• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A treatise on how the contests work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eszett

one love
This guide is accurate insofar as the theories discussed here. I am not sure about certain values, especially in the Dancing section.

And, without further ado, I present you my guide.

STRUCTURE OF SUPER CONTESTS
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Super Contests are divided into three parts: a Visual Competition, a Dancing Competition, and an Appeals Competition. The Visual Competition consists of dressing up your Pokemon based on a certain theme using a limited number of accessories and being judged on this theme and the Pokemon's status in the given category. The Dancing Competition consists of creating DDR-style "dance" routines using either the D-Pad, the ABXY buttons, or some buttons provided on the touch screen. The Appeals Competition involves using the Pokemon's moves to gain the favor of judges; each move has a different contest category and effect. These sections are graded by the computer independently of each other.

GRADING THE VISUAL CONTEST
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The contestants are provided with a theme which they must match when dressing up their Pokemon. Each element in the

Scoring is based on accruing favors from the audience, which is represented as an integer value. The user is informed of this value by the number of hearts that pop up from the audience when the Pokemon is presented. The total is tallied up as relative to the highest scorer, which earns a value of 1. All other scores are calculated by dividing the number of hearts they received by the number of hearts attained by the maximum.

GRADING THE DANCING COMPETITION
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

For each step in the dance routine, the entrants may receive a rating of Excellent, Good, or Miss.

For the lead dancer, an Excellent is attained when performing any dance maneuver on-beat. A Good is attained if the user steps slightly off-beat. If the entrant is completely off-beat, it gets a Miss and the dance step is recorded as being "on" the closest beat available at the time. If the entrant does not dance the maximum number of steps, the remaining steps are recorded as Misses.

For the following dancers, this same principle applies; however, they must also match up with the type of maneuver to receive any score. Dancing the wrong step will result in a Miss regardless of timing.

For the purposes of grading, the entirety of the dance routine results are summed together for each entrant. Each Excellent earns 2 points; each Good earns 1 point, and each Miss earns 0 points. Like the Visual Competition, the highest scorer is given a value of 1 and all other entrants are scored relative to the leader.

GRADING THE APPEALS COMPETITION
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Appeals Competition consists of four turns where the entrants accrue a certain number of points, represented in the game as hearts.

Each entrant must appeal to one of three judges each turn. At the end of the turn, the entrants receive a bonus based on the number of appeals that were made to their judge that turn. If only one entrant appealed to a certain judge, that entrant receives three extra points. If a judge saw two appeals, each appealer receives two hearts. For three appealers, each one receives a single heart, and if all appealers appeal to the same judge, none of them receive bonus points.

Each judge has a tally of enthusiasm, referred to in the game as Voltage, which increases when an entrant appeals to them with a move of the same type of the contest in question and decreases when the entrant uses one of the two "opposite types" of that contest. Using a "parallel type" move will result in no change to the judge's voltage. When any one judge receives five Voltage, the entrant who gave them the fifth voltage point receives a bonus of five hearts (eight if the judge is Dexter). Certain moves will prevent the voltage from either rising or falling from any circumstance for the duration of the turn, and certain moves cause the voltage of all the judges to fall.

After four turns of appeals, the game calculates the total for each entrant and assigns the highest value to 1. All other final scored are factored against this highest value as in the other competitions.

CALCULATING THE FINAL SCORE
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Each score is considered independently along the same dimension; that is to say, while the results of all competitions are summated by the game, each individual rating is still attached to the subcontest from which it derives. The user is shown the results of each competition in a horizontal bar graph. The individual sections of the bar are represented as coming from their contest of origin; the Visual section is colored blue, the Dancing section is colored green, and the Appeals section is colored red.

Profesco

gone gently
As much as this inspires the question "Why?" I think it must still help to make better coordinators. Now if the successful ones who read this would offer some suggestions...

Romke

Dutch Trainer
This was pretty usefull. I read some things I didnt knew yet

Yonowaru in Chaos

gaspard de la nuit
Wow, this is good. It seems a bit brief, but contests were never THAT complex anyway...

Just one question: What about the smily faces and the frowny faces that appears when it reaches the pokemon's turn in the appeals round?

Hydrohs

安らかに眠ります、岩田さん。
Staff member
Super Mod
Wow, this is good. It seems a bit brief, but contests were never THAT complex anyway...

Just one question: What about the smily faces and the frowny faces that appears when it reaches the pokemon's turn in the appeals round?

That's because someone else already performed for that Judge, it says it in the game xD

pieprsn

<<futurekingofearth
cool guide, very intullectual indeed. I just wanted to ask how you think the game decides how many hearts u get by your accesories, like, why does a cape do better than a pink fluff, thats all. Still, cool guide
(IM TRIN to get ma 2nd master ribbon with a sceptile, the master ranks own me exept in beutyX3)

Icy Death

Freeze. Now.
The Visual contest is always the funnest in my opinion. I always go to the massage girl and plant berries to get more stuff. Now I have so many cool accessories. I personally like the Mirror Ball and Flames so I use them every contest no matter what the theme. Then I'm pretty much bored the rest of the contest because it just gets old and repeatitive.

kittylitter

thanks a lot very helpful

Icy Death

Freeze. Now.
Just a question, on the dance competition, whenever I am leading, I never have good dance steps. It always says Miss for the first two and then usually a Good. Any good combo I should be doing? Or am I just plain unlucky?

Blazios

Say NO for bumping topics!

... and it happened a long time ago...

Closed.

Well, to be fair, it's not actually been a month since the last post (I apologise if that's considered minimodding). But bumping is still bad.

This really clarified some things for me while it was first open and for that I'm thankful.

Status
Not open for further replies.