• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Super-Electromagnetic Hyper Class Battle! (1166)

DragonKahuna

Dragon Master
At this point there is no real reason to think that Lance won’t still be #2 when Ash gets into the Master 8 until it’s confirmed otherwise.

The difference between the Master 8 and the other classes is that it is harder to progress through the ranks of the Master 8 because of the skill level of all the trainers there.

If I had to guess Cynthia is probably rank 3 or 4.

I agree about Cynthia being #3 or #4.

Actually, I would kind of expect a somewhat-important-to-the-plot Gen 8 character to be #3 and Cynthia could be #4. Anything lower than 4 is too low for Cynthia.

Chano

Literally just created this account to post this here.

Molayne: "Togedemaru's Ability is Lightning Rod. It can attract electricity to itself. But...the current is too strong! There's no way Togedemaru's electric sacs can handle all of it!"
That's pretty much what happened in this episode.
10MVTB defeating Electivire makes perfect sense.

Last edited:

CupidKirby

The first like 70% of this fight was absolutely amazing. I could feel the tension from Ash getting overwhelmed by tactic after tactic that Volkner threw at him. The last 30% after Lucario beat Rotom Fan felt rushed though. Then when Pikachu used 10,000,000 volt thunderbolt all the way until the end was fantastic. It's a shame that we didn't get that Sun and Moon OST but oh well. I'd give this episode a solid 8/10.

I think it's really obvious who started watching Pokemon during XY/Z or SM. They're the ones complaining about how this fight can't function with its animation. I remember the good old days of BW / DP / Johto / OS animation-- I mean moving still frames ;) Journeys animation overall hasn't been bad. It just hasn't been a masterpiece of sakuga like some of those XY/Z and SM episodes. Journeys has pretty standard "aight" animation of 2021 anime.

*sighs* at this point idc anymore about it. There wasnt alot of strategy in this battle
What are you talking about? There was tons of strategy.

Thunderwave + Hex

Paralyzation from Thunder Punch + Hex

Predicting the Thunderbolt from Pikachu and switching out so Electivire can get the Motor Drive boost

Reversal at low HP

Electroweb to slow down Rotom Fan

Electric Terrain + Wild Charge

Given it's not the type of strategy that we're used to seeing in the anime with Pikachu spin countering or running on top of roll out but it's still strategy. I'd say this episode showed off more of the type of strategy that people would use in the game rather than the anime. I wish we could've seen more from Ash but Volkner was a whole mystery box of them.

Dragonsoldier77

Bittersweet Satisfaction
I think it's really obvious who started watching Pokemon during XY/Z or SM. They're the ones complaining about how this fight can't function with its animation. I remember the good old days of BW / DP / Johto / OS animation-- I mean moving still frames ;) Journeys animation overall hasn't been bad. It just hasn't been a masterpiece of sakuga like some of those XY/Z and SM episodes. Journeys has pretty standard "aight" animation of 2021 anime.

What are you talking about? There was tons of strategy.

Thunderwave + Hex

Paralyzation from Thunder Punch + Hex

Predicting the Thunderbolt from Pikachu and switching out so Electivire can get the Motor Drive boost

Reversal at low HP

Electroweb to slow down Rotom Fan

Electric Terrain + Wild Charge

Given it's not the type of strategy that we're used to seeing in the anime with Pikachu spin countering or running on top of roll out but it's still strategy. I'd say this episode showed off more of the type of strategy that people would use in the game rather than the anime. I wish we could've seen more from Ash but Volkner was a whole mystery box of them.

Gee, way to paint with broad strokes. I guess i must've imagined my childhood in the 90s then.

As for the strategy thing, quite a few people were discussing it in the context of ash. Look at that list you made yourself, it's virtually all from volkner. Reversal at low health can't even be called strategy, more like desperation. Ash usually counters the opponents strategy with his own clever ones, but this time he definitely just brute forced it.

Chano

Ah yes, Togedemaru, well-known for powering entire cities - must've missed that lore drop somewhere along the line, silly me

Also Motor Drive =/= Lightning Rod
Togedemaru and Electivire are not the same, but a simple Vikavolt machine and literally the strongest move ever seen in the anime are not the same things either. The point of my post is that there's canonically a limited amount of electricity a Pokémon can absorb, doesn't matter if it's Motor Drive, Lightning Rod or Volt Absorb

AJ97

Volkner is one of the best opponents Ash has ever battled. He showed a battling style made of skills, amazing game mechanic adaptions and intelligent strategy. While the battle was slightly lower than 10/10, I still got hyped while watching Volkner battling in such an amazing way.
In battles in general, Ash is the one who gets the praise for his strategies and having Volkner battle like today, certainly gives me hope that the rest of the PWC battles will hopefully be even more impressing.

