• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Triumphant Return! The Alola Champion!! (1201)

Blood Red

【推しの子】

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
While they did follow the books for the most part early on, they chopped a lot of elements/characters/plotlines from the books and changed things a lot (Tyrion being portrayed as a manw***e for example, one that grinds my gears the most right from S1) for the sake of upping those TV ratings. And this negative aspect is very apparent when they outpaced the books, and even ignored most of GRRM's drafts to do their own nonsense in the later seasons. GRRM said that they had enough material for another 3-4 seasons but D&D were adamant on wrapping things up asap.

But the point was how the showrunners will often throw in unnecessary elements that don't fit the storytelling.
Tyrion was always that in the books lol, him being promiscuous was a big part of his character and ties into his Tysha storyline
I do think GRRM isn't given enough blame for how the show ended as well
People act as if he gave well thought out drafts to D&D rather than basic list of plotlines, the latter of which is more likely because if the former was true we'd have the books already
Not to mention how feast and dance are structured, as much as I love dance and appreciate feast it really speller the death of asoiaf because George essentially wrote himself into the biggest knot ever and not even delivering on the climax of Dance, something he criticised himself for as well. If D&D adapted feast and dance as they were..... it'd be suicide for the TV series
I don't think many people realise when they say GRRM gave them enough material for more seasons
Even IF they adapted everything George had written, by 2022, they'd be past the books and even in a BIGGER knot that George himself can't untie himself from, you expect D&D too? The tv series would have gone off the rails harder

As much as I have my criticisms of the last two seasons, I still think it was the right call to deviate from the books after S4, from a television stand of pov, as much as it hurts my inner asoiaf fanboyism

Anyway.....too offtopic lol, sorry I'm just too passionate about GoT/Asoiaf than any other fandom out there. If you'd like we can talk more about GoT/Asoiaf in DMs

KukuiFanatic501

Yes give me Alola supremacy!!!
I watched the Lillie episode for the first time and this episode live literally back to back
As you could imagine, my heart was completely full and I was just left with so much happiness. I can't remember the last time anipoke made me feel such a way tbh! Pure bliss of an Alola finale <3
First of all, I love this episode finally destroys the dumb strawman argument that Ash isn't Alola's champion, he's just a league winner
Ash is to Alola what Cynthia is to Sinnoh, it was obvious since the third last SM episode but here ya go, smacked onto your faces
Kukui's strength is respected and he's shown on the champion level feat he deserves
I love how the preview actually spells out Ash is the alolan champion. The gravitas given in this episode to that title, all the promotional material having it (even again with all the VAs having their interviews) and it being in the preview, it BETTER pop up during the Masters 8 tournament now. Not doing it for the raihan episode to save for this episode and the impact his title had was worth it
But please, give us the title in Masters 8 as well. Honestly just want it to shut up the trolls (who'll shift their goalposts anyway but still, it'll be satisfying)

Anyway, moving onto the episode
- Gosh the way Ash continuously exclaims happiness at Alola is amazing to see each time, Alola is his second home, his region <3
- I'm so glad we got James the butler lol! No seriously he was really an underrated character who had great moments with the aether family so for him to get a scene being happy Mohn is back was excellent continuity and heartwarming
- Loved all the cameos, from Samson Oak to Hau, Guzma Plumeria and Team Skull, to Faba and Wicke
- Idk the context since subs aren't out but Rotom Dex and Mohn talking got a good chuckle out of me, since Rotom was running Aether during everyones absence
- The way the girls hold onto Lillie <3
- Gladions expression when Lillie says she and Gladion have been watching Ash's PWC battles killed me LMAO, so glad I noticed it during the first live watch. I love Gladion so much and I forgot how much I liked him!!
- Baby Lei imitating Ash is just too cute, f Ash's child being the next protagonist I want his little bro Lei to lead the series
- I love the mon interactions we got no matter how short. Rowlet was the highlight as always lmao but Lucario hugging Ash was actually adorable, so was Dragonite hugging Kukui that absolute cutie
- I liked the lana and Chloe interaction. Atleast they acknowledged the fact both have eevees even if it didn't go the way I want. Heck Lana mentioning the option of Eevee staying unevolved makes me even more hopeful it actually won't be the case!!
- And now, onto the juice of the episode, the battle royale. It was extremely fulfilling to watch man. Kiawe getting his revenge on Gladion? Chefs kiss! The cool eyecatches for all 4 trainers? Stunning! Kukui's strength being respected and being Ashs final opponent? Rewarding
- We got the BEST flashback of the series and man I'm so happy they unbashedly showcased the whole flashback in full SM artstyle glory, while also showing the reactions of the Alola gang when Ash won which was extremely heartwarming to me and I'm glad it was shown again. But that flashback having the champion chant start, and then the camera pans to see the whole region chanting Ash's name as he looks in awe and surprise? That's the HARDEST scene ever in anipoke istg, it's absolutely CATHARTIC as an Ash fan to see that. It literally was the most emotional scene of the episode, i DID NOT expect that and it was just everything.

