• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Sweeping Sun Team

I have always been a rain dance guy. I've always liked it. But in this new gen, I've felt the need to try a sun team, and this is my attempt. Any suggestions will be appriciated.

Ninetails @ Focus Sash / Wide Lens
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 SpDef
Nature: Modest
- Wil-O-Wisp
- Solarbeam
- Hypnosis
- Protect

Ninetails is here simply to set up some golden rays, but I wanted him to be able to do some damage if that's what it came down to. Wil-O-Wisp to burn and Protect to let the damage pile up. Hypnosis to force a switch. Solarbeam requires no charging and can take care of most of his weaknesses (water, rock, ground). Really he's going to be an in-and-out kind of guy though.

Darmanitan @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Nature: Jolly
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide
- Hammer Arm
- Earthquake

Darmanitan is a BEAST! A Sheer Forced, STAB and sun boosted Flare Blitz will do close to 75% damage to a Kingdra. Add Life Orb on top of that, and GOOD GOD! I love all out power so this moveset really tickles my fancy, but Flare Blitz is the killer here.

Volcarona @ Leftovers
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Nature: Timid
- Bug Buzz
- Firey Dance
- Morning Sun
- Quiver Dance

One of my new favorite pokemon, Volcarona is a killer. After a Quiver Dance there isn't much that can't be killed by this freak. Bug Buzz and Firey Dance for STAB moves, and Morning Sun restores a ton of health in the sun.

Blaziken @ Wide Lens
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Nature: Jolly
- Flare Blitz
- High Jump Kick
- Brave Bird
- Protect

I love the new and improved Blaziken. Speed Boost makes him a great sweeper. Flare Blitz and his new best move High Jump Kick are destructive. I'm not sure about Brave Bird. I put it there because it was really strong, but two recoil moves may be too much. Any suggestions for that move will be great. That's why I may go with Leftovers. Protect to net me a few extra Speed Boosts.

Chandelure @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Solarbeam
- Psychic

I really like this guy too. Fire Blast gets the STAB and sun boosts, Shadow Ball gets STAB, and Solarbeam, again, needs no charging. Psychic is just a filler so any suggestions are welcome.

Rotom (Heat) @ Absorb Bulb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split

This is my Earthquake blocker as he is the only fire type immune to ground. Overheat gets the boosts and Thunderbolt gets STAB. Shadow Ball is one of the only other good offensive moves he learns, and Pain Split is just fun.

Well there it is. Let the sun shine in!

Last edited:

Quilava2

Flaming Ninja
Hurricane only has 50% accuracy in the sun. Try changing it to HP Water or Ground.

Thebritains

Soul Searchin'
Or give it Psychic, it adds to its coverage and lets you take out Fighting Pokemon

a rhyperior which has gotten off a rock polish or two kills your entire team. I suggest adding at least one grass type... Jumpluff maybe? sleep powder and chlorophyll is just evil. Sceptile doesn't receive much benefit from the sun, but it's neutral to rock and resists ground, can learn solarbeam, and serves as a really nasty surprise when loaded up with physical attacks. try those.

Mr.Karp

@ Thick Club
For the Ninetails, use Energy Ball in-case you run into any rain teams. (Politoad is slower so it gets Rain > Sun.) Also, give it Choice Specs for some actual sweeping powers. Also, I suggest getting a Vaporeon or Gastrodon in there. They absorb water and can be your counter to other weather teams. You also may wanna try at least 1 grass sweeper to get waters off your back. As for Blaziken, High Jump Kick missing will REALLY deal some damage to you. Give it a wide lens so missing doesn't happen as much. Other then that, you may wanna get a SR or Spiker to break Focus Sashes. GL with you team. XD

Last edited:
I love all of these suggestions. Rock Slide sounds good, I hadn't actually done the math. For Volcarona, I did decide to take Hurricane off (didn't think about the accuracy drop, thanks) and put in Morning Sun. I may go with the Status inducing Ninetails instead of what I had up there. As for adding a grass type to the team, who should I kick off to make room? Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Mr.Karp

@ Thick Club
I love all of these suggestions. Rock Slide sounds good, I hadn't actually done the math. For Volcarona, I did decide to take Hurricane off (didn't think about the accuracy drop, thanks) and put in Morning Sun. I may go with the Status inducing Ninetails instead of what I had up there. As for adding a grass type to the team, who should I kick off to make room? Thanks again for all the suggestions.

I'd say to kick off either Chandelure or Blaziken. Probably Chandelure because you already have 3 special attackers.

Witch of 'Cos

i love the pee pees
when ninetails is on the field but a sun team is not about that one pokemon being on the field, its about taking advantage of the weather condition when its not

Smogon's description of the Drought ability said:
When this Pokémon is brought out, a permanent sun covers the battlefield. It can only be removed by bringing out a Pokémon with Drizzle, Sand Stream, or Snow Warning, or by using Rain Dance, Sandstorm, or Hail. When two or more Pokémon with any of the weather abilities switch in at the same time, the slower Pokémon's ability will take place.

If you're going to try and rate, at least learn the basics first -_-

not doing a full rate, but put U-turn on Darmanitan, probably over Hammer Arm as you really don't want to be lowering your speed like that.