1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

A Surface to Air Tag Battle Team! (760)

Discussion in 'Pokémon Black & White - Adventures in Unova' started by Serebii, Oct 18, 2012.

1. Lorde

Lorde Banned

I really liked the setting of this episode; the crop area was refreshing. I wasn't pleased with the actual battle, though. I really wanted Ash and Cilan to struggle, but they ended up cruising through the whole thing. Not to mention how strange it was to have a battle completed during the first ten minutes of an episode. That must be a first. Aside from that, there was nothing else of interest in this episode, unless you're a fan of Buizel and Corphish I guess. For all intents and purposes, this episode was pure filler imo.

2. Why is this a problem? Fifteen years and people complain he dexes his old Pokemon. It's just a show, deal with it.

3. Caseydia

Caseydia Ace Trainer

You really are getting under my skin. I have no problem with dexing Pokemon. However, I would feel better if someone else would dex the older pokemon so it doesn't seem like Ash is so stupid that he looks like he needs to go through Kanto again for the third time.

4. Why are you letting something so trivial get to you? How does that make Ash stupid, it makes no sense.

5. gohan5

gohan5 Irisboy

But the fact that he recognized them before dexing them isn't enough to prove he remembers them and isn't stupid? I just think people are making too much out of nothing for an obvious nod to the older fans. Ash isn't stupid, he wants to learn more about the Pokemon, can't fault him for that.

6. PokeMaster366

PokeMaster366 Well-Known Member

The writers must really think that their viewers are as dense as Ash if they're going to have him Dex every single Pokemon he runs into. It's actually pretty insulting.

Just saw the trailer for the episode after this one, and honestly, it just kills my fanfic. Doesn't it seem weird at all that an evolution line labeled to eat and attack everything in sight for the lulz and competition can manage to live in a village without blowing up a house or two?

7. gliscor&yanmega

gliscor&yanmega Well-Known Member

Ash isn't the one coming off stupid here, the ones who think he is are simply ignorant. Ash did recall them before dexing them(Not his, but he knew the species of the Pokemon regardless), so he is forgetting what they are, he's simply excited and wanting to see any new data on them. It's the people who blow these situations out of proportion and make them into something they aren't that's the problem, not the writers or Ash.

It's more insulting for people to think everyone who is watching the show has been watching since the start and hence would know all the Dex entires right off the back, which isn't true. New people come into the show and franchise all the time, that's what the dex is for, the new people.

Also, Ash doesn't do it every single time.

EDIT: And frankly, I doubt most people even remember what the dex says most of the time anyways. Along with it being for new people, it's also to give more focus on a Pokemon so people will pay more attention and use it in the games, after all, a decent amount of people end up using the Pokemon that are shown off in the anime.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  8. Cloud_Arcanine

Cloud_Arcanine Scarlett starlett

I'm not being harsh here, but you seem to be taking everybody else in here who has a shared opinion in a more serious way. This is the just the Japanese airing, once it gets dubbed people might have a better understanding. We're just saying that if it were the twins asking Ash to dex Buizel and Corphish it wouldn't make him look bad. We're not being arrogant, it's just that Ash has seemed to forget all his other journeys and him dexing Pokemon he owns is just a part of that.

9. Nothing in the show says he forgot his past region ventures considering everyone of them contined right after the last episode of each saga.

10. JennaJayfeather

JennaJayfeather jflkdjkfgjafgaf

When I was younger (and didn't have the games) I needed the Pokedex to know about the Pokemon and stuff. It doesn't seem helpful now, but really it is for younger kids/people who don't know about Pokemon.

I don't care if Ash scans something he already owns. XD I just get bored when I hear the dex entries these days because I don't need to hear them. I fastforward. xDD I think the only one I liked was Crustle's just because of Dento peeking over Ash's should with a 8D face on. XDDD

11. gliscor&yanmega

gliscor&yanmega Well-Known Member

But again, Ash doesn't forget, and anything that "seems" to be the case is simply personal ignorance. Ash didn't in any way come off as forgetting what Buizel and Corphish were, he knew what they were. The Pokedex simply isn't just to know what a Pokemon is, it gives you data on it. People simply blow these scenes out of proportion and make it seem themselves that Ash is forgetting and the writers are sucking.

Plus, the fact a lot of Pokedex entries hype Pokemon up, the kids and new people are going to be more influenced by that hype and get more excited. I mean if you hear that a big giant Bird can carry a car while flying, wouldn't you have a little more interest in that, it's not every day you hear about giant Birds flying with cars after all(I don't know if that part of the dex entry was used or not, just an example, although any part of it's dex entry really is enough for enough people to get hyped up on it).

12. Sapphire Kirby

Sapphire Kirby Evaluation time!

If that is truely the case then I will be a bit more forgiving, but I don't appreciate being insulted for believing somethingthat think is a problem that you don't.

