• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Unova League Evolution (769)

Fair. I feel like they had to change the outcome last minute tbh
And that killed them.
Instead of having Ash win the league with a Pokemon we gave to him just to have him win, lets make him lose instead.
Why even give him Ash-Greninja in the first place, giving GF’s permission to create an anime exclusive Pokémon when it wasn’t even going to win Ash the league

nuzamaki90

It’s so surreal watching this episode again for the first time in like 7 years. In terms of animation the battle looked great but writing wise it’s just a confusing mess. Then when you look back and see that we still had 9 months before the next series starts, you really gotta wonder why in the world did they make Ash lose.

You had the perfect setup of Ash winning, taking a hiatus until the Champion League, bring Neo Team Plasma and N into the story, and then have the big Team Plasma crashes the League followed by Ash VS N to cap it all off. Instead Ash lost embarrassingly in a 5v6, didn’t even get to battle one of his rivals, and then the entire remainder of the secondary cast are all written off in such a unceremoniously quick manner to make room for two filler arcs.

Lol, what a confusing series Best Wishes was.

doofinc

get rillaboomed
Oh god it's time

Pros:
  • I'm appreciating that "Dodge" isn't a get-out-of-jail-free card in this battle
    • That being said, there is minimal dodging in this battle
  • I'm liking the Tri Attack shenanigans here
    • Oshawott not knowing which one to block
    • Pignite getting hit by 1/3 of it
  • The classic jumping onto the flying pokemon
  • Really cool Copycat animation TBH
  • Snivy Leaf Storm to bait the jump, into Vine Whip grab mid-air is good
  • There's actually pretty good choreography
    • The fights vs Hydreigon were good
    • Pikachu vs Samurott
    • The Riolu/Lucario fights were good too
Neutral:
  • Why is Rock Blast not actual rocks?
  • Unfezant sucks omegalul
  • This dude just prayed Lucario learned Aura Sphere and it worked
Cons:
  • Quite a bit of animation reuse
  • Why did Cameron send in Ferrothorn vs Pignite?????????????????????
  • Why did Cameron send in Swanna vs Pikachu?????????????????????
  • HE BROUGHT 5 POKEMON
  • IT WASNT EVEN A 6v5 IT WAS A 6v3
  • HOW DID YOU LOSE

Good lord what an extremely bizarre battle.

A solid 70% is legitimately a great battle. The fights vs Hydreigon and the fights vs Riolu were really good. The Samurott segment was also pretty good too. Really good choreography as well and neat animations. That 70% clears all the pre-DP battles easily except for maybe Ash vs. Katie

But good god the remaining 30% is extremely abysmal. 2 of Cameron's Pokemon were fodder so it was effectively a 6v3. Like good lord the circumstances around this battle were extremely stupid.

I do think this battle would be significantly less bad if Ash won. Sure, Ash almost losing in that scenario still sucks, but at least it's some consequence for Cameron blundering insanely hard. I don't even mind that Cameron did the 5v6 because it's in character, it's just stupid that they had him win at the expense of the Ash.

God I have no idea how to rank this battle.

Battle review aside, I have to echo the above and question why they made Ash lose here.
  • You had 9 months between Unova League and XY
  • Losing to Cameron makes Ash look like an idiot
  • You literally introduced a new rival in Virgil only for Ash to not fight him
  • There was the potential of an Eeveelution battle to advertise Eeveelutions and didn't do the battle
  • Ash literally could've just lost to Virgil instead and just end at Top 4 to not regress.
Extremely baffling battle overall, both inside and outside the battle.

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
Ash should’ve lose to Virgil since he was being set up to be the winner of the league (like Tyson). Pikachu vs Lucario wasn’t a bad battle perse, but Ash losing here was laughable for many reasons people on this thread have already explained.

I came across this post on twitter. It’s always interesting to see details like this about minor characters.

Last edited: