• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Triumphant Return! The Alola Champion!! (1201)

Twilight-Kun

Pokemon World Champion
Shame that Royal Mask didn't want to overshadow Ash and was off doing his own thing

Would've liked to see him and Kukui fight after trouncing Ash

Also pretty funny that Ash referenced Leon's losing animation in the games and I really hope it's not foreshadowing
3BlDqP1.gif

RafaSceptile

Watched with subs

Man's got a whole region cheering for him and this is the closest to official confirmation in universe so far that he's effectively the Alola region rep.

Man's even has Tapu Koko rooting for him.

This episode sure is Furfrou guy, except for a whole region monkaS
>Ash promises to some people to win the tournament prior to the start
>Ash faces a Charizard in the last battle

Oh no...

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Watched the PM episode finally (review coming after this since my thoughts are much longer here) so now can get to this episode. Like last week, I’ve heard a lot of good praise for this episode.Admittedly I ranted on a bit while watching the episodes. I give a much shorter version of my thoughts under the spoiler but if you’re interested in exact thoughts, they’re in the spoiler so I don’t clog up your screen.

+Koharu wanting to learn about Lana’s thought on Eevee is something that should’ve happened awhile ago but glad it’s coming to fruition. Also like the implication that Ash tells his friends about each other as seen when Goh officially met Brock in the Arceus specials.
+Far from new information, but I love the title of this episode. The energy Ash has when he’s reading it is so pure.
+God pretty much every supporting character is here: Mallow’s brother, her father, Hala, Samson Oak, Kukui, Burnet, Lei, the classmates, the Aether family, Hobes, Wicke, Faba, Hau, Team Skull.
+I love that Hala is the one to invite them back considering he spoke highly of Mohn back in SM and was what helped get Lillie his Z Ring. He’s always been treated as a de facto leader of Alola.
+Lillie and Lusamine are so polite while Gladion is indifferent and Mohn is just confused on how to present himself.
+The reunion between the classmates and their Pokémon was cute.
+Hobes, Faba, and Wicke being happy to see him return. I’m so glad the anime didn’t make Faba a complete jerk. They’re treated like part of the family too.
+Rotom cockblocking Faba from his bro lol
+Lusamine meeting Lei.
+Dracovish and Incineroar in the same episode <3
+Not an Eevee fan but Koharu and Lana’s interacting was really cute.
+Despite stating the obvious, it’s fitting for Lana to tell Koharu to embrace Eevee for who it is rather than what it could be given her go with the flow nature.
+Go asking about Kiawe as a callback to the first Alola episode.
+Kiawe’s enthusiasm and being in a rush to train at Wela Volcano for when Ash returns is why he’s my favorite classmate.
+Gladion saying that’s just like Kiawe as a reference to their Alola League battle.
+Everyone watching their Champion watch the PWC is exactly what I hoped for (also Gladion being caught off guard by Lillie telling Ash he watched too). Ash being flattered by it was cute too.
+Kukui looking at Ash talking passionately about his goal like “That’s my son” was cute.
+Gladion secluding himself to train but still giving a sense of passion is why he’s my favorite rival in the games.
+Lei copying his big brother was adorable as well as Burnet seeing Ash as his big brother.
+Ash and Kukui’s dynamic is still my favorite in the entire anime. Love how he sees him as a father figure. Him wanting to see Masked Royal like a fanboy was cute too
+The dual “Enjoy!” came back let’s go!
+Love that Alola team would jump in to help him train. Meanwhile Rowlet is still sleeping in his bag.
+Everyone coming to see Alola’s Champion battle again.
+Wicke and Faba being the announcers. Faba even has a Masked Royal sticker in reference to his admiration for him in SM.
+The energetic “Alola!” from the crowd.
+The Title Defense theme playing before the BR starts.
+I love that Faba says our Champion .
+Kukui and Incineroar <3 Faba being caught thirsting over Kukui too lmao
+Lillie being proud of an UB being a part of the family as well as everyone immediately welcoming it.
+Gladion giving Nihilego the chance to battle.
+So good to hear Kukui say DD Lariat again.
+Why is the “Who’s that Pokémon?”zoomed in on Incineroar’s crotch?
+The Journeys team cheering on their “leader”.
+Yoo the scene where everyone’s like “You’re not the only one who’s been training!” with the different colored backgrounds looked sick
+I forgot that Throat Chop is called Hell Thrust in Japanese.
+Kiawe and Gladion having a “no I’m going to beat him” showdown was weirdly charming
+The SM legend battle theme remix is great
+I love that Inferno Overdrive animation. Z Moves are so cool idc
+Damn Incineroar knocked Marowak far
+Everyone cheering for Ash was such a great moment.
+Seeing two of my favorite favorite Z Moves clash with fantastic animation was great. God I love the Ash and Kukui dynamic.
+Ash being glad he came to Alola.
+Tapu Koko doing its own way of wishing the best in the M8.

