• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Whisper in the Wind (Pokeshipping, PG to PG-13)

legendarypokemonjunkie17

Back in MY day...
I just saw the spoilers. I am justin awe of the ch. 3 spoiler, I can hardly wait!! This is a great fic which even gives me some ideas for MY fic called " The Fire Within " . Anyway, love the fic and can hardly wait.

P.S.

Pikachu is very humorous, he makes this story very fun to read. Just a question, a trainer can only have 6 pokemon at one time. why does ash have close to 200?

Turak

That or most of the pokeballs were illusions created by Pikachu to scare off the Team Rocket grunts. Can't wait till the next chapter. The story also has a lot of potential and is not likely to get boring and repetitive any time soon like some other fics I've run into. Those spoilers now make me want it up even more!

Last edited:

Artemis Ignitan

*~*Northwind Gale*~*
Chapter 3!!!

The reason Ash can carry so many Pokeballs? Here's my logic:

As soon as a Pokemon Trainer catches a seventh Pokeball, its transported, right? If you are not marked as a Trainer, you can't transport. Ash left behind his Pokedex, which is what marks people as trainers, so now, they can't locate and transport. And anyways, since he's probably considered dead by now, his Pokedex was probably disabled. The Pokemon Master thing sounds logical too, but he left that badge behind too, remember?

Oh yeah, and here's Chapter 3. I guess it's a bit fast, but I am getting so psyched and enthusiastic over this that I'm spending most of my free time writing! :3 So anyway, heeeerrreeeee's Chapter 3!

A Whisper in the Wind
Chapter 3

He may have agreed to come with them, but that didn’t mean he had to avoid them. Actually, it meant that he had to avoid them. He couldn’t get close to his…former friends. Mew, it hurt him to think that he could no longer consider them friends, but he had kept this façade up for ten years. He couldn’t let it drop now…especially when the danger loomed even closer than it ever had. If he ever put them into harm’s way…

Ash tilted his head up to the sky to keep the tears at bay. Riding on Swellow, he felt the cool gusts of the night sky caress his weary features and let himself just get carried away…

His hood dropped down and his cape whipped open as he faced the gentle winds, but Ash didn’t really care, the hood wasn’t necessary. He always loved to do this whenever he got the chance, it was really the only time he had to relax. It was a time when he could just drop all his burdens, his fears, his sorrow, his stress…he could just let his soul whisk away for a bit and feel nothing. Just blissful, gentle nothingness. It was during those times when he could reassure his friends-or friend, he guessed, since she was the only one that noticed-that he was still there. Just a little whisper in the wind, barely audible, nothing that could be proven to be true…but the words said could mean so much…even if it was just a fleeting moment.

Out of the corner of his eye, he noticed Misty’s expression change slightly, as if she had just heard something she had been yearning to hear for ages. A small smile crossed his face.

Did you hear me that time, Mist?

*~*​

Misty snapped to attention abruptly after hearing something extremely faint…but familiar. The feathers of the Pidgeot she and her friends had been riding were extremely soft, she had just about fallen asleep…when she heard it.

Mist…

It had been forever since she had heard that voice, and she enjoyed the sound, turning it over and over in her mind until it was perfectly preserved. The sheer joy from hearing the voice, coupled with the tiring events of the night along with the soft downy feathers of the Pidgeot carrying her, made one very tired Misterrea Waterflower. Succumbing to sweet sleep, she rested better than she had in ages.

*~*​

Groggy eyes opened, revealing the dank, dim light of a cave. Misty had awoken to find herself and her friends on the back of a massive Pidgeot, who had been resting in a cave. So it wasn’t a dream after all… Looking over to her right side, she noticed something that made tears of laughter come to her eyes.

Satoshi, their savior, was sprawled across the back of his Swellow, apparently snoring. From what she had seen of him, he seemed to be the calm, cool, collected type, always serious, never showing emotion. Yet here he was, disheveled and messy, his mask seen through. This was the real Satoshi, no doubt, in his moment of weakness. His hood was down, letting Misty observe his face.

Or maybe not. Almost every inch of skin was covered. The lower half of his face was hidden by a black half-mask (think of Kakashi from Naruto). Dark sunglasses that would have shielded his eyes were laying haphazardly on his face, leaving only one eye covered. His forehead was covered with long locks of hair, whose color made Misty start in surprise. They were a deep raven black.

Upon seeing the color of his hair, her attention shifted to the exposed eye, still closed in slumber. If…if that’s him…then his eyes… She slowly moved her hand towards the eye, intent on prying it open and seeing the warm chocolate brown she had missed for so long. If it was him, she would seriously hurt him for hiding away from her for so long, then demand an explanation from his bruised, battered body. Then she would pummel him again for having what sorry excuse he had said. Her hand got closer, closer…

His eye twitched. She quickly pulled her hand back, afraid that she woke him up. A soft mumble escaped from his lips as he began to stir. Misty watched him closely, trying to see if she could get a glimpse of his eyes. No such luck. As if on instinct, his hand flew to his glasses, setting them straight, before stretching up to assume the familiar position known as the yawn. The others got up as well, and soon, all of them were gathered around a small fire, eating a meal of berries that “Satoshi” had gathered.

