• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Triumphant Return! The Alola Champion!! (1201)

Bortgreen

Captain Pikachu is EPIC
Very nice episode if you enjoyed or at least watched SM. Pretty much episode 148
At least the op Z-move was used in a way that made sense and against another one. The best way it could be used honestly
So nice to see all the characters again and people remembering the final battle from Alola... That was epic back then and I don't want anything less for Masters 8

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
so...Ash's champion acknowledgement, is it just in alola or was it mentioned in the special preview to the rest of the world?

Also, Gladion...what is your damage? You sent out your new "sister" in this? You deserved to lose, and it was cathartic to see kiawe get redemption from the alola league by being the one to knock you out since you pretty much cheated to beat him back then.

Last edited:

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
This is the first time since I don’t know when that a pokémon episode made me teary eyed. Seeing everyone in the stadium cheering “Champion” really made it sink in that Ash is the strongest trainer in Alola and they all want him to beat Leon just as much as he does. It makes think all the way back to when Ash first started and how he was just a cocky kid with no experience & delusions of grandeur, fantasizing of having hundreds of fans screaming his name. Now, after all these years and all his adventures, growing into the humble & confident trainer he is, he FINALLY has that praise & adoration he wanted way back then, only this time he’s earned it.

It not only makes you look back on Sun & Moon, but the entire anime as a whole and it makes you feel like Ash finally made it before the Masters 8 even began.

Last edited:

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
As expected Suiren/Koharu’s interactions tails back to Koharu’s completing her Eevee possibilities arc. by realizing that (like Nagisa) she’s perfect the way she is. A nice way to give both Suiren and Nagisa a bit of shine and a cute moment ❤️ Gotta love my girl getting that cute moment of wisdom and charm.

There’s a lot of good to say here (par course for Alola episodes) but I think my favorite thing is it truly doesn’t feel like Satoshi ever left Alola. With his visits to other regions there’s that feeling of setup and needing a purpose and all but with Alola it just “feels” seamless. Kukui and Satoshi’s bond and his dynamic with the classmates, his Alolan team, the Masked Royal scene just feels plucked out of S&M. I need subs because I don’t wanna assume narrative weight but it gave nice gravitates to Satoshi’s PWC and Alola Champion arc. connecting it all in a bow.

Also that Alola music during this episode, so refreshing I remember the first track from the Battle Royal being used with Silvuddy vs. Carrot dog. I loved seeing Kaki KO Utsuroid and getting his “revenge” against Gladion and showing he’s not playing around and only getting stronger. Glad Gladion’s still training and Garagara got move upgrades. Also the finish with Kukui finally using Gaogaen’s signature move against Pikachu. Ace vs. Ace, all they have versus Alolan parent and child. I love all the unapologetic S&M fan service and adoration given to this location and its prominence to Satoshi himself. Alola is HIS region, hell I’m not sure if Kanto has this much of a connection to Satoshi.

Also everyone pulling out Z-Moves sans Gladion debuting a freakin’ Ultra Beast-! Gave me chills, I love how they haven’t trivialized Z-Moves and have kept them so specific to Alola and it’s population since they aren’t more of a culture-based thing than a main stream sporting gimmick akin to Z-moves and Daimax. It makes me think of real-life Hawaii, Kaki constantly emphasized and was leery of Satoshi’s getting a Z-Ring from Kapuko-keko (good to see fairy island guardian again too!) so it wouldn’t make sense for any Tom, Dick and Mary to be running around with them.

Last edited:

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
This episode had all the points that make me remember fondly about Alola. It’s warm to see the Aether family back together (because see Lusamine actually happy with the family is a thing only the pokemon anime can give) and all the characters partying. I’d gladly pass the obligatory eevee talk (damn, Lana, evolve that thing into vaporeon).

See Team Alola and Team Journeys as a great family at Kukui’s house made me smile like an idiot!

Now, to the battle, it was interesting how it strikes as Ash feeling some weight of his champion status. I need subs, but I’m guessing Kukui actually asks to Ash to use issen bolt to end the show with a blast. I’d prefer to see Ash using lycanrock or (mainly) incineroar, but I understand pikachu’s usage here, since it was the pokemon who defeated Tapu Koko.

