• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Super-Electromagnetic Hyper Class Battle! (1166)

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Y'know at no point when watching the Japanese version of the episode did my mind think "I wonder if Volkner's voice will change in the dub." as I had forgotten who voiced him originally. Watching the dub of this episode and hearing Volkner's new voice made me want to check who his original VA was and not gonna lie, I should've figured that Volkner would get a new VA considering in Yugioh Duel Links, the character Yuma Tsukumo had a voice change and he and Volkner were voiced by the same person.

doofinc

get rillaboomed
Aight gave this one a watch since after watching the Drasna fight and being disappointed, this was the one most recommended.

Obligatory contexts:
  1. Not watching Journeys regularly - episodes I watched were Ash vs. Iris (not a fan), return of Gary (meh), Ash vs. Drasna 2-parter (bad), and return of Serena (pretty good)

Onto the review:

Pros:
  • greatly appreciate the additional strategy in this fight compared to what I've seen before
    • Thunder Wave/paralysis into switch into Rotom for Hex is dope
    • Ash's attempted Electroweb trap on Rotom into Thunderbolt
    • Volkner's insta-swap of Rotom into Electivire for Motor Drive is some hilarious anime-only strat since I've been wondering if people could do that, automatically gets a +1
Neutrals
  • I guess Lucario is cracked for tanking everything and taking out 2 mons
    • Luxray was mad damaged from Gengar but Rotom was kinda not very damaged, then gets smacked up by Reversal
      • Definitely not the most egregious comeback + that's what Reversal does, so I will let it slide
  • Not watching the whole series consistently does wonders in my perception of who's a jobber and who isn't, since I didn't mind Gengar losing since it made a lot of sense based on the fight
Cons
  • Ash needing a cheater mode to win while Volkner didn't have one sure was something
    • Mans had to cheat in his cheater mode to win
      • literally checked to see if Z-Moves bypass absorption abilities - they do not
  • Kind of an anti-climactic end

Started high, ended low unfortunately. Also, relatively speaking, the best battle I've seen in Journeys so far which is unfortunate. Probably gonna go with the Bea finals match next but I hope the master class battles are better.

doofinc

get rillaboomed
I don't know if you watched SM or not, but there's nothing cheating about using the Z-move. Yes it overpowered Electrivire despite it's ability, but it's not like Ash easily won with it either. The PWC is set-up where Ash can use either Mega evolution, Z-moves, or Gigantamax in one battle, so this was the Z-move one.
It's hyperbole - I'm well aware that they're allowed to use one of the busted mechanics. Just didn't like how he needed one to win when Volkner didn't have one.

What i find cheap is how despite this being a major battle, it was a complete and utter downgrade looks wise compared to the battle were ash used pika z against kukui and koko.

Like look at this and its on the official pokemon youtube so i can post this.
This is why I hate ZMoves. The Nuke is the biggest DEM and it never fails.

The Nuke is so OP that it breaks logic and overpowers Motor Drive. The Nuke is so strong that it can break logic and defeat ground types. The Nuke is strong. Accept it.
Also in my universe in Ashs first battle back since becoming a dad Pikachu KOed multiple ground types with Thunderbolt at once. Idk why had Pikachu do a 6v1 but dad strength Ash is superior. In fact dad strength Ash (Pikachu is not a dad) lends his dad strength to all his Pokémon so that Pikachu is able to OHKO Landorus, Primal Groudon, Zygarde Complete, and 3 Ground Type Arceus all at once with a single Thunderbolt.
I’m serious on this.
And then Pikachu looses to a Jangmo-o

Starswirl Pikachu

Early on it appeared that Ash's team might get overpowered and that they would suffer a quick defeat against the Sinnoh Electric gym leader. While not directly causing any knockouts, Gengar did a respectable job of wearing down the opponents. Fortunately Lucario had enough staying power to take a few hits and still deliver some good damage. I would say there is some controversy on Pikachus ultimate move. Which one is stronger, Electivires ability to sponge electricity or Ash+Pikachu+ mysterious Z move bond? Since its an uncommon attack skill, I am ok with the result.
(I wonder what would have happened if they had used it when the Electric field effect was still active?)

The Nuke is so OP that it breaks logic and overpowers Motor Drive. The Nuke is so strong that it can break logic and defeat ground types. The Nuke is strong. Accept it.
Also in my universe in Ashs first battle back since becoming a dad Pikachu KOed multiple ground types with Thunderbolt at once. Idk why had Pikachu do a 6v1 but dad strength Ash is superior. In fact dad strength Ash (Pikachu is not a dad) lends his dad strength to all his Pokémon so that Pikachu is able to OHKO Landorus, Primal Groudon, Zygarde Complete, and 3 Ground Type Arceus all at once with a single Thunderbolt.
I’m serious on this.
And then Pikachu looses to a Jangmo-o
The Nuke is BS and this win was BS

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
So they remembered to use the camera for this battle. Loved the atmosphere created by electric terrain and Rotom’s performance was the best for me.

mysticalglacia

Alola Shill
This battle really was as excellent as everyone said it was damn. What a way to just come out of the Hyper Class gate swinging!

