• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

Abilities.

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
If I look up a pokemon on the Serebii dex, and it has two abilities written, how does that work?
Does the ability vary for the type of version?
Or do you just get either by chance when you catch it, so one or the other? Or do they both and you just can only read one?

knac

Philly Eagles Fan
On that note, do you have to worry about the ability changing when a Pokemon evolves?

Ex. Magnemite has Magnet Pull, when it evolves to Magneton is there a chance that the ability will change to Sturdy?

If it does, can you simply reset and evolve again to try to get it to stay as Magnet Pull, or is the ability 'locked in' at the time of capture/hatching the same way IVs are?

I'm curious.

Sion9

no, the nature will stay the same (unless it has to change because the evolved form only has 1 possible nature)

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
Wow, i didnt know this thread was even alive....

no, the nature will stay the same (unless it has to change because the evolved form only has 1 possible nature)

He's talking about abilities, not natures, read their post befroe you reply...

As to answer knacs question, there would be a chance itd change to sturdy, if sturdy was the only nature it would definitly change, if it were one of two it would have a 50% chance of changning.

Last edited:

knac

Philly Eagles Fan
Thanks Conquistador. I revived the thread (and signed up) because 1) I had been lurking all this time and 2) it was already kind of relevant to my question anyway. Sorry if I ended up hijacking it.

Anyways this will help tons for in-game training. For example, if I want a Magneton with Magnet Pull, I can catch either a Magnemite with Magnet Pull OR Sturdy and I'll still have a chance of getting Magnet Pull on Magneton.

Of course, this is all in preparation for D/P where I will be looking to raise a Magnezone and I just wanted to make sure that the abilities would be by chance rather than locked in at capture. So when I end up evolving Magneton to Magnezone, if it doesn't have Magnet Pull then I can just reset and re-evolve until it does.

Scepgatr

knac, abilities are "Locked". If Magnemite has Magnet Pull, then it remains the same upon evolving. It doesn't change to Sturdy. The only time, abilities change is for example when a Slakoth evolves into Vigoroth. Truant Ability changes into Vital Spirit.

Conquistador

Vive la Revolution!
O really?

How do u get a Ryperior with hard rock then?

Is it only if u have rock head with rydon, because thats the only one that doesnt exist in ryperior? (i no that doesnt really explain it in detail, but u get wat i mean)

Last edited:

_Aerodactyl_

Skilled Trainer
It means that it has a chance too get 1 of the 2 abilities ;)

knac

Philly Eagles Fan
Roger that, thanks for the help guys. This'll help clear up what I need to accomplish capturing-wise. Cheers.