• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Watershed Moment! (911)

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Porygon hasn't had an in anime appearance besides it's one appearance in the banned episode, which was more or less retconned from cannon - whether it exists in the anime still hasn't been confirmed.

Either way, in a program dominantly about friendship, AI and advanced robotics is misplaced.

Um, no it isn't retconned. It cameoed in movies.

So what if the series is about friendship. It is also an action show. You can have zanny sci-fi adventures because of the adventure nature. "Misplaced" is obviously too strong to use because the anime has had both the zanny sci-fi as I listed and the lack of technology. Even then, Clemont still makes inventions still more insane than the "close to real life" mentality you tend to push on.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
Who's fighting laryngitis. The latest episode just worsened his voice. It was like he was hiccuping during his excited moments.

I'm not seeing (hearing?) it. He has a unique voice, but I wouldn't say it's that bad.

We've also seen town and villages in Pokémon that still use carts for transport and farmers use simple tools like hoes and pitchforks to till soil and plant seeds rather than tractors or any form of machinery. Most transport in the Pokémon world that we've seen Ash take is either propellor driven planes, flying boats or ocean liners, none of which is particularly modern. Other than Pokéballs and the PC system examples of advanced technology have up until XY been relatively few and far between. Porygon hasn't had an in anime appearance besides it's one appearance in the banned episode, which was more or less retconned from cannon - whether it exists in the anime still hasn't been confirmed.

And in real life there are still places that use traditional methods of farming and living instead of modern technology. And you can't deny the fact that the world of Pokemon has highly advanced technology, at least in some areas. The Pokeball itself, one of the most important objects in the entire anime, is a form of matter to energy converter, something far beyond what we can currently do in the real world. And yes, Porygon still exist in the anime. Just because it hasn't appeared since its banned episode doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Saying it doesn't exist is like saying Ash's Pidgeot doesn't exist because it hasn't appeared in almost as long.

Either way, in a program dominantly about friendship, AI and advanced robotics is misplaced.

Why are those two things mutually exclusive? Yes, Pokemon isn't a show about science and technology, but what's wrong with showcasing some? It's not like the sci-fi elements completely dominated and took over the show, leaving no room for anything else.

Pikachu52

Why are those two things mutually exclusive? Yes, Pokemon isn't a show about science and technology, but what's wrong with showcasing some? It's not like the sci-fi elements completely dominated and took over the show, leaving no room for anything else.

In this case it did take over the show. The episode had 20 minutes to showcase Chestnaught and gave over half of it's screen time to Robon instead. It's not so much they are mutually exclusive, it's more that the sci-fi elements, mainly the robots have been inserted rather hap-hazardly and comes across as ill-thought out. Heliolisk and Magnemite attacking Clemont, their trainer, on the orders of a machine - makes no sense. Dark Clembot and Clembot having a Pokémon battle and dark Clembot using Pokémon - what's the point. A robot being able to have a Pokémon battle at all - inconsistent with the constant demonstration that the bond between Pokémon and trainer is the way to bring out strength. As for Robon - there was nothing that it did that Chestnaught couldn't have done. It added nothing to the plot and would it would have enhanced the episode not to have included it.

The Pokeball itself, one of the most important objects in the entire anime, is a form of matter to energy converter, something far beyond what we can currently do in the real world

Even so that technology is largely a background prop or if central to the plot line doesn't distract from the characters. The robots being AI, become characters in themselves and take up too much screentime.

Last edited:

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Even so that technology is largely a background prop or if central to the plot line doesn't distract from the characters. The robots being AI, become characters in themselves and take up too much screentime.

I will say it again. Porygon is AI and light. Pikachu caused 700 people to get seizures. The reason Porygon is the scapegoat is because its name was in the title.

Pikachu52

I will say it again. Porygon is AI and light. Pikachu caused 700 people to get seizures. The reason Porygon is the scapegoat is because its name was in the title.

