• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Unova League Evolution (769)

SaveOurPokemon

Original Series Fan
Is it just me, or is this episode's ending a direct callback to the ending of the original Kanto league?

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
Is it just me, or is this episode's ending a direct callback to the ending of the original Kanto league?

It was. The same ending shot with Ash running toward Iris/Cilan was exactly the same as the one at the end of Kanto with Misty/Brock. The only difference is Oak and Delia weren't there.

Best Wishes really attempted to be a Kanto reboot and I don't know why the writers bothered. Making Ash weaker than he was in Hoenn and Sinnoh is disturbing.

Raptor_Crow

I lied to you all
Bah, for me there was only one thing that truly disappointed me about the Unova League, that's Katherine not interacting with the group.

Everything else was fine to me. And the best part is Lucario didn't get 'dragged through the dirt' by Eevee like certain people were hoping.

I have to say, liked the unpredictability this League provided. Only Virgil winning the entire thing was predictable. Surprises are cool, IMO.

Shego

The Pokémon Explorer
I knew that Virgil's going to win this league, but I can't believe that Ash finished at the Top 8 again, causing him to move one league back. Aw man, this turns out to be the my first worst pokemon that I ever witnessed as it done less better than the Sinnoh League. I hope there's another conference in the N Episode season where Ash can redeem himself as he will move forward to reach the Top 4 or runner-up at the very least, or better. Then he'll win the sixth generation league.

RickHoenn

Banned
It was a nice ending for Unova arc, I loved the recaps and flashback, I'm a fan of those, altough I'm disappointed Ash finished Top 8! :( :cries:

Oh well, I think Ash reflected about all what happened in the end, I found those scenes at the stadium to be very meaningful, hopefully he learnt a lesson and next gen (or in Chapter N) he will regain his confidence as a battler and train better his pokemon.

It was. The same ending shot with Ash running toward Iris/Cilan was exactly the same as the one at the end of Kanto with Misty/Brock. The only difference is Oak and Delia weren't there.

Best Wishes really attempted to be a Kanto reboot and I don't know why the writers bothered. Making Ash weaker than he was in Hoenn and Sinnoh is disturbing.

I think he's at the same level as Hoenn right now, you may remember he finished top 8 with only his Hoenn mons just like in the Unova League...

I loved the ending shot, I felt very nostalgic.

Last edited:

Mew2

Team Rocket's Enemy
I think he's at the same level as Hoenn right now, you may remember he finished top 8 with only his Hoenn mons just like in the Unova League...

No, he's not. He lost to Cameron when Cameron only brought five Pokémon. Cameron later went on to get blown out by Virgil. He is far worse than he was in Hoenn. I'd say he was worse than he was in Johto. If you look at it, none of the competitors seemed to be all that strong. Granted, we only really have the eyeball test to go by, but if Gary had been in this league, what do you think would have happened? We all saw the Unova League participants in the Don Battle tournaments and they were nothing to write home about. Catharine made it to the Top 10 or Top 8, and she did not appear to be all that strong at all. I think that any of the named competitors from previous leagues (Harrison, Katie, Conway, Paul, etc.) could have beaten the Unova League with only moderate difficulty at best. It just seemed like an inferior league, or at least had an inferior crop of participants this go around. The trainers generally either only had one strong Pokémon and put their entire teams on the back of that one Pokémon (Trip, Stephan), or were idiotic to the extreme (Bianca, Cameron). Ash was somewhere in between, not too smart, and not really having a really good go to Pokémon save for Krookodile (which showed his stupidity in not using Krookodile against Cameron) I see Virgil as competent, but I think he would more often that not lose trainers like Paul, Harrison, Katie, AG/Sinnoh Ash, or especially Tyson or Tobias.