Talking about the devil, it’s specifically wholesome as both Kukui and Tapu Koko comes to give Ash some encouragement. Seriously, I couldn’t ask for more. If Journeys did at least one thing right, it was how Alola was portrayed.

Now, to the championship! But, let’s lose to Paul first.

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
a couple of more thoughts from me.

1.I'm kind of disappointed no one among the alola group had reactions to Dracovish, I thought Lana would've at least reacted to it, but nope gotta have an eevee talk with Chloe

2.nice to see Rowlet still loves chilling in backpacks.

3. People might not like it because of pikachu being used, but I think Ash did really well in the battle royal overall.

4. still don't know why Gladion used his new "sister" here (i mean after the last episode you think he wouldn't be so quick to send it out in combat), but Kiawe beating that cheater was cathartic.

Last edited:

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
I don’t know why but the triple screen split of all three screaming “hayai” while ganging up on Pikachu hit differently as well as the little face-colored background scenes. I’m still glad they managed to give Kaki’s Garagara some love here and the fabled Pikachu vs. Gaogaen match happening. Hell even just letting Gladion show off that he ain’t slacking and Utsuroid’s moves are banger.

Last edited:

nuzamaki90

Absolutely amazing episode. Without a doubt one of the best episodes of the show, if not the whole series. I know I said the same thing last week with Lillie and Mohn’s episode but this was just really well done and really broke new ground with Ash’s character the likes of which we’ve never seen.

For starters, the classmate complete reunion was wholesome, and the Aether Family truly being together again was nice as well. Seeing everyone enjoy themselves, including the Pokémon just gave off a really good feeling. All the relationships and interactions between characters were shown off so perfectly I was honestly surprised at how well it really all came together. Like come on, how is Ash’s little brother mimicking him not cute as f***?

But what really made this episode for me was the Battle Royal. The massive crowd pouring in just to witness a grand slam battle from their very own Champion. And the rivals of Ash being Kukui, Kiawe, and Gladion all had their own reasons for wanting to defeat Ash, the Alola Champion, that he truly didn’t understand until the end. Kiawe even beat Gladion like he promises at the Alola League! The weight of being a Champion and having an entire region of people riding on your back, cheering you on, inspired by you. etc. Hell some people even had Pichus on their shoulders to mimic Ash and Pikachu!

Before it seemed like Ash was just being humble and didn’t fully realize that he really is a Pokémon Champion, and with that realization come new confidence, reassurance, and maybe even strength in Ash. What a proper finale for the Alola saga, and new developments for Ash that we could have never expected!

BlueDragonfangirl

I really enjoyed the episode, one thing I liked about Sun and Moon was the interactions between Ash and the gang especially him and the professor, he acted like an actual father to him, glad to see that hasn’t changed.

I’m glad the episode was on Ash, last time only Goh got interact with them which peeved me off.

I’m also glad gladion was focused on defeating Ash than any thing, I love their rivalry in that series.

I’m also glad Ash got realized as a champion, good for him.

This episode truly warmed my heart, for once I have nothing negative to say.

I hope that episode where Oak/mom/Tracey appear is in its own episode that hasn’t revealed itself yet, i’d love actual Ash/Tracey interactions.

Samurott

This episode slaps hard, y'all. It not only reinvigorates my interest for Journeys, but makes me want to give the SM series a second chance and rewatch it (no fillers of course ;) ). It also makes watching this show for almost 25 years pay off after seeing the audience chanting to Ash. The hype going forward is unreal.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Suiren pointed out that there's a 9th possible path for Eievui to take, ie not evolving at all. "Just like Satoshi's Pikachu"
Oh joy.

I’m happy that Hop is appearing and everybody in this episode was very nice and emphasizing the whole “Alola is a family” vibe by having them all come celebrate Mohn.

So I was kinda right that after this episode they would start acknowledging Ash’s title in the Master Class and they did. It was nice seeing Ash get the love he deserves and no longer the “small guy”

What I’m kinda sad about is them introducing the main rivals of each series so late into the series that we barely get to know them. Like Hau, Marnie and now Hop. I appreciate the continuity and acknowledging him cheering on Leon but

Last edited:

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
Two incredible episodes back to back, huh. Tomiyasu, please keep this quality for the Masters 8 tournament as well.