I don't care what anyone else tries to claim otherwise, this episode CEMENTS Ash being the alolan champion is his greatest achievement until the PWC. It freaking matters, in the best way possible

- I LOVE they have the battle unfinished and I can see this being a hot take. For one, it doesn't make you eyeroll about the DEMness of Pikashuniam Z, it adds more respect to Kukui's name and it's just so much more poetic seeing it lead into the sunset in the beach than showing who won
- Tapu Koko doing his dance for Ash's performance in the PWC, that ending scene? PERFECT finale to SM. Absolutely perfect!

Mannnnnn, I love SM so much and this was the perfect love letter to it <3
Bring on the Masters Tournament!! JN you have my faith!
You pretty much expressed the episode exactly how I wanted to but better lol, and I absolutely agree with everything you said fellow SM stan. And Kukui lover.

These back to back Alola episodes have been beyond absolutely amazing and have left me literally speechless and in tears. I was just jamming to “The Journey Starts Today!” Opening all through work today preparing myself to watch this episode after getting out lol and it made my day feel so goddamn complete.

These episodes feel like the deserving penultimate conclusion to the Sun and Moon series. The Aether family finding and reuniting with Mohn. Lillie and Gladion having acceptance of Ultra Beasts. All of the Alola characters coming back in some shape and form. Ash’s Alolan companions being some of, and maybe the only companions, to be following his PWC progress. Seeing Ash’s little brother try copying him. Kiawe getting his revenge on Gladion. Ash being treated like the champion he deserves to be (get to this more in a second) by literally getting 1 v 3d by his strongest alolan rivals, including best boy and daddy Kukui? The flashback to the ending of the Alola league. Ash basking in the always beautiful alolan sunset with Kukui, his alolan dad. Ash even getting a damn LEGENDARY POKÉMON to f***ing PRAY for his victory in the Masters tournament?! This is a full full circle moment for SM and I could not be any happier if I TRIED to.

But alas I get to the moment that made the episode for me the most that, as a longtime watcher and fan of the anime, I HAVE to comment on with my honest analysis. The crowds acceptance of Ash as their Alolan champion.

At that moment, I cried. But before that, I had so much goosebumps. It took me on a nostalgic memory trip through the past remembering Ash, the novice who went from being so late with getting his first Pokémon in his pajamas, wanting hundreds of people to be his fans but couldn’t even catch a spearow, was the butt of Gary and everyone else’s jokes, to now becoming a champion. The kind of person he looked up to, fanboyed over, saw others fanboying over, and wanted to become and is now that very person. He’s now on the same footing as good old lance, the chad Steven, the knowledgeable & glorious waifu Cynthia, the young and spunky Iris, the beauty Diantha, the cool hearted Alain, and the Pokémon loving freak Leon. No, this isn’t a dream, or a fluke. It is now reality and a real milestone that I can mark down not only for Ash, but for me to be proud of to see in my lifetime as a Pokémon fan.

And what made it better is Ash’s own realization of what it now means to be a champion. His dream to topple Leon isn’t just his own dream anymore. It’s the dream of every one of his alolan family and every single one in Alola. All of their hopes, their wishes and feelings, are now left for Ash to carry as THEIR representative in the Master 8. The first ever champion of his own region that THEY, the alolan people, want to win the championships. Something that we’ve never gotten from any of the previous regions before. Not even Kanto, his home region. This was such a beautiful moment and stride for Ash’s character to take, but a necessary one. Alolas truly his second home. His true spiritual home, and he deserves every drop of praise and love that he got in that arena. I could not be any happier for Ash.

A true true masterpiece of an ending to the SM series, the next step for Ash’s character, and the opening for the Masters tournament. The Sun and Moon series has truly impacted my life as a viewer and fan in an unimaginable way and I’m still proud to call it my absolute favorite series of the anime. Cannot wait any more for the Masters tournament to start and for the Alolan champion to win it all!!!!!

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
How embarrassing would it be if an outsider walked into your home, ate your food, and stole your accomplishments? It’s disgusting
Hello Balkans, I see we’re fighting over whether Tesla was a Serb or a Croat today.

Pokemonfan5

How embarrassing would it be if an outsider walked into your home, ate your food, and stole your accomplishments? It’s disgusting
Johto are in exact same position where Lance from kanto is representing johto while Alola is Ash's home which give him champion title and more love than any other region simple

also many sports players who play sports in different country instead for their birth land

KukuiFanatic501

Johto are in exact same position where Lance from kanto is representing johto while Alola is Ash's home which give him champion title and more love than any other region simple

also many sports players who play sports in different country instead for their birth land
I actually find it much better that Alolas champion, in the anime and games, both involve people from another region.

