• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A World of Warcraft world

BUG

insert joke so dated I don't even remember it
Link

Read the article and post your thoughts. The article is pretty long but thought provoking.

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
This comment below the article pretty much sums it up:

And maybe the biggest f**k up Wong makes is that when people actually LIKE who they are (despite imperfections) they don't want to make a fantasy warrior bullshit image of themselves.

JIMMAH!!!!

Pickin' a winner
Woah, that is just, wow.

I really hope that never happens, otherwise we'll all end up like like the world of warcraft guy in south park. Oh wait...

LedZeppelin1

Expect theUnexpected
Oh God I knew WoW would still haunt me -_- I only quit like a week ago, it's still hard! And now it's taking over... well I knew that but still.

The_Panda

恭喜發財
The article is more a reflection on the person who wrote it than anyone else. The stuff about why people don't go to the movies anymore proves the point.

On a side-note, WoW is a crap game, as are all MMORPGs.

TogeticTheRuler

Correction: All MMORPGs that force you to grind to get more items to grind more to get rarer items even faster to grind more to get more exp to get more to get that item that needs that high level requirement suck.

Oh wait.

The Doctor

Absolute Beginner
I pray to God, Buddha, the various Shinto deities, Allah, Vishnu, Zeus, Odin, Gaia, Ra and Pan, lord of the wood that this society never ever comes about. Morbidly obese people cooped up in fibreglass cocoons like fleshy tinned tomatoes, being drip-fed Cheetos and soda, all grey matter whittled down to playing with their electric smiles machine, and being doomed if ever there's a power outage.

If that ever does happen, though, I call travelling back in time to prevent it.

Nny

Yeah, about that...
Today, I gave the option to my boyfriend of 5 years to either quit World of Warcraft of lose me. He said WoW makes him happier. FML

Today, My boyfriend dumped me because he said the relationship was too tough for him. When I asked for an example he responded "Like, I don't have enough time to play World of WarCraft." FML

Today, I was laying in bed naked and blindfolded. I told my boyfriend he could do anything he wanted to me. About 30 minutes later I get out of bed and find him in the computer room play World of Warcraft. His friends needed him. FML

I swear to god.... if our society becomes revolved some game, I am flipping.

Does anyone recall the episode of South Park where the kids were playing WoW? Ugh.

Waldorf

ungrateful
Honestly, no. The man is grasping for straws here in many cases, such as when he suggests that people not going to the movies as much is a telltale sign of the goddamn Meat Apocalypse. Let's also not forget that his whole future scenario is hinged on the assumption that the economy, agricultural labor, law and several other factors of civilization will advance in tandem with it. His predictions show an increasing lack of faith for humanity, apparently assuming that the worst of us are simply a what's-to-come version of all of us.

Could something similar to a world-wide virtual addiction happen? Yes. But I don't see video games (or MMO's) going in that direction. I think that they will grow in fame, become well-liked, and eventually respected, possibly as activities akin to shows or sports, but the entire world will not be immersed in World of Warcraft or any similar title, and much less begin to think of it as the real world. Dystopian predictions such as this one always exist to warn us of the possible dangers to come, but taking them to heart is like expecting every science-fiction book you read to play out in the future.

Of course that in this case, the author's self-deprecating, pun-riddled style inhibits me from reviewing him seriously, because cleverly enough he keeps suggesting that he doesn't take himself seriously, so the level of discussion cannot be taken to a higher level than that. I'll just leave it at the conclusion that there is no real indication that we are heading towards Fat Wall·E Future.

Honestly, no.

zandgaia

*Gasp* He's back!

I swear to god.... if our society becomes revolved some game, I am flipping.

Does anyone recall the episode of South Park where the kids were playing WoW? Ugh.

hope those things didn't rlly happen xS

Anyway; People are getting obsessed by these MMORPGs seriously;
In the Netherlands we got a lesson called; LEF (It's basically about all today's stuff and so) and 1 lesson was about this stuff, people would threaten others just to get that "awesome" account and that "so cool" item and so.
1 Kid (age around 14) killed himself because he was hacked.
Ever heard of Runescape that's almost the same thing except no CD needed, it goes the same for all MMORPG, people get obsessed with it. Hell no i don't want a future like that :O
Ps: Angry German kid goes about a German Kid who goes crazy because his game doesn't start -_-'

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
The article is more a reflection on the person who wrote it than anyone else. The stuff about why people don't go to the movies anymore proves the point.