Ash felt almost at home, it was just as it used to be, just him and his friends, sitting, eating, laughing. Well, he was isolating himself from it, keeping silent, but these weren’t the old times anymore. He wasn’t part of their lives anymore, nor were they are part of his. As far as he was concerned, they couldn’t be friends, so he might as well play the role of “Satoshi” for as long as he was here.

“So…uh…I never got to know your names…”

Everyone was startled. This was the first time Satoshi had talked to them during the whole day, and what he said was quite unexpected.

“You looked pretty eager to get out of here. Why do you want to know our names now?” asked Rudy, who was still unsettled from the unexpected interruption from the cloaked stranger.

“I figure, as long as I’m held captive here by Miss Hothead over there-” he jabbed a thumb in Misty’s direction. “-I might as well know my jailers.” The next second, everybody sweat dropped as something large and wooden came in contact with his head, making him fall to the floor.

Misty pocketed her mallet with an angry glare, then proceeded to introduce herself. “I’m Misterrea Waterflower, the leader of Cerulean Gym, but you can call me Misty.” “Satoshi” almost didn’t hear her, as he was rubbing his head in the spot where Misty had hit him while shooting a death glare over at the laughing Pikachu sitting next to him.

“Crazy redhead…” he muttered.

“What was that?!” questioned Misty, the mallet appearing once more.

“Nothing, nothing!” Ash was waving his hands back and forth in panic, his mask was hiding a very scared expression.

“Thought so,” she commented coolly, withdrawing the mallet. Pikachu started laughing again.

“Oh, that had to hurt, didn’t it?”

“Like you would know. You’re not the one who got smashed by a two-ton block of wood.”

“It’s not easy being the target of her affection, is it, Ash?” More laughter.

“…Shut up.”

*~*​

Since the gang was so close to their destination, Pidgeot and Swellow were having a good long rest in their Pokeballs. Walking together in a pack, the six trainers-plus a Pikachu-strode into Pallet Town.

People kept gawking at them, some because of the reappearance of the missing trainers, and some because trainers never really came to Pallet Town. Mostly, however, they were staring at the young man cloaked in shadow and the Pikachu who seemed to be the exact opposite of its trainer. Ash cringed at all the attention he was receiving, he hadn’t walked straight into a town in broad daylight for ten years. With his only friends being Pokemon, and with danger looming over his head, being in a town wasn’t the best thing for him. All the worries and fears he had lost in the night sky returned, and with a vengeance.

I have to get out of here. The longer I stay, the harder it will be to leave. But how do I get out of this?

Ash was startled out of his thoughts by a very familiar sound. “Mime mime, Mr. Mime!”

Mimey? Oh no, don’t tell me…

His fear was affirmed when he realized they were standing at the doorstep of his old house. The door had opened to reveal a Mr. Mime, dressed in a green apron and carrying a broom. It looked a little older from the last time he had seen it, but then again, it had been ten years. He just hoped his mom wouldn’t recognize him. Mr. Mime welcomed them inside, stepping aside to let them pass. Ash paused at the door, wondering if he should step inside or get away now when he had the chance, but his guilt won him over, with the help of some unforgotten feelings…

Ash sat as far away from the light as possible, trying to keep himself hidden. It didn’t work, as everyone (including Pikachu, what a surprise) was dragging him to the sofa just mere seconds later. In the midst of this struggle, Delia Ketchum appeared, looking slightly perplexed at the situation, but cheerful nonetheless.

After Ash finally gave in and sat on the sofa (“Traitor,” he had mumbled to Pikachu, who replied with a cheeky grin), he observed his mother. Gray had started to line her auburn hair, but it was barely noticeable. A small wrinkle here and there, and her usual cheery blue eyes looked a bit dull. Ash immediately regretted not being there to take care of her, or to give her joy, it was apparent that she had still not gotten over his loss entirely. As he finished his observations, he noticed her staring at him.

“You know, you remind me of my son…” Ash immediately froze up, ready to teleport at a second’s notice. “But I think it’s because of the Pikachu. What did they say your name was, dear?”

Ash relaxed, then quickly reassured himself. “Satoshi, mo…ma’am.” That was close!

Delia chuckled. “No need to call me that, dearie. Just call me Delia.”

Ash smiled. “O-ok, Delia.”

Now that Brock had access to kitchen supplies and ingredients, he was now able to cook up a storm (thank goodness his skills didn’t get rusty), and soon, everybody was eating Brock’s creations enthusiastically, especially Ash. When questioned about his appetite, he simply said that he had never tasted food like this for ages, he had been living among the Pokemon for years, after all.

After the dinner, Ash withdrew to the shadows of his old room, everybody had insisted that he sleep there for some reason. It was probably because they were starting to see the resemblance between him and his former self…but he could not let them see who he really was. He had to leave. And yet, he couldn’t… He reflected on the increasing hopelessness of his situation as he gently laid the slumbering Pikachu on the bed.

