• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Trip Down Memory Train (891)

Serebii

And, as if by magic, the webmaster appeared...
Staff member
Admin
A Train Revisited! Clemont and Bunnelby!!

On their way to Anistar City, Ash & co. get ambushed by Team Rocket in a forest. While they managed to thwart Team Rocket, they ended up stuck in one of their classic pitfalls. While trying to work their way back up out of the ground, Bonnie notes that something similar has happened to her and Clemont before. That was the time that they met Bunnelby...

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Janovy

Banned
A great episode for both Clemont and Bunnelby.

Bunnelby was even more fleshed out and I now consider it one of the more interesting Pokémon in the XY cast (thank God they finally remember that Bunnelby can be interesting, only if they try to give it screentime and use that screentime wisely). And I think it was great that Clemont got an episode where he could work independently and without help from Ash or Serena - this was solely his and Bonnie's episode.

AND LOL@Bonnie teasing Clemont about crying when he caught Bunnelby. It's okay to cry, Clemont. :D

Navin

MALDREAD
Mal's Review-

Pros:

* Sibling dynamic +1

* Clemont intervening hearkening later to when he Aipom Arm'd Delphox's Flamethrower for Chespin

* Bunnelby smashing a concrete slab onto the Diggersby's head +1

* Top kek, a treadmill-powered train...okay Clemont

* Aww Clemont crying for Bunnelby

Cons:

* Ah yes, the classic 'misunderstood' Pokemon trope

* Filler/Sort of not filler?

* Better late than never? But this episode could have been placed way earlier. A backstory episode for Bunnelby here doesn't really add all that much this far into the series..

Thoughts:

* So Bunnelby was naturally strong beforehand...that explained the first episode battle

* Of course, another Pikachu vs ****ish Raichu reenactment, this time with lagomorphs!

* Literally felt like the writers thought 7 months ago, "Oh hey, all the other Pokemon in this group have had capture episodes and/or backstories, except for Bunnelby! Let's add one here."

* Also felt like the writers decided that Bonnie/Clemont need to get their obligatory focus episodes before the series shifts to Serena's triple episode fest and then to the Ash/Alain-centric XY&Z arc

Eh, a pleasant episode, but I didn't care all too much for what happened beforehand after 88 episodes

3-4/10

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Told you so. That fat bunny would get redeemed.

Meh, the episode was great for Bunnelby, but unfortunately, that doesn't change anything in the future where it's got a very flat personality anyway.

Janovy

Banned
Meh, the episode was great for Bunnelby, but unfortunately, that doesn't change anything in the future where it's got a very flat personality anyway.
Bunnelby doesn't have a flat personality. What Bunnelby lacks is actual focus episodes like this to show he actually HAS an interesting personality.

Sadly, the writers would rather shove Chespin in our faces and its incessant need for stealing other people's food and being a mischief. Ugh.

04n70n10

A pleasant episode... and i agree that it would be better this episode have been placed way way earlier, like... 50 episodes ago... at least

But I agree that the last two episodes that focused on Eureka and Clemont are "mandatory", becouse now we have a Serena-eevee-tripoklaton fest and an Ash-GreninjAsh-Olympia-Alain-Zygarde-Lysandre-Flare Mega-fest...

Last edited:

LizardonX

Banned
For a supposed Clemont episode there was an unforgivable lack of Chespin

0/10

Please save us from boring eps like this in the future Alan, Lysandre, and Zygarde.

DaDonYordel

The Gazing Eye
Great episode, definitely better than the previous one. It was boosted up by not only a strong story but good animation as well. It's a nice change of pace compared to the standard "TR attacks episode", and I'm glad they buzzed off early in the beginning. The episode serves to expand the world of Pokemon beyond that of Ash which the Mega Evolution specials have been aiming for, but to see the world of Clemont and Bonnie before their fateful meeting with Ash is great, making them act like as people with their own lives to lead.

Comfy story and all the character show their colors as they would in the present. Bonnie is still the one pushing Clemont to do things, but the boy is still no pushover. Clemont also shows the difference between him and Ash's battle styles, with Clemont training Bunnelby with predetermined or practiced moves based on the analysis of their opponent in contrast to Ash's improvisational and unorthodox methods. Once again great episode overall. No great complaints.

It would seem that both Bunnelby and Clemont really are meant for each other as they are both big cry babies.

New Bonnie's voice sounds better than the last episode here as well. Still prefer Ise though.

hottom3rd

okay episode, seemed a bit dragged. Really excited to see that upcoming tierno battle blastoise episode.

DotKU

Champion
I liked this episode, but it really felt like it should have aired way before, like maybe before the Lumiose Gym Battle. Anyways, I really liked Bunnelby's personality and I feel like we got a side of it we never seen before. This episode also showed how capable Clemont is without Ash and Serena so that was nice too. So when is it gonna be Luxray's turn?

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
Simple episode, though I must confess that seeing Bunnelby waving to Clemont all injured near the end was his cutest moment ever for me. Idk why. Oh and Diggersby was redeemed. How unexpected. :/

K.N.

Can't say I really agree with the praise the episode is getting. You'd think that since they figured at some point that they should tell this backstory they'd come up with something more interesting than just using the "big Pokemon acts like a bully" story again. How many times have we seen that story in just XY? But even that wouldn't be such a big deal if the episode felt like it had some kind of point to it. I don't really feel like I learned anything new about Clemont or Bunnelby at all.