And Cynthia FTW!!!
Finally, someone who also sees it the same way as I do. Personally, I found this battle really Amazing and arguably even one of Ash's best battles to date. The constant switching in between, Volkner displaying a lot of technical skills (From an anime stand point), and initially dominating the battle and there was also the right mix of the power of friendship plot bit towards the end with Pikachu overpowering Electivire with the Z-Move. Personally, a top 5 battle to date for me.

I agree about Cynthia being #3 or #4.

Actually, I would kind of expect a somewhat-important-to-the-plot Gen 8 character to be #3 and Cynthia could be #4. Anything lower than 4 is too low for Cynthia.
I don't think the rank necessarily corresponds to skills. Maybe Cynthia could've simply joined the tournament a little late which corresponds to her being lower ranked. I mean, Iris is a Regional Champion and she was in the Super Class.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Ah yes, Togedemaru, well-known for powering entire cities - must've missed that lore drop somewhere along the line, silly me

Pokedex entries are known to be exaggerated at times, cause have we ever seen a normal machamp move a mountain with 1 hand?

The point from the video is still valid enough though, electivire couldn't absorb all that power being thrown at it.

considering that Pikachu destroyed a giant rock golem along with the legendary that summoned it, I would've been surprised honestly if Electivire did survive the attack.

I get that people aren't happy about it being another game violation, but unless you skipped SM, you must've seen and known of the power of destruction that move is capable of, it was just too much for electivire to handle, and that is why it lost plain and simple.

Soniman

Break the Limit
Finally sat down and watched this, was mostly satisfied with how things played out. Yeah Ash mostly relied on his guts and instinct to win here but I don't have to much of an issue with it here because Volkner was always keeping him on his toes with the constant counters and switching (GOD I missed smart switching). Loved how he baited Ash into a thunderbolt before switching in Electivire to get the motor drive ability that's so smart and cool. Loved the atmosphere it felt so intense and grand and the finale was really good, really enjoyed the idea of Ash meeting this Electric type gym leader on the battlefield with their strongest electric move, I always appreciate that kind of "battle language" when used.

Only parts I didn't super care for was that quick Lucsrio/Luxray double knockout and Gengar getting the shsft, BUT Gengar managed to do a real good job before going down at the very least

So yah a really good introduction to the Hyper Class and probably my favorite JN battle, here's hoping they can keep up the momentum

British Soul

Top Hat Regulator
Not an essay time.
First of all, such a missed opportunity not having Flint not being present to watch the battle from the stands given he watched the previous battle between Ash/Volkner 517 episodes ago. Though I will say I'm not surprised Sunyshore Gym was completely revamped (Cerulean Gym was the same in SM), at least the seating area is the same colour as it was in DP, to be fair, the gym kinda needed to be repaired anyway after what Infernape did to it whilst under Blaze. Speaking of, when Volkner said that not much bewilders Luxray, my immediate thought was "Like Infernape under Blaze?". One thing I will say is that this is the first time I have seen the move Rising Voltage. When it was used, I was like "What the smeg is that move?" then I looked it up and it made sense why I had never seen it as it's an Isle of Armour move, but it showed strategy given that the move is 140 power under Electric Terrain and for the most part, strategy played a big part of the battle between Hex, Reversal, Volkner switching to Electivire against Pikachu, etc and it made the match enjoyable, even if it got rushed towards the end. The only thing I didn't like about the battle however was how it ended, I figured that the Z-Move would be the finisher, but I'd rather it was against Luxray as opposed to a pokemon who should've taken zero damage from it, but did so anyway because anime logic, but hey, Volkner's Electivire remains the only Electivire Pikachu can beat as the rodent defeated it in the gym battle in Sinnoh, having said that I completely forgot Pikachu defeated Electivire at time of watching the episode, I kept thinking about Paul's/Gary's regarding Pikachu's track record against the species. Mind you though, when Drone Rotom mentioned that Electric moves can't deal much damage to Electric-types, part of me wanted to "um actually" the drone considering Pikachu's elecric moves would deal neutral damage, now if this was Gen 4, that statement would be true as all Rotom formes were Electric/Ghost, and yes I was thinking that when Lucario used Reversal to KO Rotom. Finally I want to finish by saying that I am not surprised whatsoever that Cynthia is in the Masters 8 considering she is the Sinnoh champion and all. Furthermore, I find it interesting that Ash's first opponent in the Normal, Great and Ultra classes were against Electric-type users.

Last edited:

Pokemon Fan

Knuckle Trainer

The two abilities operate under the same principle of absorbing Electric attacks to buff a stat.

As for powering cities, that's plainly typical pokedex hyperbole. If Electivire could actually do that then the pokemon world would have little to no power generation issues. And if all dex entries were literal then Tyranitar would be invincible.