His heart had a gaping hole in it. It had always been there, since his departure ten years ago, but he had always covered it up, patched it, sewn it together. But now, it was tearing open once more, mouth open wide, ready to swallow him into the never-ending world of darkness and despair.

He needed to be alone…

*~*​

Misty had been walking outside, simply enjoying the scenery and the exhilarating sensation of being free. However, no matter how much she delved into the joys of liberation, the mystery that was Satoshi kept tugging at her. Right now, he seemed to be the only person alive who could be linked with Ash. Trying to distract her thoughts, she looked around…and her eyes fell on the silhouette of a person sitting by Pallet Lake.

As she walked closer, she saw a mass of black, huddled together, hiding the person inside. It was Satoshi’s cape. What was he doing here? Sitting down next to him, she asked him that very question.

He almost jumped at the sound of her voice, it was pretty apparent that he was not expecting her. Uncurling himself, he leaned back on his arms and mumbled that he was “just thinking”. Misty didn’t really have anything to say, so she simply stared out at the lake, her eyes reflecting the light until they appeared like liquid spheres, capturing the water and holding it there to shimmer in the sun. Ash noticed this and remembered, she only did this if she was upset. He asked her what was wrong.

Misty was startled. The kindness in Satoshi’s voice was the only emotion he had ever shown (aside from fear from her mallet), and it moved her. Before she knew it, her emotions were spilling out, laid out for all to see.

“It…it all started when h-he disappeared…”

“He?”

“Ash. He had just become the Pokemon Master ten years ago, and all of his friends, including me, had been there to support him. Then during the night, he vanished. I was g-going to tell him…”

“…Tell him what?”

Misty paused. She had never told anybody before. But for some reason, telling Satoshi seemed to be the right thing to do…

“Tell him that…I loved him. I always had. Ever since I first fished him out of that lake… I should had told him earlier…but I was afraid. He never seemed to understand love, and I was always arguing with him anyway…what if he rejected? I was so afraid…then…when I was ready t-to tell him…he was gone…Gone.”

Misty was crying heavily now, her breath coming out in short gasps. Her face was cupped in her hands, her body was shaking and twitching. Ash desperately wanted to reach out to her, to hold her and comfort her…but he kept himself at bay. He had to let go of those feelings, he couldn’t be close…but Mew, it was so hard…

“B-but w-why am I telling y-you? Y-you wouldn’t und-derst-tand…”

Ash smiled grimly. “I know more than you think.”

Misty raised her head in surprise. Satoshi, emotionless, cold, secretive, a loner…understood love?

Ash continued his story. “I guess it was a love at first sight thing. I was too young and naïve to understand it at first, and as I got older, I thought it was just a crush. But as the years went on, I saw her bloom into the most gorgeous flower I had ever seen.”

Gorgeous Waterflower, to be exact.

Misty listened on, this story was drawing her in.

“I was always afraid to tell her how I felt, because she was always picking on me. But I hid my fear by focusing only on the dream I had started out with. I always wanted to come closer, to let her in my heart, to hold her, and to always protect her…but…I always shied away every time I got close, to scared to try, even though I knew I might lose her forever…but why am I saying this?”

Misty was startled at the abrupt change in his voice. It had been soft, fluent, caring…and suddenly turned brittle and hard, and filled with despair.

“I cannot love anymore. I can’t get close to anybody. It will only bring pain to everyone. Oh Mew, if anybody saw what I’ve become…and the hard part is…that this wasn’t forced upon me. I could have chosen not to go along. I could have chosen a different path. But this was the path I chose, and the one that I must forever tread…I can’t change my course. I’ve gone too far…and I can’t stop. That’s what makes it so hard…”

Misty saw a sparkle on the edge of his dark sunglasses. As it trickled down, a single speck of crystalline liquid, leaving a shimmering trail behind, she realized…he was crying. Satoshi truly was at an all-time low, he was the last person she would have expected to see in tears. He surprised her once more by standing up abruptly.

“I’m sorry. I’ve told you too much. I-I have to go!”

And before she could stop him, he ran off into the dark woods nearby. She cried out after him, but he had long disappeared into the shadows of the forest…

Thunder crackled in the sky. Sheets of water suddenly came pouring down, soaking Misty to the bone, but she didn’t notice. She was too caught up in her thoughts. Running back to the Ketchum house, she put a hand to her cheek. It was sopping wet, though with rain or tears, she could not tell.

Perhaps it was both.

*~end of chapter 3~*​

And that's chapter 3. Leave all reviews in the reply box on your way out. XD

Last edited:

shoujoai-fangirl

Our Lady of Sorrows
This has to be my favorite chapter so far, awesome work!
“Crazy redhead…” he muttered.

“What was that?!” questioned Misty, the mallet appearing once more.

“Nothing, nothing!” Ash was waving his hands back and forth in panic, his mask was hiding a very scared expression.

“Thought so,” she commented coolly, withdrawing the mallet. Pikachu started laughing again.

xDD rofl, just like the good old days!

“I guess it was a love at first sight thing. I was too young and naïve to understand it at first, and as I got older, I thought it was just a crush. But as the years went on, I saw her bloom into the most gorgeous flower I had ever seen.”

^ and that part was really sweet! *give yoo a cookie*

Turak

Great chapter. I especially enjoyed their talk at the lake, and also I love Pikachu's coments about Ash being afraid of the "Scrawny redhead". Can't wait for the next chapter and keep up the good work. I have alot of free time on my hands to read too, considering there is two to three feet of snow piled up in front of my house.

Genkiness

CHEESE!!!
that was such a great chapter!
the talk between "Satoshi" and Misty was so sad!!!!!!!! T_T
poor Misty!!!!! well, more sympathy for Ash since he probably feels guilty after seeing Misty suffer becuz of him.
and i loved how Misty saw the real side of "Satoshi" which was exactly the same personality Ash has! messy, snoring, raven-haired pokemon master! lolz.
as always, loved how pikachu always laughs at Ash. for some reason, every time you say pikachu laughs at Ash, I always think up of a maniacally laughing pikachu... like a cackling pikachu... i dunno why.... maybe it's becuz it's an electric mouse that has special psychic abilities (or whatever you call them)
anyways, as always, great chapter, SUPERB descriptions, loved the redhead calling. lolz.
looking forward for the next chapter!

XxM!styxX

shooting the moon ☆
Aww that chapter was ADORABLE!!!!
Perhaps it was both.
Throughout the entire time i was like omg tell each other that you love each other!! ITS SO FRIGGIN OBVIOUS!! ><

Esperon

An old PS luva!
You are just so good ^^

I love Pikachu!!!!! He's just so ultimately cool ^^

The bit at the end with Misty and "Satoshi" was so great and I can't wait to see how you get them through it and for the truth to shine through.

However, one question, where is Ho-Oh? He's been really...really quiet...

Turak

However, one question, where is Ho-Oh? He's been really...really quiet...

Well, to my knowledge, Ho-oh is inside of Ash, and is Ash's and Pikachu's source of power.

Artemis Ignitan

*~*Northwind Gale*~*
Turak is right. Ho-oh is just, well, hiding, so he just keeps quiet and provides Ash and Pikachu with powers. You probably won't see much of him until near the end.

Everybody seems to really like the little maniac Pikachu, I do too! :3 Spoiler will probably come tomorrow. The next chapter, I guess Saturday.

mmm, cookie... :p

Last edited:

Tamashi

the demonslayer
its..its.. its very stirring ;__; I love the scene when Satoshi express how he feels to carry a big load in his shoulders and can't tell to Misty that he loves her too, this chapter ispirate me to do a fanart about this story, wish me good luck to make it! ^^

The chapter was amazing, i couldnt have enjoyed it more myself, wow, you keep the reader in his seat, ready to read more, i swear, i loved it so much.

Upon seeing the color of his hair, her attention shifted to the exposed eye, still closed in slumber. If…if that’s him…then his eyes… She slowly moved her hand towards the eye, intent on prying it open and seeing the warm chocolate brown she had missed for so long. If it was him, she would seriously hurt him for hiding away from her for so long, then demand an explanation from his bruised, battered body. Then she would pummel him again for having what sorry excuse he had said. Her hand got closer, closer…

I was once in a very similar situation, but Halloween was involved, and i......pulled the mask away from her face, it was the girl i liked......so yeah, this paragraph had me thinking so much. Truly spectacular.

Misty was startled. The kindness in Satoshi’s voice was the only emotion he had ever shown (aside from fear from her mallet), and it moved her. Before she knew it, her emotions were spilling out, laid out for all to see.

“It…it all started when h-he disappeared…”

“He?”

“Ash. He had just become the Pokemon Master ten years ago, and all of his friends, including me, had been there to support him. Then during the night, he vanished. I was g-going to tell him…”

“…Tell him what?”

Misty paused. She had never told anybody before. But for some reason, telling Satoshi seemed to be the right thing to do…

“Tell him that…I loved him. I always had. Ever since I first fished him out of that lake… I should had told him earlier…but I was afraid. He never seemed to understand love, and I was always arguing with him anyway…what if he rejected? I was so afraid…then…when I was ready t-to tell him…he was gone…Gone.”

Misty was crying heavily now, her breath coming out in short gasps. Her face was cupped in her hands, her body was shaking and twitching. Ash desperately wanted to reach out to her, to hold her and comfort her…but he kept himself at bay. He had to let go of those feelings, he couldn’t be close…but Mew, it was so hard…

“B-but w-why am I telling y-you? Y-you wouldn’t und-derst-tand…”

Ash smiled grimly. “I know more than you think.”

Misty raised her head in surprise. Satoshi, emotionless, cold, secretive, a loner…understood love?

Ash continued his story. “I guess it was a love at first sight thing. I was too young and naïve to understand it at first, and as I got older, I thought it was just a crush. But as the years went on, I saw her bloom into the most gorgeous flower I had ever seen.”