On a side-note, WoW is a crap game, as are all MMORPGs.
Oh how right this statement is.

Wow. this article..... is..... wierd.

I hate WoW.

DarkPsychoBoost

Future World Emperor
Wait, isnt that like pokemon. Spending hours training to reach level 99. Hatching hundreds of eggs to get one with the right ability and IV's. EV training to get the perfect stats. Tons of other stuff.

dark rift

I see World of War Craft like smoking, because once you start you can't seem to stop and it does **** to your body.

Wow, a person here who's actually gonna kinda stick up for WoW...what is this.

For those of you who say "WoW is crap, its so stupid and pointless, I hate it," have you ever PLAYED WoW? If not, how do you KNOW you hate it?

I've played it. Its not THAT bad. I mainly stopped because my 10 day trial ran out, haha. As long as you have a sense that "Hey, its not real, its just for fun," like ALL VIDEO GAMES, then there's no problem. I know MANY people who play, but they still have fulfilling lives. Yes, there's some who ARE fully drawn into it, but not ALL players are like that.

Its called moderation. Don't knock it 'til ya try it.

But, as for the article...yeah, that'd be kinda creepy.

BUG

Honestly, no. The man is grasping for straws here in many cases, such as when he suggests that people not going to the movies as much is a telltale sign of the goddamn Meat Apocalypse. Let's also not forget that his whole future scenario is hinged on the assumption that the economy, agricultural labor, law and several other factors of civilization will advance in tandem with it. His predictions show an increasing lack of faith for humanity, apparently assuming that the worst of us are simply a what's-to-come version of all of us.

Could something similar to a world-wide virtual addiction happen? Yes. But I don't see video games (or MMO's) going in that direction. I think that they will grow in fame, become well-liked, and eventually respected, possibly as activities akin to shows or sports, but the entire world will not be immersed in World of Warcraft or any similar title, and much less begin to think of it as the real world. Dystopian predictions such as this one always exist to warn us of the possible dangers to come, but taking them to heart is like expecting every science-fiction book you read to play out in the future.

Of course that in this case, the author's self-deprecating, pun-riddled style inhibits me from reviewing him seriously, because cleverly enough he keeps suggesting that he doesn't take himself seriously, so the level of discussion cannot be taken to a higher level than that. I'll just leave it at the conclusion that there is no real indication that we are heading towards Fat Wall·E Future.

Honestly, no.

I'm not saying the article is right. I'm just asking for your thoughts.

Waldorf

ungrateful
BUG said:
I'm not saying the article is right. I'm just asking for your thoughts.

... The article's validity is intrinsically tied to what I think of it, seeing as you offered it as a piece of discussion. And what I concluded was that it won't happen.

Seriously what are you on.

Erienne

Anime high :D
It's a lot of ifs and thens, but it makes a valid point about metaverses. World of Warcraft is a large one, but it's more of a game than some like The Sims Online, Extropia, Second Life, and some others.

It could happen, and some of it already is happening. A lot of people are making money from these virtual games; I read in some magazine this woman who is making like 100,000 dollars a year selling virtual real estate on some metaverse.

The_Panda

恭喜發財
Wait, isnt that like pokemon. Spending hours training to reach level 99. Hatching hundreds of eggs to get one with the right ability and IV's. EV training to get the perfect stats. Tons of other stuff.

You're assuming that just because this is a Pokémon forum, every plays Pokémon obsessively, no, competitively.

BUG

... The article's validity is intrinsically tied to what I think of it, seeing as you offered it as a piece of discussion. And what I concluded was that it won't happen.

Seriously what are you on.

Trying to use a large vocabulary to make yourself look smart and try to confuse others will get you nowhere.