Porygon's irrelevant to what I was saying. It hasn't been in an episode since the banned seizure episode. My point was this episode should have been about Chestnaught but ended up being about Robon. Even if Porygon is AI, it's still a Pokémon and the episode was written around it and it's abilities. Robon and Clembot aren't and they're unnecessarily taking up roles that could be fulfilled by a trainer or a Pokémon.

Um, no it isn't retconned. It cameoed in movies.

So what if the series is about friendship. It is also an action show. You can have zanny sci-fi adventures because of the adventure nature. "Misplaced" is obviously too strong to use because the anime has had both the zanny sci-fi as I listed and the lack of technology. Even then, Clemont still makes inventions still more insane than the "close to real life" mentality you tend to push on.

It's not so much that the anime shouldn't have zanny sci-fi elements, it's that they should stay in the background either as plot devices or props. Clemont's inventions are insane but they last maybe 5 minutes maximum in most episodes and the human and Pokémon characters are still at the forefront. A robot gym leader or a robot that acts like a COTD is too far

Last edited:

DatsRight

I am so annoyed with that new theme already. The normal Team Rocket theme is much better if you ask me. This one just doesn't fit their motto.

I think the problem is that it's not really used where it could count. They should have at least used an instrumental in their fight last episode, which was tense enough to fit their rock theme. I'm predicting it probably won't be kept in the Kalos Master Class scene either (they always replace the Japanese showcase BGM with cliche performance/circus music). Then again XYZ is such an ineffectual run for the trio that the theme as a whole doesn't quite fit (ironically just after two seasons where they were halfway fearsome).

That said, I'd still love an English vocal version. We keep only TECHNICALLY having some Japanese image songs translated (eg. the acapella version of Roaring All Stars, instrumentals of Dawn or TR themes, or Bonnie humming the Squishy theme).

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
In this case it did take over the show. The episode had 20 minutes to showcase Chestnaught and gave over half of it's screen time to Robon instead. It's not so much they are mutually exclusive, it's more that the sci-fi elements, mainly the robots have been inserted rather hap-hazardly and comes across as ill-thought out. Heliolisk and Magnemite attacking Clemont, their trainer, on the orders of a machine - makes no sense. Dark Clembot and Clembot having a Pokémon battle and dark Clembot using Pokémon - what's the point. A robot being able to have a Pokémon battle at all - inconsistent with the constant demonstration that the bond between Pokémon and trainer is the way to bring out strength. As for Robon - there was nothing that it did that Chestnaught couldn't have done. It added nothing to the plot and would it would have enhanced the episode not to have included it.

That's an entirely different debate. That's claiming that it was a poorly integrated plot point, which I can agree with to an extent. That doesn't mean it doesn't belong, it just means this episode wasn't written the best.

The technology still exists in the world though, so you can't say that it is out of place or doesn't belong, because it is internally consistent with what we see elsewhere.

Pikachu52

That's an entirely different debate. That's claiming that it was a poorly integrated plot point, which I can agree with to an extent. That doesn't mean it doesn't belong, it just means this episode wasn't written the best.

The arguments overlap considerably though. Part of the reason the robots are a badly integrated plot point may also be due to the fact that they probably can't be easily integrated into the series, except perhaps as a background object.

The technology still exists in the world though, so you can't say that it is out of place or doesn't belong, because it is internally consistent with what we see elsewhere.

Not necessarily. Even if the Pokémon world is more technologically advance than reality one could still argue AI or advanced robotics could still be considered too advanced.

Last edited:

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
The arguments overlap considerably though. Part of the reason the robots are a badly integrated plot point may also be due to the fact that they probably can't be easily integrated into the series, except perhaps as a background object.

You have yet to actually justify what it is that doesn't work about such things. The themes of Pokemon are not mutually exclusive with advanced and futuristic technology, as there is no reason that such technology cannot be integrated well into the stories. One case of bad integration does not mean it's impossible.

Not necessarily. Even if the Pokémon world is more technologically advance than reality one could still argue AI or advanced robotics could still be considered too advanced.