Misty listened on, this story was drawing her in.

“I was always afraid to tell her how I felt, because she was always picking on me. But I hid my fear by focusing only on the dream I had started out with. I always wanted to come closer, to let her in my heart, to hold her, and to always protect her…but…I always shied away every time I got close, to scared to try, even though I knew I might lose her forever…but why am I saying this?”

Misty was startled at the abrupt change in his voice. It had been soft, fluent, caring…and suddenly turned brittle and hard, and filled with despair.

“I cannot love anymore. I can’t get close to anybody. It will only bring pain to everyone. Oh Mew, if anybody saw what I’ve become…and the hard part is…that this wasn’t forced upon me. I could have chosen not to go along. I could have chosen a different path. But this was the path I chose, and the one that I must forever tread…I can’t change my course. I’ve gone too far…and I can’t stop. That’s what makes it so hard…”

Misty saw a sparkle on the edge of his dark sunglasses. As it trickled down, a single speck of crystalline liquid, leaving a shimmering trail behind, she realized…he was crying. Satoshi truly was at an all-time low, he was the last person she would have expected to see in tears. He surprised her once more by standing up abruptly.

“I’m sorry. I’ve told you too much. I-I have to go!”

Oh, you always have Ash close to revealing who he is, this is such a sad story, but extremely amazing, nonetheless. Good job, and i want Chapter 4 now!:D

el_toro

Superfly
Artemis Ignitan said:
A bit ironic because it seems that Ash is doing the same thing right now, hm? I especialy liked the part in where they both tell each other about there crushes! Personally if I was Ash, I would be too shocked to be able to respond. THE MALLET STRIKES AGAIN!!! I didn't know you liked the mallet so much, Artemis! :p You're a great writer and the fact that you can write such good quality chapters in such a small amount of time is mind-blowing! Keep up the good work!

Artemis Ignitan

*~*Northwind Gale*~*
Yesh, the mallet is one of my personal favorites of the AAML world. :3

I think production might slow down a bit now. I'm a natural born procrastinator, so I do better and faster when pressed for time. And I have been reeeaaaallly pressed for time recently. But now, it is winter break, so I'll probably be lazing around for a bit. So I guess the chapters may or may not be slowing down. I'm still hyped out about the story though, so they might not.

Whether I'm lazing about or not, the spoiler came today as promised. Here are the first few lines of chapter 4.

She was dead tired. Exhausted. She couldn’t take much more of this. Her mind wouldn’t get off of Ash and, strangely, Satoshi. He was a living enigma if she ever saw one. That meeting by the lake was even more unexpected. She came to him expecting answers, and instead got more questions. Every time she thought she had an answer, something else popped up and led her off the path. What did it mean? Why…why was he this way?

She was too tired to think about it anymore. Coming to the bed, she collapsed on top of it and fell into a deep sleep, sopping wet clothes and all.

Is it just me, or does everybody like that little lake scene? It seems that every time I come to one of those parts that I already know by heart and I always think about, everybody likes those. I dunno, it just seems like a weird coincidence. I guess great minds think alike. :)

EDIT: A little warning, I reeeaaaallyyy think you guys will hate me after this next chapter. :3

EDIT #2: A little shout-out and thanks to shojoai-fangirl and her pokeshipping video, "Upside-Down". Whenever I get a bit stuck or apathetic, I listen to the video and it gets me right back into things. Just wanted to say that. :)

Last edited:

Artemis Ignitan

*~*Northwind Gale*~*
Chapter 4!!!

Alright, can't wait anymore, so I'm posting it. Here's when things take an unexpected twist...DUN DUN DUN! I swear, you guys are going to hate me for this. :3

A Whisper in the Wind
Chapter 4

She was dead tired. Exhausted. She couldn’t take much more of this. Her mind wouldn’t get off of Ash and, strangely, Satoshi. He was a living enigma if she ever saw one. That meeting by the lake was even more unexpected. She came to him expecting answers, and instead got more questions. Every time she thought she had an answer, something else popped up and led her off the path. What did it mean? Why…why was he this way?

She was too tired to think about it anymore. Coming to the bed, she collapsed on top of it and fell into a deep sleep, sopping wet clothes and all.

*~*​

“Misty…”

She mumbled out a reply, it was too muffled to hear due to her head being half buried in the sheets, but one could make out something close to “Mommanuuiiidonwannagotoooskeewlllll…”

“Misty, come on, this is important!”

“Nuuu…five more minutes…” She jumped up as a small electric bolt zapped her foot.

A crashing sound could be heard for miles, followed by an echoing scream of pain. “FOR MEW’S SAKE, WOMAN! YOU DON’T HAVE TO HIT SO HARD!!!”

Pikachu was rubbing his little furry head where a huge lump had appeared. Misty, who had been standing behind him, was now fully awake and had a truly frightening look on her face. That, however, was not as intimidating as the large wooden mallet raised above her head, ready to come down again. Pikachu’s crystal eyes widened in terror as it came down and quickly yelped out the words, “It’s about Satoshi! Something’s wrong!”

