• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Three Team Scheme (303)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
A Three Team Scheme!

While Training on Dewford Island, Ash & Co. find Professor Birch of Littleroot Town. He appears to be doing some field study. However in doing so, they find a Secret Base. However Team Magma, Team Aqua & Team Rocket all have their eyes set on this base!

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Team Magam and Aqua in the anime is something I shall never get tired of. Apart from the two real villains, this was a great episode to show off Nincada and Secret Power. It would've been awesome for Nincada to evolve, and the boy gets a Nincada AND a Shedinja out of nowhere!! Ingame reference is always welcome in the anime!

Overall rating:
9.0 out of 10!!
Excellent filler!! Probably the best we've had in a LONG time(and last).

Heracross

Custom User Title
That is extremely odd. The first thing I thought of was that maybe they needed something to do to earn their paycheck, but since they appearently make their fair share of edits in One Piece it is truly baffling why they would need any extra work on Pokémon. Maybe since Pocket Monsters don't have much Japanese text or anything anymore, 4Kids' digital artists still feel the need to change stuff so they just do pointless things like this. At least they did a good job I guess.=/

V

vulpix

in this episode i was actually rooting for team magma even though neither team found anything.

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I almost prefer the name "Harland" for Tabitha. I think the whole "I'm a villian because I have a lame real name" thing is a bit overdone on TV (well, the name *is* beautiful for a girl, but anyway...). I also wish that Team Magma and Team Aqua had more to do in this episode besides bicker and make a location mistake.

I did like Team Rocket in this episode. :) It was funny how Jessie kept insisting Cascoon was a silcoon, and James and Meowth were very worried. At least things turned out for the best in the next episode. I liked how Giovanni came on the screen right in the middle of James and Meowth's conversation too. LOL Nincada was a pretty interesting pokemon too, and I wish we'd seen more of it on the show to date.

PAK Man

http://www.bulbagarden.net/~dogasu/comparisons/houen/ep027.html

Any guesses as to why 4Kids decided to edit the dolls out of Keanu's room?

I know in later comparisons on your site you've mentioned a law prohibiting real products in TV shows. Perhaps this is why they were painted over? They did a horrible job with that Relicanth, though.

I know everybody gets mad at 4Kids for forgetting that Harlan should be Tabitha and Isabel should be Shelly, but I think they deserve a break. I had never heard of Tabitha and Shelly when this episode aired, and I'm sure they had never, either. It's an honest mistake that anybody could have made.

Although, I personally am not a fan of this episode. The dubbing errors, and the way Nincada's name is pronounced (I still say it's pronounced Nin-Cay-Da, not Nin-Cah-Da) really bothered me. Also, this episode suggests that something major will happen with the Cave of Origin, yet nothing ever happens with that.

JONNO.FRESH

I loved this epi. An Awesome filler. Team Magma/Aqua where kool

Awesome, a Secret Base epsiode, which was cool with Nincada in it too. Team Magma/Aqua's appearance was nice

Cobalt_Latios

I just rewatched this somewhere. I have a few things to say, but first I didnt even realize about the edits. But if wanted to prohite "real" products, why the heck did they do that? I mean, those "dolls" cant be bought anywhere in real life. They're just decorations you can buy ingame.

Now, I must say that Keanu's voice kept reminding me of Misty(at least it sounded somewhat like her, but with a more boyish sound to it). Not only that, but I'm curious to know why 4kids decided to initially have screwed up translations for the blue orb and the red orb, and the screw ups with the names. Odd how they only changed their names during the episodes: "Gaining Groudon" and "The Scuffle of Legends". Unless of course this was just introducing them and because it's roughly 1 and a half seasons till we see them together again, they must have been trying to get away with it using bad memory.

Otherwise, a pretty decent episode. I find it odd that Hidden Power looked more like Hyper Beam, but then again, the animators seem to change the appearance of the attacks every season.

~C_L~

PAK Man

I mean, those "dolls" cant be bought anywhere in real life. They're just decorations you can buy ingame.

I think there are Pokemon stuffed animals available that look similar to them. Keep in mind, they also edited out cards that looked similar to the TCG.

Now, I must say that Keanu's voice kept reminding me of Misty(at least it sounded somewhat like her, but with a more boyish sound to it).

I believe Keanu was played by Rachael Lillis, so you're right about that.

Not only that, but I'm curious to know why 4kids decided to initially have screwed up translations for the blue orb and the red orb, and the screw ups with the names. Odd how they only changed their names during the episodes: "Gaining Groudon" and "The Scuffle of Legends".

Actually, the names were corrected in Fight for the Meteorite. This episode was the only one where Tabitha and Shelly were referred to as Harlan and Isabel.

I thought it was okay, but it needed more Team Aqua vs. Team Magma action. I thought it was a good time to introduce Secret Bases though.

Battra

Nice episode, liked seeing the Secret Base referenced although I wouldn't really consider Keanu's base a secret since it had a door and lights inside a well dug out cave. Interesting that 4Kids edited out Pokemon Dolls when they should be perfectly fine and it certainly may have helped marketing more of the real life dolls if they'd left them in.

Last edited:

(s.i.e)

★skydragon★
although it needed a bit more action between the rivals i can't say i have something to complain about, 8/10.

Tadashi

kiss my greens
The tagline that Serebii posted... ugh, sounds dirty to me XD Especially that last line.

Why yes, I can make a sexual reference out of anything! :D

The episode itself was sadly rather forgettable (read: outshadowed by Scuffle of Legends"). But at least Professor Birch was there! He's cool :D

Hibachi

Grass Pokemon Expert
I was really surprised to see Professor Birch doing research in Dewford Island. I really liked Keanu's secret base. I don'blame him for screaming at everyone though since they were invading his privacy. It was too bad Keanu got his Nincada stolen though. It is funny how Jessie still thinks she has a Silcoon when she really has a Cascoon. Team Magma and Team Aqua really surprised me. Especially since they were going after the same thing at the same time. It was sad that Keanu's secret base got destroyed but atleast he got his Nincada back. It was interesting to see what Team Magma and Team Aqua was looking for, as their searches were both failures.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
An intro on Secret Bases and the appearance all all three evil teams in one episode. Nice. And Nincada's debut too I guess, though it was overshadowed by other events. What I hated about this episode was that the dub got a bunch of names wrong despite them being in the games. I'm talking about people like Team Aqua's Shelly and the Orbs which were named incorrectly. Grr. 5/10.

Last edited: