• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

A Zero With No End! Till the Day We Meet Again!! (943)

Leonhart

Imagineer
ash&charizardfan said:
The thing is we have always seen kiss on the cheek like in movie 2 and movie 5, this was the first time the anime has seen a direct mouh to mouth kiss so they just made it offscreen.

My issue with it is that if it was going to be hidden anyway, then perhaps it shouldn't have even been devised in the first place since it changed nothing.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
My issue with it is that if it was going to be hidden anyway, then perhaps it shouldn't have even been devised in the first place since it changed nothing.

Because in Japan, the first kiss is sacred. Especially for romance. We have a trope for this kind of kiss:

Sacred First Kiss

This is a Japanese cultural trope. Whether they're a boy or a girl, a Japanese teen's first "adult" kiss on the lips is a momentous occasion. It is something to be built up to and shared with a very special person — something that is remembered for the rest of one's life. A spoiled or stolen first kiss is an occasion for profound angst and even anger. Consequently, in any anime plotline involving teen romance, the first kiss is an important milestone in the development of both self and relationship.

This is mostly because, unlike most Western countries, where kissing is between moderately special and outright mundane, kissing is seen as an extraordinarily intimate act in Japan, almost comparable in intimacy to sex in the West. It is not done in public (anime characters who do kiss in public are either shameless, extremely daring, Eaglelanders, or censored from the audience's view), and parents do not kiss where their children can see them. In effect, the first kiss is the harbinger of a teenager's entry into sexual maturity.

Serena's kiss fits that bill. She reserved it for Ash (and Ash alone) for being that special person of hers; she waited until she has to part ways with him; and the kiss is never shown to the audience. Many of us here have heard of the Sacred First Kiss and know that Pokémon is a children's show. They cannot get away with an on-screen kiss because it would be too explicit for the censors to handle. Thus, the creators had to do with the feet. The fact they cannot show the kiss actually makes it more powerful, because it means that Serena did in fact kissed Ash on the lips and she made the first important milestone in the development of both self and relationship.

The implication is clear: Ash and Serena will become a couple in the future. Sometime after the show, perhaps.

AuraChannelerChris

Easygoing Luxray.
Because in Japan, the first kiss is sacred. Especially for romance. We have a trope for this kind of kiss:

Sacred First Kiss

Serena's kiss fits that bill. She reserved it for Ash (and Ash alone) for being that special person of hers; she waited until she has to part ways with him; and the kiss is never shown to the audience. Many of us here have heard of the Sacred First Kiss and know that Pokémon is a children's show. They cannot get away with an on-screen kiss because it would be too explicit for the censors to handle. Thus, the creators had to do with the feet. The fact they cannot show the kiss actually makes it more powerful, because it means that Serena did in fact kissed Ash on the lips and she made the first important milestone in the development of both self and relationship.

The implication is clear: Ash and Serena will become a couple in the future. Sometime after the show, perhaps.
...Ash and (this) Serena aren't teenagers and never will be at this pace. Somehow. So I don't think that applies here.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I bet that in a few generations we'll get another female lead that has a crush on Ash and Serena's crush will be mostly forgotten about. The writers and higher ups love rehashing plots after all if most of the cotd/potd Team Rocket fillers are an indication of anything.

Shadao

Aim to be a Pokémon Master
...Ash and (this) Serena aren't teenagers and never will be at this pace. Somehow. So I don't think that applies here.

Yeah, if you call their character designs as a representation of "ten-year old." Though to be fair, no one can honestly say that Jotaro Kujo is 17 years old despite that being his canonical age. Artistic age is at play. XY Ash and Serena are 10 years old In Name Only. Plot wise and design wise, they have more in common with teenagers (Ash being more Shōnen than usual, Serena's love for Ash being treated seriously).

And really, it doesn't change the fact that Serena intentionally kissed Ash, despite this little nugget from that same Sacred First Kiss page:

Immature characters will be hesitant to even share drinks or do CPR on someone, for fear that this counts as an Indirect Kiss.

Really, not being a teenager aside, Serena's kiss fits the Sacred First Kiss trope perfectly from being reserved for a special person to not being shown on TV to get pass the censors.

I bet that in a few generations we'll get another female lead that has a crush on Ash and Serena's crush will be mostly forgotten about. The writers and higher ups love rehashing plots after all if most of the cotd/potd Team Rocket fillers are an indication of anything.

That's what they all said in early XY. That Serena's crush will be forgotten shortly after being introduced or would not lead anywhere by the end of the XY series. Hehehehe... How wrong we all were.

