• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Truly Legendary RMT (OU)

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
This is a team built entirely from the small number of legendary pokémon (that is, only 1 per game) that are usable in Smogon’s OU tier. It’s a bulky offensive team, and I think the members support each other well. Without further ado, here are the pokémon I chose:

381.gif
639.gif
243.gif
485.gif
245.gif
251.gif

Team Building:

I started out with Terrakion, a pokemon with great defenses as well as great speed and an insane attack stat. It is, quite possibly, the best pokémon in OU, capable of taking a few hits while also outspeeding a lot of its threats and OHKOing them.

639.gif

I then chose Latios, as it is so powerful that I cannot believe that it isn’t Uber yet. Mainly, I chose it because it was the only pokemon that was resistant to every one of Terrakion’s weaknesses. The two of them made a great duo.

381.gif
639.gif

Heatran came next, as it resists all of Latios’s weaknesses. It was at this point that I decided an all-legendary team would be interesting.

381.gif
639.gif
485.gif

With 2 water-weak pokémon on the team and Latios’s ice weakness not entirely checked, I added Suicune to the team. It was defensive enough to provide a reliable switch-in to basically any pokémon on the team.

381.gif
639.gif
485.gif
245.gif

Raikou was designed to be the counter to any electric attacks aimed at Suicune, which nothing on the team could really switch into except Latios. Raikou also made a great revenge killer, outspeeding and destroying most of the team’s threats. It was really the polar opposite of Suicune, attacking instantly with barely contained force rather than bulking up its stats with each passing turn.

381.gif
639.gif
243.gif
485.gif
245.gif

Celebi was the final key, and it completes the team so well. Its bulkiness makes it a very capable cleric, healing the team from the status problems that could cripple sweepers like Raikou and Latios. Ferrothorn, a common switch-in to Suicune that resisted its move coverage, could do nothing to Celebi, and making it a physical sweeper with Swords Dance is unexpected and deadly effective.

381.gif
639.gif
243.gif
485.gif
245.gif
251.gif

This is the team thus far. I considered changing Raikou into Jirachi, as this team is a bit too special, but I’m not quite sure yet.

The Team:

381.gif

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP

-Dragon Pulse
-Surf
-Hidden Power [Fire]
-Memento

This is the all-out offensive Latios with Life Orb to give it more versatility than the Choice variants. The first 3 moves provide STAB and perfect coverage. I’m personally fond of Memento, which I could either use to give Suicune an easy turn to use Calm Mind, or to give Celebi an opportunity to set up a Swords Dance.

639.gif

Terrakion @ Choice Scarf / Band
Ability: Justified
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP

-Rock Slide
-Close Combat
-Earthquake
-X-scissor

This Terrakion is definitely going to have some kind of Choice item, although I haven’t decided which. I think probably Band, because only 1-2 pokemon on any given team are faster than Terrakion anyway. The STAB moves have great coverage, which is made even better by the addition of Earthquake and X-scissor.

243.gif

Raikou @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Nature: Rash
EVs: 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP

-Thunder
-Aura Sphere
-Shadow Ball / Hidden Power [Ice]
-Rain Dance

This is the Raikou from the even last February, which explains the moves Aura Sphere and Extremespeed, not usually seen on a Raikou. The sprite should have been shiny, but I couldn’t find the sprite, so just pretend it’s orange. Thunder is for STAB, and has perfect coverage with Aura Sphere and HP Ice. Rain Dance ruins weather teams. After Tyranitar is KO’ed, I will literally switch Raikou in just to change the weather and ruin Excadrill’s hope of sweeping. It also ruins sun teams. I can deal with rain teams because of the Drizzle + Swift Swim ban, so nothing on a rain team is fast enough to scare me. I calculated that Thunderbolt + Specs does not OHKO Thundurus, but Thunder + Orb does, and that was the main factor in my decision.

485.gif

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Evs: 252 SpA, 136 Spe, 120 HP

-Fire Blast
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power [Ice]
-Stealth Rock

This is the same Heatran from my other OU team, and it serves the same purpose. It sweeps while its bulk protects it, and sets up Stealth Rock if it has the chance, like on a switch-out. The EVs (credit goes once again to Infectious) allow it to outspeed traditional Gliscor and OHKO with HP Ice. Fire Blast is for STAB, and Earth Power completes the type coverage.

