• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Super-Electromagnetic Hyper Class Battle! (1166)

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Yesterday but 11 years ago Ash vs Paul's 3 part battle episode aired. In said episode Cynthia says she believes Ash and Paul will make to the Champions League in the future or what we know as *PWC* a day later Cynthia appears and is revealed to be in Master Class of the PWC. With this I have no doubts that Paul will come back to challenge in the PWC. He might even be in Master Class now.
So just a coincidence that has no bearing to this episode, then.

Kuzehiko

That moment I found a lifetime treasure

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
Yes, this is what I was talking about. There were too many stills in the battle with the movement just lacking at times.

There’s a lot of out screen movement in this battle, like how electivire and lucario were suddenly already a static image in front of their opponents. It kinda makes you lose track of the battlefield and make it look kinda janky.

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
What made the animation messy to you? I'm not exactly a fan of JN's designs, but I don't know what's particularly bad about the designs in the Visquez battle.

Fluidity is probably the number one thing I look for in animation.
Compare the way Iwane drew the characters to the way they're drawn in other episodes. Ash and Goh's facial features were consistently positioned or shaped wrong far more than in other episodes.

Kuzehiko

It's not that, but you'd think the anime would have done remotely anything to point out the coincidence, which it didn't. This anime does not do foreshadowing right.

Especially not when it's been over 15 years since then.
Of course it didn't! This episode didn't have DP continuity either. Because this isn't the year of Sinnoh. It was just a mere coincidence SURE.

Kuzehiko

If she is already in the Master Class weaker then Lance at least. He is already second to Leon
Also think she is weaker than Lance. I think she might be stronger than Raihan tho.
Find it hard to accept but it is what it is.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
A few more thoughts I wanted to get out of the way
I love that they brought up that cool eyepatch from the first project mew episode. Looks like it will be used in every Project Mew/PWC episode and im all here for it
Lucario hugging Luxray when they fainted was really cute, a cat dog dynamic, I'm a sucker for those
I agree that the animation of the iron tail exchange was weak af, but the rest I think sufficed although I won't say it's better than previous series. Still enjoyed this battle more than Visquez
Also, honestly I'm really annoyed they didn't bring up Ash's champion title when the previews hyped it up and leaks gave false expectations. People are just going to use this to keep claiming Ash's champion status isn't important or inferor and all and that's gonna be frustrating when this is a clear case of their selective continuity then anything else. I'm more peeved that they had the perfect moment to show Ash's symbolism from Alola with that z move finisher and everyone around the world watching but whatever
Y'all took Ash losing to Tobias, then Trip's Snivy WAY too seriously, then blame the writers for what is clearly Ishihara overriding them.

And it shows with all this defensiveness and blaming innocents over and over again.

That's what Sinnoh-Unova Transition Derangement Syndrome is.

Writers in anime are ORDERED WHAT TO DO, not free. This isn't the 90s, or Nauto/Boruto, One Piece, Dragon Ball, etc.

How about you blame the middling programmer turned soulless bumbling marketing CEO overriding creatives and selling people what they're supposed like and buy merch of instead of letting things happen organically, instead of underpaid writers whose creativity has been chained up with an iron ball attatched?

I am sick of the writers being blamed for what isn't their fault. The SHEER VENOM spewed towards people who have ZERO creative freedom is a "shoot the messenger" scenario.

It REEKS of naivete regarding corporate entertainment as a business and entitlement over TOYS and TOY MARKETING TOOLS.

This episode was only bad if you had toxic expectations because you bought into marketing BS. ISHIHARA and TPCI's WHEELHOUSE.

IF THE MARKETING LIED TO YOU, BLAME THE MARKETING FIRM'S DISHONEST LEADERSHIP. It's that simple.

This is why I refuse to buy into anime marketing.

I can love the anime without getting venomous when lies are sold by the ACTUAL bad people. Not Game Freak, not the anime writers, not the VAs or those casting them or replacing them, THE SOULESS MARKETING DEPARTMENT.

Please put aside your biases, stop buying into TPCI's anti-consumer tactics, and learn how to judge episodes like this without flashing back to the Sinnoh-Unova transition and losing your minds.

This episode was FINE.

