! (1166)

Pokemonfan5

You could literally make the same argument for pikachu vs tapu koko. He can just battle it again.
SM was ending so there is no time unlike JN which has more than one year, also Pikachu beating Tapu Koko in front of entire region is way better than in random place with only Ash friends to watch,

Pikachu vs Tapu Koko is the beginning and climax of SM, even if Ash won the league already Ash vs Kukui established Ash as truly strongest trainer in Alola and champion level like Steven-Diantha, if Ash lose to Kukui most fans especially SM haters will say Ash don't deserve the title and he should handed it over to Kukui like many fans making theory of Ash will lose to Kukui and give up the title as an excuse to travel more.

Pokemonfan5

Fighting a pokemon multiple times doesn't up the stakes. That's like saying Ash vs Alain had stakes because greninja lost to his charizard over and over again. He got nothing to prove/lose.
Unlike Alan Tapu Koko battle is way more personal, this was the most important battle for Pikachu, Ash had the promise to fulfill unlike past few series where Ash failed to do that, among rivals after Paul Tapu Koko help Ash the most in anime to get stronger, those battles with Tapu Koko help and motivate Ash to get stronger, stay in Alola, take island challenge, just like Paul in DP Tapu Koko was the begining and climax of SM and also the end of Ash and Pikachu character in SM.

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
I was searching through anime on a website when I came across a Pokemon Jouneys episode reccomendation,the thumbnail had Pikachu facing off against an Electivire.It couldn't have been a certain trainer's Electivire that I was thinking in my head,it was instead Volkner's.The entire episode was Ash going up against Volkner which I can't complain since I couldn't care less about anything else in the anime.Thought the battle overall was good it reminded me of the battles back in DP,my only problem was the finish of the match.Ash has gotten stronger since DP but couldn't get the job done without cheating?

If Volkner had the same powerups I wouldn't have a problem with it but come on man that was an unfair advantage.It pretty much told me that if he didn't use Z-Move he would've lost.Towards the end of the episode Cynthia got snuck in for a cameo appearance.So that's what a total of 3 characters from DP that made a return to the series?So when the hell is Paul getting his return?

LazySpy

Kimty
Halfway through the episode I felt the need to pause to comment on the whole "Gengar got jobbed" case.

I don't believe he was.

He actually dealt significant damage to Luxray and held quite okay against Rotom untill he was hit by Thunder Wave and paralyzed.

I can see how you can make a case for him not scoring a K.O being a bit dissatisfactory, but he did an excellent battle nonetheless, however brief it was.
Overall the episode is like a 7 or 8/10, very good, nice strategies, great writing all around.

About Motor Drive being bypassed, apparently Electric type Pokemon can overload if there is too much energy, and the 1M Volt did exactly that, which I guess makes sense.

EDIT: Having read some arguments on BMGF I have to agree the Z-Move is a DEM, lmao.

Last edited:

Pokemonfan5

If you truly believe that then i have nothing more to say
If he can beat opponent even stronger than Diantha and Iris than yeah he is 100% on their level while Gladion was league winner level which wouldn't shown Ash as truly champion level.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Pokemon that can power an entire city for a year vs small electric rat = small rat somehow overloading the power grid

Suuuuuure

Guess Volkner should've invested in some surge protectors, or are those only allowed in the Kanto region?

Ah yes, Togedemaru, well-known for powering entire cities - must've missed that lore drop somewhere along the line, silly me

Also Motor Drive =/= Lightning Rod

Pikachu literally used that move to destroy an ISLAND GUARDIAN AND ITS ULTIMATE ATTACK! Tapu Koko is on a much higher level than Electivire and if Pikachu can overcome that it could easily overcome Electivire. Motor Drive and Lightning Rod work on the exact same priniciple. Pikachu isnt just any ordinary electric rat but then again youre a person who says TR's goal makes no sense since they could just go to Viridian forest and catch any pikachu when its been established that Ash's Pikachu is something special. Lore wise it makes absolute sense for Pikachu to do what it did, anime isnt equal to the games and it made perfect sense here

Also to the people who say using a Z move is cheating.....why? Especially when Ash earned it in his travels, he should now not use it? BS logic. Korrina cheated too then

Shneak

this is a Nessa x Sonia stan account ✨
I enjoyed that battle. It looked a little clip-art-y at times but the switching and strategy made up for it. We've seen Pikachu vs Electivire so many times but the Z Move spiced it up.

I can't believe they revealed Cynthia in the PWC like that.