245.gif

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Evs: 252 SpA, 252 HP, 4 Spe

-Calm Mind
-Tailwind
-Scald
-Hidden Power [Dragon]

This Suicune is not from the same event as Raikou, and thus can have a better nature and a better ability. Its strategy is to use Calm Mind repeatedly, usually on a special sweeper to force a switch. Tailwind gives it the speed to sweep, and also helps out the rest of the team if it faints. Its 2 attacks cover every pokémon except Ferrothorn and Empoleon, both of which can be dealt with by Celebi. Scald is a better option than Surf on a bulky set like this, and the burn chance can protect Suicune’s physical defense, which is not increased by Calm Mind.

251.gif

Celebi @ Cell Battery
Ability: Natural Cure
Nature: Jolly
Evs: 252 Atk, 96 HP, 160 Spe

-Swords Dance
-Heal Bell
-Recover
-Seed Bomb

Celebi cannot have good coverage, no matter what moveset I give it, unless I make it special. I’m not willing to do that, mainly because the team is very specially-oriented, but also because nobody expects a physical Celebi. Heal Bell helps out pokémon on my team that have been afflicted with status. Celebi usually makes a great counter for Thundurus, Ferrothorn, and Jellicent, given how well it shrugs off status and resists their STAB moves. Celebi’s stats also allow it to outspeed Excadrill, as well as Rotom-A and Heracross.

Feel free to make any comments, no matter how fierce, as not only is this team not yet made, I can’t make it. I missed the Raikou and Celebi events, so this is purely theoretical.​

Last edited:

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
No matter what anyone else says that comes into this thread, use sacred sword over close combat. Sacred Sword is much better IMO than close combat because no crappy secondary effect and if the opponent uses a defense boosting move, it doesn't matter. I guess we both have the same opinion

EDIT: I can supply you a raikou from the event if you have gen IV if you really need one

Last edited:

Eaglehawk

Banned
No matter what anyone else says that comes into this thread, use sacred sword over close combat. Sacred Sword is much better IMO than close combat because no crappy secondary effect and if the opponent uses a defense boosting move, it doesn't matter. I guess we both have the same opinion
Close Combat isn't crappy, and you shouldn't make judgments like that. They are both usable moves on Terrakion, based on the needs of your team. If Terra is running Swords Dance, Sacred sword is the better option while CC is used for every other case due to its sheer power.

I'll come back and rate this team later, since I have to do something very important. I'm going to say that it is a weird team, especially when you're running Rain Dance with a Fire-type on your team. Plus, your team lacks anything reminiscent to a Wall, so you might want to bank your points on a Specially Defensive Jirachi or a Regi (not recommended but really is the best option for a Defensive wall when following your team theme).

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Kansas_Rocks said:

EDIT: I can supply you a raikou from the event if you have gen IV if you really need one

Thanks for the offer, but this team probably won't see use outside of PO. I'm glad that somebody else shares my view that Sacred Sword is a great move, better than Brick Break but without the side effects of Close Combat. I want this Terrakion to remain a bulky wall, so I can't afford to sacrifice that bulk destroying some Blissey.

Eaglehawk said:
I'm going to say that it is a weird team, especially when you're running Rain Dance with a Fire-type on your team. Plus, your team lacks anything reminiscent to a Wall, so you might want to bank your points on a Specially Defensive Jirachi or a Regi (not recommended but really is the best option for a Defensive wall when following your team theme).

What, Suicune doesn't count? It's monumentally bulky, and can get in at least 1 or 2 Calm Minds before it starts a sweep. I could have used Sunny Day instead, but it would have crippled Suicune, and I would have still had to deal with Chlorophyll Venusaur and the like, which nothing on my team outspeeds except, you guessed it, Suicune with Tailwind.

Last edited:

Kansas_Rocks!

Awesomeness Trainer
Close Combat isn't crappy, and you shouldn't make judgments like that. They are both usable moves on Terrakion, based on the needs of your team. If Terra is running Swords Dance, Sacred sword is the better option while CC is used for every other case due to its sheer power.