The mallet stopped inches from his face. Pikachu breathed a sigh of relief as the wooden menace slowly withdrew. The redhead’s red face slowly paled, returning to its original color. “What’s wrong?”

“He’s weakened.”

“What? How?”

“Because of the force trapped within him, he has gained its strengths, but also its weaknesses. This force happens to have a weakness for water.”

“Water?”

“Yes, but its not as bad as it seems. Satoshi and this force both have very high stamina, and a simple small rainstorm can’t hurt them. But a storm like the one last night can leave them disoriented and confused if they don’t protect themselves. Even against a storm like that can be blocked by their weakest shield-”

“Then why are you worried? How do you know he’s weakened? He could just block it-”

“Let me ask you this. Ever since after the Team Rocket incident, have you ever seen either of us use our powers?”

“N-no, but,”

“Exactly! He’s afraid. He’ll never use his abilities if he’s in or near human society unless it’s absolutely necessary. I’m connected with him. I can sense his weakness, his doubts, his fears, his thoughts…”

“B-but…he was far away from us, right? Why didn’t he use his powers?”

Pikachu looked directly at her, his crystal eyes boring into her sea-green ones. “The conversation at the lake last night.”

“You…you saw?”

“Yes. He’s worrying about that right now. He’s afraid that he’s gotten to close to everyone here, to you. Add that in with his current state of confusion and weakness…”

Misty sank to the floor, sitting on her knees.

*~*​

“Satoshi!”

“Where are you?”

“Come out of hiding!”

Misty and Pikachu had reported everything to their friends (conveniently leaving out the lakeside conversation), and now everybody was combing through the forest, searching for the shadow-cloaked trainer. They had been searching for the better part of an hour, and Pikachu said that he could still feel Satoshi’s energy, but it seemed as if he was drifting in and out of consciousness, barely holding onto reality itself. As a side note, to Misty only, he added that the conversation last night must have really shaken him to make him act this reckless.

Now Misty was alone, and plagued with guilt. She was the one who chased him away, she just knew it. Walking through the wet foliage, she called out his name, thinking that he would probably run away if he heard her voice anyway. Getting tired, she sat on a large rock and began to think things over.

Ash…Satoshi…why can’t I get either of you out of my mind? Are you still out there? Are you still here…with me?

She was jolted out of her thoughts from a scuffling sound, almost as if it was someone dragging their feet along the ground. She tensed up, and reached her hand for the Pokeballs around her waist, clutching them tightly, ready to release one to battle at a moment’s notice. A dark shadow clambered into view, dripping wet and looking very exhausted. Coming close to a tree, an arm wrapped in bandages extended out of the shadowy cloak, the hand attached to it covered in a black fingerless glove. Pressing the hand against the tree, the cloaked figure gasped for breath, before looking up and noticing Misty. Leaving the tree, it came closer to her, its hood fallen back. Misty’s eyes met a pair of dark sunglasses masking the figure’s eyes, but was close enough to see through them faintly. She wasn’t able to make out the color, but she could see them widened in shock and despair.

“Mist…” mumbled Satoshi as his body began to fall forward. Misty caught him before he touched the ground.

*~*​

Everyone was relieved that Satoshi was found and returned, although some of them wondered why he was so distressed and careless. Misty wouldn’t say anything about it, and instead took to shooting him looks once in a while, alternating between worried stares and killer glares. She was still pondering about why he had called her "Mist" when only Ash had ever called her that, but she reasoned that he was too tired to complete her name.

Ash was sitting in front of the fireplace, desperately trying to warm himself by covering himself in his cloak. Normally, that would have worked, and it did, but only a little. His clothes were still dripping wet, and huddling them closer to him did little to help drying them off. Delia was trying to convince him to take a warm shower and to get dressed into some different clothes, but he was refusing vehemently. This was the first time that her motherliness had failed to get someone to do something for the better, but Satoshi never seemed to be affected by emotion. Misty knew otherwise.

Finally getting exasperated with him, Misty walked up to him and began demanding that he listen to Delia, or he would get ill. Again, Ash refused, but when he caught the death glare that could only lead to one result, he hurriedly changed his mind, sighing in relief as the glare faded. He had avoided the wooden menace this time.

Rudy glared at this little scene. This new person reminded him too much of Ash, heck, he even interacted with Misty the same way Ash did. Rudy thought Misty’s love was lost to him as soon as Ash appeared, and when he disappeared, he thought that maybe that was his chance. Doing nothing at first in respect for Misty’s disappointment, he was ready to try for her love once more, then she got captured by Team Rocket. Not believing that he would see her again, he was surprised when they threw him in the same cell as her. But even then, she still seemed to be depressed and pessimistic, and even when she felt okay to talk, she barely paid attention to him and talked to her other friends instead. Now that they were out, he could have had another chance, she was so happy nowadays, but then that…that…Ash clone had to show up.

He had to make his move, and soon, or she might be lost to him forever.