This was yet another perfect episode. I saw a lot of people say this felt like an epilogue episode for SM and I think that’s a perfect way to describe it. Alola isn’t exactly shy about its theme of family but that’s exactly why I love this region and its games, Pokémon, characters, locations, story, and anime saga. Everyone feels like they add to the region no matter how important they are to the grand scheme of things. Characters like Ash and Mohn are treated as part of the family no matter if they’re new or returning to visit. The pure sense of community everyone has in this episode is great.

Ash telling his Kukui that he’s glad he came here along with Tapu Koko cheering him on is such a great way to “finish” the story SM started. The crowd cheering to their top of their lungs “Champion!” along with his closest rivals encouraging him to win all the way to Leon is so wholesome. Ash went from an outsider who was learning to understand Alola to now walking around proudly as its first Champion. I am so glad his face in the preview wasn’t because he lost the joy of battling but because he needed to take a second and realize how far he has come in his second home. I agree with @Blue Saturday in wanting to play an Alola game now after these phenomenal two episodes. I can’t wait to rewatch SM later this month. Feels good to be a SM fan. 11/10
Also have a feeling that someone like Tapu Koko, Nebby, or Naganadel will make a cameo here. No real reason though.
Ay we got one of them at least.

thedarkdragon11

P4P Elite
Shame that Royal Mask didn't want to overshadow Ash and was off doing his own thing

Would've liked to see him and Kukui fight after trouncing Ash

Also pretty funny that Ash referenced Leon's losing animation in the games and I really hope it's not foreshadowing
3BlDqP1.gif
I'm interested to see Leon doing that and Ash doing the SwSh Champion pose...

RafaSceptile

+Wicke and Faba being the announcers. Faba even has a Masked Royal sticker in reference to his admiration for him in SM.
Don't forget Faba almost making a fanboy scream after presenting Kukui and before announcing Kiawe.
EDIT: Oops nevermind I kept reading lol

On another note, if I had a nickel for everyime I rank two SM thematic episodes in a row with a 10/10 rank I'd have two nickels . Which isn't a lot, but is weird that it happened twice. (SM143-144 and JN111-112)

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Don't forget Faba almost making a fanboy scream after presenting Kukui and before announcing Kiawe.
EDIT: Oops nevermind I kept reading lol

On another note, if I had a nickel for everyime I rank two SM thematic episodes in a row with a 10/10 rank I'd have two nickels . Which isn't a lot, but is weird that it happened twice. (SM143-144 and JN111-112)
Alola is just that great tbh

I want to say something... Ash is the champion of the alola league, in this case Ash is two things, both the "manalo league conference winner" and the "alola champion" because

"Alola League" First "Champion"

When Ash defeated Kukui who is stronger than an E4 then he showed he has the strength of a champion hence his title is too important in alola

Last edited:

KurashiDragon

Well-known Dragonite Enthusiast
I didn't realize how nostalgic I was for the SM Saga until I saw this Episode which is weird because I was a not a fan of the gen 7 games in pretty much any capacity. I think my only gripe which didn't really have anything to do with this episode is that it took so long for Ash to be acknowledged as the Alola Champion and treated as such. It makes sense but it's also kinda strange just how little interaction we've had with Alola Which moreso speaks to how bad Journey's plot really played out. Between the PWC and Project Mew it's obvious we were supposed to go on a worldwide adventure for this series. The beginning certainly felt like that but I think it was somewhere after the Eternatus episodes is when it stopped feeling like that. There were a lot of times where, we were just put in a random unknown spot in a random region instead of what the beginning of the series promised. That being a touristy kinda series where we'd see some big landmarks and enjoy these regions in some big nod to the franchise as a whole. At least, that's what I think it should've been in hindsight. This episode brings back that feeling. We're put in alola where we catch up with the SM gang, Get put in a battle royal which is an gen 7 / Alola exclusive, and we see that the alola saga wasn't a vacuum of an series in that people recognize Ash as a big deal in this region. We didn't get that in any region aside from maybe sinnoh / individual characters who recognize ash from their own personal journeys.

Putting my thoughts together on this, I enjoyed this episode in a way I haven't enjoyed Journeys sense the very beginning of the series when it had potential in a way I couldn't entirely describe until this episode got me thinking of it all. It stands out as an episode in such a way that kinda brings down Journeys as a whole and I don't know how to feel about that.

