• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Super-Electromagnetic Hyper Class Battle! (1166)

Pokemonfan5

Though we can all agree that we didn't expect Koko bombing the match so it wasn't really a personal stake until then...though it's even weirder that Kukui never was in a position to use his mysterious sixth Pokemon.

Also, had Ash lost to Volkner, wouldn't he rank back into the previous class?
I feel like repeating same thing over and over again, just like gym rematch Ash can have another PWC battle to get back and he can have rematch with Volkner like Bea while SM was ending so Ash don't have time for another rematch means he will failed to fulfill his promise just like in BW and XY/Z also Ash and Pikachu rivalry with Tapu Koko will be left unfinished which would be really bad specially for Pikachu who first time had a character arc in entire anipoke.

Before Tapu Koko it was personal battle for Torracat as his pride at stakes, except Infernape against Paul none of Ash Pokemons take their battle as seriously as Torracat did against Kukui's Incineroar, he was even disappointed in himself for not able to continue the battle after absorbing blast burn.

Last edited:

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
Except for Lucario. Sirfech'd also got 3 episodes, but that's nothing compared to the amount of exposure that Lucario gets.
Remind me, how many episodes did Lucario get during the latest season? How many battles did it fight before this one?

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Lucario still gets way more screentime than those four.

Well, Sirfech'd did get 3 episodes but that's not much compared to the amount of exposure Lucario gets.
Riolu was overexposed, yes, but Lucario has been practically a non-entity

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
If we want to make it fair, both Dragonite and Lucario share the shillmon spots. Lucario for appearances alone (even if the entire team hasn't done much though it does stick out as a sore thumb with all the relevant episodes so far (it even got a filler for itself, which Dracovish managed to secure one as well though it's the MIA party member before Gengar)). Dragonite for the cheap wins.

Some people can't really judge this because there's an overwhelming amount of episodes where they don't show enough. But still, what they do have still show favoritism.

Last edited:

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Screentime-hogging shillmon Lucario taking out two of Volkner's mons? Gengar biting the dust without accomplishing much? Electivire getting KO'd by a Z-move that's Electric-Type despite having an Electricity-absorbing ability? Geez, talk about a huge letdown.

These writers just keep getting worse at writing battles.
This is literally the worst hyperbole in this thread
Screenhogging? Nope. Might wanna relearn that meaning. Gengar didn't do much? Literally is the reason Luxray, a powerful Mon, was outmatched and tired out so Lucario could tie with it. I won't talk about the Electivire thing since it's been discussed to death but it's lore consistent
The writers aren't getting worse just because your arbitrary tastes aren't being satisfied. This was by all accounts still a well written and thought out battle
Ah yes, the Lucario with 0 wins should have jobbed.
Technically it had 2 wins before as it defeated Rose's 2 mons but yeah regardless, that prior comment makes zero sense
Lucario still gets way more screentime than those four.

Well, Sirfech'd did get 3 episodes but that's not much compared to the amount of exposure Lucario gets.
No he doesn't, which show are you watching? All 4 of them have gotten more screentime than Lucario in recent times with its last proper screentime being ep48.
Sirfetchd's arc was much more than what Lucario got in this series
Same with Dragonite
Gengar and Dracovish both have gotten more screentime than the jackal recently
Even trying to claim Lucario is screenhogging this series is a blatant lie and a disregard to that words actual meaning, and just because you have bias against a Mon doesn't mean the writers can't give it a proper showing. Jesus Christ

DigitalTrainer

Worried about everything
Alright watched the episode. It started out promising, a friendly chat between old friends/opponents and got right into the battle, no added distractions, and Gengar was performing excellently...then it the writers made him take another L, which got me royally angry. So I sat through the Lucario fights, still mad, but semi-pleased he got to show off his power. Than it was Electivire vs Pikachu, now I knew that Z-Move was coming up, but I also knew Electivire had Motor Drive, so one of two things would happen: Either Electivire absorbs the Z-Move and Pikachu just toughs it out and wins or the plot finds some way for 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt to break through Electivire's Ability. Unfortunately the latter happened, and I was reminded of all those other unorthodox, anime only stuff, which I hate when it happens. Electivire overloading with electricity, what kind of bogus reasoning is that? I didn't care if Ash used or continues to use a Z-Move to win, I do that a lot when I was play USUM, but I need it to be somewhat believable.

That kind of BS is an insult to Ash and Volkner, and the mark of a novice on the writer's part, not that that's anything new with the majority of Journeys.

I refuse to stop supporting Gengar though, and I'm just gonna support him even more than ever!

Side Note: As upset as I am that it beat Gengar, the Thunder Wave and Hex combo Rotom used was an absolute pro strategy as well as Luxray's Electric Terrain and Rising Voltage! I really wish Ash would use strategy's like these along with his usual style.