Last edited:

Morax

King of heroes
damn you weekly anime formats! Poor One Piece too (even if Wano looks godly, wow does it drag)
6Q2jz83_d.webp

Kungfu-Bear

I just can't believe Volkner actually used the Motor Drive trick thats used in turn-based battles in the games.
I've been wanting to see this since 2008! So glad for that, it was like a personal fanservice for me. lol

One of the best battles and best episodes in Journeys as expected.
Ash got a lot of pressure during the fight and all 3 of Denji/Volkner's Pokémon shined.
Volkner fought like a true professional Trainer, it's been a while since I've seen Ash so hard-pressed in an official battle.

I like to think that Ash and Pikachu used their experience fighting other Electivire in the series to be able to win this one, but... The entire battle was perfect until the Z-Move came along. I mean, I'm glad to see the 10kk Volt Tbolt again and the scene of Electivire trying to absorb the lightning was cool, but I thought it was too risky a gamble for Volkner to try to absorb a Z-Move. If it wasn't possible to dodge the attack then maybe it means that the Z-Move is an item that can open up too big an advantage, I'm not sure if that should be allowed in these official World Coronation battles. Besides, it seemed like a lazy way to end the fight. But anyway, it wasn't enough to ruin the fun.

9/10

Thanks OLM for doing justice to two of my favorite Pokémon (Lux and Vire) and give us an amazing Pokémon battle.

Ash's Gengar still a letdown though ):

Zero1999

The battle was nice and there definetly was a bit of tension once Lucario and Gengar started battling, though in one way or another Ash was gonna use the Z-move to overcome Electivire's ability, Volkner proved to be a challenge for Ash so considering that Cynthia and Lance are in the Master class this gives me hope that Ash could use some of his old Pokemon because the battles that are coming are gonna be really tough.

Hyped to see Lance vs Ash.

Yuugis Black Magician

Namaikina Imouto
The ending just speaks for itself. It's Satoshi, of course he would win through something rule-breaking. It's a part of his character! Satoshi is the young tiger who breaks through the rules of the world, so ending his battles with 10,000,000 Volts to overwhelm Electric Engine just makes sense!

Fun fact: Sogo Masashi-san wrote Satoshi's winning battle with Denji in DP while Tomioka Atsuhiro-san wrote this battle. While Sogo hasn't worked on Pokemon in a few years and Tomioka is no longer in charge of Series Composition Tomioka is in charge of Series Composition for Digimon Adventure:, the 2020 remake of the original series. Sogo is writing scripts for Tomioka on that series!

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
The two abilities operate under the same principle of absorbing Electric attacks to buff a stat.

As for powering cities, that's plainly typical pokedex hyperbole. If Electivire could actually do that then the pokemon world would have little to no power generation issues. And if all dex entries were literal then Tyranitar would be invincible.

someone even posted video evidence but don't worry about taking this post down.
If it wasn't possible to dodge the attack then maybe it means that the Z-Move is an item that can open up too big an advantage, I'm not sure if that should be allowed in these official World Coronation battles.

Why not ban all gimmicks by that logic?

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
I liked this episode very much. They wasted no time in getting to the battle and let the 3 vs 3 take the focus. The battle was televised like I hoped, and while I wanted to see Flint have a cameo, I was excited to see Cynthia!! So now we pretty much know that Leon, Lance, Raihan, Cynthia, Bea, and Ash will be 6 of the 8 Masters Eight.

We have 4 Champions and 2 Gym Leaders so far. I hope that for the final two, we get an Elite Four member and a Frontier Brain just to see some variety.

As for the actual battle, I loved the amount of switching. It was a very strategic battle that we don't get often due to the fact that many of the 3 vs 3's we get are against Gym Leaders that have rules that only allow the challenger to substitute Pokémon.

Paralysis and Hex was an awesome combination for Volkner to use and it's one I like using with Rotom as well. Plus the Electric Terrain and the electric type moves was a smart idea. Pretty fitting for a Gym Leader. Clemont would be proud.

While Gengar lost without a win, it did perform admirably and much better than what happened with Korrina. Even Volkner praised it for throwing Luxray off rhythm. It eventually allowed Lucario to draw with it, so at the end it was a team effort.

Lucario needs to take a page from Korrina's playbook and learn Bone Rush. That would have helped so much here. I do like how Reversal is pretty much a nod to how Lucario works in SSB where the more damage Lucario takes, the stronger it becomes. Whether it was intentional or not, idk, but I like it.

Pikachu always has a hard time against the Electivire family. This was no different. On a side note, I do like how Volkner made a note on how Pikachu learned Electro Web. He remembered Pikachu's moveset, maybe since he likes Electric-types. I have no problems with the Z-Move overpowering Motor Drive since in the anime, we have seen Electric-type Pokémon unable to absorb too much electricity, ability or not. The Z-Move was also able to KO Tapu Koko of all things. Honestly, if Electivire tanked it when Guardian of Alola wasn't able to withstand it, it would have been a bit weird.