I'll come back and rate this team later, since I have to do something very important. I'm going to say that it is a weird team, especially when you're running Rain Dance with a Fire-type on your team. Plus, your team lacks anything reminiscent to a Wall, so you might want to bank your points on a Specially Defensive Jirachi or a Regi (not recommended but really is the best option for a Defensive wall when following your team theme).

I didn't say the move itself is crappy, I said that the secondary effect is crappy. On certain pokemon i use it, but i would never use it on a Terrakion.

@3.14kachu I'm glad someone shares my views. What is the point of a move that destroys your defenses when it has another completely viable move that has no recoil. Sacred Sword IMO is one of the best moves introduced in this gen.

Last edited:

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Now that I think about it, Choice Band means it's going to need to switch out anyway, so maybe Close Combat is worth using. I'll put it as an option for now.

Chocolatepie2

I travel by TARDIS
How exactly does celebi deal with ferrothorn? It's only offensive move is 4x resisted by Ferrothorn.

Your team looks ok, except 3 of your pokemons are weak against ground types.

Why does Celebi has Cell Battery? Go for Leftovers or Life Orb.

Suicune: Ice Beam>HP dragon, ice beam kills dragons anyways and grass types.

Raikou: It's so bad that it has to be Rash :( if it can learn it, replace shadow ball for HP ice.

Latios: Draco Meteor>Dragon Pulse IMO so you can OHKO a pokemon and then use Memento.

windsong

WEST SIDE
I'll edit this with a full rate later tonight when I have more time, but always, always, always use Close Combat on Terrakion. SD, Rock Polish, Scarf, Band, whatever, Close Combat is pretty much always superior -- you really do need the extra power, and since anything that's outspeeding you or hitting you with super effective priority is KOing anyways, the Defense drops really don't matter much at all.

edit: HP Ice > Shadow Ball for Raikou too, since hitting Gliscor and Dragons is more important than 10 extra power and hitting basically nothing harder if you use shadow ball

Last edited:

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
I'll deal with all of your suggestions in order.

On the subject of Suicune's HP Dragon, it actually hits everything but Empoleon and Ferrothorn in conjuction with Scald. If I used an Ice move, it wouldn't hit any Water types, and if I used an Electric move, it wouldn't hit any Grass types or Dragon types.

After 3 Swords Dances, Celebii can 1-2HKO Ferrothorn with a 4x resisted move. Meanwhile, Ferrothorn doesn't have the power to do anything to Celebi, as its attack stat isn't great, status can get healed, Celebi is bulky with access to Recover, Leech Seed doesn't effect Celebi (yes, I mean effect, look it up), and Earthquake and Power Whip are both resisted. The opponent is forced to either keep Ferrothorn in play, allowing Celebi to become insanely powerful, or switch out, giving me a turn to get a Swords Dance in.

Celebi has a Cell Battery so that when it switches in from Suicune, it gets an attack boost from the foe's not-very-effective Electric attack. That item is open to change.

Raikou's Shadow Ball has the same coverage as HP Ice (that is, perfect), but has more base power. I'll consider HP Ice as an option, if only to rid myself of Gliscor and Dragons that switch in. I'm actually not sure if the Raikou from the event has its IVs preset as well as its nature. If so, its Hidden Power will probably not be Ice type.

I'll consider Draco Meteor on Latios. For now, I'll list it as an option.

Terrakion is bulky enough to take a hit from most things. I might go with Close Combat, but for now, I'm still thinking about it.

Last edited:

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
I wonder if I could use Rotom. I don't usually think of it as a legendary, but you only find it once, and numerically it comes right before the 4th Gen legendaries. If I could use Rotom, I could replace Raikou with Rotom-W or Rotom-H.

Huspoel

Hmm, Rotom-W Trickscarf?

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
Maybe... I considered Thundurus instead of Raikou as another option, but that would just exchange my Ground weakness for an Ice weakness. And Air Balloon on Heatran helps to make the team that much less Ground-weak. For now, the team seems to be effective in its current form. Any other suggestions?

Huspoel

Get rid of the sacred sword option?

3.14kachu

2.72pic √(-1)nventor
*Sigh* Yeah, I guess. Fine, I'm convinced. I'll run Close Combat on Terrakion.