Last edited:

RickHoenn

Banned
No, he's not. He lost to Cameron when Cameron only brought five Pokémon. Cameron later went on to get blown out by Virgil. He is far worse than he was in Hoenn. I'd say he was worse than he was in Johto. If you look at it, none of the competitors seemed to be all that strong. Granted, we only really have the eyeball test to go by, but if Gary had been in this league, what do you think would have happened? We all saw the Unova League participants in the Don Battle tournaments and they were nothing to write home about. Catharine made it to the Top 10 or Top 8, and she did not appear to be all that strong at all. I think that any of the named competitors from previous leagues (Harrison, Katie, Conway, Paul, etc.) could have beaten the Unova League with only moderate difficulty at best. It just seemed like an inferior league, or at least had an inferior crop of participants this go around. The trainers generally either only had one strong Pokémon and put their entire teams on the back of that one Pokémon (Trip, Stephan), or were idiotic to the extreme (Bianca, Cameron). Ash was somewhere in between, not too smart, and not really having a really good go to Pokémon save for Krookodile (which showed his stupidity in not using Krookodile against Cameron) I see Virgil as competent, but I think he would more often that not lose trainers like Paul, Harrison, Katie, AG/Sinnoh Ash, or especially Tyson or Tobias.

We have nothing to back up if Unova League participants were strong or not.

Clearly Virgil and Kotetsu were threats, it was proven an Eeveelution team is capable and wow, Kotetsu may be an idiot BUT his team was beastly.

I'd put him at the same level of Gary (who got top 16 in his last league try so far) or Katie. Ash regressed but that was because his team was not so developed.

He used reserves back in DP and that's how he got to top 4, he used reserves back in Johto and that's why he got top 8 for the first time.

As seem in the ending shots and flashbacks I think Ash learnt a lesson, hopefully next gen his team will be smaller so it gets more development.

To say he returned to Kanto level is ridiculous.

Takaru

Werk, Werk, Werk

I'm still trying to figure out their logic in doing this, I mean...its just...I don't even know what to say at this point. Are they trying to make Ash look like a terrible trainer on purpose?!

Joltik-Kid

Careful? Where's the fun in that?
I find it odd that despite this being the UNOVA league, someone who doesn't even use a single Unova Pokemon wins the thing and it didn't even look like he cared afterwards that he won it. Why does a rescuer need a League trophy anyway?

Haunter ゴースト

I pretty much explained everything in the Anime Spoilers on why i hated the Unova League, but for the record this episode was good for what it was and I loved the ending scene, I feel nostalgic like a lot of other people here.

One thing I will say though is that looking at Ash from back in the OS/AG/DP and now in BW it makes me depressed to see how god awful the writers have treated him.

Joltik-Kid

I pretty much explained everything in the Anime Spoilers on why i hated the Unova League, but for the record this episode was good for what it was and I loved the ending scene, I feel nostalgic like a lot of other people here.

One thing I will say though is that looking at Ash from back in the OS/AG/DP and now in BW it makes me depressed to see how god awful the writers have treated him.
Seems he can't win anything at this point :/

Haunter ゴースト

Seems he can't win anything at this point :/

It's not Ash losing that depresses me, it's the fact that he resembles nothing of his former self aside from his plot devices. And i'm not talking about his art design either (although it does make things worse) since his AG and DP changed but still resembled him. I'm talking about how he doesn't act anything like how did in OS, AG or DP anymore. I really can't explain how but I'm sure people know what I mean and it's enfuriating to think the writers would change him so much throughout his lifespan.

An00bis

Wicked Witch
Bah, for me there was only one thing that truly disappointed me about the Unova League, that's Katherine not interacting with the group.

... goodness you're right.

Katherine finished in the Top 16 or 8? Either way it's rather impressive for a female CoTD.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
This episode sounds like a waste of time to watch imo. The fact that Ash is placing lower than last time in Sinnoh makes it worse. Hopefully the N series is way better than what we've gotten so far from BW.

I find it odd that despite this being the UNOVA league, someone who doesn't even use a single Unova Pokemon wins the thing and it didn't even look like he cared afterwards that he won it. Why does a rescuer need a League trophy anyway?

I find this hella hilarious.