Even though we have seen AI more advanced than Robon on several occasions and Porygon exists?

Last edited:

sheld999

was a great episode overall. seeing them build a new friendship helping chesnaught

Pikachu52

You have yet to actually justify what it is that doesn't work about such things. The themes of Pokemon are not mutually exclusive with advanced and futuristic technology, as there is no reason that such technology cannot be integrated well into the stories. One case of bad integration does not mean it's impossible.

No I have justified why I think they don't work - Robon wasn't doing anything in this episode that couldn't have been done by Chestnaught and leaving it out would have meant more screen time and development for that Pokémon rather than the robot. The anime has had two attempts now to integrate futuristic technology specifically AI into the plot in this series, Robon and Clembot. Both times we've had relatively simplistic ill-thought through ideas such as a robot taking over the gym with the gym leaders own Pokémon. Even by Pokémon standards it's absurd.
The themes of Pokemon are not mutually exclusive with advanced and futuristic technology so far as they're reconcilable with the main elements of the series - that is the Pokémon themselves and the relationship between Pokémon and humans. Introducing advanced talking robots shifted the focus onto those robots.

Even though we have seen AI more advanced than Robon on several occasions and Porygon exists?

Polygon's existence and importance is questionable. It only has one appearance that was retconned from cannon in the original series and never appeared since. If you were only watching the dub you would be forgiven for thinking it wasn't in the Pokémon. It also doesn't play a major role in any of the main series games either.

Soaring Pikachu

Cool Trainer
Team Flares absence feels a little weird but I liked this episode so its ok. As long as Clemont is around, I think that there will be plenty of more chances for the writers to showcase the power of science, which is fine with me on the one condition that we have seen the last of the brainwashing machines for a while.

LF>Ash to catch a Porygon

roguedr4g0nite

WishiWashi Trainer
So boring -_-
This episode felt like a replica of the Jirachi episode in BW . Barren desert where plants can't grow... oh my... Can Ash and Co. ever get away from episodes that repeat the same plot just with new characters.
3/10

Orton155

Pokemon Enthusiast
Admittedly, not a lot happened in this episode but I did enjoy seeing Clemont exercise his Scientific expertise. Furthermore, this inspired Henny so hopefully there will be more Clemonts in the future he he.

Ok episode, onto the next one!

the1stpkmnfan

Your Big Buff Bro
Not my favorite episode, but there were still a few good moments; mostly with Chesnaught and the robot. Heck, the robot had better voice acting than the kid.

I also enjoy the animation of the show when they're in the heated areas, its a nice touch.

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
It's a filler so not to much to say. I thought the plot of helping Robon to re-grow the desolate land was really nice. In fact, I ended up really liking Robon. I felt so bad when he got destroyed protecting Chesnaught from TR's attack.

Alloutℯ

Banned
I think it's funny that at the start of the episode, Clemont was exhausted and is going to collapse in any second and as soon as he sees the bot, he started acting like that he wasn't tired in the first place.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
This episode is probably my least favorite of the XY season. Chesnaught ended up as a Pokemon of the Day and the time could've been better spent on Team Flare doing something.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
I expected something better from Ash and his friends to move the bedrock like Zygarde using its powers or something. With Clemont's suggestion of heating up and cooling down the rock, it didn't quite make sense to me when Braixen used Fire Blast on it with Greninja using Water Shuriken and the rest of the Pokémon attacking it as I would have expected an Ice type move out of Ash's Goodra but unfortunately it didn't appear. But at least Clemont got some more attention in this episode and the Robon death scene was kinda emotional but still it had to be repaired anyway so that it would have a happier ending.

Leonhart

Imagineer
This episode is probably my least favorite of the XY season. Chesnaught ended up as a Pokemon of the Day and the time could've been better spent on Team Flare doing something.

Brigarron deserved to debut however, although perhaps in a different way. I can appreciate this filler if only due to being overwhelmed by the Flare-dan. We needed a break from them.