From what I can tell, the people who explain why they don't like all this redexing stuff know and don't care about the real world reason, but rather than in-universe reasons, me included. Even if Ash doesn't do it everytime, the fact that somepeople are unhappy means that he doesn't use his dex sparingly. And thank you for insulting me :|

Maybe not now, but when BW1 first aired, this pretty believable, especially since the only connectioned are a character in an unaired episode and Oak mentioning Tracy once. Remember the "this is/isn't a reboot" threads?

13. I can't bekieve you're letting a childern's show 'insult' you. And Best Wishes isn't a reboot, just because Ash doesn't have a confirm age and it being a reboot is proven wrong in episode one when you see all the stuff he got from Sinnoh, so it is not a reoot.

14. Sapphire Kirby

I can't believe you are on a Pokemon forum if you are just going to keep on throwing that "its a kids show so we should not complain about it" excuse. I know pokemon is a kids show, but that does not prevent me from discussing it or forming oppinions on it. I am allowed to like and dislike what I want about this show.

And I never said I thought it was a reboot; only that in the early days people thought it might be. You are preaching to the choir, hero.

15. Forum or not, it shouldn't be such a big deal over a show. Why don't you not take it so seriously and I won't have to preach to a chior.

16. Sapphire Kirby

The point of a forum is to discuss. I'm trying to discuss and explain mypoint of view, and so are other people. Telling us that it is pointless to do show not only adds nothing to the discussion, but also is an insult to well written childrens shows that create many discussions, good and bad (whether Pokemon itself counts is a debate in itself, but that is not important). If you don't want to preach, well, you will have tpo solve that priblem on your own.

17. HatersGonnaHate

HatersGonnaHate Throwing Shade

There's waaaaay too much sensitivity around here. Some of you are under the impression that Ash should have an entitlement to know everything about Corphish and Buizel and scanning them is an insult. Do you not know how this show works?

18. RickHoenn

RickHoenn Banned

I think you're overreacting to something so trivial.. How on earth Ash dexing a pokemon is such a big insult to fans? people are seriously reaching and trying to find little new things to whine about..

19. I know how forums work, I'm not stupid, it's like gilscor said, most of you are taking this way out of proportion. And nothing, not even children's shows is going to be 'well written', even the best shows have flaws.

20. Sushi

Sushi unspecified Staff Member Super Mod

...But seriously people, let it go. We've established that Ash recognized the Pokémon before he dex'd them. He didn't forget anything.

If you still have issues with the dexing in general I'm sorry, but this isn't really the place to discuss it, because 1) it only concerns a titzy-tiny fragment of the episode that had no impact on its plot whatsoever, and 2) the people debating the issue clearly don't seem interested in the episode but are using this as a ploy to discuss The Dexing Dilemma as a whole. Not accusing anyone of doing this intentionally, but I'd still appreciate it if it stopped.

If someone is so fired up about this topic that they can provide me (PM/VM) with reasons as to why the FAQ's explanation isn't satisfactory and why a debate would be warranted, I might be willing to reopen this thread. Either way though, this thread will be spared from squabbles in the future. Thanks.

---

The episode was nice. Not as good as last week's, of course, but it was definitely all right. It may have suffered a little from reused dialogue/footage and characters being a little too annoying in general, though.

Cilan's "beautifooo" and "unbelievabooo" and "my rod" 8) made me chuckle; his inputs were good, but I wish they spread out his lines a little more. The talking was balanced in the beginning of the episode, but when Cilan started his tasting time, Ash and Iris somehow went mute for several minutes and even the twins, the ones he was talking to, barely uttered a word. It annoyed me just a little bit, to be honest. Cilan isn't as over-the-top as Barry or Bianca, but he's still one of those characters whose humor needs to be taken in small doses.

Had similar problems with the twins. Their basic personalities were okay and their voices great, as well as their Pokémon and their combination attacks. But I really don't feel like listening to a mini speech every time a move is called out, especially if said speeches always have the same structure with only a few keywords replaced.

My favorite moments were Cilan recalling his brothers (so we actually see them on-screen!), plus him and Ash trying to invent names for their combinations and Iris telling them that they both sounded lame. Both funny and simultaneously bizarre was Iris' reasoning when she said that Cilan was a more suitable tag partner for Ash, based on the fact that he has siblings. O...kay? Cilan isn't Ash's brother, so what does it matter? Kodomo ne. But thank you for providing more A/C tag screentime, I appreciate it 8D

I also thought it was a nice touch that the episode ended on a slightly questionable note, with Cilan lamenting that Swanna & Palpitoad would've been better choices for Soran & Riiku and the group just shrugging it off in a "lol who cares let's get outta here" manner. Similarly to last week's ep, I like it when an episode ends without the perfect solution to a problem and with everyone being 100 % happy about the way things turned out.