THAT'S IT.
I feel like there's a well intended argument somewhere in there but it's lost in all the rambling. But judging by your previous comments on threads I'm guessing you're on the spectrum and I get why it must be frustrating to have you be mocked over your writing while dealing with this, but I don't think it's the right call to accuse others of abelism since they probably didn't know about that and didn't mean to be rude. Regardless I understand your frustration and I kinda agree with your point that lots of people here shamely bash on the writers too much when sometimes it just isn't their fault and are dependent on the marketing team, but I also don't think it's the right call for you to then go bash other people based on that. Let's keep it civil on all accounts.
Gengar had to job AGAIN?

When is he going to get any justice?
Fingers crossed for Sabrina and GMax redemption soon
Ishihara apparently
Okay I died laughing at this lmao XD
Cynthia's face look a bit... Evil here?
She can step on me all she wants .......

No I won't apologize for being horny over Cynthia :p

GhostWallker98

10/10 for me. Goh barely had any screentime and we got to see Cynthia and Ash's future opponents. Battle was great, but the fact that there was no Pokemon catching from Goh or anything related to him other than checking his pokedex made the episode perfect for me.

nuzamaki90

Rewatched the episode and didn’t even realize new OST tracks were used. The one that played when it was Electivire VS Pikachu & Lucario was super rad.

I’m only halfway through and I already like the battle a lot more. I think I can get around Gengar losing early just because of how much damage it did to Luxray. I think I just suffered from an early morning lack of enthusiasm

There’s a lot of out screen movement in this battle, like how electivire and lucario were suddenly already a static image in front of their opponents. It kinda makes you lose track of the battlefield and make it look kinda janky.
I think janky is a good way to describe how I felt about the movement in this episode for sure. The static images and lack of impact in exchanges is what I thought was underwhelming about the battle animation.

Deitylight

Legendary Trainer
The anime is once again not obeying how abilities work in the game but on the flip side in USUM, its shown that Pokemon with such abilities have a limit on how much they can take as shown with game Sophocles's Togedemaru and since they're doing 1:1 to the games and we know how absurdly powerful the Z move is, it suddenly isn't the most bs thing in the anime.

Evstike

Take me back to peak pokemon
I wonder if the animation issues were due to this battle being a 3v3. More different characters means less reused animation. I also noticed a lot of new BANK animation compared to Iwane's previous episodes which reused a lot from the Visquez battle. I remember Iwane saying in an interview that he has a quota for the amount of drawings he can use and he's not supposed to go above or too far below that amount. The issue is most likely due to the higher ups.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
So my question is who is strong is current Cynthia compared to Raihan and Lance?
Do you guys think she's stronger or weaker than them?

this is a situation where i would need to see them fight to get a clear indicator of where she stands.

The anime is once again not obeying how abilities work in the game but on the flip side in USUM, its shown that Pokemon with such abilities have a limit on how much they can take as shown with game Sophocles's Togedemaru and since they're doing 1:1 to the games and we know how absurdly powerful the Z move is, it suddenly isn't the most bs thing in the anime.

if the anime was that comparable to the games, pokemon wouldn't be dodging moves. since that's not a thing outside of using moves like Double Team

If anyone has seen SM and saw what that attack was capable of doing, then it's not exactly hard to register that it could override Electivire's Motor Drive all things considered.

Decidueye23

Geez, they immediately rushed Volkner's battle out of the door with almost no buildup. I don't think they have ever done this before. While that did make the battle last longer, it hurts giving Volkner any sort of introduction for anyone new seeing him here. He's just "I'm ranked higher than you, As. Oh, and do you remember your Suicide Mountain?" and that's it.

Gengar was screwed just so Lucario could shine brighter.

ALL HAIL ASH THE UNBEATABLE TRAINER.

...Or not. Cynthia is here. We didn't need to know Ash's league crusher...or everyone's league crusher ahead of time.
Lucario tieing with luxray was due to Gengar. So it disnt totally job here. It did quite well against luxray.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
If anyone has seen SM and saw what that attack was capable of doing, then it's not exactly hard to register that it could override Electivire's Motor Drive all things considered.
it's not nonsensical, just kinda feels too brute force-y