• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A World of Warcraft world

BynineB

Wielding Übersaw.
Meh, WoW is fun. Really. I'm not addicted, but I just play occasionally. You prolly don't believe me. XD

This article is what is already happening to this world..

Waldorf

ungrateful
BUG said:
Trying to use a large vocabulary to make yourself look smart and try to confuse others will get you nowhere.

Pffft. You'd be surprised. I do love it when people assume stuff about me on the Internet, though...

(In any case it's neither here nor there, and I'm not entirely sure as to why you brought it up.)

Last edited:

BUG

insert joke so dated I don't even remember it
Pffft. You'd be surprised. I do love it when people assume stuff about me on the Internet, though...

(In any case it's neither here nor there, and I'm not entirely sure as to why you brought it up.)

I misread your original post. I thought you were trying to argue, and I said just post your thoughts. Then you accused me of smoking something. Oh well, it's not a big deal.

Profesco

gone gently
The only fun part of the article were all those ridiculous quotes from scholars and persons of reknown. Otherwise, it's a pretty cool read about Nerdy McNerd's glaring social apathy.

Seriously, if Edison ever said the phrase "ball-flattening speed" in reference to anything at all, then may all our boobs be ferociously slapped by this drastic shift in reality. :p

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
Yup. People are taking these MMORPGs WAY too seriously. This is why I don't play them and try to stay away from it. I've heard of people killing themselves because they can't complete a task or whatnot.

The article is so ridiculous and predictable I didn't reach the half-way point. I'm actually glad they made fun of this on Duck Dodgers.

Zazie

So 1991
Honestly, no. The man is grasping for straws here in many cases, such as when he suggests that people not going to the movies as much is a telltale sign of the goddamn Meat Apocalypse. Let's also not forget that his whole future scenario is hinged on the assumption that the economy, agricultural labor, law and several other factors of civilization will advance in tandem with it. His predictions show an increasing lack of faith for humanity, apparently assuming that the worst of us are simply a what's-to-come version of all of us.

Could something similar to a world-wide virtual addiction happen? Yes. But I don't see video games (or MMO's) going in that direction. I think that they will grow in fame, become well-liked, and eventually respected, possibly as activities akin to shows or sports, but the entire world will not be immersed in World of Warcraft or any similar title, and much less begin to think of it as the real world. Dystopian predictions such as this one always exist to warn us of the possible dangers to come, but taking them to heart is like expecting every science-fiction book you read to play out in the future.

Of course that in this case, the author's self-deprecating, pun-riddled style inhibits me from reviewing him seriously, because cleverly enough he keeps suggesting that he doesn't take himself seriously, so the level of discussion cannot be taken to a higher level than that. I'll just leave it at the conclusion that there is no real indication that we are heading towards Fat Wall·E Future.

Honestly, no.

You are aware that this is an article from Cracked.com, a humor website and that the article and most likely intended as a joke and not a serious analysis right?

Waldorf

ungrateful
Glass Eye said:
You are aware that this is an article from Cracked.com, a humor website and that the article and most likely intended as a joke and not a serious analysis right?

Yeah, and that's what I said. But they asked for discussion and I expressed my opinion on whether it could happen, because, faulty article or not, there's still a topic at hand.

Zenotwapal

have a drink on me
Wait, isnt that like pokemon. Spending hours training to reach level 99. Hatching hundreds of eggs to get one with the right ability and IV's. EV training to get the perfect stats. Tons of other stuff.

There's something about MMORPGs that make them more addicting...

I really don't get the whole point of them, though.

There's something about MMORPGs that make them more addicting...

I really don't get the whole point of them, though.

Its better for people who have a problem talking to others face-to-face.
There's something about being able to talk to a person through another medium without having to look at them which makes it more appealing to us antisocial weirdos who still want to have friendships and such, but just can't talk to people.

Hell, if I don't have to use a telephone and be around someone to talk to them, its perfectly okay by me.

Which is probably why most of my friends are online. :X Bahaha.

Last edited:
But is that the only point?

I can't grasp why someone would devote their lives to a game?

Because, as I said, its much easier for some people to talk to people and socialize through a separate medium, pretty much living their lives online. Go to work, come home, hang out with people who share similar interests online.
Personally, I can't talk to people face-to-face. I can't look someone in the eye and talk and such. So, talking online is MUCH easier to get my point across.
Even when your posts are jumped over...:V

ChedWick

But is that the only point?

I can't grasp why someone would devote their lives to a game?

Not so much. Its really a whole other world. A huge world and there's a ton of lore behind it all.

Its a lot like console games where people play to progress through the story, obtain new, more powerful gear and defeat many bosses on their way to the final boss. It's the same with WoW but there's no end. New gear comes out as well as new content with new bosses. Its very easy to play too so that draws in a lot of people. There's just something about playing with people from all over the world that makes it very intriguing to a lot of people. It's not for everyone though.

The_Panda

恭喜發財
Not so much. Its really a whole other world. A huge world and there's a ton of lore behind it all.

Its a lot like console games where people play to progress through the story, obtain new, more powerful gear and defeat many bosses on their way to the final boss. It's the same with WoW but there's no end. New gear comes out as well as new content with new bosses. Its very easy to play too so that draws in a lot of people. There's just something about playing with people from all over the world that makes it very intriguing to a lot of people. It's not for everyone though.

First, not many players play it for the lore; and if they do they should go play Elder Scrolls of something. Second, it's not just that WoW is never-ending that makes it crap, it's the blandness in it's content. Click button. Click macro. Move to the side a little. Click button. Move mouse. Click button. You catch the drift. WoW is just insanely boring.

ChedWick

First, not many players play it for the lore; and if they do they should go play Elder Scrolls of something. Second, it's not just that WoW is never-ending that makes it crap, it's the blandness in it's content. Click button. Click macro. Move to the side a little. Click button. Move mouse. Click button. You catch the drift. WoW is just insanely boring.

First, read the conversation going on. Second, comprehend the conversation going on. I will emphasis my last sentence a little since you seemed to ignore it. WoW, Is Not For Everyone. You find it boring, over 7 million (or what ever number they are at now) apparently do not. I was simply pointing out some of the reasons its popular and why people play it. There are many more that others can come up with I'm sure but it being easy to play, never ending, and very social are some key ones I feel make it popular. Also, my point on it being never ending was a positive one. Want to see an end to a game? Don't play an MMO.

Last edited:

TogeticTheRuler

Some people's lives are so crappy and pathetic(Not because the person was born in a very poor family in a run down house working very hard just to get what they want, but because they are socially inept people who self-diagnose themselves with aspergers to make an excuse of their sorry lives because they are spoiled, hideous creatures who are too lazy to do something constructive in their lives) that they have to make a 'new life' in an MMORPG which usually tends to have lotsa features to do stuff that distracts from its pointless goal.

This stereotype fits a good majority of MMORPG addicts.

KingRaichu

Hail to da king baby
wow thats reidiculous. The future won't have some sort of science-fiction virtual world...simply because even though the number of MMORPG players is on the rise, they are still looked dwn upon greatly...as a result, they will probably be discouraged from playing it...that, and making tech like a fantasy RPG virtual world costs too much money...so Blizzard would never do it :D

Melloyu

I've played it for 3 months, after that, I wanted to burn it :)
the game is freaking boring >_>