Ash and Volkner already talking was a good way to start. Loved him and his arc in DP; seeing the flashback to their battle and peak fiction like Infernape vs Luxray particularly was neat. Also very cool that Volkner took an interest in Ash’s Z-Ring especially after he said it was for just him and Pikachu. I saw that as a sweet callback to how Volkner recognized himself in Ash and Pikachu and how that helped snap him out of his depression. Also it’s a little thing but I liked seeing the Sunnyshore Gym’s new interior. I’ve liked seeing prior locations updated to be more modern and fit the art style but sometimes places get changed a little too drastically. With Volkner being such a techie I can actually believe he would remodel his Gym like that lol.

Volkner is just so raw man. He’s without a doubt one of the most straightforwardly strategic battlers we’ve ever seen; this battle had such consistent tactics I can only remember trainers like Paul and Conway employing before this. The setup of the Electric Terrain, the paralyze + Hex combo, and that clean switchout to Electivire to activate Motor Drive (gave me Paul’s Electivire vibes) were all top tier. And rightly so, he’s not ranked 27th for nothing. He’s for sure grown stronger since DP and I think it made perfect narrative sense for him to come back like this; Ash revitalized his love for battle and want for growth and challenge so it’s only fitting he’s going all out against him again.

The constant switching and amount of pressure put on Ash made the battle feel so tense and exciting. The animation was also quite good; even up to now I think it’s probably JN’s best animated battle. The camera felt dynamic and there were tons of impactful sequences that really conveyed the weight of the action. I specifically really liked Electivire’s tails swatting the Aura Spheres away and it being hit by 10MV. I missed these types of battles, the ones that are engaging to watch and filled with smart writing that takes full advantage of the medium.

Ash using the nuke was a very fitting finish. Love how astonished Volkner was by it; also have to give props to him and Electivire for trying to absorb it into Motor Drive. It all made for a sick ending to a great fight. Ash then mentioning he wanted to win against him by using the strongest Electric move was genuinely very sweet, and so was Volkner’s response. Really like their dynamic together and how it carried over from DP.

That Cynthia tease at the end had to have made people lose their minds last year

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
This battle really was as excellent as everyone said it was damn. What a way to just come out of the Hyper Class gate swinging!

Ash and Volkner already talking was a good way to start. Loved him and his arc in DP; seeing the flashback to their battle and peak fiction like Infernape vs Luxray particularly was neat. Also very cool that Volkner took an interest in Ash’s Z-Ring especially after he said it was for just him and Pikachu. I saw that as a sweet callback to how Volkner recognized himself in Ash and Pikachu and how that helped snap him out of his depression. Also it’s a little thing but I liked seeing the Sunnyshore Gym’s new interior. I’ve liked seeing prior locations updated to be more modern and fit the art style but sometimes places get changed a little too drastically. With Volkner being such a techie I can actually believe he would remodel his Gym like that lol.

Volkner is just so raw man. He’s without a doubt one of the most straightforwardly strategic battlers we’ve ever seen; this battle had such consistent tactics I can only remember trainers like Paul and Conway employing before this. The setup of the Electric Terrain, the paralyze + Hex combo, and that clean switchout to Electivire to activate Motor Drive (gave me Paul’s Electivire vibes) were all top tier. And rightly so, he’s not ranked 27th for nothing. He’s for sure grown stronger since DP and I think it made perfect narrative sense for him to come back like this; Ash revitalized his love for battle and want for growth and challenge so it’s only fitting he’s going all out against him again.

The constant switching and amount of pressure put on Ash made the battle feel so tense and exciting. The animation was also quite good; even up to now I think it’s probably JN’s best animated battle. The camera felt dynamic and there were tons of impactful sequences that really conveyed the weight of the action. I specifically really liked Electivire’s tails swatting the Aura Spheres away and it being hit by 10MV. I missed these types of battles, the ones that are engaging to watch and filled with smart writing that takes full advantage of the medium.

Ash using the nuke was a very fitting finish. Love how astonished Volkner was by it; also have to give props to him and Electivire for trying to absorb it into Motor Drive. It all made for a sick ending to a great fight. Ash then mentioning he wanted to win against him by using the strongest Electric move was genuinely very sweet, and so was Volkner’s response. Really like their dynamic together and how it carried over from DP.

That Cynthia tease at the end had to have made people lose their minds last year
They really bring their A++ game in writing battles when it comes to DP characters, DP just IS that series <3