Anyway let's just move on with our lives. Ash lost like we expected but at least Cameron didn't win the whole thing. Eevee beating a Druddigon was kind of a funny though.

Joltik-Kid

It's not Ash losing that depresses me, it's the fact that he resembles nothing of his former self aside from his plot devices. And i'm not talking about his art design either (although it does make things worse) since his AG and DP changed but still resembled him. I'm talking about how he doesn't act anything like how did in OS, AG or DP anymore. I really can't explain how but I'm sure people know what I mean and it's enfuriating to think the writers would change him so much throughout his lifespan.
That's sorta what I meant, as it ties in with what your saying. OS Ash even won stuff before losing in the league and that was before he got smarter in AG/DP. Even more, he never had to heavily rely on evolution's in Gym battles to win the day for him. Ash only seemed to ever do his out of the box thinking with Oshawott (besides Pikachu) and that was only twice (both involved Water Gun). It like this was a completely different person we saw battling, yet we know for a fact that he's the same Ash since we saw the Sinnoh stuff in episode 1 of BW. It's just frustrating to see this go down after witnessing awesomeness of Ash beating two Legendary Pokemon in the Sinnoh league. Pikachu can tie with a Latios, but loses to a tired Lucario

Haunter ゴースト

This league was a nightmare. I just cannot understand what happened.

There have been a tonne of moments and episodes i've loved in BW, but it's not the League that was a nightmare, it's the entire saga. The League simply got given the BW treatement like everything else, being terrible.

Truly a terrible league.
1. The writers built Shooti up to be a TOUGH rival, who Ash always lost to, only to have him pummeled and disqualified in the eyes of fans in the JUNIOR Cup, by losing to Adler. Ash lost to Elite 4 members before, and Paul lost to Cynthia, but neither were emasculated. Did we have a decent, final battle between Ash and Shooti, like the 6 on 6 battles with Gary and Paul? Nope. Instead we had a 1 on 1 preliminary battle, in which Shooti's strongest, which blazed through the Junior Cup, was brought down- granted this was done by Pikachu, but still. NOT climactic.

2. WHY were their preliminaries when there was an even 128? >.< Not to mention, there were ONLY 128 trainers!

3. The league was only SIX episodes, shortest yet.

4. With that said, and Gen VI not being till next October, WHY was there a filler episode (Kibago) with TWO RUSHED battles!?

5. ALL of Ash's important battles were with rivals we saw him battle throughout the region already. -_-;; No interesting original League trainers, AKA Tyson with Meowth in Boots, Jenette with her kung-fu Bellsprout, or Tobias with Darkrai.

6. Unova is supposed to be based on America, right? Which is like.... LARGE in land and population, right? So why did we recognize so many character of the days in the crowd of trainers?

7. Kotetsu is scatter-brained and clumsy, to have Ash lose to him when comparied to Richie, Harrison, Tobias, or Tyson is sad.

8. Ash defeated a Lucario before when he battled Maylene, and it was NOT newly evolved. This is crap compared to losing to Darkrai/Latios, Meowth-in-boots, Blaziken (bear in mind Harrison probly had that Blaziken all that time as his starter)

9. Ash lost even though Kotetsu was down by one Pokemon to begin with -_-

10. Top 8? The poor kid regressed? Oh well, at least he is taking this loss easiest of all of his past ones

11. Ash seriously needs to return to his "normal", experienced self that developed between Gens. I-IV when Unova is over -_-

12. No Charles Goodshow? He couldn't take a plane like Ash, Oak, Deliah did?

13; Did they even bother to talk about if this flame was a Moltres or Ho-oh flame?

14. The fact that the stupid rocker character of the day got anywhere close to first place is just wrong.

15. Virigil, unlike everyone else who defeated Ash, seems to be a part-time Trainer due to the rescue squad he and his brother won. A part-time trainer won a regional league? Really? -_-

The battles in themselves that were ACTUALLY allowed to be full-length were decent though, and I liked the flashbacks.