LucasMV

This episode got me hyped again for the PWC. The fact that they dedicated the whole episode to the battle, that the animation was better than what we had so far in this series, and all the nice strategies that were implemented on both sides... it took me by surprise how much I enjoyed this episode as a whole.

I don't like that Gengar didn't get a win, but he still did some solid damage to Luxray, making it possible for Lucario to knock it out later. So he did good despite not getting the win himself. Then Lucario's abilty to take damage is impressive, he really pulled through when Ash was starting to get overwhelmed by Volkner's T-Wave and Hex combo.

Then of course Pikachu did great against Electivire. I don't know what the general feel is, but I think Pikachu's Z-move defeating Electivire is not wrong. Motor Drive is not endless, there must be a limit to how much electricity it can absorb until it becomes too much. And Pikachu's Z-move, that defeated Tapu Koko once, was definitely too much. Makes total sense to me.

Then Cynthia's mention at the end all but confirms that Ash vs Cynthia in the Master Class is gonna happen. The battle every pokemon fan wanted to see since DP.

All in all, this episode was great and it got my hopes up again for the PWC. If Ash uses reserves against the top opponents (like Cynthia) then this can still be what I dreamed it could be. If not, it'd be a bit disappointing seeing Ash best the Champions with just his JN's team, but for now I'm hyped nonetheless.

deliaketchum

Towards the end of the episode Cynthia got snuck in for a cameo appearance.So that's what a total of 3 characters from DP that made a return to the series?So when the hell is Paul getting his return?
I think he will come by end of ultra class. I doubt writers will leave him given the popularity of paul.
It looks like writers are appeasing fandom and bringing most popular characters. This episode went directly into battle without wasting any time on goh captures was the result of people complaining in forums imo.
One of the only cases where I would argue someone actually playing completely unfair was with Tobias
His name literally had bias in it. What do you expect? He couldn't help it and no one can.

Last edited:

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
Alright watched the episode. It started out promising, a friendly chat between old friends/opponents and got right into the battle, no added distractions, and Gengar was performing excellently...then it the writers made him take another L, which got me royally angry. So I sat through the Lucario fights, still mad, but semi-pleased he got to show off his power. Than it was Electivire vs Pikachu, now I knew that Z-Move was coming up, but I also knew Electivire had Motor Drive, so one of two things would happen: Either Electivire absorbs the Z-Move and Pikachu just toughs it out and wins or the plot finds some way for 10,000,000 Volt Thunderbolt to break through Electivire's Ability. Unfortunately the latter happened, and I was reminded of all those other unorthodox, anime only stuff, which I hate when it happens. Electivire overloading with electricity, what kind of bogus reasoning is that? I didn't care if Ash used or continues to use a Z-Move to win, I do that a lot when I was play USUM, but I need it to be somewhat believable.
tbh it's not entirely nonsensical, my issue is moreso that it just feels too much like just pure brute force

Alright, so I rewatched the episode again with subs and the writing was much improved from even my " was just decent " view of it besides Gengar jobbing. Tons of strategies and the intense nature of the match was great. I don't mind the the Z-move overpowering Motor Drive at all, makes sense actually.

I do share nuzumaki's view of the battle that it felt like Ash was being manhandled because he was using inexperienced Pokemon, but this is a series wide problem for Journeys since its development of Pokemon has just been horrendous.

Unfortunately though, my perspective on the production side of it dropped even lower. The fluidity and impact just wasn't there in the animation at all for me. Felt slow and janky in a way that really dragged the pacing of the battle down. Pokemon like Gengar and Pikachu didn't move with the kind of energy that I felt they should have and the use of stills hurt the battle more than I thought it did before. There were so many instances of a Pokemon just sliding across the screen like paper when performing an attack. The effects animation was cool and there were some impact frames that I liked, but those aren't high up on the list out of things I want from Pokemon battles.

I wasn't a major fan of the Ash versus Bea battle, but in comparison with that, the former moved so much more and was much better in terms of animation. Even had a lot of cool rotation shots.

A pretty major disappointment for me since I was hyped for the animation.

Last edited:

Trillion

great episode

the battle started almost immediately and took up most of the episode
thunder wave strategy
electric terrain and rising voltage strategy
lucario's reversal on rotom
lucario's aura sphere on luxray
that final pika when pikachu finished the z-move
the battle overall was great. best battle of the 2019 series so far in my opinion
cynthia being in the master class isn't a surprise but i didn't expect it to be revealed here. i didn't expect her to actually get an appearance here either so that was cool

i don't think gengar did bad but it could have used a win
i don't get the complaints about ash using a z-move. i don't even like z-moves, most megas, or gigantamax but why wouldn't he use it if there are no rules against it?
the whole motor drive thing was slight bs but not the worst. probably would have been better to use the z-move on luxray

hopefully the next battle is soon