PokeFreak1200

The battle had it's good points but I think ultimately was let down at the end. I didn't watch SM aside from the league so I can't comment on the frequency of battles ending with a Z-move, but personally I think it's a too predictable ending. There's nothing clever about it, just straight forward big move. I have never seen it be interrupted or see any negative effect after using it. It's a free attack even if you waste it. While Volkner did decide to tank it, could he heave not instead told Electivire to stop Pikachu before he uses the big god killing attack. You could have it that using a Z-move is a high risk move, and that doing it in front of your opponent is basically giving the opponent a free hit.

Other than that not too many strategies with Ash. Electroweb remains very versatile. Lucario choosing to dunk on Luxray with Aura sphere instead of shooting it was clever, but could have used Ash to direct Lucario so he could take credit for the tactic. Volkner however had a stronger showing. Using electro field, paralysis, and mean eye finisher. Swapping to Electivire to make use of Electric engine was really smart too.

As far as the use of the Z-ring however, Ash is allowed to use it but still doesn't feel right for him to have the advantage. If Volkner used a mega evo than you could argue it's pretty even. The question is if Ash is going to use a Z-ring for every major battle now.

Rune Knight

Also to the people who say using a Z move is cheating.....why? Especially when Ash earned it in his travels, he should now not use it? BS logic. Korrina cheated too then

People complained when he didn't use it, and complain now that he did.

Volkner didn't even complain, in fact he looked forward to seeing it be utilized because he wanted to face Ash at his best. If anything he was probably grateful for it.

Am i the only one who thought the subpar music ruined the fight? Many slow paced tracks which did not fit the high-paced visual action in the slightest. It was jarring at times and greatly contributed to there being no real hype or intensity to the fighting.

It was the first time I thought they missed the mark on this, previous PWC fights had very fitting music.

Rune Knight

As far as the use of the Z-ring however, Ash is allowed to use it but still doesn't feel right for him to have the advantage. If Volkner used a mega evo than you could argue it's pretty even. The question is if Ash is going to use a Z-ring for every major battle now.

Sorry but I disagree. It is not advantage, there is a heavy cost to every action including using mega-evolutions, z-moves, dynamax and whatever other gimmicks.

First of all, you can only use it once and that's it. You miss and you're likely done. Second, it takes a huge toll on the trainer and the pokémon.

If Volkner survived that Z-Move, Pikachu would've likely been too tired to continue fighting. They not only have to be efficient, but they also have to be smart on deciding when to use it.

Not to mention that Volkner knew what a z-ring was and which of Ash's Pokémon it belonged to. He had time to think up a strategy and prepare, he is a gym leader after all.

Other people may disagree with me, but by that logic that would also mean that anyone who uses mega or a z-ring is playing unfair when that in itself is neither fair or true!

Rune Knight

And also, this is probably literally the first time I ever hear anyone complain about someone having what they deem to be an "unfair" advantage over another trainer, and of course it only happens to be the case when it involves Ash Ketchum.

Where was this during the Korrina battle when she utilized a mega-evolution?

So to anyone who thinks like this, literally the only people who care, is you!

Now I respect everyone's opinion and all, and if you truly believe that this is indeed the case then I apologize and you have every right to your opinion.

But I ask you to try and see the perspective of people like Ash and Volkner. Do you think that they would appreciate the idea of someone holding back their full prowess because of the possibility that they could not win otherwise.

HECK NO, because to them it's not about winning.

To them, it's better to go down fighting the strongest lion then triumphing over a crippled monkey.

TLDR. THIS IS NOT ABOUT WINNING, IT'S ABOUT HONOR, BLOOD, AND THUNDER.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
So they did go for the bs of the Z Move overwhelming Electivire. Definitely going to go over smoothly with the forums lol

Cynthia confirmed!
Can't believe they stole an idea I've kept to myself in my head for the last 7 years or so.

Rune Knight

Maybe I should rephrase a bit. I would agree that by definition, yes it is an advantage.

However I would argue that it is in the same sense of someone using something like a team of fire types for a grass type gym. It is a huge advantage but it is still allowed because not only is it part of the trainer's strategy but there are always, always ways to circumvent it.

A good trainer like Volkner would likely consider any possibility and plan ways around it.

He even said, at least in the sub that I watched something along the lines of "There's the z-move, I have been waiting for this!".

He had a plan, which failed but regardless it was still a plan.

To say that Ash shouldn't have used his z-ring at all just to make the battle fair is crackpottery!