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
Just two notes about this episode.. surprised/disappointed Ash never got to say goodbye and/or thank you to Alexa, who is the person who even brought him to the region in the first place and then proceeded to become a recurring character in it.. it's not like they forgot about her either considering the very next week she appeared in a special. It didn't have to be in this exact episode, but in the four episodes of falling action in Lumiose City, there was more than enough time for a quick Ash/Alexa interaction/conversation of some sort.

And more than that, they could have at least shown her and what she's doing during the montage showing what all the rivals and Greninja etc are doing.

Second note.. And to our own way is bizarre.. wish they had stuck to Next Time! A New Beginning.. and another quick note on that.. I'm not sure why they didn't use that before XY&Z considering that they used it before Best Wishes! Season 2.

One question though - anyone know what was going on with Greninja? I assumed it will be stuck in Ash-Greninja, but this episode shows it reverted back to its regular self. Then how is it going to return to Ash-Greninja form without Ash? Doesn't it need to in order to use its sight powers and huge shuriken (which it somehow seemed to use in this episode without Ash-Greninja)? And if it isn't in Ash-Greninja form, doesn't the whole "we'll always be connected" line Ash said during Greninja's departure not make sense anymore?

The part I've bolded for you could be used to describe the entire Ash-Greninja arc.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
still epic, gonna loving rewatching this when I get to XYZ
While I prefer the OS and DP endings overall, the Ash/Clemont fight and the final scene felt just as, if not more emotional than them

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
While I prefer the OS and DP endings overall, the Ash/Clemont fight and the final scene felt just as, if not more emotional than them
I like the OS and AG endings the best. I like how right after Ash has won something, he loses to Gary to keep motivating him to go to the next region. I wish more recent generations did something similar. It doesn't have to be Gary btw. Just something that leads Ash from one region to the next. That stopped happening at the end of DP. But those OS and AG finales (not just final episode - obviously Hoenn Alone is a trash final episode - I'm talking about the last few episodes in general) are so much better than anything that came after it to me, because of the cliffhanger nature and how it sets up the next arc.

D

Deleted member 384931

Well I rewatched whole XYZ. This episode is special in my opinion, due the fact how mature Bonnie acts at saying goodbye. It may be not as emotional as the end of Sun and Moon, (doesnt have to be) but it portrays how close Ash, Bonnie, Clemont and Serena have become. Its also interesting that Alain request Ash to battle someday and not visa versa. I cant stop laughing at Clemonts reaction when Serena kisses Ash.

Best episode ever. So emotional. The true ending to the anime for me.

SERENA KISSED ASH IS THE BEST ANIME MOMENT EVER HSLHSKDVLSDVSKVDKSBSKVDOZSBKSKZ

AMOURSHIPPING IS CANON

I SHIP THEM SO HARD

Imo Ash definitely liked her because his eyes were shining and the director said that they’re supposed to become a couple in the future

Last edited:

Aryash Bajaj

Say I'm fat again!
Yes, but did she even earn the right to kiss him on the upper lip.

Did she not kiss him on the lower lip ?

AMOURSHIPPING IS CANON

I SHIP THEM SO HARD

Imo Ash definitely liked her because his eyes were shining and the director said that they’re supposed to become a couple in the future

Calm down.

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
Kind of sad how the director saying this and ash's eyes shining after getting kissed by his friend is the only basis for whether Ash feels the same or not. This is why i dont like amourshipping, it was always one sided and felt more as a bait than actual substance. Kukui Burnet remain the superior couple XD

Kind of sad how the director saying this and ash's eyes shining after getting kissed by his friend is the only basis for whether Ash feels the same or not. This is why i dont like amourshipping, it was always one sided and felt more as a bait than actual substance. Kukui Burnet remain the superior couple XD
There’s a lot of other hints for Ash as well, look on Bulbapedia. Plus he asked her to join him when he didn’t do that for anyone else.

At the beginning Ash was definitely dense but over XYZ he grew to develop a love for her

RafaSceptile

AMOURSHIPPING IS CANON

I SHIP THEM SO HARD

1) There is no true ending in this anime (sadly), Pokémon and Ash are eternal
2) Amourshipping isn't canon because Ash never showed any romantic interest by Serena

What if she got back at him for trolling her in Batting at full volume and ran away after saying "Iron Tail Pikachu" ?

Would also explain the the other worldly reaction of the siblings and Pikachu while Ash doesn't fully understand what is going on.
I like this theory more

Hey, is not fair because at least Kukui and Burnet were interested in each other.

RafaSceptile

There’s a lot of other hints for Ash as well, look on Bulbapedia. Plus he asked her to join him when he didn’t do that for anyone else.

At the beginning Ash was definitely dense but over XYZ he grew to develop a love for her
The fun fact is that not during XY, but during XYZ when Ash was so much more obssesed with Greninja than ever