*~*​

Ash had stepped out of the bathroom, dressed in a pair of striped pajamas. He still wore his facemask and sunglasses, which looked rather strange and maybe even hilarious with the colorful pajamas. The others stared oddly at him, but he just muttered to them to “get off his case”. The voice he used was so cold and bone-chilling that even Misty didn’t want to stand up to him. Looking around for his usual black garb, he inquired where it was. Delia answered that she had washed it for him, his Pokeballs had been laid out on a table in the kitchen. Everybody was amazed at the amount he had on him, and asked where he had gotten them all. He shrugged it off and simply mumbled the words, “oh, here and there.”

Everybody had planned to go out that day, but “Satoshi” refused to go anywhere until his clothes were dried out and he could dress in them, after 10 years of wearing and repairing them, he didn’t really feel comfortable in anything else. After thinking it over a bit, they seemed to find it reasonable, he looked strange to them when not wearing his usual pitch black outfit. When he was finally reunited with his clothing, the group headed to Old Oak’s lab, who was now run by Professor Oak Jr., more commonly known as Gary.

Gary had also seen the likeness between Ash and “Satoshi”, and was awestruck from the vivid appearance of Pikachu. The little rodent, unlike Ash, was actually enjoying the attention.

When questioned about where Professor Oak Sr. was, Gary and Delia’s eyes dulled and filled with tears. There was no questioned about it, Professor Oak had passed away, only six months ago according to Gary. Ash was filled with a deep sadness that the man he had accepted as family was gone, and he was filled with a sense of guilt, not unlike the guilt that had plagued him yesterday after seeing his mother. The others began to feel depressed as well, they had not heard of Professor Oak’s death either, and all were upset. “He was very outspoken against Team Rocket, all the way to the end…” murmured Gary.

“It’s such a shame that he couldn’t meet Satoshi. After all, he was the one who destroyed the main Rocket base,” commented Misty.

“You did that? I heard about the incident, but it said the person who did it vanished out of sight every time a newspaper reporter or a police officer came near him. I-I can’t believe it…” Gary shook his head. “So, what brings you here, besides a friendly reunion?”

“We were going to tell Satoshi about Ash, since they seem to be so alike. The best place to start would most likely be here, since this is where he started his journey,” explained Delia.

“I see, but you know that none of his old Pokemon are here anymore, right?”

“Yes, but still…”

“What happened to them?” interrupted “Satoshi”.

“Well, about a week after Ash vanished, all of his Pokeballs disappeared as well. Or almost all of them. Twenty-nine of the Tauros he caught were left behind, but the one taken was the one he used in all his battles. When we tried to track them down, their Pokedex signal was useless since it was disabled on the night of Ash’s disappearance. We released the remaining Tauros after one year of waiting.” Gary replied.

“Hmm…”

“Oh, wait honey, I remembered something that would help us out even more. It’s a secret Ash used to keep from everybody. I still have the key to it.” Delia commented.

“Oh?” Everyone’s interest was piqued, including Ash, who knew exactly what she was talking about.

*~*​

Delia had led everybody (including Gary) to Ash’s room, and walked to a door. “You noticed that Ash never opened this door around anybody, right?”

“Now that I think about it, yes,” marveled Misty. First Satoshi was hiding things from her, then she finds out that Ash was hiding something as well. What would happen next?

Delia stuck the key in the lock and turned. The room was nothing more than a walk in closet. It was what was inside that made everyone gasp.

“Wooden carvings. One of each person and Pokemon Ash had ever met on his journey.”

Everybody wandered inside, picking up a carving and stroking it. “I’ve never seen craftsmanship like this before!” exclaimed Brock. “Ash made these?”

“Each and every one,” explained Delia, who was feeling a small bubble of pride swell in herself, hearing everybody compliment her son.

Misty had picked up her wooden counterpart, it was extremely well detailed, all the way down to the wrinkles in her shirt. This one seemed to be carved with special care and attention. Stroking it, she thought of Ash, and where he could be.

Ash, I hope you’re alright…

*~*​

Everyone had sat down to dinner, except for Rudy, who had mysteriously vanished. They wondered where he was, but he reappeared ten minutes into the meal, saying that he had gone for a walk to clear his head. Everyone seemed to buy this explanation, after all, many mind-boggling things had happened since Satoshi had joined the gang. It actually seemed like he had become one of them too, he was actually laughing and joking with the rest of them.

After dinner, Ash had retreated to the wall and was now leaning against it, staring out of the window. All sorts of thoughts had flooded his mind. Did I go too far? Am I getting too close? This is the first time I’ve laughed with other humans for ages, and it felt great…especially since one of them was Mist…

“You’re blushing,” interrupted Pikachu, who had been listening in on his thoughts.

“You do know how much I hate that, right?”

“Yup.” A cheeky grin followed that statement.

“…You’re crazy.”

