• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Super-Electromagnetic Hyper Class Battle! (1166)

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
this is a situation where i would need to see them fight to get a clear indicator of where she stands.

if the anime was that comparable to the games, pokemon wouldn't be dodging moves. since that's not a thing outside of using moves like Double Team

If anyone has seen SM and saw what that attack was capable of doing, then it's not exactly hard to register that it could override Electivire's Motor Drive all things considered.
I'd say she's stronger. I have nothing to base this on except for the fact that BD/SP is coming out in a few months but since it is, I can easily see her being Leon's equal in a 6-on-6 match. In a 1-on-1 Dynamax/Gigantamax battle, I think Leon would definitely win, though in a closer match than one would expect. In a 6-on-6 battle without Dynamax/Gigantamax, I see Cynthia pulling out the win with difficulty. In a 6-on-6 with Dynamax/Gigantamax battle, I see it ending in a tie. That way, neither Cynthia nor Leon looks bad. BD/SP is represented well via its Champion and Leon is not shoved aside for the newest series of games. In addition, such a scenario allows Leon to still be Ash's ultimate goal for Journeys while allowing Cynthia, or a potential future Champion from either Gen 9, a past Generatiion (like Steven or a potential appearance by Leaf representing Kanto (please let this happen)), or both, to be the ones to show that while Ash has come a very long way, there's always a stronger trainer out there if he does want to become the strongest (which is not yet a stated prerequisite for becoming a Pokémon Master).

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
if the anime was that comparable to the games, pokemon wouldn't be dodging moves. since that's not a thing outside of using moves like Double Team
It's so funny how this move's number does not represent the number of fakes that get created.

They may as well pretend they're the ones who gave Naruto the idea of cloning himself hundreds of times within seconds.

Eneci

FrogadierMasterLucas
The battle overall was okay, would‘ve enjoyed it more if Volkner used more different/new pokes. It had some neat noments, but it felt cheapened by Ash using a Z move to win, as Volkner hadn‘t an equivalent to it.
Hoping for another PWC battle soon.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Lucario tieing with luxray was due to Gengar. So it disnt totally job here. It did quite well against luxray.
Gengar is still used as a sacrificial lamb (ironically since it's a dead Pokemon anyway) so other teammates can shine better. It looks like it is not allowed to get a win. It's perhaps an even worse Noivern who actually has the time to...

Oh wait, it's a Torkoal.

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
I really enjoyed this battle, and I’m looking forward to rewatching it when the better subs come out.. I thought that Volkner was a great opponent with a great strategy that challenged Ash, and I loved the call backs to DP and SM. I also liked the amount of switching, which is something we usually don’t see. I thought this made the battle more exciting.

Unpopular opinions:
Gengar did not job. He was instrumental in setting up Luxray’s fall to Lucario
Using a Z-Move was not cheap. This is the Hyper/Ultra class, and Ash should be bringing everything he has acquired and learned on his journey.

Martinat388

He did the thing!
I haven't been watching journeys that much recently, however I watched this episode.
I feel like the battle was pretty good, especially for the first 3v3 of journeys.
While I wish Gengar knocked out Rotom fan and Lucario knocked out Luxray, the way they did it works too.
The cameos of Bea and Raihan were nice too, I hope we get another episode with Bea before they clash though, so that she actually feels like a rival

Jiffunk

if ash battles cynthia and wins, who will be the one to defeat garchomp? because if it's pikachu and we get a finale with charizard vs pikachu with the battle against leon then............

D

Deleted member 384931

So Lucario just shook if off, the paralysis?
And Pikachu just overpowered Motor Drive?

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
The whole episode is focused about Ash vs Volkner battle inside a gym.

This battle has some interesting strategies but I thought it was more grounded, in a way that Pokemons are just standing there and taking hits. In fact, the most dynamic thing I saw in this battle was the Pikachu & Electivire Iron Tail clashes.

Some KOs are kinda hilarious like Gengar "I'm fine...no I ain't!" expression and Luxray & Lucario "resting" on each other.

Volkner is sure a tough trainer. I wondered how the battle would be if Ash didn't have the Z-ring. And yeah, there's plot armor especially with the amount of hits Pikachu & Lucario took compared to Gengar. Rotom is pretty cool because it's tiny and mobile compared to Luxray & Electivire which are tanks.

Nice Cynthia's cameo. It would be great to see her battle against Leon instead of Ash.

Ok episode, not so impressive battle choreography but the strategies are there.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Well, you cant blame people for giving importance to Animation... in an ANIME...
Its a visual medium, if its just the story that mattered, might as well read a book. Animation and movies are more about how you present what you want to say rather than just saying it. Which is why demon slayer, depsite not having a great story ( i mean personally i feel its much better than standard anime like DBZ, One Piece, and Naruto, where the main character just wants to be the best) works so well. Its emotion plus god tier animation.
That's fair, my point is that I feel it's given too much importance over the other aspects that if the animation aspect is a bit lacking but the others are top tier, it is often not seen as admirably as the opposite.
I would say she is number 2. Leon will remain Ash's final goal
Lance is confirmed to be No. 2 tho

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Well, you cant blame people for giving importance to Animation... in an ANIME...
Its a visual medium, if its just the story that mattered, might as well read a book. Animation and movies are more about how you present what you want to say rather than just saying it. Which is why demon slayer, depsite not having a great story ( i mean personally i feel its much better than standard anime like DBZ, One Piece, and Naruto, where the main character just wants to be the best) works so well. Its emotion plus god tier animation.
I dunno, I think Demon Slayer has a very solid story. The animation was fairly loyal aside from a few expansions here and there (more noticeable with all those flashbacks during the Rui arc).

Basically, the animation's main merit is doing a good job on portraying everything that was there already.
So Lucario just shook if off, the paralysis?
Ash maxed his happiness. At least it's a game mechanic being used :p

DragonKahuna

Dragon Master
Volkner is one of the best opponents Ash has ever battled. He showed a battling style made of skills, amazing game mechanic adaptions and intelligent strategy. While the battle was slightly lower than 10/10, I still got hyped while watching Volkner battling in such an amazing way.
In battles in general, Ash is the one who gets the praise for his strategies and having Volkner battle like today, certainly gives me hope that the rest of the PWC battles will hopefully be even more impressing.

And Cynthia FTW!!!

ShadowForce720

Ranking can change though. Thats the advantage of PWC
At this point there is no real reason to think that Lance won’t still be #2 when Ash gets into the Master 8 until it’s confirmed otherwise.

The difference between the Master 8 and the other classes is that it is harder to progress through the ranks of the Master 8 because of the skill level of all the trainers there.

If I had to guess Cynthia is probably rank 3 or 4.