I didn't like how much Ash jumped in the rankings but I guess it sorta makes sense? 99 vs 27 and 99 won. That's about an 8 stage difference if we go by 10s. So Ash only jumped up by 3 stages. If he had battled someone in the 40's or 50's we probably would have only jumped up to the 80's or something.

I hope that Ash gets his next appointment in about a month and a half or so irl.

Ryker101

THEY DON'T MISS

Hands down best PWC battle so far! Absolutely loved the setup, atmosphere, switching, matchups, strategies, animation and especially music here. They cut straight to the chase. So many cool moments, I can't list them all. Volkner is amazing man and was going all out. He was intimidating, calculating, humble, approachable all at once. You can tell he just wants a good fight. His relationship with Ash is different to most gym leaders, since Ash was the reason he got back into battling in the first place whilst he was able to push Infernape enough to master its blaze ability. Without Ash, Volkner wouldn't even be here. Also loved how Ash mentioned he brought back his Z ring specifically for him, shows just how much he respects Volkner and wants to give it his all as well. Even within the battle, Volkner was winning 1st half then Ash won 2nd half. Seriously thought that Ash was gonna lose at one point.

Glad to see my boy Lucario finally got his time to shine. It stings that Gengar hasn't had a win yet, but it actually makes sense here. Gengar's a wildcard, someone unpredictable who's high risk high reward. Against slower and stronger opponents (like Luxray and Raichu) he can throw them off with his agility and fast attacks. But when his opponent can match his speed and get a few good hits off, it's game over for him (like Electrode and Rotom). He's also pretty frail in game anyway. Besides he was still important, being able to weaken Luxray so Lucario could eventually draw with it (otherwise he would've just gone down to him).

Nitpicks wise:
- No appearance or mention of Flint (weird since other major PWC battles always had someone major there)
- They didn't mention Ash's champion status in his scoreboard
- Lucario vs Luxray draw felt rushed
- Gengar went down too quickly and didn't use shadow ball or dazzling gleam
- Still iffy on that motor drive vs z move, cause I don't think it'll win in game but overloading electric types makes sense
- 99 --> 64 is quite a bit (though there was a disparity in rank), albeit glad there's no offscreen jumps

But honestly between the stunning battle, return of
THEY DON'T MISS

Hands down best PWC battle so far! Absolutely loved the setup, atmosphere, switching, matchups, strategies, animation and especially music here. They cut straight to the chase. So many cool moments, I can't list them all. Volkner is amazing man and was going all out. He was intimidating, calculating, humble, approachable all at once. You can tell he just wants a good fight. His relationship with Ash is different to most gym leaders, since Ash was the reason he got back into battling in the first place whilst he was able to push Infernape enough to master its blaze ability. Without Ash, Volkner wouldn't even be here. Also loved how Ash mentioned he brought back his Z ring specifically for him, shows just how much he respects Volkner and isn't messing around. Even within the battle, Volkner was winning 1st half then Ash won 2nd half. Seriously thought that Ash was gonna lose at one point.

Glad to see my boy Lucario finally got his time to shine. It stings that Gengar hasn't had a win yet, but it actually makes sense here. Gengar's a wildcard, someone unpredictable who's high risk high reward. Against slower and stronger opponents (like Luxray and Raichu) he can throw them off with his agility and fast attacks. But when his opponent can match his speed and get a few good hits off, it's game over for him (like Electrode and Rotom). He's also pretty frail in game anyway. Besides he was still important, being able to weaken Luxray so Lucario could eventually draw with it (otherwise he would've just gone down to him).

Nitpicks wise:
- No appearance or mention of Flint (weird since other major PWC battles always had someone major there)
- They didn't mention Ash's champion status in his scoreboard
- Lucario vs Luxray draw felt rushed
- Gengar went down too quickly and didn't use shadow ball or dazzling gleam
- Still iffy on that motor drive vs z move, cause I don't think it'll win in game but overloading electric types makes sense
- 99 --> 64 is quite a bit (though there was a disparity in rank), albeit glad there's no offscreen jumps

But honestly between the stunning battle, return of Pikashunium-Z, Cynthia return and master class tease, this is one of my favourite Journeys episodes altogether. Between Vesiquez, Volkner, Clemont and even Tapu Koko, battles against electric trainers/pokemon have been absolute bangers in the series and this lives up to it for the most part. If this is how PWC is moving forward, it's gonna be great. 9/10.
-Z, Cynthia return and master class tease, this is one of my favourite Journeys episodes altogether. Between Vesiquez, Volkner, Clemont and even Tapu Koko, battles against electric trainers/pokemon have been absolute bangers in the series and this lives up to it for the most part. If this is how PWC is moving forward, it's gonna be great. 9/10.