“I’m not the one who’s crazy for a certain redhead…”

“…Shut up…”

Their little mental brawl was interrupted by a gasp from everybody at the dining table. Looking over, Ash began to feel a sick feeling in his stomach. Rudy was down on one knee, holding up a small black box that was open, revealing a bright diamond gem. The luster of the gem was so brilliant that only the crystal color of Pikachu’s eyes could exceed it. It was pretty obvious that he was proposing marriage. And to whom?

The “scrawny redhead”.

Some of the people looked shocked, the others disgusted. Ash? He didn’t know how he felt. This wasn’t supposed to affect him. Misty and the others were no longer a part of his life, nor was he of theirs. But that conversation at the lake last night…it seemed like it bound him here, no matter how he tried to escape. And no matter how much he tried to suppress them, feelings of rage and despair worked their way to the surface. Ash felt his eyes stinging, and looked up at the ceiling to prevent the tears.

It’s over…Now I can move on…but why do I feel like I shouldn‘t? I have to…I have to keep treading my chosen path…I can’t…I can’t stop…but…I can’t continue either…What should I do?

Misty was in shock. Sure, she had imagined this happening, but she imagined a certain raven-haired trainer doing it, not Rudy. She knew that the chances of Ash standing in Rudy’s place were slim to none, actually, just none. But there was that one part of her that demanded to not do this, that she would regret it, that she would always be destined for one and only one…

Mist… That voice echoed in her mind, strengthening her resolve. No, it wasn’t too late, she could still be with Ash, if only in spirit. Staring around the room, her gaze took in all her friends…and stopped at Satoshi, who seemed to be ignoring the situation. Jeez, only Satoshi would act like this at something so emotional… Watching him, she realized, her mind had put two and two together for ages now, but she was always too scared, worried that she might be wrong. But in this situation, it was now or never, all or nothing.

“I’m sorry, Rudy,” she said, backing away. “But I can’t.” Then to everyone’s surprise, she dashed over to where Satoshi was. Ash was caught off guard, and was unable to defend himself quickly enough to stop Misty from ripping off his face mask. Ash quickly tried to hide his face, but it was too late. They had already seen the telltale lightning-shaped birthmarks under his sunglasses.

“I was right!” screamed a triumphant and furious Misty, who then reached for the glasses covering his eyes. She had yearned to see that warm chocolate brown for much too long…

Ash stood still, taking his bearings, wondering what to do. He decided to let Misty remove his glasses and let her and everyone else see what he had become. Maybe then they’d let him be…

Misty stood back in horror, dropping the face mask and sunglasses on the floor with a loud clatter that seemed to echo through the heavy silence. Everyone shied back, truly frightened.

His eyes had used to be a warm chocolate brown, full of emotion, easily read. Anyone could see what he was thinking just by looking at them, they were so expressive. That was what had endeared him to everybody…but he was like that no longer.

The brown had been replaced with an intense black, a deep void that swallowed all emotion and shredded it, bit by bit. The eyes made him seem like he was without feeling, without…a soul. And truly, that was the way he was. Almost soulless, locking away most of it so that it wouldn’t interfere with his path.

Pikachu hated those eyes. True, Ash would show emotion from time to time, but that was only if he was away from humans, and sometimes not even then. This Ash was not the Ash that he had come to respect and care for as a friend…a brother. This Ash was a monster. And he hated it. When he had seen Misty again, he thought that maybe she could have helped him, bring the real Ash back…but it now looked like that was impossible.

Misty was thinking the exact same thing. “You’re…you’re not Ash,” she screamed, tears forming in her ocean eyes as she sank to her knees in despair.

Ash chuckled as he picked up the sunglasses and slipped them back on. The laugh was cold and sinister, making shivers run down everyone’s spine. Pikachu recoiled from his friend’s sudden harsh tone, it was obvious he had been driven to the very edge of despair. “No, no I’m not,” he replied, in that same icy tone. He made his way to the door, opening it. Turning back, he said two final words.

“Not anymore.” The door slammed behind him, leaving everybody shaken. Misty picked up his discarded facemask and began to sob into it, letting all her tears flow freely.

She really had been too late.

*~end of chapter 4~*​

Now that Ash is gone, what will happen next? Will they chase after him, or will they be too scared and repulsed? If they do meet up again, what will happen? Well, I'm not telling you. :p Wait until Chapter 5. :)

shoujoai-fangirl

Our Lady of Sorrows
:O The ending is kind of similar to a fic I have planned where Misty gets engaged to another guy

This chapter was sad *cries* I feel so sorry for Misty :( it's written very well, keep up the great work *hopes they find Ash*

el_toro

Superfly
Jeez another Chapter?! This has to be breaking some kind of record Artemis; I almost feel ashamed after letting you guys wait for so long for my fic! :p Anyway, I would have NEVER expected Misty to rip the mask off so soon! And I kind of suspected that there was somthing different with Ash's eyes since you kept mentioning it in the story, but I would've never expected them to be so... souless and demonic! *shudders* It's a guess, but is Ho-oh controlling him towards the end of the chapter or has Ash really changed for good? Can't WAIT for the next chapter Artemis now that you've left me on the edge of my seat...