One of Alolas biggest themes and part of their culture is treating everyone as family to one another. It doesn’t matter whether your from Alola or not, you get unapologetic and unconditional love from everyone as a friend and member of the alolan family. Everyone treats each other the same. And it better conveys this theme with the champion not being from Alola originally. Ash may come from Kanto, but his origins don’t matter in the slightest or change the alolan peoples perception of him.

This idea of it being “disgusting” is just childish. Like, Trip and Kanto being from the gutter level petty.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
I actually find it much better that Alolas champion, in the anime and games, both involve people from another region.

One of Alolas biggest themes and part of their culture is treating everyone as family to one another. It doesn’t matter whether your from Alola or not, you get unapologetic and unconditional love from everyone as a friend and member of the alolan family. Everyone treats each other the same. And it better conveys this theme with the champion not being from Alola originally. Ash may come from Kanto, but his origins don’t matter in the slightest or change the alolan peoples perception of him.

This idea of it being “disgusting” is just childish. Like, Trip and Kanto being from the gutter level petty.
Don’t even need to go that far. I just dislike it when people make up imaginary rules for the competition like “you need to have an elite four to be a real champion” or “you need to be from the region you’re representing to be a real champion.” You play by the rules of the game, you win the game, you’re champion.

It’s not like it’s unprecedented in the games either. Brendan/May in RSE moved to Hoenn and became champion. Clearly, there is no “muy blood and soil” crap going on.

KukuiFanatic501

Don’t even need to go that far. I just dislike it when people make up imaginary rules for the competition like “you need to have an elite four to be a real champion” or “you need to be from the region you’re representing to be a real champion.” You play by the rules of the game, you win the game, you’re champion.

It’s not like it’s unprecedented in the games either. Brendan/May in RSE moved to Hoenn and became champion. Clearly, there is no “muy blood and soil” crap going on.
People only think with that “genwunner” type mindset because all of the regions leagues being like that prior to Sun and Moon. Leagues that have been already established tournaments for their regions for generations. Alolas a new recent tournament, so it can’t and shouldn’t even have to play by the same rules as before. I actually like that the anime doesn’t give an E4 as it makes the making of the tournament feel more real, especially when all of the other regions logically would’ve had to do the same thing when the Pokémon league first became a thing. Do you really think a tournament organizer really thought of all the details and flaws of a Pokémon league when first making them? Of course not and they shouldnt be expected to. Later on an E4 can be made when the league gets done more and more in the future.

In fact, if Ash really does end up winning the PWC, I wouldn’t be surprised if his win while representing Alola gives the region some added publicity and attention worldwide like Galar sorta has.

KukuiFanatic501

Not to hate on Johto or anything (cuz this whole argument is just stupid in general) but it’s actually quite funny since Johto is arguably in an even worse position of “embarrassing” when they can’t even get their own regional champ but have Kantos just come in for a quick hostile take over of their chance to get some unique representation in the masters 8.

Blue Saturday

Unfurl your Blessed Wings!
Alola is so pathetic that an outsider needs to be their champion. Their bloodlines are so weak that they need to outsource their accomplishments.
  • Shirona isn't from Sinnoh according to BW2
  • Iris (possibly) isn't from Isshu (the dragon village in lore is ambigious location wise)
  • Wataru isn't from Jouto
That's all I remember, plenty of E4 are from else where too.

KukuiFanatic501

I will say that I think it’s quite funny how Alola is the only region where it’s league for whatever reason gets hit with made up rules.

DatsRight

I will say that I think it’s quite funny how Alola is the only region where it’s league for whatever reason gets hit with made up rules.
Kanto had loads of ridiculous rules even Alola drew the line against, just they were all against Ash. :p

Really I'm surprised the show didn't try changing the league up beforehand to make Ash losing less repetitive.

KukuiFanatic501

Kanto had loads of ridiculous rules even Alola drew the line against, just they were all against Ash. :p

Really I'm surprised the show didn't try changing the league up beforehand to make Ash losing less repetitive.
Oh no I meant I find it funny when it concerns the fan base, Alola is the only region and league where it’s league has to hit some magical notes or requirements in order to get acceptance and that on a dime if it doesn’t do something someone “deems fit” then it gets more flak than it deserves that other leagues don’t get.

Like this whole “outsider” nonsense.

p96822

Evolve me please
To be the negative Nancy here, I felt nothing when the people of Alola calling him champion. I felt that they are putting so much pressure on Ash

Also I didn’t really care about his champion status in this region. They didn’t care when he came back the first two times, and the second time only two kids knew that he was champion. They only care that he’s in the Master class and nothing else.

I felt it was really bad writing that the characters knew that he was participating in the Pokémon world championship without Ash telling them on screen. I am OK with Lillie finding out because she said she watched the stream