10 / 10 I didn't say much about the episode itself because I was moreso thinking about everything revolving around this episode. It was honestly amazing. The episode story was amazing, the character interactions were great, The animation was stellar. I have nothing negative to really say about this episode. Though I'm genuinely curious if we're gonna get a new eeveelution that's moreso a direct evolution of Eevee considering Chloe's conversation with Lana

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
I'm actually going to cry if the resolution to Chloe/Eevee's "we will find our path/your evolution together" arc ends up being "you're perfect just the way you are!". I hope they at least give Chloe a proper resolution before Journeys is over. (Assuming she doesn't continue her story in the next series)

Last edited:

GLTSRY

Sorry not sorry for my smugness
When Ash defeated Kukui who is stronger than an E4 then he showed he has the strength of a champion hence his title is too important in alola

Stronger than E4? Volkner caused more problems to Ash and Pikachu in their battle, despite not teaming up with 2 other trainers.

I agree that Ash is on champion level, but not because he defeated Kukui. He has far more important feats than that.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Okay three more observations
- One guy literally yells at Ash saying "Don't forget you are representing Alola too"
Yep that's a perfect knock on the face of anyone who said Ash is not the alola rep, Alola has no representation in the PWC etc. ASH IS THE ALOLA REP, cope
- When the crowd starts chanting Champion and Ash looks around in awe, it's LITERALLY the same as when he first won the league. I LOVE that!!!
- Seeing Gladion and Kiawe both say I will beat Ash/No i will beat Ash is so reminiscent of Ash and Raihan with Leon. Ash is literally their Leon and I love his reaction to that!!
So freaking perfect

Honestly Tomioka might have some competition for the “you see their name on the staff list and it’s a almost always a guaranteed banger” title
In my humble opinion
Aya Matsui already overtook Tomioka. As cool and great as Tomioka is and I adore him, Aya GETS Pokemon you know. Pokemon is NOT just battles and it NEVER has been its main things no matter what people think, it's always at its core been about the interactions of the humans with Pokemon and I'm so glad every piece of media acknowledges this, every other web series we get, and the anime especially with SM after XY was mostly battle focused only
Aya Matsui perfectly encapsulates this core, the heart of Pokemon in the best way possible. She's the best we have currently in anipoke id say, and my absolute favourite
Give her the reigns of the next series!

Panky..

Discord: Panky..#9281
- One guy literally yells at Ash saying "Don't forget you are representing Alola too"
Yep that's a perfect knock on the face of anyone who said Ash is not the alola rep, Alola has no representation in the PWC etc. ASH IS THE ALOLA REP, cope
Screencap? I won't be able to re-watch the episode any time soon.
In my humble opinion
Aya Matsui already overtook Tomioka. As cool and great as Tomioka is and I adore him, Aya GETS Pokemon you know. Pokemon is NOT just battles and it NEVER has been its main things no matter what people think, it's always at its core been about the interactions of the humans with Pokemon and I'm so glad every piece of media acknowledges this, every other web series we get, and the anime especially with SM after XY was mostly battle focused only
Aya Matsui perfectly encapsulates this core, the heart of Pokemon in the best way possible. She's the best we have currently in anipoke id say, and my absolute favourite
Give her the reigns of the next series!
Let's not make comparisons. They both have their strengths and weaknesses, and are the best in the staff at what they do.

DuquÊ?

Too lazy to pick a pic
You're a terrible son, Nebby; how dare you not come to cheer on your dad.
Ash take months to remember his own mom even exists. Nebby just learned from him.

I know it was commented already, but it’s kinda nice that some people in the audience had pichus as shoulder ‘mons. Notably, some of them are older people. Dunno, I find that both cute and a nod to Ash’s impact in the region.

Red Tiger 12

Wandering Trainer
The most hilarious part of this episode was seeing how upset Hau was while watching. Guess he still hasn’t gotten over that little hiccup at the League
I wouldn't say that.
He got over it pretty quick and he was one of the people congratulating Ash after he defeated Kukui and Tapu-Koko.

I took that look of his as him possibly wanting to have been a part of the Homecoming Battle Royale Match, but it was already filled in by Kukui, Gladion and Kiawe.

Red Tiger 12

Wandering Trainer
I love that her official nickname is actually just 'Lillie'. I bet it's gonna make things really confusing though...
Gladion: "Lillie, can you please pass the sugar?"
Lillie & Nihilego Lillie: "Yes. Oh, do you mean...?" (does obligatory Spider-Man Pointing meme)