• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Triumphant Return! The Alola Champion!! (1201)

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Incineroar looks somewhat small. Or his head is too big. Somethign seems off.
It’s definitely the head. It’s almost as big as his chest.

Sham

The Guardian of War
I already refuted this. The dialogue implies what I already stated, just because it wasn't present in the manner the writing implies doesn't mean the writing is to blame.

And this is only for the Drasna battle. I've already criticized the hell out of the Bea battle for Lucario's plot armor tankiness.
So quick question, then what is the blame?

Sham

The Guardian of War
I thought I already answered it? The visual presentation and episode's direction.
And isn’t the episode direction, determined or heavily influenced by the… writing? Visual presentation doesn’t exactly determine what’s going on but instead of how “what’s going on” is presented. I’m confused

Sham

The Guardian of War
Not always. The writing does determines the script, dialogue, plot points etc, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the episode's direction will execute them exactly 1:1. Often, a lot of 'spice' elements can be added, like I mentioned earlier, to induce that fake tension and drama. The writing clearly implies that Noivern and Altaria were taking damage concurrently, yet the way they were animated without any noticeable injuries and exhaustion was contradictory (in stark contrast to Ash's Pokemon).

And since I had brought up the GoT example, do you think D&D respected and completely/faithfully adapted the entire premise of GRRM's books faithfully? That's the point.
Ah gothcha, I understand

Lord Trollbias

Y'all Salty Bishes
This was a phenomenal episode. When they started chanting "Champion" I legitimately started tearing up.

Am I the only one who didn’t love the champion scene. It was cool, but not something worth raving over. I just wasn’t too fond of the scene because I dislike SM and the way Ash won the Alola League.

RafaSceptile

Am I the only one who didn’t love the champion scene. It was cool, but not something worth raving over. I just wasn’t too fond of the scene because I dislike SM and the way Ash won the Alola League.
Okay, so now that I've watched the episode with subs, I can finally post my actual thoughts on it:

I thought it was fine. Didn't really do anything for me, but I can see why SM fans would enjoy it. A solid 'okay/10'.

Go, be best friends forever

UnovaMaster

Yeah honestly I'm over the "Ash validation is so rare omfg!!!" mantra, the guy has the ground he steps on kissed everywhere he goes

I'm not going to hate on the episode because its purpose was to parallel Leon and Ash (wonder which of Kiawe or Gladion is the Raihan?), but the Alola setting has felt beyond lived in by now and so I just found it an average week of Pokemon

JustAStatistic

Super Casual Trainer
Don't you hate everything SM by default?

Kazuniya

read/watch dungeon meshi
Yeah honestly I'm over the "Ash validation is so rare omfg!!!" mantra, the guy has the ground he steps on kissed everywhere he goes
There is a huge difference between Ash's friends admiring him/cheering for him, and Ash actually having supporters now as an official Champion. This is the first time in the series that random people have cheered for Ash as a Champion of anything. He now represents the Champion of a region and that's pretty darn cool. Not only that, but he also realizes the weight of being a Champion after witnessing all these supporters.

So I dunno how you put this scene on the same level as "lol it's just more Ash worshipping!!!", this is unlike anything we've seen before.

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
There is a huge difference between Ash's friends admiring him/cheering for him, and Ash actually having supporters now as an official Champion. This is the first time in the series that random people have cheered for Ash as a Champion of anything. He now represents the Champion of a region and that's pretty darn cool. Not only that, but he also realizes the weight of being a Champion after witnessing all these supporters.

So I dunno how you put this scene on the same level as "lol it's just more Ash worshipping!!!", this is unlike anything we've seen before.
UnovaMaster says anything that’s contrary to the general consensus just to get a reaction out of people.

LucasMV

Two great episodes back to back, is this still Journeys?
Jokes aside, this was a very nice episode. I think no other series has managed to develop Ash's emotional connections with the rest of the cast as well as SM, specially the father-like relationship between Ash and Kukui and the fact that they all feel like family and Alola as a whole feels like home for him. I love it.

It was great seeing that everyone of his friends has been watching his fights and rooting for him. The Battle Royale was pretty cool, Pikachu showed how OP he is dodging attacks from 3 rivals at once and making a +2 Bulk Up Incineroar fall with Iron Tail. He's definitely Peakachu right now.

The best moment was obviously when the whole stadium started yelling "Champion! Champion!". As someone who's been watching this show for a little over 20 years, which is most of my life, I couldn't help but get goosebumps at that scene. Remembering the rookie trainer that was made fun of by his Pokédex after getting his stuff stolen by a Rattata, and seeing him now as he's cheered on as the Champion of a whole region, as their representative in a worldwide tournament to decide the best trainer in the entire world.
It was one of the rare instances where Pokémon managed to not just show, but to make you feel how far Ash has actually come. Despite it's ups and downs, the attempted soft reset in BW, and other circumstances, Ash has been consistently improving over the course of the years and through the different series.
He may still be 10, but he's sure a lot more mature than the naive inexperienced rookie he was over 2 decades ago.

I don't know what the general sentiment is for this one (came straight to comment) but it gave me the feeling that this may indeed be Ash's last series as our protagonist. I don't know if I'm ready for that to be honest. I've grown up with him, I'm used to seeing him every week. Regardless, I much rather he gets to end his story as the number 1 trainer in the world, than him staying but being constantly traveling from region to region, doing gyms, losing leagues and never getting anywhere. It'd be sad to see him go, but at least he wouldn't be going out without something to show for all these years. Time will tell.

Anyways, great episode, Journeys has been improving on it's final stretch. Hopefully they get the rest of the series right so Ash can have the climax he deserves.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
And since I had brought up the GoT example, do you think D&D respected and completely/faithfully adapted the entire premise of GRRM's books? That's the point.
This makes zero sense though, it's apples to oranges
When D&D wanted to adapt GRRM's premise, they did it fantastically well. And it was clear after S4 they purposely went their own way due to a) How feast/Dance was structured
b) GRRM slow progress with the books

Meanwhile here the directors obviously were trying to adapt the writing at hand but showed it poorly
D&D post S4 have never tried to adapt GRRM even when they included some plot elements of Feast/Dance
A better example would be talking about their adaptations of Tyrion killing Tywin/LF pushing off Lysa, etc. which had noticeable differences but still attempted to adapt what GRRM had done