Bunnelby doesn't have a flat personality. What Bunnelby lacks is actual focus episodes like this to show he actually HAS an interesting personality

How would you describe Bunnelby as a character? What part of Bunnelby's personality was on display here outside of a general "he fights for his friends" thing which is a trait the majority of characters, including COTDs and a bunch of villains, have?

Supersonicbro

How would you describe Bunnelby as a character? What part of Bunnelby's personality was on display here outside of a general "he fights for his friends" thing which is a trait the majority of characters, including COTDs and a bunch of villains, have?

I would say bunnelby has a more mature personality out of the pokemon, this was especially shown in chespin's errand episode just by how it kept chespin on track. And how he "fights for his friends" he is the one that takes charge apparently. He isn't big and strong like luxray is, but he is also a good fighter and is shown as a bit more mature, which kinda goes with Clemont's logical style of battling.

WaterShuriken

"I..I..Iron Tail, Pikachu."
Bunnelby is adorable. These two cry babies are suited for each other. Bunnelby has always been my favorite of Clemont's team and it was nice seeing how they met.

Janovy

Banned
From the large majority of its appearances, we can tell that Bunnelby is a mature sort of Pokémon, always seeing it doing some chores and helping the gang after they're done eating, helping them clean up - it's a hard worker. The maturity is also evident when compared to Chespin's childish behavior to the point where Bunnelby is the one who needs to keep an eye on him just to make sure they complete their task. I'd also describe Bunnelby as very selfless as depicted in this episode. Willing to endanger its life for its friends and also willing to forgive a bully like Diggersby. Bunnelby's selflessness is also shown when it feels bad about wanting to leave its friends to go with Clemont and actually puts their own wishes above his. It is not until they tell Bunnelby that he can go that Bunnelby finally decided to take action and go after Clemont.

See, the reason I am able to describe Bunnelby's personality is because we have seen Bunnelby do these things which allow us to see Bunnelby's personality in action. Now, if you asked me to me a detailed description of, say, Talonflame, I would have no idea what to say. Primarily because Talonflame/Fletchinder/Fletchling has mostly been used for battles and flying thus giving it little time to flesh out its character.

Last edited:

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
From the large majority of its appearances, we can tell that Bunnelby is a mature sort of Pokémon, always seeing it doing some chores and helping the gang after they're done eating, helping them clean up - it's a hard worker. The maturity is also evident when compared to Chespin's childish behavior to the point where Bunnelby is the one who needs to keep an eye on him just to make sure they complete their task. I'd also describe Bunnelby as very selfless as depicted in this episode. Willing to endanger its life for its friends and also willing to forgive a bully like Diggersby. Bunnelby's selflessness is also shown when it feels bad about wanting to leave its friends to go with Clemont and actually puts their own wishes above his. It is not until they tell Bunnelby that he can go that Bunnelby finally decided to take action and go after Clemont.

See, the reason I am able to describe Bunnelby's personality is because we have seen Bunnelby do these things which allow us to see Bunnelby's personality in action. Now, if you asked me to me a detailed description of, say, Talonflame, I would have no idea what to say. Primarily because Talonflame/Fletchinder/Fletchling has mostly been used for battles and flying thus giving it little time to flesh out its character.

In other words, Bunnelby has an overdone personality that many Pokemon in the past groups already share and is considered unappealing unless he is forced to endure the troubles from a less composed team member who almost always will get the attention from the trainer anyway.

Mr. Reloaded

Cause a pirate is free
Nice little flashback that should have been placed way earlier in the series.

Although not particularly that interesting.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
Well this could be Clemont's last episode for a good long time so it had to be good. For what it was I enjoyed it very much. I can't even decided which part of the episode I liked most. Probably Clemont and Bonnie planning the next Bunnelby vs Diggersby fight. Bonnie running into the wall was great. Now this episode is a story that's been told over and over again with Pokemon bullied by another Pokemon and blah blah blah. The reason I liked this one is because at least they are using a different character to tell the story. The problem with the Pokemon anime is they keep using the same characters to tell the same story and it gets old, but at least here Clemont's never dealt with the situation so even though it's a old story it comes off somewhat different because Clemont will handle the situation differently! Another thing, Clemont seemed pretty competent with just him and Bonnie, so I don't get the whole "traveling to become braver" story. Did Clemont just lose all competence when he joined the main cast? Well Serena lost her attitude when she joined so maybe.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the episode. Clemont and Bonnie are just so entertaining with their dynamic and how they solve problems in the Pokemon world. And Bunnelby! I always liked Bunnelby, but now I like it even more. The ending with Clemont catching it and then Bonnie spilling the end were great. Bunnelby has got to be one of my favorite male sidekick Pokemon since Croagunk. I do agree that this episode should have aired sooner. Like maybe before the Gym, like someone suggested. That would have been the perfect time for a episode like this. But oh well. Clemont got to shine, even Serena who never seems to care for him, spent half the episode walking backwards just to look at him. Overall a lovely Clemont and Bunnelby episode, but we should have gotten this much earlier. And now the sidekick marathon passes the baton to Serena next.

Also Bonnie without Dedenne is just weird to look at.