Some disjointed and unordered thoughts:

I'm glad the Ash looking sad scene was a fakeout. The popular theory before the episode aired was that Ash was depressed he won too easily, and while that's an interesting concept, it would be a disservice to Kukui, Gladion, and Kiawe's strength.

Lana telling Chloe that Eevee staying unevolved is also an option gave me hope that Chloe's Eevee will stay as it is. Not only is Eevee almost as universal a mascot as Pikachu, staying unevolved would let it keep G-Max and Eevium-Z as potential tools.

The Alola gang talking about how they watched Ash's battle with Raihan, and Ash getting embarrassed was perfect. Also, Gladion just drinking his orange juice.

The Battle Royal was pretty good. I liked how Pikachu was recognized as the biggest threat and how the other three all attacked it first, but they didn't ignore each other either. Kiawe got his revenge against Gladion, and Kukui got to show he was still a powerhouse. I was also fine with the ending not being shown. Though, it's hard to imagine Ash losing, especially after using 10MV.

Tapu Koko made a cameo. :)

Easily the best part of the episode was everyone cheering for Ash. Ngl, hearing the audience shout "CHAMPION! CHAMPION!" put the biggest smile on my face. Even Goh, Chloe, and Mohn just being shocked and looking around the stands in awe added to the moment.

I'm not someone who rates episodes, but I will say that these two recent episodes have been some of Journeys' best, on par with some of the best stuff from DP, XY, and SM.

Gingertail24

Two incredible episodes back to back, huh. Tomiyasu, please keep this quality for the Masters 8 tournament as well.

Some disjointed and unordered thoughts:

I'm glad the Ash looking sad scene was a fakeout. The popular theory before the episode aired was that Ash was depressed he won too easily, and while that's an interesting concept, it would be a disservice to Kukui, Gladion, and Kiawe's strength.

Lana telling Chloe that Eevee staying unevolved is also an option gave me hope that Chloe's Eevee will stay as it is. Not only is Eevee almost as universal a mascot as Pikachu, staying unevolved would let it keep G-Max and Eevium-Z as potential tools.

The Alola gang talking about how they watched Ash's battle with Raihan, and Ash getting embarrassed was perfect. Also, Gladion just drinking his orange juice.

The Battle Royal was pretty good. I liked how Pikachu was recognized as the biggest threat and how the other three all attacked it first, but they didn't ignore each other either. Kiawe got his revenge against Gladion, and Kukui got to show he was still a powerhouse. I was also fine with the ending not being shown. Though, it's hard to imagine Ash losing, especially after using 10MV.

Tapu Koko made a cameo. :)

Easily the best part of the episode was everyone cheering for Ash. Ngl, hearing the audience shout "CHAMPION! CHAMPION!" put the biggest smile on my face. Even Goh, Chloe, and Mohn just being shocked and looking around the stands in awe added to the moment.

I'm not someone who rates episodes, but I will say that these two recent episodes have been some of Journeys' best, on par with some of the best stuff from DP, XY, and SM.
Honestly if evee isn't gonna evolve, which let's be honest is the most likely case, makes me feel Chloe arc is a bit wasted over all

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
Honestly if evee isn't gonna evolve, which let's be honest is the most likely case, makes me feel Chloe arc is a bit wasted over all
YMMV. But the way it was presented in this episode was that Eevee choosing to not evolve would be just as valid of a choice as choosing any one of the Eeveelutions.

Blue Saturday

Violet Prince❤️
Honestly the way Alola gets returns is how every series/region should, character and Pokémon organically and seamlessly flowing into the environment. I also understand this being a decade upon decade old show it’s probably not realistic to just do that for all regions and more older characters. They wouldn’t be super familiar with the audience, that being said I love how PM feels like a direct sequel building upon S&M continuity from time to time like Johto did to Kanto. Last episode couldn’t have been it’s own OVA.

This just felt like a second “penultimate” episode for S&M continuing where the victory against Kukui left off, Champion Satoshi, the best Kukui has, Royal Satoshi&Mask, Satoshi’s best Z-move, the whole region staking its love on their Champion, Aether’s family are resolved, Kaki and Gladion are still building up themselves as rivals (when they screamed “Full Power!” and Pikachu got the cap tossed on his head I just got smacked with memories) Even just the ending with a sunset on the beach with Kapuko-keko and Dad!Kukui felt very nostalgic….makes me wanna go rewatch S&M and play an Alola video game❤️